• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post HIIT - 2014 06 07

K1Si3qUl.jpg

iGzaxSBl.jpg

My collar bone was broken when I was born, so I believe that's the reason my traps will not develop.

Traps and back will make your look beastly!!

That's an awesome deadlift rage, congrats.

Though my first inclination is to curse those damn plates. I hated deadlifting for any number of reps beyond one with those when I was going to 24 Hour Fitness.
When I have to use those plates at one of my gyms, I stick 2.5 plates on either side. Drops into place pretty well, good enough to do dead stop reps. Have to reposition everything for the next set of course.

Szu

Post HIIT - 2014 06 07

K1Si3qUl.jpg

iGzaxSBl.jpg

My collar bone was broken when I was born, so I believe that's the reason my traps will not develop.

Injuries suck, but they're a part of our life. Another bump on the journey. However, you running your course pretty well.

Big traps just make the shoulders look narrow, Gironda said so

(I have no traps worth talking about)

Solid upper workout today, lack of energy from cutting is starting to kick in but knowing it's just one heavy set and then you move on keeps your mind in the game.

question: Who else really, really enjoys working out with their dad (and outlifting him)? I know it's so immature but I always feel like a kid when he comes to visit.

"Dad! Dad look how much I can bench! Daaaaaad! You're not looking! I benched more than you, did you see?!

Can we get a smoothie on the way home?"

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
After talking to a friend who I respect about getting my DL up I am now planning to incorporate rack pulls into my routine. More upper back work FTW!

Irobot82

Brolic do you remember approximately what weight you were lifting when you started using a mixed grip on your deadlifts?

Cudder

Decided to forgoe my 3x5 routine for OHP, bench, and squats in favour of 1x5 for my main working set in order to keep the weight going up. Did 1x5 @ 345 on squats today.

rage1973

Decided to forgoe my 3x5 routine for OHP, bench, and squats in favour of 1x5 for my main working set in order to keep the weight going up. Did 1x5 @ 345 on squats today.

Are you doing other sets?
I can't see how doing just one set of 5 rep is enough volume to get stronger.

Imm0rt4l

Post HIIT - 2014 06 07

http://i.imgur.com/K1Si3qUl.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/iGzaxSBl.jpg[IMG]

Traps and back will make your look beastly!![/QUOTE]

Mirin....

rage1973

After talking to a friend who I respect about getting my DL up I am now planning to incorporate rack pulls into my routine. More upper back work FTW!

Another good way to increase DL would be to back off on other lifts.
Decrease your intensity on squats and presses and put those on maintenance mode and that should speed up your DL progress. That should also prevent you from getting weaker on the other lifts.

I asked for help in the old OT but never followed up on it and I need some advice on my calorie intake to finish out my weight loss.

I've cut from 214lbs to 180lbs and with it I lost more strength than I had assumed but I was only eating 1600-1700 calories a day this whole time. I would like to continue my pursuit of 170lbs by August. I do a 5 day split each week for my routine. I try and get my protein to 120g+ daily. Am I eating to few calories and how many should I be eating? Add another 30+ grams of protein?

Thanks guys!

Another good way to increase DL would be to back off on other lifts.
Decrease your intensity on squats and presses and put those on maintenance mode and that should speed up your DL progress. That should also prevent you from getting weaker on the other lifts.

I think you mean volume, not intensity. You want to keep the same weight on the bar but not do as many reps/sets.

Matugi

Just gonna plug how much I love front squats since I saw it brought up in a thread on Reddit. Nothing improved hip mobility for me like front squats did. Probably my absolutely favorite overall lift.

Cudder

Are you doing other sets?
I can't see how doing just one set of 5 rep is enough volume to get stronger.

I've been getting stronger on my squats since September doing 3x5. I'm pretty much at my limit for 3 sets of 5. Hence why I want to humor myself and take it down to 1x5 so I can keep progressing in weight, seeing where I get.

I do warmup sets, and then more sets after the 1x5 at a lower weight afterwards.

Just gonna plug how much I love front squats since I saw it brought up in a thread on Reddit. Nothing improved hip mobility for me like front squats did. Probably my absolutely favorite overall lift.

I'm trying Front Squats instead of regular Squats next week when I start part two of my German Volume Training! I'm ready for the switch up!

Leeness

I do believe I done worked my legs to the bone. Sore sore sore. I think I'm going to take it easy today and just do some yoga and stretch them out. :( I think if I tried to do squats or lunges, I'd fall over :(

My hamstrings are so tight that I can't touch my toes (when normally I'm flexible enough to wrap my arms around my knees).

Oops.

Damn you, out of shape physical limitations.

I asked for help in the old OT but never followed up on it and I need some advice on my calorie intake to finish out my weight loss.

I've cut from 214lbs to 180lbs and with it I lost more strength than I had assumed but I was only eating 1600-1700 calories a day this whole time. I would like to continue my pursuit of 170lbs by August. I do a 5 day split each week for my routine. I try and get my protein to 120g+ daily. Am I eating to few calories and how many should I be eating? Add another 30+ grams of protein?

Thanks guys!

Why don't you continue to do whatever you were doing before?
Is the strength loss your concern?

Matugi

I'm trying Front Squats instead of regular Squats next week when I start part two of my German Volume Training! I'm ready for the switch up!

They'll suck at first but the more you do them the better they'll feel. The primary thing you have to be concerned with is keeping your back straight. Once you get a feel for them they're super easy to do since all you're doing is basically dropping straight down into a goblet squat. It's why they're so good for increasing hip mobility.

This article is simple but really breaks down all there is to it:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-front-squat-with-proper-technique/

The first time I did front squats I did 3x10 at 135lbs and could barely walk the next day. Now I regularly incorporate 3x5 at 225lbs into my squat days

me too, should be noted that I do it cross armed bodybuilder style. Maybe If I did it with straps it wouldn't be so bad.

I do them the other way and it was a little tough at first but your wrist mobility will increase as you do it more. Most important thing is elbows up. If you need straps, use em.

iddqd

Alright, I have to admit me being wrong, Cookies and Cream Quest bars are pretty great.
I still think all the other ones are le poop, but that one is worth the money.

And good pictures everybody, makes me want to cut some of my fat.
Any tips Mr jones? Just cut calories?

Why don't you continue to do whatever you were doing before?
Is the strength loss your concern?

Strength loss is most of my concern right now, I feel like I lost quite a bit. Has driven my motivation down some considering the time it took me to get stronger. My strength has dropped across the board. I would like to keep as much as I have now until this last 10lbs is off.

Alright, I have to admit me being wrong, Cookies and Cream Quest bars are pretty great.
I still think all the other ones are le poop, but that one is worth the money.

And good pictures everybody, makes me want to cut some of my fat.
Any tips Mr jones? Just cut calories?

Cutting:

Eating health first and foremost.

READ LABELS! Stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). I don't know the pros and cons of HFCS, but I know most products that use it are shitty, unhealthy, or fake healthy.

Leans meats; 99/1 or 93/7 ground meats!

High Intensity Interval Training or anything OTHER THAN running on a flat surface for a long period of time (i.e. Hills or Stairs) intergrated with a body weight exercise.

Veelk

Banned
I have a basic question about sets and reps. I have a friend who is a work out fanatic, so I usually just do what he does, except with lighter weight. For his work outs, he moves up in weight between each set, but he does less reps in between. So I do 12 reps, then 8, then 6, then 4 to max.

I just want to know if it would be better to do that, or maintain a constant number of reps per set

I have a basic question about sets and reps. I have a friend who is a work out fanatic, so I usually just do what he does, except with lighter weight. For his work outs, he moves up in weight between each set, but he does less reps in between. So I do 12 reps, then 8, then 6, then 4 to max.

I just want to know if it would be better to do that, or maintain a constant number of reps per set

Now there's a complicated subject... http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/re...ions-in-well-trained-men-research-review.html

Read the OP for some more simple advice on the subject.

Unrelated. Just tried the apple pie quest bar, but warmed a little in the microwave. Not bad at all.

Strength loss is most of my concern right now, I feel like I lost quite a bit. Has driven my motivation down some considering the time it took me to get stronger. My strength has dropped across the board. I would like to keep as much as I have now until this last 10lbs is off.

Track your workouts!

Get a Notepad and a Pen.
Write down your workout, before the gym.
As your complete your sets, write it down.
Best your last week results.
#GAINZZZ

The mental barrier you have will disappear. MOTIVATION RESTORED!

sphinx

the piano man
Cutting:

READ LABELS! Stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). I don't know the pros and cons of HFCS, but I know most products that use it are shitty, unhealthy, or fake healthy.

High Intensity Interval Training or anything OTHER THAN running on a flat surface for a long period of time (i.e. Hills or Stairs) intergrated with a body weight exercise.

:-(((

I am a disgrace to this thread.

EDIT: Team Jones, can you please remind me why that's bad? the running on a flat surface?

rage1973

I've been getting stronger on my squats since September doing 3x5. I'm pretty much at my limit for 3 sets of 5. Hence why I want to humor myself and take it down to 1x5 so I can keep progressing in weight, seeing where I get.

I do warmup sets, and then more sets after the 1x5 at a lower weight afterwards.

Or you could just drop down reps and add more sets.
Doing lots of singles, doubles and triples are better for strength gains than doing 5 reps in my opinion.

Or you could just drop down reps and add more sets.
Doing lots of singles, doubles and triples are better for strength gains than doing 5 reps in my opinion.

It really depends on your program. Lifting singles, doubles, and triples aren't going to be better than doing sets of 5 if your programming is shit.

rage1973

I think you mean volume, not intensity. You want to keep the same weight on the bar but not do as many reps/sets.

No I meant intensity.
Instead of doing 90% of your 1rm you can back down to 80% and still maintain strength.
If your main goal is to increase strength on a single lift then that lift should be the main focus of your workout.

rage1973

It really depends on your program. Lifting singles, doubles, and triples aren't going to be better than doing sets of 5 if your programming is shit.

Of course that's a given.
I am saying that doing 5 sets of 3 reps would be more beneficial for strength than doing 3 sets of 5 reps and would allow you to lift heavier weights. Any lowering reps and still keeping your volume pretty high would be definitely more beneficial than doing only one set of 5 reps. He's definitely past the point of linear gains, so he should be using some proven periodized training rather than trying to squeeze out linear gains by dropping sets.

:-(((

I am a disgrace to this thread.

EDIT: Team Jones, can you please remind me why that's bad? the running on a flat surface?

it's JUST my suggestion. I know my body well enough to know it doesn't get me cut-up nearly as quickly or efficiently as "unorthodox" runs. *Edit: I'm sure there is a study that supports my training style, but I don't have it because I don't need it, I know me. lol*

I bolded "I KNOW MY BODY" because I believe it a huge part of getting to your goals.

Get to KNOW YOUR BODY!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I really, really doubt you need rack pulls. It just takes time. Rack pulls are something you add to hit a certain sticking point. I've don't rack pulls before and have never needed them.

Honestly from videos you've posted before, I'd say some form tweaks and speed work would do ya.

Brolic do you remember approximately what weight you were lifting when you started using a mixed grip on your deadlifts?

455lbs.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Knowing your body is important. With time and perseverance you'll be able to listen better to what your body is telling you. One thing won't work for everyone, so it's important to listen to what your body is actually telling you.

I realize what I said above might not mean shit for some people but really, figuring out what to do when my body asks for it, clearly, was a big mental roadblock I had. Once I listened, things improved.

Of course that's a given.
I am saying that doing 5 sets of 3 reps would be more beneficial for strength than doing 3 sets of 5 reps and would allow you to lift heavier weights. Any lowering reps and still keeping your volume pretty high would be definitely more beneficial than doing only one set of 5 reps. He's definitely past the point of linear gains, so he should be using some proven periodized training rather than trying to squeeze out linear gains by dropping sets.

Of course :)

Cooter: what are you planning to use as a DL program? Anything in particular?

Hiz_95

Thanks guys!

Do you know your maintenance? If you want to cut decently fast ie roughly 750+ deficit a day I'd incorporate one refeed a week at maintenance cals when you start getting to roughly 15% and below. Also your protein intake is probably too low on a cut unless you're at like mid 20%+ which is likely why you lost so much strength. On a cut I'd aim for at least 1.1g of protein per lb of lbm (your bodyweight - your fat weight)

Sadetar

I went with Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Guest bars. Can't wait to have them! :p

I ordered huge loads of different things. Now I am feeling I need to hit the gym couple extra times just to be able to carry the package home when it comes. Not owning a car makes this kind of things harder. Today it took me ages to get all my balcony plants and soil home with a bike. Anybody else usually walk or bike to every damn place?

After 21 hours fasting I can't stop eating. Cant. Title still reads as quezadilla to me D"
I am having one of those days without even fasting...

I am constantly hungry no matter what and everything sounds sooo delicious.

Beard gains selfie
I still love that photo!

Post HIIT - 2014 06 07

K1Si3qUl.jpg

iGzaxSBl.jpg

You look none the less like a proper beast.

Way to go!

iddqd

Cutting:

Thanks man, just came back from a run.
I might just put some HIIT stuff behind my normal 5/3/1 routine and see where that goes!

Oddly enough, I've broken both of my collar bones and on the one I broke first I have pretty serious traps... and on the other, basically nothing (I can't even work out how to tense it properly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom