• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Ryse Review

I've never really understood the outrage over micro-transactions. I mean you don't have to pay for it but you have the opinion to pay for it to unlock all the powers. Is it money grubbing? Yes. But it doesn't get my enraged like some of your guys. I'm playing to just play the game and ignore that part of it.

Orca

You are literally paying them twice not to even play the game.

Baffling.

The only reason they do it is because enough people buy it to make it worthwhile. I don't really care in single player games - it just sucks when they let it affect multiplayer.

sn00zer

Remember when there were comparisons with GOW because of QTEs lol.

funniest thing about QTEs and God of War is that its the only game where they are really well implemented..... but man Ryse's combat looks so choppy compared to even Japanese action games

antitrop

nib95

Banned
Someone better be getting ready to put Senjutsu on life support.

As soon as I heard when the review embargo was up, it all but confirmed my fears about this game.

He's been doing pre-emptive review damage control all week. I don't think this will change much.

hawk2025

This fucking game has microtransactions, a season pass, and costs $60.

I've never really understood the outrage over micro-transactions. I mean you don't have to pay for it but you have the opinion to pay for it to unlock all the powers. Is it money grubbing? Yes. But it doesn't get my enraged like some of your guys. I'm playing to just play the game and ignore that part of it.

Because microtransactions do not exist on a vacuum. They fundamentally affect game design.

nib95

Banned
Kollar is pretty shit too.

Gave Forza Horizon a 6 and The Last of Us a 7.5. Can't respect him after that.

The fuck...that guy has awful opinions. Perhaps even worse than Gies lol. Jk...nobody can top Gies for awful opinions except maybe Kuchera.

Yeah even when everybody was raging over it being in Dead Space 3 it never bothered me because they gave you so much ammo and weapon parts that it was non-factor. Its only an issue if you can purchase your way to better weapons in a competitive multiplayer game.

funniest thing about QTEs and God of War is that its the only game where they are really well implemented..... but man Ryse's combat looks so choppy compared to even Japanese action games

I wouldn't say it's the only game (RE4 did them pretty well and Quantic Dream's stuff is pretty good if you're into their games) but yeah. I've no doubt Microsoft really wanted Ryse to be their God of War but there was absolutely no chance of that happening from the moment they got Crytek to make it.

Bishop89

Fucking shitty ass industry practice, trying to trick consumers who preorder into buying garbage :/ really wished review embargoes would go up a few days before launches.

It'll never happen, but I like to dream

You dont need reviews to tell you this game looks like shit. (not graphically obviously)

rdrr gnr

Sessler's review is brilliant.
He's actually been killing it for the past few weeks. He has kept the pseudo-intellectualism to a minimum and done a good job with consumer advocacy and honesty.
Kollar is pretty shit too.

Gave Forza Horizon a 6 and The Last of Us a 7.5. Can't respect him after that.
iirc, Polygon technically has an editorial panel that filters their reviews.
´Maybe this game bombing in tjhe reviews will force crytek to consider different priorities in game design. One can hope.
They make their money elsewhere. Crytek is a profoundly untalented studio outside of tech engines. They don't make good games and they never really have. I don't know why people are so late to this conclusion.

Because microtransactions do not exist on a vacuum. They fundamentally affect game design.

Not if you don't buy them.

Can't watch the video the other guy posted cause I am in a library and I don't have head phones. Can someone give me a short write up by any chance?

The issues comes into play when game design (like difficulty and grind time) get affected by these micro transactions

Mxrz

Its a real shame this game turned out so awful. After watching Spartacus, I would have loved to have had a badass Rome action game. With the money they spent making this janky, shallow combat QTE thing, we could've had something special.

prwxv3

Did crytek really think that if they removed the button prompts and replaced them with colors everyone would think they got rid of QTEs. Do they think we are idiots.

And oh boy ryse sure does have deeper combat then the batman game guys.

What a waste of a great setting.

The issues comes into play when game design (like difficulty and grind time) get affected by these micro transactions

Than if they aren't popular than they won't make their games around this idea. Just don't by the micro transactions in the games than the developers won't make their games around them.

hyp3rlink

Don't care about the game but micros-transactions for progression in second straight game is quite worrisome. I wish gaming media picks it up and helps spreading the word before it becomes a norm. Sad, very sad state of affairs indeed.

hawk2025

Not if you don't buy them.

Can't watch the video the other guy posted cause I am in a library and I don't have head phones. Can someone give me a short write up by any chance?

Again, they directly affect the game design a priori.

In order to induce and accomodate a real-money economy, by definition the basic product is changed and/or gimped. It's basic economics of price discrimination.

Don't care about the game but micros-transactions for progression in second straight game is quite worrisome. I wish gaming media picks it up and helps spreading the word before it becomes a norm. Sad, very sad state of affairs indeed.

The xbox one was going to be an always online console which is basically just to make microtransactions available and enforceable (can't change the clock forward, easy to buy etc). You can only expect that launch games would still be designed around that fact.

Hopefully that gets cut out now.

What other launch games have microtransactions?

Forza 5 is the other major title that does afaik.

However, I don't take issue with microtransactions that don't negatively impact game design. Dead Space 3 was benign outside of having to be connected to EA servers for redeemed ration goodies to save.

And it sounds like there are two opinions on Forza right now in the media. On one hand, Eurogamer (correct?) found the number of content tied to the credit/microtransaction system combined with the high credit requirements for some/many of the content to be detrimental to their experience. On the other hand, Sessler, who I note is not identifiable with the racing genre generally, found that he was having enough fun with the game/races to not find it a detriment. Then again, he may not have went as far as other outlets to unlock content due to having other business to attend to as well as playing more for fun than completion likely enough.

However, that's two, if not only one, example of that being the case. The rest of the models I've personally seen out there are not well supported in the primary game design, whether in the withholding of the content or through the earned in-game option. Ryse looks to be one where not only is it completely unnecessary with its inclusion, but the game itself wouldn't inspire anyone to go through the effort of the natural method.

With that said though, I would never advocate buying the microtransactions. Games that aren't harmed are ok, but once you buy in (as some did in Mass Effect Lottery), you become a part of the problem.

Than if they aren't popular than they won't make their games around this idea. Just don't by the micro transactions in the games than the developers won't make their games around them.
Right but we still have to suffer through potentially great games now that are potentially overtuned to try to push ppl to spend more money in the mean time. You're right that if people don't buy them, they may drop them from future games but I don't have faith in the general public

sn00zer

I wouldn't say it's the only game (RE4 did them pretty well and Quantic Dream's stuff is pretty good if you're into their games) but yeah. I've no doubt Microsoft really wanted Ryse to be their God of War but there was absolutely no chance of that happening from the moment they got Crytek to make it.

Man what happened to Far Cry and Crysis Crytek...those games were revolutionary in both tech and gameplay

wapplew

Dude, you don't know what micro-transactions's damage to game design.
It might not impact much now, when player pay for it, publisher get those money and start design games around it, please ready for lots of grind work and repetitive.

I work for a small F2P mmo publisher, I know every little detail about how publisher try everything to rip of their loyal costumer.
Everything start with "How do we make them pay more".

He's actually been killing it for the past few weeks. He has kept the pseudo-intellectualism to a minimum and done a good job with consumer advocacy and honesty.

"It's so enraptured with it's own opinion and epiphany it comes across as if it were written by a twelve-year-old."

As much as I love the Sess, this could describe some of his recent reviews.

That being said, this is a great video review. Much more concise and engaging than some of his recent stuff. His point about it feeling like a game from a few generations ago is spot-on - in its best moments, Ryse looks sort of like the Two Towers or Return of the King games on the PS2/Xbox/GC. While I love those games, I'm not sure how I'd feel about playing that template in a new game today.

SRTtoZ

Dammit missed Sesslers review. 2/5 huh?

Nevermind, didnt know Senjutsu was going through shit. Sucks, hope hes ok.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Rethinking my purchase here, was originally going to get Watch Dogs, but switched to this when that got delayed. Might get AC:BF or DR3 instead depending on reviews. 5 hours does not sound worth it.

Edit: Maybe Lego Marvel, isn't that back at launch?

rdrr gnr

"It's so enraptured with it's own opinion and epiphany it comes across as if it were written by a twelve-year-old."

As much as I love the Sess, this could describe some of his recent reviews.

That being said, this is a great video review. Much more concise and engaging than some of his recent stuff. His point about it feeling like a game from a few generations ago is spot-on - in its best moments, Ryse looks sort of like the Two Towers or Return of the King games on the PS2/Xbox/GC. While I love those games, I'm not sure how I'd feel about playing that template in a new game today.
Ha, yeah, I winced. That's why I said minimum .

Top Bottom