• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Functional strength example for the OP inspired by this long, long weekend:

"Redoing your kitchen? Big boxes of tile and cabinets pose no danger to your back and shoulders."

It HAD to be the day after deadlifts we finally picked a tile and bought ALL OF IT home

Imm0rt4l

DEWrjZ_large.jpg

word

The only thing I use the Smith for these days is shrugs, and pushup dropsets.

I only do shrugs in the Smith bc my gym has no standard box rack. Just those weird squat racks. The side bars that stop the bar when you fall during a squat aren't adjustable and I'm too short to shrug without hitting them. lol

To be honest it even makes me reluctant to do DLs sometimes. It's just a bitch to load up a BB on the floor even with cookies.

Imm0rt4l

I think there's nothing inherently wrong with using a smith machine. I have a friend who says he benches 315, but he uses a smith machine. Firstly, smith machine bench=/=your bench. 2nd, the bar on the smith machine isn't 45 lbs. 3rd, it uses no stabilizing muscles. I've used smith machine for behind the neck press, but I avoid that movement all together now.

Sadetar

Rokkerkory, I need to say that you and your lady together look like my stereotypical ideal couple from a soap opera. I mean that in the best possible way - you are both smoking hot.

Caught my tris lookin' pretty huge in this snapchat lol
For a reason or another you remind me of Wolverine in that photo. Love it! <3

Lol I can see the snapchat now

Wanna see my bulge baby?

Mmmm ok ;)

*pic*

My thoughts exactly... ;)

I feel minuscule compared to some people here but progress is progress, just eating more and working out at home only..primarily body weight exercises.

http://i.imgur.com/1uFlGQg.jpg
Wow! Absolutely awesome progress!

How long did it take you to gain the muscles?

Also good looking tat you have there. ^_^

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The only thing I use the Smith for these days is shrugs, and pushup dropsets.

I only do shrugs in the Smith bc my gym has no standard box rack. Just those weird squat racks. The side bars that stop the bar when you fall during a squat aren't adjustable and I'm too short to shrug without hitting them. lol

To be honest it even makes me reluctant to do DLs sometimes. It's just a bitch to load up a BB on the floor even with cookies.

Suck it up butter cup! I feel ya though, I'm near buying one of those portable barbell jacks just to make it less of a hassle.

Matugi

Lol I can see the snapchat now

Wanna see my bulge baby?

Mmmm ok ;)

*pic*

the girl i sent it to asked me to whisk her away. needless to say i felt used, like a piece of meat. i am a man, not something for her to oogle! this is why i need swole acceptance

SeanR1221

the girl i sent it to asked me to whisk her away. needless to say i felt used, like a piece of meat. i am a man, not something for her to oogle! this is why i need swole acceptance

I know that feeling, brother.

All the ladies be thirsty.

roxyd43

Neo Member
Hi all. I was hoping I could get some suggestions for leg work outs with a bad knee. I had a knee scope done in November 2013 because of osteonecrosis (bone death) in the back of my knee. I still need to get another surgery to insert cadaver bone in there. I can walk and swim for cardio, but I'm looking for some good leg workouts. I've always used weights on leg days, but until after the next surgery, I'm pretty limited in what I can do; nothing weight bearing in flexion.

Any ideas or alternate work outs would be appreciated!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I was doing my dumbbells routine about an hour ago. Someone called me, so I had to stop. Since I stopped short and I wasn't "feeling the burn" at all, I tried to resume the exercises some minutes ago, but shortly after picking the weights my left arm lost its strength. It didn't hurt, It just couldn't hold the dumbbell at all and I had to drop it.

It was very scary, never felt something similar before. My arm doens't hurt at all and I can type with it, but it still feels "funny". IS this a common occurrence or should I be worried?

Can you guys check my depth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prlrUKM_Wjc

Kidding aside, it's been almost a year since I hurt my back. Hurt it again in October and I'm just finally starting to feel like it is strong again. Hit a 330 paused squat and then 275x5. You can still see just from those videos that it is not as strong as my legs which is frustrating.

Gotta keep grinding.

iddqd

I was doing my dumbbells routine about an hour ago. Someone called me, so I had to stop. Since I stopped short and I wasn't "feeling the burn" at all, I tried to resume the exercises some minutes ago, but shortly after picking the weights my left arm lost its strength. It didn't hurt, It just couldn't hold the dumbbell at all and I had to drop it.

It was very scary, never felt something similar before. My arm doens't hurt at all and I can type with it, but it still feels "funny". IS this a common occurrence or should I be worried?

fb0.jpg

Chocobro

I started having this problem a month ago: after some heavy high-bar back squats or deadlifts (mainly squats though), the area around the tailbone area starts hurting. It would go away after a minute or so. However when I bend over while on my knees to wash my hair, the same area would start to hurt as well. My friend suggested it was a [pilonidal] cyst because he had a similar experience. However it doesn't hurt when I sit like he experienced. I went to a doctor two Saturdays ago and he said it isn't a [pilonidal] cyst (there's no redness or swelling as far as I know) and it's probably the way I'm squatting that's aggravating the area.

Anyone had a similar experience or have any advice?
Reposting because I need some opinions.
Should I take a few weeks off and do some rehab and maybe see another doctor about it? Based on a post on BB.com (I know, I know...but I don't have another "good" source regarding this issue with weightlifting) about it. I've been doing a good amount of SMR on my glutes with a lacrosse ball and a few more hip stretches the last two days.

Leeness

Checking in to say I worked out today. Grrrr. Though my tummy hurts...I may take a gravol before bed :(

Good night!

Irobot82

Reposting because I need some opinions.
Should I take a few weeks off and do some rehab and maybe see another doctor about it? Based on a post on BB.com (I know, I know...but I don't have another "good" source regarding this issue with weightlifting) about it. I've been doing a good amount of SMR on my glutes with a lacrosse ball and a few more hip stretches the last two days.

Is it the bone that hurts or the muscles? I know when I was reaching my upper squat limits by lower back would be on fire and I'd have to take much longer rests. Sitting or standing it didn't matter it was just muscle exhaustion.

So I have been dropping the fat and that is fantastic and all, but it still bothers me that my arm size is smaller than it was in December. From 18 cold flex to around 17.25. I know it is just the fat coming off but it still is annoying.

So I have been dropping the fat and that is fantastic and all, but it still bothers me that my arm size is smaller than it was in December. From 18 cold flex to around 17.25. I know it is just the fat coming off but it still is annoying.

That feeling when you lose the fat in the areas it actually looks good. I miss my fat calves "(

rugioh

Banned
How heavy is the empty barbell on the bench press? I looked at it thoroughly to find the weight written on it but didn't see anything.. I feel embarrassed to work in on anyone else doing bench because at the moment I think I can only add 50lbs to it at the absolute maximum to lift, whereas everyone else adds 70-90lbs in their sets.

Chocobro

Is it the bone that hurts or the muscles? I know when I was reaching my upper squat limits by lower back would be on fire and I'd have to take much longer rests. Sitting or standing it didn't matter it was just muscle exhaustion.

Not the muscles I think, I feel the discomfort the right side of the tailbone/coccyx: Link (SFW). My lower back is fine.

Irobot82

How heavy is the empty barbell on the bench press? I looked at it thoroughly to find the weight written on it but didn't see anything.. I feel embarrassed to work in on anyone else doing bench because at the moment I think I can only add 50lbs to it at the absolute maximum to lift, whereas everyone else adds 70-90lbs in their sets.

A Standard Olympic barbell weighs 45lbs. I am currently only at 45lbs on each side. It's no big deal bro.

Not the muscles I think, I feel the discomfort the right side of the tailbone/coccyx: Link (SFW). My lower back is fine.

Hmmm.... Way out of my depth of knowledge. Have you tried a sports medicine doctor?

Edit; The only thing that comes to mind for me is if you fell hard on your bum pre-puberty it could make the bones fuse and that can cause discomfort in thigns.

Cudder

A standard Olympic bar should be 45lbs, which is most likely what yours are. There are exceptions though.

Booties

Banned
I feel like I finally got my deadlift form down. Keeping my shoulderblades over the bar and my head neutral helped me the most.

sphinx

the piano man

That feeling when you lose the fat in the areas it actually looks good. I miss my fat calves "(

very much the reason why I hesitate so much to cut...

I am small as it is. if I lost 6 pounds, I probably shouldn't have bothered all this time in the first place, I think I'll look like 2012.

then again, I suspect I am wrong and I'd look good after a pump... I think, dunno

SeanR1221

The soreness from this iron sport method. My god man!

My lower back. My lats. My delts. My wrists. My elbow.

It all feels like I was hit by a truck, flew into the other lane and had another truck smack me.

Most likely will move to a 3 workout a week cycle. I just like my routine of doing certain compounds on certain days :(

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
All this traveling is really having an effect on me. I feel like I'm getting Fat.

Yesterday, I ran 5K and did some standard no weight squats. Since I am traveling tomorrow and won't be able to hit a gym, I'm going overboard this afternoon.

Weights only today.

Warm up, 5 minutes on treadmill and 3x7 pull ups.

4x5 Bench press at 210 lbs.
3x5 Dead lift 165 lbs.
3x8 Lat pulldowns at 140 lbs.
4x5 OHP at 105lbs.
4x5 squats 140 lbs.

3x5 barbell curls at 80 lbs.
3x5 skull crushers at 60 lbs.

maybe a few more arm exercises. I may be going overboard. The gym at the hotel won't have anything but a treadmill. may have db's but they will top out at 35 lbs.

Matugi

Switched to low bar squat a month ago using techniques I saw in some various YouTube videos and did 275-295-315 5-5-5 no problem today, not a twinge of pain outside of exhaustion. I saw really good warm up techniques from a polish bodybuilder and used them today and was able to get ATG no problem. Usually I can only do high bar and front squats ATG cus of tight calves and general lack of hip mobility but basically holding a goblet squat for like 30 seconds really helped to opening IP my hips.

In other news I upped my EC dose into the second-to-last building phase and it's 77 and humid here and I'm sweating like a motherfucker haha

Imm0rt4l

Switched to low bar squat a month ago using techniques I saw in some various YouTube videos and did 275-295-315 5-5-5 no problem today, not a twinge of pain outside of exhaustion. I saw really good warm up techniques from a polish bodybuilder and used them today and was able to get ATG no problem. Usually I can only do high bar and front squats ATG cus of tight calves and general lack of hip mobility but basically holding a goblet squat for like 30 seconds really helped to opening IP my hips.

In other news I upped my EC dose into the second-to-last building phase and it's 77 and humid here and I'm sweating like a motherfucker haha

Aren't you supposed to NOT go ATG if you lowbar? That's something more suited to highbar iirc, but everyone is different.

Im getting fond of cycle rotation (Texas Method). I enjoy maxing out, then reset to cement the strength foundation. Seems pretty logical and rational approach imo.

Anywho:

5x5 102,5 Kg HB Squat + 3 weighted warm up sets excl. 2 warm up sets w/ BB only

4x5 45 Kg + 1x5 47,5 Kg OHP + 3 weighted warm up sets excl. 2 warm-up sets w/ BB only

1x5 115 Kg DL + warm-up sets : 1x5 60 Kg + 1x3 80 Kg + 1x2 100 Kg

Barely managed to complete the routine today. I'm looking forward to the 24 Hour gym change next month.

Matugi

Aren't you supposed to NOT go ATG if you lowbar? That's something more suited to highbar iirc, but everyone is different.

I think it's a matter of buttwink or not, really. In high bar since you drop straight down it doesn't really give the chance to have a butt wink which is why ATG is possible (also with the way the hips open up I guess). I think for low bar you go as far down as you can without butt wink (although I don't think having that is inherently bad) because after that you lose tightness and will have to compensate by using your back on the concentric movement.

In reality I didn't truly go "ATG" but I went past parallel which is a lot better than I have been in the past for low bar

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I think it's a matter of buttwink or not, really. In high bar since you drop straight down it doesn't really give the chance to have a butt wink which is why ATG is possible (also with the way the hips open up I guess). I think for low bar you go as far down as you can without butt wink (although I don't think having that is inherently bad) because after that you lose tightness and will have to compensate by using your back on the concentric movement.

In reality I didn't truly go "ATG" but I went past parallel which is a lot better than I have been in the past for low bar

Buttwink is certainly possible with highbar, Pat Mendes is notorious for it.

So does that kinda defeat the notion that buttwink is inherently bad?

when you squat below parallel some degree of buttwink is inevitable, as long as it's not excessive or causing pain I don't think it's worth worrying about.

Going to a beach wedding in 4 weeks. I am officially shifting this cut up a gear.

Imm0rt4l

Ah I see, I think the biggest issue with squatting atg lowbar is hamstring tightness being lost.

Matugi

Ah I see, I think the biggest issue with squatting atg lowbar is hamstring tightness being lost.

Yeah I can definitely understand that, especially considering hamstrings are extensors (I think) and when you're ATG your quads are completely flexed so it'd be hard to maintain that tension in the hamstrings so you can more efficiently propel up. That's probably why when you lose hamstring tension you overcompensate by using your back to go upwards, and if you aren't strong enough it'll turn your squat into a goodmorning

Yeah I can definitely understand that, especially considering hamstrings are extensors (I think) and when you're ATG your quads are completely flexed so it'd be hard to maintain that tension in the hamstrings so you can more efficiently propel up. That's probably why when you lose hamstring tension you overcompensate by using your back to go upwards, and if you aren't strong enough it'll turn your squat into a goodmorning

lol thats what happened on my last rep of the vid I posted, but I was pushing myself a little

Jeez, you animal.

I don't think I have seen any photos of you before... What I have been missing! You are a proper beast. Damn sweetie, you look ridiculously sexy. Awesome work!

THANKS, PROPS & RESPECT

How'd you like it?

I'll be going later this year, any place to get a proper line/taper?

Love it bruh! It feels free; No pretentious stuck up ass people.

The Barbershop!! It's on the same block as Starbucks.
On the corner of Rua Barao da Torre & Rea Farme de Amoedo !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom