• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Thief (4) screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
a965532f970d85d43bdff0cbf2b81451.jpg

I like this.

Yeah love that screen. I don't think fidelity like that would be possible on current consoles. I'm impressed.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
If this looked like a high-res PS2 game, I'd still be interested. As it is, I have zero complaints about the technical quality of the graphics so far. The graphical mood and atmosphere are going to be critically important, but that's fairly disconnected from what's under the hood (and it's why I have no trouble being affected by Thief 1/2, despite how primitive they are technologically).

That said, I'm very curious about the direction the devs will go in. I loved Dishonored, but for different reasons than the Thief games--the posters saying it was a power fantasy are right. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and the developers explicitly stated that as a goal of the game, but I'd prefer a different angle for Thief.

Some of the things I'm hoping for:

* Combat as weak and ineffectual as in the previous Thief games. It should be a last resort thing.
* An expanded thieving toolset. I liked the flexibility of things like rope arrows; hopefully the devs will continue in that direction and have levels that are designed to be challenging despite the player having better mobility.
* Giant levels. An open world would be okay, too, but not ideal.
* A story that's relatively sparse, but not too sparse.
* Better AI. DX:HR's was decent; hopefully the devs can keep progressing here.

Basically, I want a traditional Thief game with obvious next-gen improvements. Innovation would be nice, but I'm happy to wait until Thief 5 for that.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Looks like all the other next gen games with the exception of the capcom one...think it looks like a nice first step in next gen.

Are you drawing further comparisons to Dishonored? You DO realize that Harvey Smith's career goes back to the old days at Origin Systems, right? You know, the original developers of Thief? That's not to say HE worked on Thief, of course, but he comes from the type of environment that produced Thief. Deus Ex, Thief, and System Shock are all related in that way. Dishonored is a product born from that legacy so it's really not surprising that there are similarities.

Regardless of those similarities I expect Thief 4 to be a more focused game as I doubt they have any interest in turning it into Deus Ex.

I'd like the stealth mechanics to be derivative, not the plot.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This is next gen?! The original games look pretty close to this if only you apply some minor mods (bloom and some textures and models for consistency more than prettifying)! I took a few screenshots to demonstrate this factual fact. Peeking around walls, readying an arrow, and engaging in a sword fight to show an enemy up close and personal.

The first three are from Thief Gold, the next pair from Thief II.

Just kidding but these games are so awesome still, the level design and gameplay within can be awe inspiring.

Sadly I didn't keep a save to the previous awesome levels I was in, these are kind of bleh in comparison so far.

Also, Thief and Thief II looked ugly even when they were first released. The rest is what makes them hold up well.

ys45

This should also come to PC ..... right ? right !?

Can't play a Thief game without headphone, for total immersion.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Are people really hating on people that want good graphics?

Especially from a game where atmosphere and tension are paramount?

I expect this game to have fantastic lighting, wide open level design, and minimal to no loading.

There is nothing wrong with those expectations for a next gen game, and they directly effect the experience in a significant way.

owasog

Some of the things I'm hoping for:

* Giant levels. An open world would be okay, too, but not ideal.

Basically, I want a traditional Thief game with obvious next-gen improvements.
Couldn't agree more. Deadly Shadows had horribly cramped levels.
I want levels the size of "The Bonehoard" again. I have a dream....

ultron87

That super modern looking compound bow really bothers me. I mean I know Thief is steampunk-ish so they probably could have a bow like that, but it still looks out of place.

cbox

Couldn't agree more. Deadly Shadows had horribly cramped levels.
I want levels the size of "The Bonehoard" again. I have a dream....

I'm picturing a huge "party" sized level from thief 2 redone in 4, and I salivate. That would be incredible.

That super modern looking compound bow really bothers me. I mean I know Thief is steampunk-ish so they probably could have a bow like that, but it still looks out of place.

The mechanists were pretty advanced, so I don't see it as a problem - at least it doesn't have a scope... I would have preferred the bow from the original of course. Who knows, maybe there are upgrades...

Krafter

Huge Thief fan here, always down for more. Garrett, at the worst, would be my second favourite game character of all-time. "Life of the Party", for my money, is the best level in any video game, ever.

Pretty excited for this, I can see this going much the same way as Deus Ex in a "Classic game(s) > Subpar game > Triumphant return into a new current series" vein. I've got some nits to pick, don't like the title at all for one, but I'm going to ignore all that and move Thief to the tippy-top of my wanted list.

MauriceM

Dishonored 2 already?

Perfect comment. This exactly.

Looks great graphically and stylistically. I liked Thief 3, but the environments were just too cramped. With this new generation hopefully we can have the polish and the expansiveness for a really great Thief game. If they can fix Deus Ex, why not Thief? :)

Cartman86

Banned
At first glance yeah it doesn't look as next genny as I might have liked, but some of those shots have this fantastic almost concept art painting look too them.

Zeppelin

Am I the only one who feels there's a lot of "touch up" going on in those shots? Like bluring out aliasing or something. Up close stuff (like hands) looks almost too good whilst you can almost see remnants of aliasing the background.

Am I the only one who feels there's a lot of "touch up" going on in those shots? Like bluring out aliasing or something. Up close stuff (like hands) looks almost too good whilst you can almost see remnants of aliasing the background.

All press released screenshots get touched up in one way or another.

owasog

I liked Thief 3, but the environments were just too cramped.
I liked it too, in general. They had the right idea with the "open world" City. But I think they were contrained by technology (or manpower), and "The City (tm)" ended up as "The Very Small Town" with only 4 houses to loot.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
responses on the first page shows that we've officialy entered the era of diminished returns. Current gen consoles would render 1/4 of every screen provided here (at 1024*768 resolition). There is tesselation, crisp shadows, advanced lighting, high res textures.

But this indifference to new shiny graphics bodes well for indie teams, so yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom