• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocopuffs

Banned
Got a couple questions for FitGAF.

I've been an on and off go'er of the gym for the past year now. I've made decent progress, all of sudden I got busy and didn't go for awhile, progress gone, made it back cause muscle memory, then bam weight dropped.

Current stats are like:
Bench: 125lbs
Squat: 115lbs
OHP: I don't even know, 75lbs prolly.

I used to do Starting Strength but that got super repetitive and felt like there was way too much emphasis on the legs (at a certain point, I was squatting 165lbs, had huge legs, but couldn't bench for shit and barely an upper body.

Switched to GSLP recently and the whole last set to failure thing and squatting twice a week feels much better.

c5JRGml.png

What I'm wondering is,
#1 For those days that I'm busy (with work and whatnot) and cant actually attend the gym, what can I do maintain?
#2: Squats, fuck em. What should I do for motivation?
#3: Any other general advice?

Thanks!

Sadetar

Sadetar awesome progress. Keep it up
Looking great sadetar! Keep it up!!
Thank you! I totally love this place since everyone is so adorable and supportive! You just made my day! ^_^

* melts *
<3

Hopefully your shoulder problems will get better soon!

Sounds like intermittent fasting to me. Good news is it's working based on your picture! Looking great!
Awww, thank you sweetie!

Yeah, I cleaned my diet a little while ago. I am still a bit bloated, but I hope it will go away and I would have a bit more defined waist again. I will be hopefully posting proper comparison pics at some point. Eleventh of March and I will have been hitting the gym for a year. :)

Wait, wait, wait.

Sadetar is a chick?! :O
Where have you been to just find out now? :p
Hahahah, oh my gods! I thought I have been spamming pics even a bit too often, but it seems you have managed to miss all of them before that one. :p

I..I don't know. I didn't think there were many girl gaffers that posted in this thread aside from Zoe.
Cooper is definitely a lady and she is one of the regulars. Leeness posts here and there. Other lovely ladies pop in once in a while. And well, of course I have been pain in the ass for nearly a year also. ;)

Oof, yeah that's something I'm totally aware of too and it's a big downer. It just sucks that whenever I lose weight it never htis that area, my breasts and butt just shrink and I even look more weird.

I took this a couple of weeks ago when I started going back to the gym. I should probably take progress pictures maybe.

So I really don't have much at all to complain about. I just feel unattractive without clothes on.
Tits are something a woman has basicly no control over since that is all about genetics. Ass is still something that you can train. My butt is actually bigger now since I have been doing squats even if I have been losing weight. If you want to balance your proportions, walking lunges, deadlifts and squats could work on leg department.

I have also noticed that taking progress pics too often is just depressing. Give it months if not half a year before taking comparison pics and you will see the difference and that if something is motivating. :D

And don't get me wrong, you are really good looking lady. We are our worst critics and I have hard time imagining you wouldn't look sexy as hell also naked.
Feeling sexy naked is actually one of my goals too!

Yeah the first thing I did was change my diet, and it's actually improved a bit. I don't think I'm allergic to wheat gluten and all but after cutting bread and rice almost completely I don't get as bloated any more. Maybe I should be a bit stricter...
I would recommend you to try out under 20 grams of carbs per day for two weeks with your normal daily calorie intake and see if that would solve your problem.

Aww, you're all so kind. The high-level numbers from the scan are

7/01/2014, 16.3 BF%, 20.3 total pounds fat, 98.6 total pounds lean mass
2/24/2015, 19.6 BF%, 28.6 total pounds fat, 111.6 total pounds lean mass

And here's a picture of me according to DEXA. :p

dexa_profile_2_2015.png
Ooh, totally fancy pic! It seems that the extra fat has gone to your thighs. I might be a bit jealous since mine just goes straight to the belly. Lucky you. :p

Also may I ask how tall are you? I know that my back is very long so I have quite much space between my hip bones and lunges but when I look that scan of yours, it looks like yours is way shorter. I would imagine you are very tiny little thing (with loads of muscle and attitude). :)

Fox318

Had some pain in my shin that I later found out was shin splints. Used a roller to stretch out for the first time and holy shit it makes such a difference.

Helped out with my lower back and lats.

Did some front squats for the first time today. I think I like the crossarmed grip better than using my wrists bent like such. I know my chest is holding all of the weight but unless I start wrapping my wrists I don't like it.

I'm gonna pick up some Chuck Taylor's for lifting. The running shoes are shit. I might have some old wrestling shoes I could use insread though...

Chocobro

Got a couple questions for FitGAF.

I've been an on and off go'er of the gym for the past year now. I've made decent progress, all of sudden I got busy and didn't go for awhile, progress gone, made it back cause muscle memory, then bam weight dropped.

Current stats are like:
Bench: 125lbs
Squat: 115lbs
OHP: I don't even know, 75lbs prolly.

I used to do Starting Strength but that got super repetitive and felt like there was way too much emphasis on the legs (at a certain point, I was squatting 165lbs, had huge legs, but couldn't bench for shit and barely an upper body.

Switched to GSLP recently and the whole last set to failure thing and squatting twice a week feels much better.

http://i.imgur.com/c5JRGml.png[IMG]

What I'm wondering is,
#1 For those days that I'm busy (with work and whatnot) and cant actually attend the gym, what can I do maintain?
#2: Squats, fuck em. What should I do for motivation?
#3: Any other general advice?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

#1 - Sometimes it can't be helped. I started working two months ago and was still able to do that same GSLP program, however I only go twice a week (Friday night and Sunday noon). I'm planning to add Tuesday night, but only to do the two main lifts (OHP/BP and squats) since John Scheaffer is fine with people doing just the base program. So maybe that's something to think about.
#2 - Not sure what to say, I personally like squats lol. There are just many benefits from doing them. Jason Blaha made a pretty good [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtRhDG36HlQ"]video[/URL] on it. My personal desire to squat like a Chinese WLer also drives me to squat better.
#3 - Again, it's fine to go twice a week. John Scheaffer has a two day per week base program. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Remember to work on mobility, I preach it a lot here.

Hi FitGaf I know my only post was back in January (I tend to lurk this thread more than post) but I thought I'd share some progress. Back when I started I was clocking in at 212lbs. I'm now down to 197lbs.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Tried DLs and lowerback is just not having it. Did a bunch of bb rows and uppr back work at least. Shoulder is fucked, I'm not benching anymore, will just do whatever doesn't hurt to keep the shoulders and chest aesthetic.

Never too late for breakfast...

FYv9tsE.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tried DLs and lowerback is just not having it. Did a bunch of bb rows and uppr back work at least. Shoulder is fucked, I'm not benching anymore, will just do whatever doesn't hurt to keep the shoulders and chest aesthetic.

Never too late for breakfast...

FYv9tsE.jpg

I wonder how low weight hyperextension deadlifts would work for you. Might be the lower back work you need to get that low back going again. It's something I wanna add in my training down the line because aside from shoulder issues, low back is always my problem.

That said, with your line of work, you're already getting a ton of low back work I'm sure.

MrToughPants

I actually tried some extensions today, no weight, and it didn't really do anything. I have zero back pain when doing high bar squats or front squats.

Right now my problem is tightness and some reduced mobility in the muscles and ligaments in the left groin/hip area; resulting from the tear. All that tightness is being directed to my lowerback. I've been stretching twice a day and it has improved but I figure it will be a few more weeks.

ILoveBish

Im going to make eggs now.

edit - I had eggs with low carb tortillas heated up for bread and it was great. Missed sunny side up eggs.

bokn

Banned
I recently added the chest up cue for my squats and I get a very warm sensation in the mid back just above the lower back during my squats

Afterwards my mid back is pretty sore for like a day or two

Am I doing something wrong, gaf?

BadTaste

Well I'm stupid... recently I received ON Gold Standard Whey 2.2kg in the mail. I didn't place an order for a tub yet it was addressed to me. I called up the company that sent me it (Dolphin Fitness) telling them what happened and now they're gonna send out somebody to pick it up. I tried persuading the woman on the phone to just let me keep it but she said they can't let that happen. I should never have called them about it in the first place, damn I'm dumb...

Heysoos

Ever since I switched from SL5x5 to 5/3/1 all my lifts have gone up but squat is regressing and it's bumming out really bad. I was able to do 315 pretty well when I was doing 5x5s and now I struggle to even do it more than once. :/

"Boring but big"

Have you done a deload week? Or maybe you could try switching up the accessory plan? I just started 5/3/1 myself, started my second cycle today, but when I looked at it BBB seemed like it was a good way to end up overtraining. I dropped Starting Strength for 5/3/1 because I felt like even that much squatting was getting me overtrained.

I picked Triumvirate. Like I said, I have no idea since I just started but my quads feel a lot better than they did when I stalled on Starting Strength. My thought is that you either are putting too much weight on your accessory squats or you should just do a different accessory set.

The Chef

Looks like I need to get more serious with my diet. Thought I was doing fine on my own but I am just not getting the results I want. Going to start counting macros. Anyone recommend any iPhone app for daily tracking?

Powercast

Ever since I switched from SL5x5 to 5/3/1 all my lifts have gone up but squat is regressing and it's bumming out really bad. I was able to do 315 pretty well when I was doing 5x5s and now I struggle to even do it more than once. :/

It's the lack of volume/frequency of 531 compared to sl. Try doing some back off sets after your amrap set and add some pause/front squats on your deadlift day.

Kisaya

Tits are something a woman has basicly no control over since that is all about genetics. Ass is still something that you can train. My butt is actually bigger now since I have been doing squats even if I have been losing weight. If you want to balance your proportions, walking lunges, deadlifts and squats could work on leg department.

I have also noticed that taking progress pics too often is just depressing. Give it months if not half a year before taking comparison pics and you will see the difference and that if something is motivating. :D

And don't get me wrong, you are really good looking lady. We are our worst critics and I have hard time imagining you wouldn't look sexy as hell also naked.
Feeling sexy naked is actually one of my goals too!

I would recommend you to try out under 20 grams of carbs per day for two weeks with your normal daily calorie intake and see if that would solve your problem.

Thanks Sadetar :) Yeah having smaller breasts wouldn't be the biggest loss, they're pretty small to begin with. It's just annoying having clothing that falls off you because you're not that busty >_< And I realize that about the butt, I've just naturally had a bigger one and didn't have to train much at all, but now I realize that I'm going to have to since I'll be losing weight. I definitely do lots of squats, walking lunges, and other leg exercises so I'm glad I'm on the right track with that!

I'm not keen on taking progression pictures either, especially because I'm so impatient. Hopefully I can notice a difference in the next couple of months :)

And also thanks for the diet advice. I have a hard time knowing what exactly to avoid, so most of the time I usually just cut out things all together than eating moderately. I'm going to check out the OP, but what's everyone's favorite app (if there is one) when it comes to recording the foods you eat? (edit: oh i see someone recently just asked, haha)

Heysoos

Have you done a deload week? Or maybe you could try switching up the accessory plan? I just started 5/3/1 myself, started my second cycle today, but when I looked at it BBB seemed like it was a good way to end up overtraining. I dropped Starting Strength for 5/3/1 because I felt like even that much squatting was getting me overtrained.

I picked Triumvirate. Like I said, I have no idea since I just started but my quads feel a lot better than they did when I stalled on Starting Strength. My thought is that you either are putting too much weight on your accessory squats or you should just do a different accessory set.

Yep, I'm doing the deload week and everything. Following then plan pretty closely. For the accessory squat I do 185.

add front squats on your deadlift days?
Listen to this man. Front squats strengthen your quads which will carry over to back squats

Cool, I'll look into it.

I wonder what would happen if you switch around all the accessory lifts, like doing the high-rep squats on deadlift day and light deadlifts on squat day.

I think that's actually what most people do. Many people here have done it and apparently it's better.

Something else I'll look into. I really liked 5x5 for this reason, was super fun to squat 3 days a week, I actually looked forward to it.

My friend suggested adding a second day of squatting. Right now I do Squats on Monday, bench on Tuesday, rest Wednesday, Deadlifts on Thursday and finish Friday with OHP. Suggested I switch DL with OHP and adding another day of squats, at lower weight on Wednesday. Would it be safe to do that? Or should I just not alter the program that way?

despire

My friend suggested adding a second day of squatting. Right now I do Squats on Monday, bench on Tuesday, rest Wednesday, Deadlifts on Thursday and finish Friday with OHP. Suggested I switch DL with OHP and adding another day of squats, at lower weight on Wednesday. Would it be safe to do that? Or should I just not alter the program that way?

Don't alter the program. It's the way it is for a reason. If you want to squat more then just move the BBB assistance squats after DL's. That way you squat heavy on monday and moderate/light on thursday.

It's the lack of volume/frequency of 531 compared to sl. Try doing some back off sets after your amrap set and add some pause/front squats on your deadlift day.

Yup I switched my 5/3/1 to a split type workout and I love it. Doing all big lifts at least twice a week, with more of an emphasis at 80%-90% with a higher work load. Tougher but I feel stronger just three weeks in. Plain 5/3/1 is lacking in volume/frequency.

Cooper

Ooh, totally fancy pic! It seems that the extra fat has gone to your thighs. I might be a bit jealous since mine just goes straight to the belly. Lucky you. :p

Also may I ask how tall are you? I know that my back is very long so I have quite much space between my hip bones and lunges but when I look that scan of yours, it looks like yours is way shorter. I would imagine you are very tiny little thing (with loads of muscle and attitude). :)

I'm 5'5"/a bit taller than 165 cm. So not super tiny, but certainly not tall. I think the image is "mapped" onto a body template, as opposed to a direct image of someone's silhouette, so I don't think you can directly tell a person's height from the image. It's more for interpreting the density of various types of tissue within an area, I think.

God Dayumm said:
Cooper! How much did that analysis cost?
The company that did it for me, BodySpec, charges about $50 per scan, depending on how many you buy. So not horribly expensive, especially when it's only worth doing say, 2 - 3 times a year.

ILoveBish

I personally wouldn't be doing 531 if I wasn't cutting. It's a great program, very slow however which is perfect for someone on a cut or slow bulk. But there are better programs out there if you are eating plenty and lifting, IMO.

andycapps

Yup I switched my 5/3/1 to a split type workout and I love it. Doing all big lifts at least twice a week, with more of an emphasis at 80%-90% with a higher work load. Tougher but I feel stronger just three weeks in. Plain 5/3/1 is lacking in volume/frequency.

Can you post your sample routine. What you're doing sounds like something I'd like to do after being on 5/3/1 for months.

Can you post your sample routine. What you're doing sounds like something I'd like to do after being on 5/3/1 for months.

Sure I'll link you to my google spreadsheet here in a moment. Let me clean it up first.

edit: Hopefully this makes sense: google doc

edit2: If anyone has any ideas of doing the above doc better, let me know. I just started running it a few weeks ago and like how often I'm doing my main lifts.

BumRush

Sure I'll link you to my google spreadsheet here in a moment. Let me clean it up first.

edit2: If anyone has any ideas of doing the above doc better, let me know. I just started running it a few weeks ago and like how often I'm doing my main lifts.

Did you select those accessory lifts yourself or get them from the program?

Did you select those accessory lifts yourself or get them from the program?

Myself. Accessory lifts in places where I felt weak on my main lifts/where I want to build more power from. I also like doing calf raises because I can be a vain motherfucker sometimes.

edit: Also some stuff is named incorrectly in there because at the time I didn't know the technical term for the accessory lift and just went with something.

On the subject of calves... mine are HUGE, but they're also right the way at the top of my lower leg... so basically worthless in terms of aesthetics. lol

andycapps

Thanks, will take a look at this tonight. I'm actually starting my week 1 again this week so this may be a good time to try something new.

BumRush

Myself. Accessory lifts in places where I felt weak on my main lifts/where I want to build more power from. I also like doing calf raises because I can be a vain motherfucker sometimes.

edit: Also some stuff is named incorrectly in there because at the time I didn't know the technical term for the accessory lift and just went with something.

Got it. A few things about your accessories (just because you asked for critique):

• You're doing pendlays and DB rows on back to back to back days, which might be counterproductive
  • Day 3: DL, Squat AND Straight Leg DL? That's a lot, especially when you're DL 2X per week and squatting 3X. Careful not to overwork
  • Personally, I'd add a shoulder accessory or two (especially if even a part of your goal is aesthetics since you're focusing a lot on your legs, back and chest and effectively not at all on your shoulders).
  • Lastly, maybe I'm missing it in your naming but you'd benefit from throwing in DB Bench (incline? pause press?). At least for me, pause press bench with DBs have probably grown my chest more than any exercise (inc BB bench)

Got it. A few things about your accessories (just because you asked for critique):

• You're doing pendlays and DB rows on back to back to back days, which might be counterproductive
  • Day 3: DL, Squat AND Straight Leg DL? That's a lot, especially when you're DL 2X per week and squatting 3X. Careful not to overwork
  • Personally, I'd add a shoulder accessory or two (especially if even a part of your goal is aesthetics since you're focusing a lot on your legs, back and chest and effectively not at all on your shoulders).
  • Lastly, maybe I'm missing it in your naming but you'd benefit from throwing in DB Bench (incline? pause press?). At least for me, pause press bench with DBs have probably grown my chest more than any exercise (inc BB bench)

I just love rows so much! Although you are probably right about the overworking on the first two points. I've been doing some band exercises for shoulders but am always looking to improve my routine. I used to do incline bench every time I had a chest day but threw that out with my current routine. I'll think about adding that back in. Thank you for your critique! I really do appreciate it.

BumRush

I just love rows so much! Although you are probably right about the overworking on the first two points. I've been doing some band exercises for shoulders but am always looking to improve my routine. I used to do incline bench every time I had a chest day but threw that out with my current routine. I'll think about adding that back in. Thank you for your critique! I really do appreciate it.

No problem man. I love having people look at my accessories, since sometimes people tend to gravitate towards what they like, not necessarily what is the best for a well rounded workout. Do me a favor...throw pause press heavy DB incline press in there one day soon and let me know how incredible they are.

No problem man. I love having people look at my accessories, since sometimes people tend to gravitate towards what they like, not necessarily what is the best for a well rounded workout. Do me a favor...throw pause press heavy DB incline press in there one day soon and let me know how incredible they are.

Alright I'll give those a try tomorrow after bench and try them out. Sounds rough.

MrToughPants

Well today was a big day and I was nervous. I had 415x5 lined up and I got it, wasn't too difficult. No pain, just discomfort. Did 405 2x5 afterwards, which were difficult, and will finish with a 325x20 then some stretches. I'm debating 425x5 next week or reset.

edit

Fuck was that 325 hard...

SeanR1221

Since we're talking accessory, heres what I like...

Squat day
- Front Squats
- Paused Squats
- Barbell Glute Bridges
- Hyperextensions

Deadlift day
- Snatch grip DL
- Shrugs
- Cable rows
- standing DB rows

Bench day
- Dips
- lighter bench, higher reps
- Australian pullups
- barbell curls

Guessing that the new year's wave is about done by now and 13kg lighter, so let us go back to the gym today. About time, haven't been there since december.

Good thing i had that argument with ILoveEvilore otherwise would be hitting it with less than 1 thousand kcals a day.

Rest of the week should be fun. And by fun i mean sore. Always end up overworking these comebacks.

On a different note, octopus goes *really* well with lemon. Sadly nearly all protein. Retains vitamin C after cooked, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom