• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Keep up the workouts bros!

GsmUtq0.jpg

Szu

Well, I'm back. And it happens to be on back day.

Not much progress, I'm not on the cut for several personal reasons at the moment. I'm just trying to maintain whatever I got right now. Not bad for old geezer like myself.

tDYL8OI.jpg

RYnRnNl.jpg

On the other side of the coin, my son is packing on the bulk. He's gained over 5 lbs in the last 5 weeks. He's almost double his weight. Check out these mini-guns.

gQJE31x.jpg

Like father, like son.

o9ZgJ6e.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Still looking great Szu.

Keep up the workouts bros!

No offense, but worry more about yourself in this regard. Less pictures more lifting. If I were you I'd not post a picture for a while. That way any progress you might make could be more discernible.

Dat grip strength!

To be honest I could pull more double over, I just don't. Chalk really does make a huge difference.

Kind of worried about this 600+ pull coming up as I'm still healing this torn callus.

Ashodin

No offense, but worry more about yourself in this regard. Less pictures more lifting. If I were you I'd not post a picture for a while. That way any progress you might make could be more discernible.
I find this pretty funny since you totally meant to offend me with the "If I were you" comment lol

And this is the fitness thread. I'll post updates as I feel more confident in my weight loss :)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I really, really doubt you need rack pulls. It just takes time. Rack pulls are something you add to hit a certain sticking point. I've don't rack pulls before and have never needed them.

Honestly from videos you've posted before, I'd say some form tweaks and speed work would do ya.

Two reallys. Alrighty. In Brolic I trust. I'll record a set of 80-85% 1RM next week and serve it up for some constructive criticism.

My DLs felt fantastic today. Really focused on driving through my heels and not dropping my hips too much prior to the start. That and keeping my upper back tight from the get go. It's a work in progress but I feel it's getting better.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Two reallys. Alrighty. In Brolic I trust. I'll record a set of 80-85% 1RM next week and serve it up for some constructive criticism.

My DLs felt fantastic today. Really focused on driving through my heels and not dropping my hips too much prior to the start. That and keeping my upper back tight from the get go. It's a work in progress but I feel it's getting better.

It's always a work in progress bud. My 600lb pull was with suboptimal form. Now I know better the funny thing is when I pull I keep my upper back loose and relax my shoulders.

I think if you went the route of that form video I posted you'd be hitting 600 in a year or less. The other thing is my DL really took off with band work. It's something to consider and easy to set up.

As for rackpulls. I can see their application, but for most people I think they simply turn into an ego display. Most people would benefit from simply working the actual movement IMO and using accessories to hammer weak spots.

And with all things it's not good to get in a hurry and want "that" number "now." It will only create obstacles.

Ashodin

So my workout routine went a lot better than last time because I applied better form to the machines after looking at some videos on proper technique. I felt like I got a better workout than usual on my muscles from them.

rage1973

It's always a work in progress bud. My 600lb pull was with suboptimal form. Now I know better the funny thing is when I pull I keep my upper back loose and relax my shoulders.

I think if you went the route of that form video I posted you'd be hitting 600 in a year or less. The other thing is my DL really took off with band work. It's something to consider and easy to set up.

As for rackpulls. I can see their application, but for most people I think they simply turn into an ego display. Most people would benefit from simply working the actual movement IMO and using accessories to hammer weak spots.

And with all things it's not good to get in a hurry and want "that" number "now." It will only create obstacles.

I would add that I prefer deficit pull over rack pull since most people's sticking point is getting that initial lift from the floor.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I would add that I prefer deficit pull over rack pull since most people's sticking point is getting that initial lift from the floor.

There is also this, however, band work will also work this. I've never even done deficit pulls. I used to do snatch grip Romanian deads, which can Be argued to me similar, but I found bands help develop that explosive speed to pretty much get you where you're going through the entire movement.

That said, this could change as I chase 700lbs and need a new accessory.

Cooter

Of course :)

Cooter: what are you planning to use as a DL program? Anything in particular?

No specific routine. Planning on working sets of 3 with 80-95% followed by 60-70% the following week focusing on bar speed and then back to heavy low rep work. This is on top of Romanian DLs and hip thrusts every week for assistance work. I'm going to look into band work also as Brolic pointed out.

Thanks for this. I'm in no rush, believe me. I've been at this long enough to know nothing comes quickly. Except the females when I start dem curls!!!

Reading this thread while lifting at the gym is hugely motivational and inspirational! I'm starting low and learning the forms but it's great reading all of your comments/tips!

Cooter

Reading this thread while lifting at the gym is hugely motivational and inspirational! I'm starting low and learning the forms but it's great reading all of your comments/tips!
Feel good knowing that you have already figured out more than most people I see who have spent years in the gym. We're here for you! Now go work.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

It's been here to help us all brother. If ya ever need pointed advice that's what we're here for.

No specific routine. Planning on working sets of 3 with 80-95% followed by 60-70% the following week focusing on bar speed and then back to heavy low rep work. This is on top of Romanian DLs and hip thrusts every week for assistance work. I'm going to look into band work also as Brolic pointed out.

Thanks for this. I'm in no rush, believe me. I've been at this long enough to know nothing comes quickly. Except the females when I start dem curls!!!

No problem bud.

Keep this mindset and work toward a steady stream of attainable goals and you're on the path to victory my friend.

Never let yourself get too discouraged either. Be realistic, you will fall off the wagon or hit setbacks. The key is to shrug it off and keep moving forward. Before you know it you'll be setting a new long term goal.

Best wishes, stay motivated, work hard!

Cudder

Of course that's a given.
I am saying that doing 5 sets of 3 reps would be more beneficial for strength than doing 3 sets of 5 reps and would allow you to lift heavier weights. Any lowering reps and still keeping your volume pretty high would be definitely more beneficial than doing only one set of 5 reps. He's definitely past the point of linear gains, so he should be using some proven periodized training rather than trying to squeeze out linear gains by dropping sets.

Or you could just drop down reps and add more sets.
Doing lots of singles, doubles and triples are better for strength gains than doing 5 reps in my opinion.

Thanks for this, I'll probably take your advice and do a 3x3 or something.

Ashodin

Keep this mindset and work toward a steady stream of attainable goals and you're on the path to victory my friend.

Never let yourself get too discouraged either. Be realistic, you will fall off the wagon or hit setbacks. The key is to shrug it off and keep moving forward. Before you know it you'll be setting a new long term goal.

Excellent advice!

Feel good knowing that you have already figured out more than most people I see who have spent years in the gym. We're here for you! Now go work.

It's been here to help us all brother. If ya ever need pointed advice that's what we're here for.

No problem bud.

Awesome man! Glad you can get some great info out of this thread!

Thank you fellas, I look up to you guys. If my questions are too vague or covered in the op, my bad - Darth covers some of what I'm curious about, which are two things: what are some of the common mistakes you guys see/have done, and what are some of the fundamentals that are crucial across the board?

My goal is having a really good foundation/fundamentals. I have been doing some lifting here and there but I'm really a beginner and my goal for the summer is to learn good forms via low weight, moderate/slow motions, and really engage in my reps.

For the longest time and I still am preoccupied with how good other ppl may look or appear to be strong...but it's time for me to learn and build myself!

So thanks in advance to you all, and happy to be part of this community

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thank you fellas, I look up to you guys. If my questions are too vague or covered in the op, my bad - Darth covers some of what I'm curious about, which are two things: what are some of the common mistakes you guys see/have done, and what are some of the fundamentals that are crucial across the board?

My goal is having a really good foundation/fundamentals. I have been doing some lifting here and there but I'm really a beginner and my goal for the summer is to learn good forms via low weight, moderate/slow motions, and really engage in my reps.

For the longest time and I still am preoccupied with how good other ppl may look or appear to be strong...but it's time for me to learn and build myself!

So thanks in advance to you all, and happy to be part of this community

Biggest mistake I made was no focus and thinking more is better. Often I used to do 10+ different exercises in the gym before I got "learnt." Now I might do 3-4 different movements at 3-4 sets each.

It's all about being smart and keeping yourself educated. The more you read (outside of here) the better. Also don't get discouraged when progress slows, it's natural and it's also when most people quit.

I've only been lifting for 5 years (seriously) and I'm stronger than a lot of people I know that have been lifting much, much longer. I attribute my gains to my focus on strength over all else and my ability to keep an open mind to training.

Windam

Scaley member
Man, I am fucking tiny. I'm 5'10 and hovering around 115lbs. I'd like to put on some weight so I'm not a stick anymore, but my appetite is usually non-existent. All I got at home are two 15-lb dumbbells, and I only know how to do bicep curls with them. :/ Any advice?

SeanR1221

Man, I am fucking tiny. I'm 5'10 and hovering around 115lbs. I'd like to put on some weight so I'm not a stick anymore, but my appetite is usually non-existent. All I got at home are two 15-lb dumbbells, and I only know how to do bicep curls with them. :/ Any advice?

Eat more and do some barbell training. The routine in the OP should do.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Where's the tear? Have you tried taking a nail file or something similar to it to rub it down some?

Yeah been working it but keep hitting fresh skin. It tore in half so it's been a bitch to deal with. Should be fine though. It's at the base if my ring/middle finger of my right hand

Leeness

Did some yoga tonight. Hopefully it will loosen up my super tight legs. Back to the kick boxing tomorrow, whether my legs are ready or not!

Guys help me determine how many excess calories I need in a week to build muscle at a realistic rate. Say my BMR is 2000 calories, if I workout 3 times a week intensely (I suppose strength training would be considered intense?) I need to add a multiplier representing this activity level and then also 300-500 calories daily for muscle?

How many dozens pounds of lean mass would that be adding to my body every week, realistically?

Cudder

Guys help me determine how many excess calories I need in a week to build muscle at a realistic rate. Say my BMR is 2000 calories, if I workout 3 times a week intensely (I suppose strength training would be considered intense?) I need to add a multiplier representing this activity level and then also 300-500 calories daily for muscle?

How many dozens pounds of lean mass would that be adding to my body every week, realistically?
"Dozens of pounds of lean mass added to your body every week?" Oh boy..

Biggest mistake I made was no focus and thinking more is better. Often I used to do 10+ different exercises in the gym before I got "learnt." Now I might do 3-4 different movements at 3-4 sets each.

It's all about being smart and keeping yourself educated. The more you read (outside of here) the better. Also don't get discouraged when progress slows, it's natural and it's also when most people quit.

I've only been lifting for 5 years (seriously) and I'm stronger than a lot of people I know that have been lifting much, much longer. I attribute my gains to my focus on strength over all else and my ability to keep an open mind to training.

Thank you sir I appreciate your feedback. It's really helpful, as I'm trying to figure out what works for me too in terms of movement and number of sets.

So just exactly when and how does progress slow? Not being able to increase the amount of weight lifted or reps?

I really need an open mind...there's a lot to learn and it's great to see some of you are still learning despite (I think) having lifted for yearsx

ILoveBish

I have to catch up to this thread, E3 hype got to me and i ended up missing the gym for 8 or 9 days strait lol.

I went tonight and its my 8th 1s week, and i hit 190lbs on overhead press, so all new record for me there. First time using chalk and damn if it wasn't so much nicer. After i finish this 1s week, i'm going to adjust diet to much lower kcals and not going to give a damn anymore about powerlifting records. I'm still going to do 5/3/1 and lift as heavy as i can, but i came to a realization that what i really want is to lose this belly fat, so i'm not going to eat more on gym days any more to make sure i get all my lifts in, ill take what i get just to get the fat off quicker now. Once i hit around 15% body fat, i am around 25+% or so now, then i'll go back to doing a recomp cycle. Till then i just want to lose the fat.

Icomp

Ok, so let's see. Any recommendations on what I should add/remove? I'm a beginner at 175cm and around 72kg

Routine:

Warmup/Workout - Kettlebell
2x10 - Slingshot
2x15 - Two arm swing
2x10 - Sumo high pull
2x10 - Kettlebell snatch/jerk
2x10 - Bottoms up clean

3x10 Bent over row
3x5 Deadlift
3x10 Barbell wrist curl

Depending on which day it is, I do Chest/Biceps/Triceps in addition to the ones mentioned above. (Mostly common exercises.)

Edit: I just want to get fit. :)

Something I still struggle with even today is self-defeat. Whenever I'm in the early stages of a program whether it's to bulk, cut down, increase cardiovascular health, etc, I usually fuck up somehow in the first month or so. Have a really bad cheat, skip a day or two at the gym, don't sleep enough. I get really down on myself about it. To the point where I look around at other people and immediately make note of how much further along they are than me. If I don't push on, those feelings will snowball and I will quit and fail entirely.

This is why I said it is important to not dwell on your failures and just keep toward your goals. If you start to worry about what you've done wrong, you'll never see what you've done right and it will all seem pointless.

It just changes your attitude about things. You're less focused on the stuff you do wrong or where you fall short, and more on all the goals you're meeting.

Petrie

Banned
I feel like I've gotten a big stagnant. I'm still rocking 5/3/1 for BB and progressing adequately, but nothing feels exciting or what have you. Need something to kick me in the ass and get excited about the gym again.

Matugi

I mean, realistically, just for toning a bit

lol

Let me guess, you'd like to put on some muscle but not be too bulky, like Brad Pitt in fight club?

to answer your quesetion, your calorie surplus/deficit is calculated from your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), not your BMR. Your TDEE is your BMR plus however many calories you burn from exercise. For example, my TDEE is around 2600 kcal, so on a bulk I'm eating around 3300-3500 kcal per day and on a cut around 1900.

EDIT: ah do I love the re-up of supplements. Feel like one of the hoppers from the Wire. Ordered a good cheap bottle of caffeine pills (current ones I'm using are mixed with EGCG and have 160mg per pill so it's hard to quantify, switching to 200mg pills), some more whey (cinnamon swirl flavor from Cellucor) and creatine (Allmax creapure micronized). Bodybuilding.com is second to none when it comes to standard shipping, too

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I need to reach out here and say without Veezy I wouldn't have undertaken this quest. Thanks for being real, Veezy, and helping people. You've helped me.

Everyone else has, but Veezy kicked it off for me and got me serious.

Let me guess, you'd like to put on some muscle but not be too bulky, like Brad Pitt in fight club?

to answer your quesetion, your calorie surplus/deficit is calculated from your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), not your BMR. Your TDEE is your BMR plus however many calories you burn from exercise. For example, my TDEE is around 2600 kcal, so on a bulk I'm eating around 3300-3500 kcal per day and on a cut around 1900.

Ah thanks. Ok, so my TDEE is around 2600 as well. Now, how did you choose an excess of 700-900 calories. I suppose there is a point where too many excess calories just become fat, is 700-900 your sweet spot for bulking?

Matugi

Ah thanks. Ok, so my TDEE is around 2600 as well. Now, how did you choose an excess of 700-900 calories. I suppose there is a point where too many excess calories just become fat, is 700-900 your sweet spot for bulking?

Yeah that's where I've found for me I can put on enough weight in a decent amount of time. I started first semester at a 500kcal excess and put on like one pound in six weeks because it was hard to factor all the walking/biking I had to do to go to class. Also, TDEE is just an estimate, mostly because BMR is an estimate. It does its best job as an index but it's really hard to quantify how much an individual burns just sitting there because each person's metabolism is slightly different. It's kinda like cutting is different for different people since you store fat in different places. When I cut it looks visible on my chest first, then my legs, then my back, and I don't get real visible abs until I'm down around 150.

I envy the people who get all this advice before they start to lift.

Even though I started lifting in high school for football I got no guidance from our shitty coaches and pretty much was a bench bro for years. So much time wasted.

Today: cabinet/countertop/baseboard demolition, paint
Tomorrow: Lay tile, do lower body
Friday: Grout
Saturday: Install cabinets, upper body

Gonna be a hell of a grind the next few days. Pray for Mojo.

It is funny how over a period of 24 hours how your perception of your body can change. Yesterday morning I felt big and lean while right now I feel flabby and flat.

The new job is interesting from a social aspect due to the "cliq-y" nature of things. They eat lunch and tend to head out to happy hours quite often. Being the new guy I do tend to come along just to fit in more so I won't isolate myself from the group. I've been trying to eat chicken salads and tend to stay away from drinking which has been fine so far. They give me shit but it is all in good fun.

I'm known as "Mr. Galaxy" in the office due to my size and always get asked to move things around haha. Last night was a big company happy hour with a majority of the company showing up. I held on strong with regards to drinks but feel off when it came to the food and just ate everything lol. It was on the company's dime so I said fuck it and just ordered more and more food. Salmon rolls, burgers, wings, etc. It was quite impressive actually haha. This Friday I think I need to break my no drinking rule since is it actually going to be a party for me and another coworker for making it past the 90 days and now being an official employee.

Highlight of the night is when I was walking back to the light rail and drunk food just stuck out his arm and give me a high five while saying "you are one big ass motherfucker". Couldn't help but smile.

Im excited!

Going to be attempting 250+ lbs in squats for reps. I've never been that high before!

This fitness thread has been inspiring me to stay hungry.

You guys and gals are all super cool.

Well, I'm back. And it happens to be on back day.

Not much progress, I'm not on the cut for several personal reasons at the moment. I'm just trying to maintain whatever I got right now. Not bad for old geezer like myself.

tDYL8OI.jpg

RYnRnNl.jpg

On the other side of the coin, my son is packing on the bulk. He's gained over 5 lbs in the last 5 weeks. He's almost double his weight. Check out these mini-guns.

gQJE31x.jpg

Like father, like son.

o9ZgJ6e.jpg

looking good brotherjackdood. Glad to see you bacj on the grind.

Something I still struggle with even today is self-defeat. Whenever I'm in the early stages of a program whether it's to bulk, cut down, increase cardiovascular health, etc, I usually fuck up somehow in the first month or so. Have a really bad cheat, skip a day or two at the gym, don't sleep enough. I get really down on myself about it. To the point where I look around at other people and immediately make note of how much further along they are than me. If I don't push on, those feelings will snowball and I will quit and fail entirely.

This is why I said it is important to not dwell on your failures and just keep toward your goals. If you start to worry about what you've done wrong, you'll never see what you've done right and it will all seem pointless.

It just changes your attitude about things. You're less focused on the stuff you do wrong or where you fall short, and more on all the goals you're meeting.

This is very well stated and is how I feel a lot of the times. When it comes to this, I can become easily discouraged when I don't see the results fast enough due to outside forces or due to myself. But it is all apart of the journey. I will most likely keep this cut up into October before taking a break and starting up my slow bulk. It is hard and stressful and annoying at times, but as the old cliche goes, "it is a marathon, not a sprint"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
haha i was thinking, "oh, FE must have eaten at a Guy Fieri establishment or something."

your office sounds cool. we clash a lot within our office between teams, and it's pretty high tension.

9XUPnF4.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
god that's gross huevo, possibly more gross than those quips I posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom