• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for the Emoji Movie (take a wild guess!!!!!!)

Brakke

Banned
from the AV Club review:

Good. Lord. I kinda want to see this just for the cringe factor.

Christ.

At the IMAX theatre in Seattle, there's a little "thanks to the Science Center donors" reel that plays. It's aerial shots of the city and voice-over goes "Seattle, center of innovation" or whatever and then a bunch of voices call out Seattle companies. "Boeing! Microsoft! Paccar! Amazon!" etc.

It sounds like they just took that but then decided "what if instead of a forty second thing, we make it a full movie".

Shaanyboi

Banned
I love how every actor interviewed on a late night talk show about this sounds like they're disappointed their career has come to this. Like they don't even shy away from making fun of it.

The Poochie of fucking movies wow what a dumpster fire.

And TJ Miller was pretty hyped about this movie, praising it.

giphy.gif

I dunno, Raul Julia looks like he's having the time of his life in Street Fighter.

Oh, of course! And he was definitely the highlight of that movie.

And I give props to Patrick Stewart, I bet he got a very decent paycheck for a few days of work playing a literal piece of shit, haha.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Donald Trump is President of the United States, fertility rates are plummeting and the Emoji movie is about to come out.

Swell.

Kthulhu

Donald Trump is President of the United States, fertility rates are plummeting and the Emoji movie is about to come out.

Swell.

Also the Great Barrier Reef is dying and antibiotics resistance will soon potentially end modern medicine as we know it.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/the-emoji-movie-will-send-you-into-a-spiral-emoji-of-despair.html

This is a film that seems beamed from a near future in which nothing goes right; “words,” as the kids in the film agree, “aren’t cool” anymore; and Patrick Stewart making jokes about soft shits is the new prestige TV. But what do I know? At my screening, which was for both press and a handful of unfortunate families, at the first sighting of her favorite rainbow-colored icon, a little girl behind me cried out, adoringly, “It’s Instagram!” A new age of heroes is born.

D:

So it's like Read Player One for kids, then.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Reminder: Sony killed Genndy's Popeye movie in favor of this.

At least it got us Samurai Jack's conclusion but still.

Sony, why does everything you touch turn to trash?

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
While it would probably be great for the movie industry and humanity in general for this to fail, this may be review proof. Just worked on a user's computer and everyone in the cubicles sounded very excited for this movie.

11 rotten reviews in and still no Tomatometer? How many does a movie need before they display the score in RT?

EDIT: 12 rottens now, still no tomatometer! I wanna see that 0%

Top Bottom