• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'd like to get a pair of those Adidas Adipower shoes. No idea what size I'd take. Just curious if anybody ordered a pair of weightlifting shoes how they went about ordering the right size.

I highly doubt any stores by me carry these type of shoes. Unless I just go try on a regular Adidas sneaker and base the size off that.
I own a pair of regular Addidas and I was told to order a half size below normal. My normal 11s are a bit big so I went for 10s on the Adipowers and they fit perfectly.

Chocobro

I'd like to get a pair of those Adidas Adipower shoes. No idea what size I'd take. Just curious if anybody ordered a pair of weightlifting shoes how they went about ordering the right size.

I highly doubt any stores by me carry these type of shoes. Unless I just go try on a regular Adidas sneaker and base the size off that.

I own a pair of regular Addidas and I was told to order a half size below normal. My normal 11s are a bit big so I went for 10s on the Adipowers and they fit perfectly.
Do that ^
I tried a regular pair of Adidas shoes and got size 8 and ordered that same size. After breaking them in, I feel I should have gotten size 7.5; it just doesn't provide that nice snug it had when it was brand new.

ILoveBish

The Reebok lifting shoes i got are exact size. I got size 13 and they are perfect fit. The ones I got have no break in period, so they still fit tight and perfect still.

They're more for Olly lifts but I use them for everything.

BumRush

Why? Alt?

Could have something to do with him making a weird post in the "is it safe to go to Istanbul?" thread about EvilLore's personal life (saying that evilore was victim of a tourist scam) but I'm honestly not sure. Maybe it was something completely different.

Chocobro

I was curious, anyone here have any experience working on the 9/80 schedule and still lifting multiple times a week?
For those who don't know what that is, it's when you work 80 hours in nine days instead of the normal ten days. So you work 9 hours for eight days, 8 hours on one day, and get every other Friday off. At the end of the year, you get an extra 26 days off work by doing this.

SeanR1221

Could have something to do with him making a weird post in the "is it safe to go to Istanbul?" thread about EvilLore's personal life (saying that evilore was victim of a tourist scam) but I'm honestly not sure. Maybe it was something completely different.

It was.

I was curious, anyone here have any experience working on the 9/80 schedule and still lifting multiple times a week?
For those who don't know what that is, it's when you work 80 hours in nine days instead of the normal ten days. So you work 9 hours for eight days, 8 hours on one day, and get every other Friday off. At the end of the year, you get an extra 26 days off work by doing this.

i think my aunt does something like this as a pharmacist. but she got tuesdays off

I'm going to hit a rut again. Just met with someone I had been talking online with for months. Things were great but somehow I still got friendzoned and I'm really bummed out. This kinda shit usually kills all my gym motivation, gotta keep my head in the game somehow.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've been using the keto calculator to work our what levels I need for my fats/protein/calories/etc and I think I'm doing pretty well. I need to up my protein a little bit, and I'm a little concerned with salts as I've traditionally kept it far away from my diet but now need to be all over it.

ILoveBish

I'm going to hit a rut again. Just met with someone I had been talking online with for months. Things were great but somehow I still got friendzoned and I'm really bummed out. This kinda shit usually kills all my gym motivation, gotta keep my head in the game somehow.

It is indeed frustrating, but i really like going to the gym to just get away from it all. When i'm in there, its like i'm in a different place. Thats how i view it and why it never fails to make me feel better to be in there lifting. I just put the music as loud as possible, put in my earbuds and start my sets.

I've been using the keto calculator to work our what levels I need for my fats/protein/calories/etc and I think I'm doing pretty well. I need to up my protein a little bit, and I'm a little concerned with salts as I've traditionally kept it far away from my diet but now need to be all over it.

The best way to go about getting your macros, is to first get your max net carbs limit. I do 17 to 27g net a day. So just put 20 or 25 as a guideline. Your protein should be .7 to .85 of your LEAN body mass if you're cutting, or .8 to 1.0 if you are bulking. So, lets say you're 200lbs, with 20% body fat, your lean mass is 160, and you calculate from there. I weigh in at 237.5 and my carbs are set to 25 and protein go 150 for my macros. The amount of fat is just dependent on how much you want to be deficit wise. Because all the rest of your calories come from fat at this point. This makes it very simple to figure out your macros, don't look at percentages, go by whats needed for protein and carbs, and the rest is fat.

RoeBear

Have you picked out a show for this year yet? From what I've seen relationships are stained hard from shows. Just try and look at this in a more positive light. Plus you have all of fit-GAF for support and motivation.

Eos

my inzer 10mm came in the other today and got to test it out today. feels great, quality is nice, and the results are immediately noticeable (tested it out while squatting)

Evo X

Just came back from my first lifting session with the Adipowers.

Great investment! I definitely felt more power, drive, and stability in my squats. I'm sure these will help me get through my recent slump and set new PRs.

Quality lifting shoes should be the first thing people who are starting lifting should buy. I have no doubt they would have helped me progress faster, with better form, and less injuries if I had them from the get go.

Hit Press 3x5 125 today. It was definitely a grind. I have a feeling I may be stuck at 125 on press for a couple of weeks. I'm so close to 135 though I can taste it.

Tinder. Numbers game. Etc.
Become near emotionally dead like me and you'll never go through that again :D

Also yeah, don't stop going to the gym.

Right, I mentioned this earlier in the year and whilst I know you guys are mostly about the achievements in terms of lifting heavy things I'm still going to post this here. :p

Some of you may have seen my previous endurance (turbo trainer) cycling events for charity, others may be new to them. This one will be by far my most difficult challenge to date.

On Saturday 07th of March at 11am, in support of Macmillan and Cancer Research UK, I'll be starting my attempt to become a Knight of Sufferlandria. To do this, I'll just have to do ten Sufferfest videos back to back... simple.

You can view what I'll be up against in this handy (and very, very large) infographic.

For those of you that don't know Sufferfest, they're considered to be some of the hardest cycling training sessions that you can do. In the past I've done the Tour of Sufferlandria for charity (One or two rides a day for nine days). That was hard, and with those same vids all being done in one day vs nine for the tour, this will be ridiculous.

In easier to understand terms, the effort required to do this (Calories burned / heart rate / time taken) will be roughly equivalent to doing two, to two and a half marathons, back to back.

I'm looking at just shy of thirteen hours total suffering, and if I achieve it (really no guarantees) then I'll have burned something in the order of 8,760 calories.

Obviously none of you really know me, but still, if you're liking the idea of me suffering for a very good cause, please consider donating even a little. Donations aside, your best wishes and support will be appreciated! Thanks.

Fundraising Page (Virgin Money Giving)

keezy

Do that ^
I tried a regular pair of Adidas shoes and got size 8 and ordered that same size. After breaking them in, I feel I should have gotten size 7.5; it just doesn't provide that nice snug it had when it was brand new.

Thanks guys! I've heard only good things about these shoes. Rogue Fitness has the red ones on sale for $130. Probably will order them today. I tried on a pair of Adidias sneakers and I take an 11. I'll goes with a 10.5.

GrapeApes

Thanks guys! I've heard only good things about these shoes. Rogue Fitness has the red ones on sale for $130. Probably will order them today. I tried on a pair of Adidias sneakers and I take an 11. I'll goes with a 10.5.
Just looked at the website. Every size out to of stock. Must be getting rid of the old colors. Looks like I'm always late when these things come down in price.

SeanR1221

Wow this Renaissance Diet book is great so far. Very informative and they cite everything they say, providing links to the peer reviewed articles.

BumRush

I know it doesn't mean much man, but lurking here three or four years ago, your posts and dedication inspired me to get in the gym and start eating better. I've been in such good shape for years now due to guys like you and Brolic. Obviously getting friendzoned sucks, but please continue to focus on your lifts, diet, health...there are probably a ton of newbies that need your inspiration!

SeanR1221

Went to iron sport today to do some deadlifting with the bumper plates

408x8x1 and then a 408x1x2

Finished up with snatch grip deads 283 x3x5

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Went to iron sport today to do some deadlifting with the bumper plates

408x8x1 and then a 408x1x2

Finished up with snatch grip deads 283 x3x5

You will get more out of them if you make them Romanian snatch grip deads IMO and post a video, I'd like to see how you're doing them, if you don't mind.

SeanR1221

You will get more out of them if you make them Romanian snatch grip deads IMO and post a video, I'd like to see how you're doing them, if you don't mind.

Yeah I definitely don't do them RDL style now. I hit the ground on every rep. Id imagine Romanian is much harder but probably hits the upper back/hamstrings even more.

I'll try them at less weight next week and shoot a video

---

You can't beat the iron sport atmosphere. My one friend had a DL pr of 540 and as he's struggling half way Steve drops everything and starts screaming at him to keep pulling, hips forward.

A group of guys were trying to figure out the log and Steve came over and gave them a quick tutorial.

You can't put a price on that kind of stuff.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah I definitely don't do them RDL style now. I hit the ground on every rep. Id imagine Romanian is much harder but probably hits the upper back/hamstrings even more.

I'll try them at less weight next week and shoot a video

---

You can't beat the iron sport atmosphere. My one friend had a DL pr of 540 and as he's struggling half way Steve drops everything and starts screaming at him to keep pulling, hips forward.

A group of guys were trying to figure out the log and Steve came over and gave them a quick tutorial.

You can't put a price on that kind of stuff.

It will emphasize glutes and hams more too. And the snatch grip will increase ROM and smash upper back/lats so long as you continuously draw the bar into your legs. I wanna see a video to be sure you're hip hinging correctly.

I'd love to be near a gym like steve's but at this point I think the onus would be on me to make one.

Sadetar

I think that the important thing about the grip is that the hands are pinning the bar against the back, not bearing any weight with the wrists. Rippetoe does define the grip as having the thumb atop the bar, but it seems possible to put the thumb wherever you feel like and still bear the weight properly if you are mindful of what you're doing. "keep it atop the bar" as a staunch rule probably exists as a cue to decrease the odds people accidentally bear the weight with their arms.
Ok. Thank you for this insight. :)

Thanks guys, i wish i could say i was more proud of myself then i am, i actually feel like its never good enough and that i have so much more to go. The eternal struggle. I'm going to have pics up for fitgaf and im going to make them only seen by replying to the link, still scared of lurkers.
I know those feelings all too well. After I started to work out I am way more aware of my imperfections, extra fat, lack of thightness and I know there is still so much that needs to change.

I also understand where are you coming from with hidden links. I don't think I would do anything differently though. If someone is having so much extra time in their hands they can do art of me, good for them. This seems to be their general level. Love their imagination since I haven't never looked like that.
OBSXsez.png

No, everytime i need new pants, i buy 1 or 2 on clearance on the new size and just go from there. My size 36 pants are falling off right now but i think i could deal with it and go strait to 33s, ive already gotten several size 34 pants fitting no issue, but why waste funds on pants im going to wear for a month if even that long. That is another reason why i want to get done cutting so i can finally build a solid wardrobe, right now its all loose hanging clothes because i got tired of buying smaller size stuff so often.
I have myself been using skirts and dresses since they don't need to be that exact with sizes.

I haven't actually owned jeans for over a decade. Yesterday I went and tried them on for the first time in ages. I noticed that my biggest issue was my thighs. The clerk said that they will get looser with time so I would be able to get the crotch area high enough, but I didn't buy them at least yet. Never thought I would have problems like that, but I was yet quite pleased. When I finally get to the size I feel comfortable, I might get them eventually. Anyways, me with zero pump and much bloat:
20150227_180209.jpg

Only the 3rd day back on IF and my body is already adapted. Gotta love that.
I have meant to talk about this.

I have noticed I am not at all hungry at morning so I haven't been eating anything before my body actually is hungry. I have figured out I am starting to be hungry around 4-7 pm. I basicly eat just once or twice a day at the evening (my whole daily calories with one or two sits) and I have felt great this far. I don't really know about IF, but is this something along those lines and is it alright to do this?

So I got offered a full time gig at the cf gym I've been moonlighting at. Fitness is now officially my life. Really excited.

Also OHS pr at 283.

http://m.imgur.com/Nn6lV8C
That is great news! ^_^

Also looking damn good.

237.5lbs this morning, officially 100lbs lost in just about 3 years (only 2 of those years dieting) of lifting. I'm going to take today, sat and sun and eat at maintenance or so to give my body a break. Still going to be keto the entire time, just eating more.
You are one of my biggest motivations in here!

Congratulations! You are the beast!

I mean feeling powerful. I am proud of plenty of things. I am proud of the fact I'm going to the gym 5 days a week in the first place. Just feel a bit silly being proud of feeling powerful, haha.
Good for you - both for feeling powerful and for the pr!

Don't worry, we know that you are absolutely adorable and awesome. You have been so inspiring and helpful in here that I can't thank you enough! ^_^

Also like said, gym is an escape place for me. Just go there and pour your sorrows to heavy lifts.

Just wanted to drop in and say that while I am still procrastinating on getting to the gym (volleyball season here due to winter), you guys are quite inspiring. Sounds corny I know but just from randomly updating on the going ons here, I have ordered the SS book, read the OT, started counted calories, dropped coke, chips, fatty foods (for the most part). Big thank you from me, hope to give an update soon showing me at the gym...
Oooh, welcome! These are always good news and these kind of updates are highly appreciated.

Just get at it and you won't regret! Just drop us a line and let us know how you are doing. :D

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Looking good Sadetar, even better, you're happy with how you look, which is what actually matters.

Edit: wait, someone sent that drawing to you? Holy crap.

Sadetar

Looking good Sadetar, even better, you're happy with how you look, which is what actually matters.

Edit: wait, someone sent that drawing to you? Holy crap.
My friend linked me that pic some time back. There are people that lurk/post on these forums and talk shit about gaffers on other forums. I don't take it personally though, I just think it is quite sad that they don't have anything better to do with their time.

Oh and thank you! ^_^ I still have over 10 kilos / 25 pounds to lose, but I am quite happy about the progress this far. At least I have started to smile at photos. :D

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My friend linked me that pic some time back. There are people that lurk/post on these forums and talk shit about gaffers on other forums. I don't take it personally though, I just think it is quite sad that they don't have anything better to do with their time.

Oh and thank you! ^_^ I still have over 10 kilos / 25 pounds to lose, but I am quite happy about the progress this far. At least I have started to smile at photos. :D

Didn't think that would happen in FitGAF. I could see it in other communities. That's surprising. Glad you didn't let it get to you much.

RoeBear

Stating the obvious- Sadetar looking FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!
I wish I could fit in jeans :/

People shit talking Fit-GAF that has to be hilariously sad. People making changes for the better how can you bad talk that...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I have hard time imagining that anybody posting in this thread would do anything of that kind. I am sure it is more of a problem on other threads.

Oh, and I use them for motivation nowadays. :D

This.

I more meant that other communities would be the target of other forums from disenfranchised Neogaf posters.

People shit talking Fit-GAF that has to be hilariously sad. People making changes for the better how can you bad talk that...

"you're losing weight too fast, that isn't healthy"
"no one likes big muscles, you'll look like a freak"
"gods why do you wanna be a meathead?"
"you look fine, don't lose more weight"

it's, like, super easy.

One of my exes at least was honest and told me i should quit keto because she wanted to get back to cooking carb heavy dishes already.

Also never ever look into Reddit's Bizarro NeoGaf. Nothing good will come of it.

RoeBear

I more meant that other communities would be the target of other forums from disenfranchised Neogaf posters.

This is what I was thinking because fitness here is either about improvement, or asking for advice, which doesn't warrant negativity.

it's, like, super easy.

One of my exes at least was honest and told me i should quit keto because she wanted to get back to cooking carb heavy dishes already.

Also never ever look into Reddit's Bizarro NeoGaf. Nothing good will come of it.

Lol I forgot about that. My mom asked me to stop getting bigger. The funny thing is I'm losing bodyfat so I'm losing weight and getting smaller. Also someone at the gym said I look too big...

Sadetar

Awwwww! Thank you!

Oh and I can imagine how hard it would be for you to find jeans. Even I had hard time trying to find nice fitting jeans. Those ones aren't as high as they should since the thighs are too thight, but the clerk told me that if I would buy them they would get looser and I would be able to pull them higher in no time.

I also found out that there should be made-to-fit-your-measures jeans available in the later this year. So they scan your body and made jeans for those exact measures. Do you have anything like that around your area?

it's, like, super easy.

Well, it seems to be super easy like said in here.

"Big legs look bad on girls."
"Too much muscles is gross."
"Eating well must be only a phase."

It might be even easier to shit talk a woman about working out since "you will end up looking like a lad" and "your legs look like they could crush a brick wall" are heard numerous times even in real life. Everyone feels that they are entitled to have an opinion about one's body and share it if one works out. I mean sure, compliments feel good but if you are about to say something negative you could think twice. We don't go to people saying that they are fat or too thin either.

I never look anything nasty on purpose though. I also think that if someone doesn't appreciate your hard work, in the end it is their problem, not yours.

This is what I was thinking because fitness here is either about improvement, or asking for advice, which doesn't warrant negativity.

Lol I forgot about that. My mom asked me to stop getting bigger. The funny thing is I'm losing bodyfat so I'm losing weight and getting smaller. Also someone at the gym said I look too big...
I do love this thread because of the positive and encouraging athmosphere. I appreciate it that the general negativity haven't yet hit this place even if some might criticize us.

And damn. Trust me, you aren't too big. From what I remember seeing your photos you look absolutely gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom