• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Red Steel 2 trailer!

scitek

EmCeeGramr said:
Eh? It's an internal trailer for marketing purposes.

They've said in interviews that mistakes were made with Red Steel 1. Heck, you just mentioned that in your next paragraph!

Yeah, I know, and that's the thing, this team just seems to have no clue about anything. They say they were rushed with the first game and had trouble working with tech they'd never used before, but here they are again, making RS2 in around the same development time and CENTERING the game around new tech they've never used before.

I'm also one of those people that just doesn't think a proper 1:1 sword-fighting game can be done in an open-world setting on current-day hardware...especially not the Wii. The AI would have to be so fucking smart to anticipate the moves that you would probably get frustrated and quit, anyway.

This game will probably be similar to the first in that it has canned animations for the strikes and blocks, they'll just work more correctly because of the added precision. I think anyone that is expecting a truly mind-blowing experience with 1:1 swordplay and the like is setting themselves up for a huge letdown.

When I watched it in "HD" on Youtube there was no AA. I'm not so sure it was CG, but I don't think thats how the final game will look either. This trailer is likely being rendered in 720p, but my guess is the final game will be the traditional 480p.

iefrqp.gif

John's dream was to someday shoot guys sideways....Unlike his Father, a straight, Aim-by-matching-up-the-sights-properly kind of guy. Tragically...On a mission one night he snuck through the back of a building in a assassination attempt. the opening was not large enough to allow straight sight line up, but his father...stubborn til the end, thought he could pull it off, unfortunately....he missed. And the villians came out to give him a long slumber. John vowed he would not repeat the mistakes of his father.

infinityBCRT said:
When I watched it in "HD" on Youtube there was no AA. I'm not so sure it was CG, but I don't think thats how the final game will look either. This trailer is likely being rendered in 720p, but my guess is the final game will be the traditional 480p.
Unless Nintendo has a REALLY HUGE announcement lined up for E3 I'd say that's a given :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maybe you tilt the wiimote sideways to quickly switch to the gun?

infinityBCRT said:
This trailer is likely being rendered in 720p, but my guess is the final game will be the traditional 480p.

Seeing as how that's the max output of the Wii I'd say your guess is probably right ;p

scitek said:
BTW, I don't see an aiming reticule in the trailer when he's using the gun. Is it just going to auto-aim?

It was pre-rendered using the game engine, so it didn't have any of the HUD.

scitek

AceBandage said:
It was pre-rendered using the game engine, so it didn't have any of the HUD.

But the gun doesn't move at all. It just shoots to the left of the guy by a good 4 feet or so and still hits him.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Saint Gregory said:
Unless Nintendo has a REALLY HUGE announcement lined up for E3 I'd say that's a given :lol

IGN said F5 was looking at making a 720p Wii game, dunno if anything ever came out of that though.

scitek said:
But the gun doesn't move at all. It just shoots to the left of the guy by a good 4 feet or so and still hits him.

WTF are you talking about...? The guy aims, it shows the gun aimed at the on screen enemy and he shoots him. The gun wasn't shown moving because it showed the guy moving his arm instead

scitek

Zoramon089 said:
WTF are you talking about...? The guy aims, it shows the gun aimed at the on screen enemy and he shoots him. The gun wasn't shown moving because it showed the guy moving his arm instead

Nm

Not excited until I see someone playing the game. Anyone can cut together a trailer.
See: Miami Vice.

Also, not a huge fan of the drab skintones color scheme either. Hopefully looks a little more enticing later too.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
JDSN said:
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, im probably doomed1.
dude, seriously, that's cold :lol

i'm sold on the concept, and the graphics in the trailer are reasonable. what i actually care about is the gameplay. i'm sold on the concept, all that really remains is the application. i'll reserve final judgment until E3 whether they have the combat down, absolute judgment until i have it in my hands and have played it. don't think me naive just because i'm an optimist and don't just jump on the game for some minor but obvious touch-ups. i don't usually get to say it, but i'm pro-bullshot, at least as far as cleaning up aliasing and such. screens are just supposed to give an idea for how the game is supposed to look, much like this trailer is supposed to give an idea of how it's played. we'll know how well it does that after E3.

also, seriously scitek, chill out. there's nothing to hate the game for yet. if we can't trust this trailer, then ignore it.

maniac-kun said:
i dont get why they fight with swords first.. just shoot the guy and hes dead?
1) In Nintendo Power it was revealed that some of the enemies have bulletproof armor (that of course a katana can cut through because katanas are like magic and can cut through anything)

2) Given what the video showed (he only shoots the enemy after breaking his sword) it seems that the enemies might have the ability to deflect your shots with their swords

Metal Gear?! said:
1) In Nintendo Power it was revealed that some of the enemies have bulletproof armor (that of course a katana can cut through because katanas are like magic and can cut through anything)

Well, to be fair, bullet proof vests are useless against blades or sharp points. That's why Cop Killer bullets have sharp triangular points.

Akai

Metal Gear?! said:
2) Given what the video showed (he only shoots the enemy after breaking his sword) it seems that the enemies might have the ability to deflect your shots with their swords

Might? The player tries to get off a few shots when the big baddie charges, and he deflects them...

Ether_Snake said:
Told you guys it would take a bit of time before the "Nintendo quality games" Guillemot mentioned would show up. You don't adjust your corporate strategy in a month.
Nintendo quality games are judged by pre-rendered promotional trailers now?

That being said, I'm definitely interested in this.

scitek said:
I'd like to see something representative of the final product, not a bullshit render. The fact that the first game's trailers showed a game that looked WAY better than the final product ended up looking is enough reason to not give this one a second glance.
It's Ubisoft, they do it all the time.

Threi

notag
infinityBCRT said:
This trailer is likely being rendered in 720p, but my guess is the final game will be the traditional 480p.
wow don't go too far out there with those wild guesses, anything could happen.

hellclerk

Pennywise83 said:
Are you serious dude? Do you really belive that Nintendo will coming out with a 720p Wi support?
i think your sarcasm meter is broken, especially considering who you're responding to...

Dascu

So, that basically confirmed my suspicions that the scans with the enemy with the red/white mask were renders, whereas the other scans (that didn't have those post-processing effects) are actual screenshots (minus the AA bullshottery and such).

hellclerk

Dascu said:
So, that basically confirmed my suspicions that the scans with the enemy with the red/white mask were renders, whereas the other scans (that didn't have those post-processing effects) are actual screenshots (minus the AA bullshottery and such).
eh, i'm still pretty certain that the trailer is running the Wii engine just on more powerful hardware. the only post processing effect i really noticed was the AA, and that makes sense if this is supposed to be shown on a big screen. other than that, it's all more than possible.

pakkit

Banned
doomed1 said:
other than that, it's all more than possible.
I don't think anyone said it wasn't possible (besides the resolution). Punch Out! looks brilliant and MadWorld is astonishingly pretty. I just doubt that Ubisoft Paris did it.

doomed1 said:
eh, i'm still pretty certain that the trailer is running the Wii engine just on more powerful hardware. the only post processing effect i really noticed was the AA, and that makes sense if this is supposed to be shown on a big screen. other than that, it's all more than possible.
and just what makes you the expert on this?

Ramenman

Are we sure it's CGI or is it just an ass-umption ?

Unless basic geometry and weird shadows are part of the style, I'd say it's pretty shitty for CG.

However as graphics for a Wii game, they're quite well done.

This doesn't show shit about gameplay though, but I didn't really expected it to.

Edit : WTF people are over-analyzing this 1:30 teaser with nothing to show :lol Slow news days.

hellclerk

pakkit said:
I don't think anyone said it wasn't possible (besides the resolution). Punch Out! looks brilliant and MadWorld is astonishingly pretty. I just doubt that Ubisoft Paris did it.
2 and a half years with the tech, just working on this game mean anything? sure, they scrapped one concept just last year, but that doesn't mean they get rid of all the effects code and assets, that would just be a waste of money. i expect the actual game to look like this, albeit at a lower resolution with much more aliasing, but that's fine by me. what matters is the gameplay. even if i'm wrong, i'll still enjoy it as long as the gameplay holds up.

AzureNightmareXE said:
and just what makes you the expert on this?
common sense?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Certainly bullshit in regards to the animation, lack of HUD, and 720p rendering. Otherwise I don't really see it as impossible to do on the Wii.

Just look at it again. Poly counts are really very quite low (check out the character's arms), cel-shading isn't particularly mind blowing, and the original Red Steel had depth of field whenever swords clashed.

Seems like the ingame engine to me, just rendered in a higher, crisper resolution.

aeolist

Banned
I don't think the Wii could manage the motion blur either.

Or maybe it could but Ubisoft isn't the company that would manage it.

Top Bottom