• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Thief (4) screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks stunning for a launch title on next generation hardware.

I'm surprised so many people are claiming it doesn't look good or looks current generation. Wipes the floor with a lot of current generation games in my opinion. Looks stunning visually.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This could well be the case, it's hard to tell scope from screenshots. I'm just saying that the shots as displayed are most likely not from gameplay on either PS3 or Xbox360 (or Wii U for that matter).

Right, that much is definitely true.

Derrick01

Banned
Obviously not, but your making a huge asspumption there in that this game has been in development since 2008-2009 (unless you have confirmed info i'm not aware of...).

They have leaks and hiring documents from way back then, the game was definitely being worked on at least a little bit that far back.

Looks tasty...

Can't wait... had a hell of a time with Thief 1.

Today is an embarassing day for GAF, Next-gen experts all over the place man

Indeed... it is funny. Next gen is not about screenshots (scans from magazine even). Some of you people should leave this hobby. Seriously.

MDSLKTR

Oh my, that art style screams confidence. Loving the details on the architecture. If tomb raider pc is any indication then this with a good iq will look terrific.

Looks good, want to seem some footage though, make sure it's still Thief.

Deadly Shadows did this, but it was optional.

what.

Garret has that mechanical eyeball so it makes sense in context.

An assassin is just a thief who steals your life instead of your riches.
Also, empty UI would be nice. Put the light gem on his arm or something.

DaBuddaDa

The same developer allowed Deus Ex: HR players to disable object highlighting in the options menu. Perhaps they can do the same in this game? Quite a few games have given that option.

S0N0S

Looks good enough. More anxious to hear about mechanics, though. With so many recently revived, older franchises being shadows of their former selves, I'm fairly skeptical about how Thief 4 will turn out. Hopefully this will be closer to a Deus Ex:HR than a Hitman: Absolution.

As for the comparisons to Dishonored, it's not surprising. Thief was among the games that came to mind when I first saw Dishonored.

Beckx

Looks stunning for a launch title on next generation hardware.

I'm surprised so many people are claiming it doesn't look good or looks current generation. Wipes the floor with a lot of current generation games in my opinion. Looks stunning visually.

It's not so much that (for me at least) as it is the point that Pachter made: the leap isn't so immediately obvious in a screenshot. That's going to be a bit of a challenge in selling new consoles. How much remains to be seen.

To be clear, I'm not down on it for looks - to the contrary, I'm really excited about the game, and the other improvements that next gen tech should offer that don't show in screenshots (and that are much harder to market).

owasog

It looks better than Deadly Shadows, that's good enough for me. Dishonored wasn't exactly a looker either, and I played that game obsessively.

So everybody thinks this is a UE3 game?

Reknoc

Garret has that mechanical eyeball so it makes sense in context.

An assassin is just a thief who steals your life instead of your riches.
Also, empty UI would be nice. Put the light gem on his arm or something.

Sure, though originally all his mechanical eye did was allow him to zoom, I think Deadly Shadows added nightvision as well though.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I don't think the comparison with Dishonored is a right one. Maybe the first person animations, but the visuals aren't similar at all.

It's not so much that (for me at least) as it is the point that Pachter made: the leap isn't so immediately obvious in a screenshot. That's going to be a bit of a challenge in selling new consoles. How much remains to be seen.

Once people see the new gen games in MOTION on big TVs they will notice the difference. There will be no escape :)

EasyMode

It looks great, better than I expected even. These "current gen" comments are making me shake my head. It's like people are comparing these screens to current gen bullshots with far better assets and lighting than what we actually get.

Derrick01

Banned
Looks like a current gen game on PC. Not terribly excited for that.

Why? You only care about graphics? What about the prospect (as unlikely as it is) of playing a game like Thief 2 but evolved?

I don't think the comparison with Dishonored is a right one. Maybe the first person animations, but the visuals aren't similar at all.

Didn't you know? Dishonored was the first first person stealth game ever.

owasog

The brothel and the guard's hat look EXACTLY like Dishonored. The exterior shots look more like Deadly Shadows though.

diamount

Banned
Yeah this game is one that cannot afford a crippled level design due to insane high budget graphics. This game like Deus Ex will live and die based on its level design and how complex it is, although this needs deep stealth mechanics too. None of this hybrid bullshit that's in "stealth" games now like in Dishonored and HR.

Well it's pretty much a given, you're a thief.. not a killer. so hopefully stealth all the way.

Moff

after human revolution, and seeing these screenshots, there is no way this is going to be a bad game. DX:HR proved they know where the spirit of these games lie and that they can handle them well. this is going to be an amazing game, no doubt. instant most wanted.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If you guys think they are releasing a "AAA" game with a 4 year dev cycle only on next gen consoles then you are foolish beyond belief. There is no way they'd make their money back off the incredibly limited user bases you'll see for the first year or so.

It'll be "cross-gen", just like every major announced game will be for the next while.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Of course people will judge the graphics. Because that's all we have to go on right now, just screenshots.

Wasn't this game supposed to be in third person originally?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Who knows, but I'm thrilled that it's not. The original games were obviously first person while the third game had an option for a third person camera (thankfully optional).

can only hope the pc version has higher res textures.

Everything else looks good to me. Excited
OK, I'm baffled by this post.

The textures in the shot which you posted are very high resolution and appear razor sharp. What else are you looking for?

The cobblestones are clean and sharp, the details on the player glove are fantastic, and everything looks coherent. Where on earth do you see the need for higher resolution textures?

19475071a27183a4fee68d7f9f267e1d.jpg

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Looks good, you can tell dev shifted from current to next gen though.

Hopefully level design and loading aren't too hampered by this.

DaBuddaDa

Of course people will judge the graphics. Because that's all we have to go on right now, just screenshots.

I expect it will be a lot like Deus Ex: HR with 1st/3rd person camera switching, but primarily in 1st person.

kinggroin

Banned
New fucking Thief game revealed and the first thing many of you bring up, is if this is really next gen.

Un-fuckin believable.

Whatever. Day one on whatever platform I can get this on so long as they stay true to the core of the early entries.

I imagine you can switch between them like Deadly Shadows.

You could switch between them in Deadly Shadows right?

Or am I remembering wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom