• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First screenshot or artwork of AC:Unity leaked?

Abriael

Banned
Just received an official comment from Ubisoft's Communication Manager Alberto Ziello (boy they were fast, I sent the mail about 20 minutes ago. Can't remember ever getting a reply from Ubi this fast)

Of course I saw the picture published on the web. We don't comment on rumors or speculation on unofficial material. We'll share official gameplay pictures of Assassin's Creed Unity over the coming months.

Usual official "no comment."

Who would have expected it...

It actually matches what shown on the trailer, that was said to be gameplay. It just seems to have an illustration-ish style/filter to it.

Check it out:

Assassins_Creed_Unity-1.jpg

That "filter" you speak of is probably the fact that this is, indeed, a concept painting. Doesn't look like real-time graphics, and I don't think it's just because of YouTube compression.

hohoXD123

If watch_Dogs comes out and looks as I expect it to look, a lot of people on GAF will have to eat their hats, just like those that alleged that inFAMOUS: Second Son was "downgraded" due to a different lighting condition of a video.

We'll see.

If you expect it to look like the 2012 reveal then you'll be disappointed. If you expect it to look like every PS4 gameplay footage we've recently seen then sure. This is completely different to infamous second son. Getting off-topic here anyway.

Really digging the look of this, still cautious that the PS4 version will look anything like it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
If watch_Dogs comes out and looks as I expect it to look, a lot of people on GAF will have to eat their hats, just like those that alleged that inFAMOUS: Second Son was "downgraded" due to a different lighting condition of a video.

We'll see.

Just don't expect too much, mmkay?

UrbanRats

The terrain geometry in the OP pic looks far more detailed and complex than the trailer shot above.

That's why i'd say it's either a fake or a concept piece.
Although, we'll know soon enough.

Abriael

Banned
That "filter" you speak of is probably the fact that this is, indeed, a concept painting. Doesn't look like real-time graphics, and I don't think it's just because of YouTube compression.

The screenshot you quoted is gameplay, at least if we believe Ubisoft.

In the trailer you can see it in motion, so it's most definitely not a painting.
http://youtu.be/SQng7EkJHOI?t=25s

If I didn't see it in motion, I would have believed it artwork as well.

Abriael

Banned
Just don't expect too much, mmkay?

I already played a rather extensive demo at Gamescom. I know pretty much exactly what to expect, at least gameplay-wise :D

As for graphics, the latest video definitely looked great.

But what I can say, I love games and don't count pixels, so I don't feel the need to share NeoGAF's usual ultra-jaded approach.

The older leaked screenshots don't have much detail in the environments, like this for example:
w85dltilitcpzetoeqvh.png

Whereas this new one shows like a really polished, refined alleyway... I don't think the game would realistically be that polished yet, it's too much of a jump in quality from the older screenshots if that makes sense.

hohoXD123

I already played a rather extensive demo at Gamescom. I know pretty much exactly what to expect, at least gameplay-wise :D

As for graphics, the latest video definitely looked great.

But what I can say, I love games and don't count pixels, so I don't feel the need to share NeoGAF's usual ultra-jaded approach.

Wow, that turned from a purely graphics to only gameplay matters point faster than usual.

The older leaked screenshots don't have much detail in the environments, like this for example:
w85dltilitcpzetoeqvh.png

Whereas this new one shows like a really polished, refined alleyway... I don't think the game would realistically be that polished yet, it's too much of a jump in quality from the older screenshots if that makes sense.

To be fair, we don't know how old the leaked screenshots are. They could be form a 2012 build for all we know. Without any context for time and date, it's hard to judge.

But what they've shown from Unity is probably a mix of vertical slice and "where we are right now".

hohoXD123

w85dltilitcpzetoeqvh.png

To be fair, we have seen some alpha footage with a fair bit of detail already:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106899086&postcount=54

Abriael

Banned
Wow, that turned from a purely graphics to only gameplay matters point faster than usual.

Better not misconstrue what other people write. I like graphics. I just don't count pixels. Which is a very different pair of sleeves. The latest video we saw looks amazing.

But keep hating :D

Portugeezer

The picture first appeared here on 21st of March. I don't read French too well, Google translate is not the best, but I read something about PC target footage or whatever but I don't know whether these guys are legit or just some fan mock up.

1395417634-snapshot20d7sq4.jpg

sebthemajin posted the 03/21/2014 at 05:01 PM
fullbuster Juste un exemple, pas besoin d'aller plus loin pour l'instant

http://www.gamekyo.com/blog_article329564.html

Then they discuss the Youtube.

http://www.gamekyo.com/news57140_assassin-s-creed-unity-nouvelle-image-leak.html

If it is, it looks goddamn incredible. Hope it doesn't get downgraded. It was made specifically for next gen though, so it should be fine.

SJRB

Gold Member
that's his point. It doesn't make sense for the game to make the quality jump so soon. UBI posted that good looking teaser like a week after the inital leak. That means the initial leak is from a really old build or the teaser trailer is BS.

They've been working on this game for 3+ years, let's not jump to bizarre conclusions just on when certain footage became available to the public.

hohoXD123

Better not misconstrue what other people write. I like graphics. I just don't count pixels. Which is a very different pair of sleeves. The latest video we saw looks amazing.

But keep hating :D

Hm? Your posts don't make much sense then. "Counting pixels", or resolution, is still one aspect of making the game more visually appealing so where exactly do you draw your distinction?

Thanks, will do ;)

monome

Thanks!

are we seriously discussing this pic as being from in-game footage on exisitng architectures?

If Ubi can manage to transpose 50% (detail/atmosphere/cartoonish/etc...) of this into in-game representation, I'll say wow.

They got really good with the second one.

as far as i'm concerned, Assassin's Creed is parkour or bust.
I bought every entry, and #1 is still my prefered one as far as enjoying being an assassin comes. #2 (2.5) is the superior game. but #1 is the best Assassin's Creed.

Enkidu

that's his point. It doesn't make sense for the game to make the quality jump so soon. UBI posted that good looking teaser like a week after the inital leak. That means the initial leak is from a really old build or the teaser trailer is BS.
Detail isn't always put in evenly in every area. Those leaked shots might be how most areas look at the moment, but if that youtube grab is in fact from some sort of trailer, then obviously those areas would get priority and be far more fleshed out than the rest of the city.

mocoworm

Definitely not rendered graphics. Looks like artwork for sure. Look at the edges on the detail. You can tell it's pen and brushes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stone pattern repeats on the ground. Either the artist cloned portions of his own work to fill in the road, or it's a repeating texture on a geometric 3D environment, ergo a screenshot.

mocoworm

Stone pattern repeats on the ground. Either the artist cloned portions of his own work to fill in the road, or it's a repeating texture on a geometric 3D environment, ergo a screenshot.

If you are right then:

1. It looks incredible.
2. It's a completely different/new look for an established franchise

If you are right then:

1. It looks incredible.

It's possible that they're trying to make each district look unique visually and adding post-processing to make it so. Sort of like what AC1 did with it's 3 main cities.

monome

If you are right then:

1. It looks incredible.

Assassin's Creed has become the new Matrix.

we can't tell digital artworks from PC (running 2x Titan Z with First Civilization magicjuju) screenshots.

let's poll this pic. I can't even understand people doubting it's artwork.

MayMay

Banned
Looking at it again, some parts definitely look more like a screenshot than others. Might be a screenshot that has been given a layer of paint on top, as a visual guideline / target for the designers. Happens quite alot actually, that concept artists paint over screenshots. They just aren't usually released.

monome

Looking at it again, some parts definitely look more like a screenshot than others. Might be a screenshot that has been given a layer of paint on top, as a visual guideline / target for the designers. Happens quite alot actually, that concept artists paint over screenshots. They just usually aren't released.

then it's artwork. whatever the canvas it's built on.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If you are right then:

1. It looks incredible.

I don't think it looks different. I think it looks like a crappy low resolution image! And that doesn't help the IQ.

Artists do often clone parts of their work to save time, so it could be art. But that road texture repeats, I'm sure.

Here's direct grabs from Gamersyde:

I'm still sceptical that this is what gameplay will look like. It would be quite extraordinary.

Call me crazy but there doesn't seem to be anything particularly impressive about this picture. I mean, it looks great. But I could easily see current gen pulling this off at a lower resolution with a poorer AA solution. I would be slightly disappointed if this is not possible on nextgen systems.

Call me crazy but there doesn't seem to be anything particularly impressive about this picture. I mean, it looks great. But I could easily see current gen pulling this off at a lower resolution with a poorer AA solution. I would be slightly disappointed if this is not possible on nextgen systems.

Yeah, you are crazy. Take a look at some last gen game's materials and lighting again...

Top Bottom