• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, my bachelor party weekend in Memphis was a great success. I even some how managed a hungover lifting session Saturday morning at my hotel's gym. Sunday... well, Sunday I was far too fucked up (mostly tired actually since I barely slept, hardly any hangover symptoms) to be anywhere near a weight room.

Now, today my cut starts. ~1950 calories on rest days and ~2400 on lifting days with a 35/35/30 (% carbs/fat/protein) ratio on rest days and a 37/37/25 (% carbs/fat/protein) ratio on lifting days. A flat 150 g protein each day, so lifting days just result in me taking in more carbs/fat.

Should result in about 0.70 lbs of weight lost per week, >90% of that being fat. My body fat % should be close to 12% by my wedding/honeymoon in September. I've got some before pictures taken and I'll take an updated picture about once a month.

Sadetar

THANKS, PROPS & RESPECT
Oh, thank you - the pleasure was all mine.

I also remember there has been a long discussion about protein bars a little while back but I don't seem to find it on the previous thread. So I am thinking of buying Quest protein bars. I don't kind of need them, but I feel they would be good thing to have in my bag if I forget my lunch at home or something.

Now I am thinking between couple flavours they have:
-Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
-Cinnamon Roll
-Coconut Cashew
-Apple Pie

They are out of Cookies and Cream otherwise I think I would have went with it.

So yes, what would you recommend?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Apple Pie GOAT
#2 is probably chocolate chip cookie dough or cinnamon bun

Oh, thank you - the pleasure was all mine.

I also remember there has been a long discussion about protein bars a little while back but I don't seem to find it on the previous thread. So I am thinking of buying Quest protein bars. I don't kind of need them, but I feel they would be good thing to have in my bag if I forget my lunch at home or something.

Now I am thinking between couple flavours they have:
-Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
-Cinnamon Roll
-Coconut Cashew
-Apple Pie

They are out of Cookies and Cream otherwise I think I would have went with it.

So yes, what would you recommend?

Yeah, you will start to forget your lunch more often. I liked the double chocolate chunk

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
About time we got back around to some serious discussions.

Top 5

PB&J
Cookie dough
Apple Pie
PB Supreme
Strawberry Cheesecake (This has really grown on me)

Apple Pie, Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Cookies and Cream, Cinnamon Roll, and PB&J are the best in that order (Apple Pie being #1).

rage1973

Just pulled 485lbs at 165lb.
I am so close to 3x bodyweight but damn it felt heavy and the weight went up very slow.
My next attempt at 495 might not be for another month.

What's the deal with heating them up? Any suggestions on the best method / which taste best heated?

Unrelated, really struggling to strip this last bit of stomach fat. Even though I'm hitting my macros (and I'm about 800kcal a day in deficit) I seem to have completely stopped losing weight. Starting to get a bit weaker in the workouts too. =/

Sadetar

Apple Pie GOAT
#2 is probably chocolate chip cookie dough or cinnamon bun
Yeah, you will start to forget your lunch more often. I liked the double chocolate chunk
About time we got back around to some serious discussions.

Top 5

PB&J
Cookie dough
Apple Pie
PB Supreme
Strawberry Cheesecake (This has really grown on me)
Apple Pie, Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Cookies and Cream, Cinnamon Roll, and PB&J are the best in that order (Apple Pie being #1).
Awww, thanks for the answers sweeties. This is a relief - I think I remembered the brand right since none of you is saying that "holy hell don't buy those". :p

I am making a mega-super-hyper-awesome gigantic order to iHerb and thought why not to try those as well.

I think that Apple pie and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough are in the finals - now I try to decide between them. I also need to buy a whole 12 pack. I have no idea how expensive those are, but that pack would be 25,44 dollars for me. Is it bad?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I am so close to 3x bodyweight but damn it felt heavy and the weight went up very slow.
Aww man. So close is right! Barring a miracle I'd say you're gonna get there first.

Revenant

Fitness Gaf,

Dumb questions, but if I'm starting strength training while having about 10 lbs to lose:

- should I still highly increase my protein intake (say buying some whey protein powder)

-eat at a deficit closer to my caloric intake since it seems you need calories for muscles to grow (I understand you can't "bulk" and lose weight necessarily, but the goal here is to lose body fat % as I'm 6'5" 210, this isn't a dramatic weight loss issue)

-I play hockey 3 times a week, and usually try to hone my skills and abilities about an hour a day, is that too much cardio alongside the strength training?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Brutal day.

First off new squat 1 rep max. 455lbs

http://youtu.be/3joJPlwrM0s

Followed that with 365lbs x 4,4 and 3.

Then worked up to two sets of good mornings at 365lbs x 3. Followed up with weighted cable crunches and finished off with leg press working up to 700lbs x 3.

Smoked.

Just uploaded the video of the lift.
I should have held the lift up a bit longer looking back.

It's still a good lift. You will probably hit your goal soon. Good work man!

rage1973

Fitness Gaf,

Dumb questions, but if I'm starting strength training while having about 10 lbs to lose:

- should I still highly increase my protein intake (say buying some whey protein powder)

-eat at a deficit closer to my caloric intake since it seems you need calories for muscles to grow (I understand you can't "bulk" and lose weight necessarily, but the goal here is to lose body fat % as I'm 6'5" 210, this isn't a dramatic weight loss issue)

-I play hockey 3 times a week, and usually try to hone my skills and abilities about an hour a day, is that too much cardio alongside the strength training?

Depends on what your main goal is.
Do you want to get stronger and if that is your top priority, don't worry about losing weight and just lift heavy and eat enough to accommodate that goal. If losing fat is your top priority, then eat at maintenance which will allow you to get stronger but at a slower rate.

Revenant

Depends on what your main goal is.
Do you want to get stronger and if that is your top priority, don't worry about losing weight and just lift heavy and eat enough to accommodate that goal. If losing fat is your top priority, then eat at maintenance which will allow you to get stronger but at a slower rate.

Main Goal would probably be a lower body fat % to start, any strength training onward from that would be to complement athletics, namely hockey.

GrapeApes

Changed my routine today only to discover my gym doesn't have a standing calf raise machine. Was walking around for a couple minutes looking like I brand new. So weird to go from practically spending 100% of my time at the power rack to venturing out into the wilderness.

Chocobro

Hmmm.... Way out of my depth of knowledge. Have you tried a sports medicine doctor?

Edit; The only thing that comes to mind for me is if you fell hard on your bum pre-puberty it could make the bones fuse and that can cause discomfort in thigns.

I haven't, I thought about it. I don't know if the PT at the university that deals with athletes will see me because I'm technically not supposed to be there as I graduated last month.
That's one thought, but odd timing for it to start hurting. I was thinking tight piriformis muscle and/or glutes because I don't see signs of pilonidal cysts. Over the past month, I've been sitting at home more often, which is why I'm leaning toward that possibility.. Before graduation, I would commute to university and do a lot of standing and moving.

Anyway overall, the talibone pain isn't as prominent after doing the piriformis and hip stretches more often, lets just hope it'll go away after a few weeks of this. I was doing the seated piriformis stretch in the morning and it was pretty difficult to do with my left leg because it seemed to hit a nerve or something. I overdid it and welp, fuck, I now have hamstring pain when I flex the hamstring. Painful to take off shoes with only my feet.

So I'm trying to gain a bit of weight with out getting fat but my problem is that I just do not eat enough during the day. Right now I'm trying to eat more/better than I normally would. I'm in the gym 5 days per week and two of those days I usually get a half hour run in.

I'm wondering if protein shakes would help me get what I think I might be missing in my diet. I've only been working out seriously again for about a month now, but I lifted in the past and have never used protein shakes.

Basically, I have a hard time gaining weight (fat or muscle weight) and I'm wondering if protein shakes will help me with my training. I feel much stronger already, but I'm curious if my results will eventually kind of plateau due to not eating enough. Should I be considering that already or should I keep doing what I'm doing and see how it goes for a while longer?

rage1973

So I'm trying to gain a bit of weight with out getting fat but my problem is that I just do not eat enough during the day. Right now I'm trying to eat more/better than I normally would. I'm in the gym 5 days per week and two of those days I usually get a half hour run in.

I'm wondering if protein shakes would help me get what I think I might be missing in my diet. I've only been working out seriously again for about a month now, but I lifted in the past and have never used protein shakes.

Basically, I have a hard time gaining weight (fat or muscle weight) and I'm wondering if protein shakes will help me with my training. I feel much stronger already, but I'm curious if my results will eventually kind of plateau due to not eating enough. Should I be considering that already or should I keep doing what I'm doing and see how it goes for a while longer?

If you are having trouble gaining weight, why are you running at all?
Don't bother doing any cardio or metabolic conditioning if your main goal is to gain mass.
Make sure to add plenty of healthy fat and you should be able to add in 500 calories daily pretty easily.

grumble

Alright, my bachelor party weekend in Memphis was a great success. I even some how managed a hungover lifting session Saturday morning at my hotel's gym. Sunday... well, Sunday I was far too fucked up (mostly tired actually since I barely slept, hardly any hangover symptoms) to be anywhere near a weight room.

Now, today my cut starts. ~1950 calories on rest days and ~2400 on lifting days with a 35/35/30 (% carbs/fat/protein) ratio on rest days and a 37/37/25 (% carbs/fat/protein) ratio on lifting days. A flat 150 g protein each day, so lifting days just result in me taking in more carbs/fat.

Should result in about 0.70 lbs of weight lost per week, >90% of that being fat. My body fat % should be close to 12% by my wedding/honeymoon in September. I've got some before pictures taken and I'll take an updated picture about once a month.

I admire the dedication but weight loss isn't that precise, nor is food measurement. Human bodies don't work that way; you may find that you go through periods where you keep the weight on or lose weight quickly, you may find that your caloric needs decrease as you diet and lose fat and your metabolism slows and your body needs less fuel. I would do two tweaks; increase your protein a bit to say 180g and cut the carbs a bit. Tends to work better.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Finally put my sprint sled to use and did some farmers walks too. Mosquitos annihilated me, went and bought some fucking mosquito repelent for next time. Did more than half the soccer field back and forth for each set which was between 100-150 meters.

60-65lbs sprints x 4
105 and 125 DB farmer walks x 4

Grip was destroyed after farmer walks and my wrists are bruised from the plates banging against them. Next time I'll use some straps since all I got was a grip workout or maybe I won't go as far and up the weight... :/

Zoe

Saw some awful form at the bench today. Guy was trying to bench 135, but it was so hard for him that the bar would practically drop down and bounce off his chest each time. The worst part was his buddy was encouraging him, grabbing the bar for the way up each time going "you got it, you got it".

To rub it in, the guy on the bench opposite these guys was working on 405 :lol
(he ended up failing on the second rep)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MzrsX7358

Damn you strong

Brutal day.

First off new squat 1 rep max. 455lbs

http://youtu.be/3joJPlwrM0s

Followed that with 365lbs x 4,4 and 3.

Then worked up to two sets of good mornings at 365lbs x 3. Followed up with weighted cable crunches and finished off with leg press working up to 700lbs x 3.

Smoked.

It's still a good lift. You will probably hit your goal soon. Good work man!

Heavy shit right there

I admire the dedication but weight loss isn't that precise, nor is food measurement. Human bodies don't work that way; you may find that you go through periods where you keep the weight on or lose weight quickly, you may find that your caloric needs decrease as you diet and lose fat and your metabolism slows and your body needs less fuel. I would do two tweaks; increase your protein a bit to say 180g and cut the carbs a bit. Tends to work better.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I've planned to reduce my caloric needs slightly as my weight decreases; I'm actually more or less following the IF calculator in the OP. I understand why you'd want me to increase my protein intake, but I'm not convinced that I need 1 g of protein per lbs of my current body weight (I'm around 180 lbs now), so I'm focusing more on 1 g of protein per lbs of lean body mass (this is a rough estimate of course, but 150 is close enough). I do tend to agree with the sentiment that lower carbs are probably beneficial for fat loss, but since I'm already at a caloric deficit I believe I will be OK. I'll monitor things and if after 3-4 weeks I'm not seeing progress I'll re-work my macros.

Beard gains selfie

znJYYIjl.jpg

Leeness

Managed to do it all today: eat well, work out, and watch Sony conference while working out :) Accomplished, now sleep.

Hey fitness brehs, how do your hands look after lifting for awhile?
Are you all gloves after 225 lb?

Im asking because my hands are looking rough on the palm side because of my death grip on DLs, Cleans, and Presses. I'm also starting to get sweaty palms and had the bar slip out of my hand once.

Should I move forward with chalk or with gloves?

Matugi

Beard gains selfie

znJYYIjl.jpg

You've got the arms and beard of a lumberjack and the hair that says you don't give a fuck about society's standards. AKA you'd be a fan favorite on a baseball team

Im asking because my hands are looking rough on the palm side because of my death grip on DLs, Cleans, and Presses. I'm also starting to get sweaty palms and had the bar slip out of my hand once.

Chalk. I have my girl lick my callouses

Let's see if we can spell it out in 5 posts:

C

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Haven't stopped thinking about Brolic's deadlift video since he uploaded it. Been playing it over and over in my head and pumping myself up for deadlift day today.

Is something wrong with me? Fucking hell, I'm gonna own that shit today.

Chalk. I have my girl lick my callouses

My lady loves rubbing her fingers all over my callouses and picking at them. Maybe strange, but I don't give a shit. :)

Irobot82

Haven't stopped thinking about Brolic's deadlift video since he uploaded it. Been playing it over and over in my head and pumping myself up for deadlift day today.

You aren't the only one bro. I'm doing 3 plates tomorrow for my DL and I've been watching him getting myself hyped up!

I did my first real refeed during this shred (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH A CHEAT DAY) I kept fats pretty low, no more than 35g, bumped carbs up to 400-500g and protein high as usual. Calories were about maintenance at no more than 2750. Loaded up on oatmeal, fruits like watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, bread and had 2 Quest bars. I was looking very full and not bloated. The surprising thing is that it actually works. I lost 3lbs this week and my strength was at "God Mode". I even broke a cable at my gym and went flying back against the wall. One of the trainers said "WTF are you eating".

Keeping cals pretty low for the remainder of the week. My strength isn't fading at all. I've been setting new PR on almost every lift too. Been doing lots of heavy volume on almost every lift.

Bottom line. Refeeds work. I am going to implement them about every 10 days or so.

MjFrancis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MzrsX7358
That's an awesome deadlift rage, congrats.

Though my first inclination is to curse those damn plates. I hated deadlifting for any number of reps beyond one with those when I was going to 24 Hour Fitness.

If you are having trouble gaining weight, why are you running at all?
Don't bother doing any cardio or metabolic conditioning if your main goal is to gain mass.
Make sure to add plenty of healthy fat and you should be able to add in 500 calories daily pretty easily.

Thanks, I'm going to cut the running then and see how that goes! I honestly just do it because I like to run and I didn't think it'd hurt much. We'll see how this goes without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom