• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Thief (4) screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ_Wings

Of course people will judge the graphics. Because that's all we have to go on right now, just screenshots.

Wasn't this game supposed to be in third person originally?

People were worried it's going to have a third-person cover system a la DX:HR although Thief 3 had a dedicated third person camera so we'll see.

OK, I'm baffled by this post.

The textures in the shot which you posted are very high resolution and appear razor sharp. What else are you looking for?

The cobblestones are clean and sharp, the details on the player glove are fantastic, and everything looks coherent. Where on earth do you see the need for higher resolution textures?

Look at the other pictures. Most games look good when things aren't somewhat close to the camera.

eXistor

I like it. Honestly, it could look like ass and I'd still be excited. For the record: I think it looks fine

owasog

IF there is third person, my god I hope the controls are better than DS. Moving Garrett felt like driving a bus with glue on the wheels sometimes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
feels like it's on Glacier2 engine.
Oh man that would be nice. Glacier2 put on a VERY impressive show in Hitman Absolution.

Still, have IO ever shared their technology with another studio?

Unfortunately for some people texture resolutions can always be better, even if the default textures are excellent.
How, though? From what specific shot, there is absolutely nothing that needs improvement in terms of texture resolution. Some tessellation, POM, or other such surface effect could improve depth but texture resolution is very high.

It's not so much that (for me at least) as it is the point that Pachter made: the leap isn't so immediately obvious in a screenshot. That's going to be a bit of a challenge in selling new consoles. How much remains to be seen.

To be clear, I'm not down on it for looks - to the contrary, I'm really excited about the game, and the other improvements that next gen tech should offer that don't show in screenshots (and that are much harder to market).

Indeed. If I had to guess, I'd say this was initially a current generation title but was moved to next gen due to developer issues or deciding that releasing it so late in the generation might not be the most prudent of actions.

A release in the next generation launch window should see it hit the ground running with there not being as much competition.

I think it looks fantastic, but you can see the last generation constraints in the screenshots. Everything looks boxy and not as wide or as open as you'd expect a game to look if it was taking full advantage of the power next gen offers.

Never played the Thief series either, but I certainly don't want them to turn it into Dishonored. Dishonored was alright, but it felt so all over the place, like it didn't know what it wanted to be. I got tired of it and just stopped at some point, haven't been back since.

Based on the peeking screenshots I have the feeling it's all first person, at least I hope so.

I'm not even sure if that peeking shot is in game.

I guess they could have Garrett interact with the environment a bit in first person, that would be cool, but I have my doubts.

ironcreed

Banned
Played Deadly Shadows on Xbox and loved it. Will buy.

292805be852d068ea0728d49d11be1a2.jpg

Very nice.

dark10x

Hopefully they bring back those wonderful interlude pieces that separate the missions. Atmosphere is so crucial to the Thief experience as well so I hope they can deliver.

Never played the Thief series either, but I certainly don't want them to turn it into Dishonored. Dishonored was alright, but it felt so all over the place, like it didn't know what it wanted to be. I got tired of it and just stopped at some point, haven't been back since.
I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Deus Ex Human Revolution nailed the DX formula already and Thief is a much more focused series.

I've seen my PC render much better. Hopefully that's a typo in the OP about these being from the next Xbox.

Seems it's from PC version,at least the site not really talking about 720

Well, I can help a bit here ;)

There is nothing new (apart of the screens, of course). This site mentions X720 because it using this old article as a source for additional information. And mentioned community page only tells about "next-gen" release in 2014 without further details.

Interesting, how did they get these screens...

Because graphics always made Thief good.

Yeah why even update the visuals?! Let's just go back to the dark engine.

Why? You only care about graphics? What about the prospect (as unlikely as it is) of playing a game like Thief 2 but evolved?

I'm not excited about the game's visuals looking like current gen on a PC because....they look like current gen on a PC. I didn't say I wasn't excited about the game...

TrutaS

Looks very good, the mood fits the game and is coherent with past games. The slimmy guy looks like a ninja in medieval england, but thats acceptable (and possible?). Next-gen however continues to underwhelm just a little bit, but probably motion will make all the difference.

abunai

Gonna go install thief 2 again after seeing these screenshots. Hope we get some cool information on the title soon. If they kept the third person perspective from the leaked screenshots ~18 months ago I'll be disappointed.

cbox

I'm replaying thief2 right now, and this makes me very excited :D

Rope arrows are back, and that looks like Garret- his eye looks strange in the second pic... no?

dark10x

Are you drawing further comparisons to Dishonored? You DO realize that Harvey Smith's career goes back to the old days at Origin Systems, right? You know, the original developers of Thief? That's not to say HE worked on Thief, of course, but he comes from the type of environment that produced Thief. Deus Ex, Thief, and System Shock are all related in that way. Dishonored is a product born from that legacy so it's really not surprising that there are similarities.

Regardless of those similarities I expect Thief 4 to be a more focused game as I doubt they have any interest in turning it into Deus Ex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom