• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Red Steel 2 trailer!

Haunted said:
Think, McFly, think!

Do you really think that a game like red steel @ 60 fps could do self shadowing on every enemies displayed ?

I know wii could technically do self shadowing, but there seems to be very few games (none ? ) who do this and I don't see red steel 2 using it like in those shots.

But I must be wrong, ubisoft paris is a technical monster like factor 5 and this trailer is obviously real time.

Buggy Loop

@ 0:57, if thats motion+ having 1:1 (which we know it can do) on screen, im sold, sorry but it'll be the first time a game does sword playing right.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Guled said:
IndianaJones.gif
Why would you fuck a perfect gif with text?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
ok, i'm going to be blunt

THIS GAME IS OUT IN SIX MONTHS.

to be more specific, if they aren't happy with their gameplay footage NOW, they won't be releasing this game until 2010. what we have here is real gameplay footage, UPSCALED. basically, they ran a section of the game with the dev team in house, and then ran the sequence through a PC development station. here, they applied a higher resolution and increased AA. there is ONE reason why they would do this. this video is meant to be presented on a LARGE screen, like, i don't know, one at E3! my money is that this is the E3 trailer, leaked. good money that they'll have some gameplay on whatever stage they present this on.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Shaheed79 said:
No it is definitely not CG and is most likely using enhanced in game assets. I stated that it was a cut scene meaning pre-baked animations give a sense of gameplay. The animation looked way too smooth to be in-game imo. The Wii is definitely capable of those graphics.

Not that clean.

Plus it's full of post process effects that the Wii can't do.

Ashodin

scitek said:
No way it looks that good, and Ubisoft can eat a dick for leaving out blood again. Pass.
I believe another GAFfer said it succinctly that they already get enough blood out of other games. I watched that trailer and I didn't think "aww, where's the blood?" I thought "holy shit, check out the action".

billy.sea

Banned
The style looks 1000x better than the original game. Granted the original game art style was horrible.

Hopefully they can pull a Killzone revitalization of a hyped IP.

scitek

Maxrpg said:
I believe another GAFfer said it succinctly that they already get enough blood out of other games. I watched that trailer and I didn't think "aww, where's the blood?" I thought "holy shit, check out the action".

I thought, "Red Steel PC bullshit target render that will never be achieved...AGAIN." Not falling for this crap a second time.

RyuKanSan

Maxrpg said:

hahahaha so true, i didn't even know there was no blood shown. "I was like wow this look really good. and i haven't seen the old wii trailers like this in awhile. and also damnit why doesn't he just shot to kill?"

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RyuKanSan said:
the art style of this trailer kinda remind me of prince of persia or something

Well, it is Ubisoft.

EmCeeGramr said:
oh no the guy was holding the controller sideways but the gun wasn't tilted :((((((((

I noticed that too. :( RIP gangstou style

Chowfahn

Neo Member
Anyone else laugh their ass off at the bald guy having so much fun shooting the enemy in the face? Just loop 1:04 to 1:11 a few times.

Meesh

Humunahumunahumunahumuna...

Soswesomeohmygodspanuuuuuuuuuuuuuud!!!:D

Mixture between Ninja scroll/Afro Samurai/Fist of the North Star, and Mad World(without blood).

The anime references of Ninja Scroll and Afro because of the lone, unconventional samurai character who follows his own path (and rules, carries gun, duster). Fist of the North, because it's set in a desolate post apocalyptic world, probably ruled by a power hungry despot, and your fighting ability does the talking for you...out to save the love of his life?

Mad World, because all the baddies have hockey masks, and despite the lack of blood, it looks incredibly bad ass...even with cel shading...that's all I got. :p

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Ether_Snake said:
Not that clean.

Plus it's full of post process effects that the Wii can't do.
like? the AA is obvious, i know, but the lighting is possible, and has been done, the motion blur is VERY minor and only effects one model, not to mention it's not like blur hasn't been done before on wii either. basically, it's what to expect from the game on shelves. in 6 months.

did anyone else notice the different samurai and western movie posters on the walls? they only showed one clearly, but it's probably related to the dev team giving nods to various influences.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
doomed1 said:
ok, i'm going to be blunt

THIS GAME IS OUT IN SIX MONTHS.

to be more specific, if they aren't happy with their gameplay footage NOW, they won't be releasing this game until 2010. what we have here is real gameplay footage, UPSCALED. basically, they ran a section of the game with the dev team in house, and then ran the sequence through a PC development station. here, they applied a higher resolution and increased AA. there is ONE reason why they would do this. this video is meant to be presented on a LARGE screen, like, i don't know, one at E3! my money is that this is the E3 trailer, leaked. good money that they'll have some gameplay on whatever stage they present this on.

i kinda feel bad doing this... but i think you're setting yourself up for some fairly sizable disappointment. i dont know anything about this revamped version of the title, but my gut tells me you're reaching here...

scitek

f3niks said:
I have a hard time getting excited about this one. I was seriously let down by the first one.

Yeah, and the thought that the same team that brought us the first game can be clueless enough about the direction they want the sequel to go to want to scrap it completely and start over just because some new hardware is introduced, makes me chuckle. Then, the notion that this same team could actually have figured out in less than a year with said hardware, how to successfully make the world's first ever 1:1 sword-fighting game with it, makes me laugh-out-fucking-loud. To add to it, the first trailer for the game is one EXACTLY like the trailers that showed doctored, bullshit renditions of the first game in the series, and it's completely sapped any interest I might have had for this project from existence.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This FMV did nothing for me really, but I'm still curious why this will be WM+ exclusive.

Threi

notag
scitek said:
I thought, "Red Steel PC bullshit target render that will never be achieved...AGAIN." Not falling for this crap a second time.
well it IS a wii game...what the hell are you expecting?

Meesh

scitek said:
Yeah, and the thought that the same team that brought us the first game can be clueless about the direction they want the sequel to go enough to want to scrap it completely and start over just because some new hardware is introduced, makes me chuckle. Then, the notion that this same team could actually have figured out in less than a year with said hardware, how to successfully make the world's first ever 1:1 sword-fighting game with it, makes me laugh-out-fucking-loud. To add to it, the first trailer for the game is one EXACTLY like the trailers that showed doctored, bullshit renditions of the first game in the series, and it's completely sapped any interest I might have had for this project from existence.

jeez, you really know how to bring a guy down a couple notches ;P

I skeptical as well, but still remaining optimistic...don't you think they learned any lessons from the first RS?

scitek

Threi said:
well it IS a wii game...what the hell are you expecting?

I'd like to see something representative of the final product, not a bullshit render. The fact that the first game's trailers showed a game that looked WAY better than the final product ended up looking is enough reason to not give this one a second glance.

pakkit

Banned
Threi said:
you know the demo just confirmed that M+ is not glued to the condom...
We've known that for several weeks now.

Buggy Loop said:
@ 0:57, if thats motion+ having 1:1 (which we know it can do) on screen, im sold, sorry but it'll be the first time a game does sword playing right.
Too bad Wii Sports Resort comes out before this?

scitek said:
Yeah, and the thought that the same team that brought us the first game can be clueless enough about the direction they want the sequel to go to want to scrap it completely and start over just because some new hardware is introduced, makes me chuckle. Then, the notion that this same team could actually have figured out in less than a year with said hardware, how to successfully make the world's first ever 1:1 sword-fighting game with it, makes me laugh-out-fucking-loud.
Well, they supposedly scrapped it completely and started over again because of both MotionPlus AND that the current build wasn't working out well.

That, and if it has MotionPlus it's not like it's suddenly an impossible feat to successfully make approximate 1:1 sword-fighting.

Buggy Loop said:
@1:08 the guy is holding the wiimote sideways but the gun on the screen is held straight

Holding gun sideways>Swordplay

scitek

Evilink said:
jeez, you really know how to bring a guy down a couple notches ;P

I skeptical as well, but still remaining optimistic...don't you think they learned any lessons from the first RS?

I hope they did learn from their mistakes the first time around, but the fact that they're trumpeting the first game as a rousing success in this trailer shows they're really proud of themselves for a mediocre product because it sold well and was on the system early. That sort of concerns me because if they're happy with the first game, then why would they change what they think worked?

Also, the guy in the Nintendo Power interview said being rushed was one of their main problems last time, but they've only been working on this game since LAST SUMMER! I don't care how much of the concept they had before they got their hands on Motion-plus, there's absolutely no way they could have planned the game's mechanics around a peripheral they had no idea existed, so the actual combat system, etc. can't have been in development for anymore than when they first got their M+ dev kits.

I'm just not convinced they'll have had enough time to iron everything out with this new technology... I mean, as far as I know, (that's not much btw, I'm a speculative whore) it's NEVER been used in gaming before. I'd love to be proven wrong in my thinking, though, but the first game is one of the few that I really felt literally deceived by the demos and things that were shown of it leading up to its release, and as such, this dev team has a nasty place in my mind as a bunch of liars.

God damn it, I can't allow myself to get excited.

Ubishit . . . this game is getting to me. I fear a E3 demo may be enuff to push me over the edge!

scitek said:
I hope they did learn from their mistakes the first time around, but the fact that they're trumpeting the first game as a rousing success in this trailer shows they're really proud of themselves for a mediocre product because it sold well and was on the system early. That sort of concerns me because if they're happy with the first game, then why would they change what they think worked?
Eh? It's an internal trailer for marketing purposes.

They've said in interviews that mistakes were made with Red Steel 1. Heck, you just mentioned that in your next paragraph!

Top Bottom