• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First screenshots of Bandai Namco's Code Vein (UE4, consoles, 2018)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was excited for Rise of Incarnates, but it didn't last very long (fun factor and keeping my interest). That would be cool to see something with a lot more hold for its fans. I'm not even sure why I even bring RoI into this, mainly because a "cool looking" game with good ideas often gets overlooked or something's just not right with how it's propellerly executed.

Never got into God Eater, but the whole idea sounds cool to me. I always went with the mainline games when it came to these types of genres.

Shirke

Characters look nice to me, but damn, it's like they looked into my teenage ideas of a cool edgy anime. They definitely know their audience.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ Thanks!

Just saw the teaser. The screenshots look nothing like the trailer they released.

it wasn't a trailer, it was an inspired video, similar to FF15's omen

Original animation inspired by an upcoming Bandai Namco Entertainment project.

Original Animation Credits
Production Company: Lizzi Akana LLC
Director: Lizzi Akana
Character Design/Storyboard Art: Marika Cowan
Background Design: Jennifer Leaver
Animation: Lizzi Akana, Marika Cowan
Compositing: Andrew Macfarlane
Music: Fritz Myers (Platitude Music)
©BNEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qlKNHgxmSE

Right in the reveal trailer

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
The actual in game art looks a little shiny and busier than I'd like but I can get over it.

It looks cool. Do we know if it'll be mission based or open world like a souls game?

Fbh

Looks ok I guess. A bit generic but I like the darker tone.
Would have been cool if they went for the same art style as the teaser trailer.

KiraXD

well i think it looks fucking awesome... like an Anime Bloodborne... im super into it.

OHi64BR.jpg

sRXvJec.jpg

rq7Hcaa.jpg

qClnUzv.jpg

TreIII

From page 2:

Actually...from Page 4:

EDarkness said:
Please note the following. Was posted at the end of the other thread...

Copy pasting here what I said on Gematsu: silly oversight on my part, forgot to remove the default pre-filled tags that's set for all our uploads. Sorry about that! Stay tuned for when the platforms are ACTUALLY announced!

So we have no idea what platforms this game is on.

bigmac996

Damn, this looks worse than I expected. Just not digging the overly complex Anime-style designs. Dug the style of the teaser much more.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Um, i am very well aware of how diverse anime and manga can be in its presentation and art deco, i think that was a very much out of left field comment.
Here's what you wrote again:

There's literally no way to avoid waifu and general anime girl connotations these days regardless of the actual role the main girl plays. There's really no way to avoid anime guys looking similar either just based on the modern style either​

I am objecting to that and saying that yes, there "is literally a way", because games that avoid this, exist. Period.

It was surely there.
Looked it up on youtube again, didn't see it. Maybe it was there on a different video. Either way, it wasn't immediately obvious.

Also, it's kind of a pointless thing to do? "Hey look at this cool art. Also a new game which is unrelated and has nothing to do with what you just saw is coming out, please be excited". Wut

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So are these screens supposed be the reveal today? I was expecting a new trailer and console announcement.

The trailer is in early May apparently. Sucks.

Here's what you wrote again:

There's literally no way to avoid waifu and general anime girl connotations these days regardless of the actual role the main girl plays. There's really no way to avoid anime guys looking similar either just based on the modern style either​

I am objecting to that and saying that yes, there "is literally a way", because games that avoid this, exist. Period.

My main point was a reference to the actual consumer's interpretation. Put a cute anime girl in a game in a main ish role and she's a waifu, put bishounen dude in the game and he's generic. These types of things are very much representative of the mindsets of the consumers who look at the content than something devs can actively avoid.

While saying that, my secondary point was that apart of this consumer expectation does have to do with the current art style trends in Japan for anime and manga. You throw these things together by a dev who is known for that sort of thing and its unavoidable.

Looked it up on youtube again, didn't see it. Maybe it was there on a different video. Either way, it wasn't immediately obvious.

Also, it's kind of a pointless thing to do? "Hey look at this cool art. Also a new game which is unrelated and has nothing to do with what you just saw is coming out, please be excited". Wut

I just posted it on this page, its above.

Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qlKNHgxmSE

Right in the reveal trailer

shandy706

The author of that article (or just someone who works for the site) said that they have auto-tagging enabled for stuff and those tags aren't actually announced consoles.

Ah...well then we don't know..lol.

I'd assume PS4 and be surprised at others then...lol. PC maybe.

Gbraga

The actual in game art looks a little shiny and busier than I'd like but I can get over it.

It looks cool. Do we know if it'll be mission based or open world like a souls game?

It's an interconnected world. It could still be mission/quest based, I suppose, but at least the exploration should be like in Dark Souls.

well i think it looks fucking awesome... like an Anime Bloodborne... im super into it.

qClnUzv.jpg

It's aesthetically very different, but this shot's angle is indeed very reminiscent of Bloodborne's bullshots, and the pose is similar to a charged R2 with the Saw Cleaver or the Blade of Mercy.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Those character models (with some tweaks to the style) remind me a lot of what the Tales team has been aiming for since Xillia.

Mifec

It's an interconnected world. It could still be mission/quest based, I suppose, but at least the exploration should be like in Dark Souls.

It's aesthetically very different, but this shot's angle is indeed very reminiscent of Bloodborne's bullshots, and the pose is similar to a charged R2 with the Saw Cleaver or the Blade of Mercy.

Man I love the cool enemy design and then I look at the player char female and her dumb outfit and I'm just like...why?

NeoRaider

I am mostly interested to see the gameplay. These screenshots look great to me.
But i am really worried about the gameplay. I would love something more action/hack and slash oriented, with RPG elements.

Gbraga

Man I love the cool enemy design and then I look at the player char female and her dumb outfit and I'm just like...why?

I like the coat, hat and mask-thing. I'm ok with that. :p

Hoping we can play as her, if it's not a character creator kind of game.

Lux R7

lol wat. Looks nothing like the trailer to me (and no, looks nothing like a souls thing). Welp, not for me, but i hope it ends up being a good game.

Mifec

I like the coat, hat and mask-thing. I'm ok with that. :p

Hoping we can play as her, if it's not a character creator kind of game.

Coat and hat are fine, the leggings or whatever doesn't do it for me.

Mask is pretty Tokyo Ghoul looking hehe.

elixia

please be on pc as well please be on pc as well :|

if it's really like anime souls then it's gonna be fucking sweet

Gbraga

Coat and hat are fine, the leggings or whatever doesn't do it for me.

Mask is pretty Tokyo Ghoul looking hehe.

Yeah, not a fan either, but I can deal with that. The info we have seems to indicate some level of equip customization, though. Maybe they'll be just full outfits, so that won't help, but maybe we can mix and match, that would be great.

I've seen a lot of people comparing it to Tokyo Ghoul, but I have no idea if that's supposed to be good or not. Should I watch it?

Where's the "Anime Soul" idea comes from. It could be a Mosou like o character action game as far as we know

Interconnected World, Hard Action RPG, was being teased with the tag #PrepareToDine (reference to Dark Souls 1's Prepare to Die Edition).

Of course, if they'll be able to deliver on that or not remains to be seen, but at least their mentality is on the right place, when it comes to recreating that feeling. The combat system can be anything, and it would be cool if it was vastly different, I'm fine with that. The world design is far more important in making it Anime Souls, to me.

Eh, I'm interested. The art style isn't nearly as offensive as some of the posts in here would leave me to believe, although it would have been nice if it was more akin to the teaser. I just hope it plays well. Please.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Yeah, not a fan either, but I can deal with that. The info we have seems to indicate some level of equip customization, though. Maybe they'll be just full outfits, so that won't help, but maybe we can mix and match, that would be great.

I've seen a lot of people comparing it to Tokyo Ghoul, but I have no idea if that's supposed to be good or not. Should I watch it?

The anime isn't as good as the manga especially the liberties they take with the second season. Its worth watching and has nice music.

Kinsei

Banned

It's pretty crap IMO. Then again I went in thinking it was a horror show and it ended up being a dumb shonen.

Gbraga

The anime isn't as good as the manga especially the liberties they take with the second season. Its worth watching and has nice music.

Got it. I'll just put it on my manga backlog then.

It's pretty crap IMO. Then again I went in thinking it was a horror show and it ended up being a dumb shonen.

Well, I have no expectations, so it could help, haha. Not the biggest fan of fighting anime, though.

Top Bottom