• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Screenshots of Telltale's (TWD) The Wolf Among Us

bummer,their The Walking Dead thingy was very bad as bad as Heavy Rain,I don't get why it sold maybe because of the amc TV show?

hope they return to their old style soon.

I've started adding people to my ignore list when they blatantly show that they are incapable of coherent thought. If you had posted that you thought Walking Dead and Heavy Rain were bad, I wouldn't care, but when you ask ignorant questions like 'why did it sell?' when the majority of posters on Neogaf and gaming press adored the game....you're not going against opinion, you're just being willfully ignorant or trolling.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Werewolves you say?

GKBW4.jpg

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I hope the animations aren't so damn janky this time around. I really enjoyed TWD but the archaic robot-like animations DEFINITELY need an overhaul.

Cartman86

Banned
Read 8 of the trades so i'm certainly excited. They chose the right character to focus on too, and putting Colin in there as a side kick is smart, however it's a direct prequel so that kind of sucks.

BooJoh

TWD sold way more than any other Telltale game. What do you think?

Pretty sure Telltale is done with traditional adventure games. That's probably why they abandoned the King's Quest license.

So wait, was this officially announced somewhere? I was really looking forward to seeing how they handled KQ.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I actually think Sam and Max would work better in the interactive episodes more than adventure games. Kind of like the cartoons.

The puzzle elements of the prior seasons was lacking. Are they even gonna go back to Sam and Max?

Jake

I actually think Sam and Max would work better in the interactive episodes more than adventure games. Kind of like the cartoons.

The puzzle elements of the prior seasons was lacking. Are they even gonna go back to Sam and Max?

Doing a Sam & Max at a post-WD Telltale would be super fun. I think the pacing and rapid change-up of context of the comics could be captured really well. We don't have any announced Sam & Max stuff, though, other than Sam in Poker Night 2.

Response to these Fables screens has me excited. The purple one of Bigby in the alley has been touched up to pump up the color design (as it's more of a poster shot/mood piece), but the other images were pulled from the game engine for GI by our art director.

Doing a Sam & Max at a post-WD Telltale would be super fun. I think the pacing and rapid change-up of context of the comics could be captured really well. We don't have any announced Sam & Max stuff, though, other than Sam in Poker Night 2.

This would be sweet. Even seeing the semi-tonal shift of The Devil's Playhouse after Tales of Monkey Island was really great. I would definitely love to see where you guys would take the series with what you've learned through The Walking Dead.

Sciz

Do iiiiit. TDP was already spectacular, and most of its low points revolved around puzzles that just didn't work out well. I've said it before, but the final scene came really close to capturing the mood of the comics, and I'd love to see you guys take another crack at that.

And +1 to all the compliments on the art here. Of all the games that've tried the graphic novel look, this is the first one where screenshots come close enough to hand-drawn stills to require a second look.

JJD

Wait? This is based on Fables????

Wow! Dropped the comic a long, long time ago but I'll buy this day 1!

That is one damn good looking art style. Reminds me of theCalvin and Hobbes comics where Calvin is imagining himself as a noire detective.

Lotto

This looks real good. I'm not familiar with the comics so this should be interesting. Haven't finished TWD either, should get on that.

Servbot24

Banned
That looks so much better than TWD. Admittedly I haven't played TWD, but the screenshots just look awful. And I'm assuming it's just a sob story, though if someone corrects me on that I may give it a chance.

Damn, this one is the one that impresses me the most for some reason. Really looking forward to this game and seeing what the Telltale guys do with the characters.

Well, you guys don't have plans rn, but you're not thinking of retiring them either, right? D:

megalowho

That's some of the best comic book art style I think I've seen, very authentic. Interested to see how it looks in motion.

sn00zer

Wow. This is definitely going to be a game that looks far better in stills.

IM always shocked at how not amazing TT animation is....i figure those games should be brimming with beautiful animation because so many scenes are tightly controlled...but it hovers somewhere below average

Holy shit, I was ready to piss on another Telltale game as I'm not a fan.. but they nailed cel-shading. Let's hope it animates well, because real-time shadows in cel shaded games is hard to pull off.

UrbanRats

Holy shit does it look better than Walking Dead.
I am impressed.

Still not gonna buy it D1, not after the saves bullshit with tWD.

sn00zer

I love seeing something in games I havent see before....and that is one hell of an artstyle I have never seen before....Killer is Dead looks like a complete cel shaded mess compared to this

Riposte

I am in complete disbelief if those are real screenshots. Maybe I'm an idiot for even think they could be. At the most those can't possibly 3D models and textures (outside the characters, I guess). If they are though, I'll play this just for the art, even if I thought The Walking Dead and the rest of Telltate's stuff have been pretty much fancy trash.

EDIT: I really want some videogames to look like this.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

inm8num2

Man, that game had no right being as great as it was for a mid-90s FMV fest.

As a side note I think FMV gets way too much scorn. There were some bad FMV games, but there are bad games of every type. It's just that FMV wasn't the revolution in interactivity people expected.

GK2 stands up quite well today. God that game was so fucking amazing. I wish I could experience it for the first time one more. Such a beautiful story.

And that segues back to A Wolf Among Us. Some people don't like the direction Telltale has taken in less interactivity and little to no puzzle solving. However, right now is easily the best time for adventure games, with so many different styles and degrees of gameplay and puzzle solving present in a wide variety of graphical forms.

Adventures were always about storytelling. Telltale isn't pretending that their games are hardcore traditional point and click games, so I have no problem with what they're doing.

Looks really appealing artistically.

Hopefully the animation has been improved because I found that a bit lacking in Walking Dead. I'm not expecting Euphoria/AC3 level stuff right here but still hope for some improvements.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Its good that they are finally putting out something that looks at least current-gen. Graphics for S&M, TMI, and TWD left a lot to be desired.

Top Bottom