• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle Review Thread

gatti-man

Basically a sequel without an original idea. Nothing bad, but simply, everything was done better in the original.

Did the original have electric lassos or Elton John? No? Okay then!

In all seriousness the movie is good just not amazing. It felt unedited at times, as in self indulgent. I'd give it a B+ and definitely glad I saw it. The two other people that went with me liked it as well.

nath999

So this was the end of the Kingsman franchise and Eggsy right?

I assume Fox will launch Statesman franchise with Channing Tatum and company while finding a new director.

Aselith

Saw it and loved it. Theatre clapped and cheered afterwards which made me feel good because usually I work on trash movies. :3

Regarding Merlin:

We actually worked on a scene where he crawls into the diner at the end missing his legs. The story was his suit is armor which protected his body or something. I was surprised to see that cut from the final cut considering they added it because people in focus tests were upset about Merlin's death.

Maybe they will add it back in directors cut or something.

That means he's coming back! Fuck yeah. Maybe they cut it to be a surprise in the next one.

This movie was disappointing. It was too long, though I did have a chuckle or too. Nowhere near as good as the first one. I thought Colin Firth's role was very weak, as was the main villain, who
never even left her base.
I kind of just want to watch the first one and forget this entry. Channing Tatum was barely in it too, although that may be
to set up a sequel?
Also,
Merlin's death
seems like it was really shoehorned in, although it was emotional and one of the best parts of the film.

I watched the first movie for the first time today and then went to see this. I gotta say the second was better. The action was a lot better and the villains are a lot better.

I also am not sure why you guys think the characters even matter. Except for Eggsy, Harry and Merlin these movies added no character to anyone. If you're sad for anyone that does in either one, you've attributed onto them personality that doesn't exist in the movies.

I will say I would like a 4 hour cut. The movie had a few references that made little sense.

Why not, ya know, remove the references that go nowhere, rather than making an already overlong movie longer?

Meh. I think all the criticisms are pretty much on the mark here. It's shockingly unfun even when crazy shit is going down, and simultaneously way too long and undercooked in almost department. And the villain was terrible, not well written and Julianne Moore felt like a miscast.

The nadir of the whole film, though, was Eggsy
having to put device into a woman's vagina mere moments after we find out femile Golden Circle operatives have tramp stamps
. Fucking stunningly cringeworthy.

Bebpo

Banned
The country roads scene was definitely the best scene in the movie. The problem is that there wasn't a lot of human emotion in the film because everything was so cartoony outside that scene. More scenes like that in Kingsman 3 plz.

Jaraghan

Just saw it. I definitely do not think it was as good as the first one. It was decent though.

The Elton bits slayed the audience too.

Gilzor

Also did yall notice Henry Jackman literally used his very own score from Xmen First Class Magneto turning the Cerebro dome scene

That isn't especially new for Vaughn -- Kick-Ass (and even Kick-Ass II) wonderfully repurposed sections of John Murphy's incredible Adagio In D Minor from Danny Boyle's Sunshine. Such as in the scene where Hit Girl rescues Big Daddy.

gatti-man

Meh. I think all the criticisms are pretty much on the mark here. It's shockingly unfun even when crazy shit is going down, and simultaneously way too long and undercooked in almost department. And the villain was terrible, not well written and Julianne Moore felt like a miscast.

having to put device into a woman's vagina mere moments after we find out femile Golden Circle operatives have tramp stamps

It was a fun movie and my sold out theater all seemed to like it. That scene was pure comedy. I didn't take that character as an operative but more as a groupie especially when she has to call her bf to get an antidote who was the real operative.

The action scenes were fun. It's hard for me to think anyone disputes that.

So this was the end of the Kingsman franchise and Eggsy right?

I assume Fox will launch Statesman franchise with Channing Tatum and company while finding a new director.

Nah next one they will kill off the princess and revive the other girl and make her the love interest.

BTW I wonder how much Tatum got paid to show up in 1/
of the movie.

Wag

Nah next one they will kill off the princess and revive the other girl and make her the love interest.

BTW I wonder how much Tatum got paid to show up in 1/
of the movie.

Hahaha. When they
froze him
I thought it was an easy way to keep him from being in most of the movie.

That isn't especially new for Vaughn -- Kick-Ass (and even Kick-Ass II) wonderfully repurposed sections of John Murphy's incredible Adagio In D Minor from Danny Boyle's Sunshine. Such as in the scene where Hit Girl rescues Big Daddy.

He also used 28 days later's theme for the scene where Big Daddy is recorded taking out the warehouse.

v1lla21

Too long and undercooked is a fair assessment. I enjoyed it though. Sometimes I was the only one laughing in the theater though. Movie felt very comic bookish and cartoonish which I thought was cool. Elton John scenes were funny.

Loved it. It was a little too long. There seem to be moments that were done over at over that didn't add to the movie. The effects of the blue rash, stating that the Statesmen had significant resources, too much time getting Harry back. Also Julianne Moore, while still a good villain, was a step down from Samuel L. Jackson.

That said, the action scenes exceeded the first film in ways I didn't think it was possible. It also was more emotional which I didn't expect. Also loved Elton John.

I was expecting to be disappointed given the impressions in this thread but even that didn't prepare me for how letdown I ended up being. It was worse than the original in pretty much all the ways that really matter. I suppose that the action was superior in some of the scenes. The car chase at the beginning was certainly nice but beyond that...eh.

2/5

Geist-

Am I the only one bugging out that they killed off the only female kingsman member???
The movie basically ends with a 'join the boys club only if we say so' thing.

Movie treats females in an embarrassing way.
I kept expecting Roxy to pop back up to save the day, right up to the end.

Then again, considering this is based on a Mark Millar comic maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Watch this last night, eh the first one is the better movie as the golden circle just never hit the high of first movie.

Am I the only one bugging out that they killed off the only female kingsman member???
The movie basically ends with a 'join the boys club only if we say so' thing.

Movie treats females in an embarrassing way.

The finger condom scene was just stupid, but yeah them killing off the female kingman was just dumb.

Holy moly, that was a bad movie. It really was going to live and die by the ending. If the 3rd act was great, I could see enjoying this, but the 3rd act action was god awful. Elton was terrible. The final final fight was good at least.

And fuck them for
killing off Roxy
. As much as I love Merlin, I couldn't help but think how much more enjoyable a movie it would have been with her in Merlin's place.

kirblar

re: the finger scene

It is deliberately trying to make you incredibly uncomfortable in the same way the sex joke at the end of Kingsman 1 did w/ the "sex as a reward" trope. It's taking the "seduce an enemy agent" trope from spy movies and just laying it out there in a way that exposes it as being gross.

It is deliberately trying to make you incredibly uncomfortable in the same way the sex joke at the end of Kingsman 1 did w/ the "sex as a reward" trope. It's taking the "seduce an enemy agent" trope from spy movies and just laying it out there in a way that exposes it as being gross.

Yeah, this. Both of these movies are wildly misinterpreted. Like, people were straight up offended by a consensual anal sex joke in the first movie that was meant to show you exactly what James Bond was doing with women throughout that franchise.

Sydle

That was fun. Liked it a lot except for what happened to a couple of the characters. I could see myself watching this one a dozen or so times like I did with the original.

I'm looking forward to seeing where they go next.

dcelw540

I liked it but overall it's was a bit to long but at the same time things felt they were missing. Also that "cameo" went on way to long. The Mark Hammill cameo in the first one was perfect this one not so much.

I'm not gonna give the movie THAT much credit (it was still unnecessary and the in-universe character that created that device is a total pervert), but it's hard for me to get mad at what would've been consensual sex between two adults. Don't get me wrong, I cringed hard when it was first suggested, but I honestly didn't mind the execution.

Especially when you have James Bond just appearing behind sex slaves in the shower or forcing himself on widows the day of their evil husband's funeral.

jackal27

Banned
Loved the first one and had a lot of fun with Golden Circle, but man it was a mess...

Felt much goofier and over the top than the first, which would have been fine had it had those moments to emotionally ground it as well. Some stuff seems to kind of come out of nowhere and any explanation is... Unsatisfying. I felt like the first had such a perfect arc and structure while still being over-the-top in the best way. This one feels like somebody needed to reign the whole production in. Also,
they seriously killed of Roxie that early on? My wife tuned out after that. She was a great character. Sucks they couldn't do more with her. They killed off a lot of folks actually. To the point where it sort of loses any weight.

The Elton John stuff was basically the action movie equivalent of a Family Guy cutaway gag.

Crap movie. Not so crap that I felt the ticket was entirely wasted, but still a pretty big turd.

The movie is trying to have it both ways, then, because the film certainly frames it as anything but awkward for Eggsy once the camera locks on to and follows every curve of Poppy Delevingne's body. But it's okay because Eggsy is totally torn up about it. Until he does it. And then it's okay anyway because he saves his girlfriend's life, or something.

Not that rich a satire, unfortunately. Fucking Ausin Powers 1 satirized that part of the spy film genre better.

Yeah, I think the movie fell flat for me overall. Some neat action sequences but everything around that was just so lame. And the specific part you mentioned was incredibly awkward and bad. I can’t tell if it was supposed to be humor or not. There was even a really good and easy “out” that would subvert what the audience expected and they didn’t go for it.

kirblar

The movie is trying to have it both ways, then, because the film certainly frames it as anything but awkward for Eggsy once the camera locks on to and follows every curve of Poppy Delevingne's body. But it's okay because Eggsy is totally torn up about it. Until he does it. And then it's okay anyway because he saves his girlfriend's life, or something.

Not that rich a satire, unfortunately. Fucking Ausin Powers 1 satirized that part of the spy film genre better.
Here's stuff from Vaugn and the guy who plays Eggsy on it - http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/22/kingsman-golden-circle-sex-scene/

That tracking shot does not read "sexy" at all to someone who isn't attracted to women.

The director hangs a lantern on things, but he also tries to have it both ways, and just amplifying something doesn’t make it satire or transgressive.

Or funny, for that matter.

Here's stuff from Vaugn and the guy who plays Eggsy on it - http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/22/kingsman-golden-circle-sex-scene/

That tracking shot does not read "sexy" at all to someone who isn't attracted to women.

“[The joke] is a celebration of women and the woman being empowered in a weird way in my mind, which will cause a big argument again I’m sure. It’s meant to be tongue-in-cheek and crazy.”

Empowered.

Until she needs her psycho ex boyfriend to saves her because despite being an initiated member of the Circle who know about the antidote, she needs a guy's help to save her life. Until she's murdered by him within 5 minutes of getting her dose. Such celebration. Much empowerment. Wow.

kirblar

Empowered.

Until she needs her psycho ex boyfriend to saves her because despite being an initiated member of the Circle who know about the antidote, she needs a guy's help to save her life. Until she's murdered by him within 5 minutes of getting her dose. Such celebration. Much empowerment. Wow.
That's in reference to the first film.

In both movies its the equivalent of mashing the piano keys during a symphony. It's meant to be jarring and take you out of it to pay attention in something that's otherwise a cartoonish love letter to Bond movies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This movie continues the villains being proponents of left wing causes.
First movie it was a climate change activist, now it's drug legalisation.
And before anyone comes up and says, 'they're villains because they're psychopaths, not because of what they stand for', the movie is not subtle at all with the messaging. "I told you that stuff was bad for you" and "I'm never touching that again!", about the weed. "From now on, stick to booze." Please.
The gentleman tailored suits rags to riches thing is a vehicle for Matthew Vaughn's conservatism.

Jarmel

Banned
My favourite scene was probably the "Word Up" fight that was filmed to look like it was shot with one take. It's a pretty cool twist on the church scene, since it was much more personal, being
a two-on-one with Whiskey vs. Harry and Eggsy
compared to the one vs. everybody church scene.

Also, here's the Country version of Word Up in case you want to listen to it.

I thought the final fight was much better than the one in the first movie. It's a shame that the rest leading to it wasn't as good.

When the movie actually does the hyperkinetic action sequences, they're really good but there's not enough.

Top Bottom