• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Szu

I get some bruises from DL every once in a while. Not as much blood any more. I do wear long socks to prevent that. Though, I kinda look like a schoolgirl with my long socks.

Edit: Dammit, top of page again.

KillerBEA

Today did not go as planned. Squats were harder than they should have been, but I made it through my minimum volume for the day. Could not run for shit, and I was feeling like dying on the elipitcal. Exhausted. Rest for 2 days now though :D

I get some bruises from DL every once in a while. Not as much blood any more. I do wear long socks to prevent that. Though, I kinda look like a schoolgirl with my long socks.

YOU DON'T GET TO SAY THIS WITHOUT POSTING PICS!

BumRush

Firmly in the middle of the page for the upper crust *sips Margarita, shouts at Butler for a refresh, lays back on pool float*

Wulfric

Hi FitGAF, as of yesterday I've finally graduated from basic training and got my phone back. Glad to see everyone has kept on trucking in my absence. :)

Things were awful at first. We got very little sleep and we were on our feet doing stuff all day. I started getting sick and having soreness in my shoulders and knees. Eventually I got over it and my strength started coming back.

Although I couldn't lift for the past 10 weeks, I did manage to improve my running ability and get a flatter stomach while I was gone. Now that I have access to a gym at AIT, I can't wait to pick up where I left off.

Considering I haven't done any lifts in two months but was still physically active, will I need to deload at all?

Firstly... well done. :)

Secondly... yeah, you should definitely start again with lighter weights. Wont take long to get back to it.

BumRush

Congrats Wulf and welcome back.

Yes, I would definitely recommend taking a step back. Not only did you not lift for 10 weeks but you lost weight, probably ate less calories, etc. Sorry to say, but at first, you aren't going to be as strong. Don't try to put up PRs the first time out.

BumRush

Interesting. Any shoes you recommend?

Adipowers are the shit, but I've never tried the Romaleos. I think I've seen Bchamba (and others) writing about lifting shoes a lot.

If any stores by you have them, definitely try them on.

The Chef

So i got a question about FItbit.
Recently got one for my wife and she is showing me some of her numbers. On some days it will say she burned close to 2500-3000 calories a day. She is a PCA so she walks like 6miles and works out. On top of her on eating around 1500 calories a day that basically implies she is at a 1,000-1,500 calorie deficit EVERY day. I find these numbers a little hard to believe. Wouldn't she just be emaciated after a few weeks? Are those fitbit numbers accurate?

Lanbeast

So i got a question about FItbit.
Recently got one for my wife and she is showing me some of her numbers. On some days it will say she burned close to 2500-3000 calories a day. She is a PCA so she walks like 6miles and works out. On top of her on eating around 1500 calories a day that basically implies she is at a 1,000-1,500 calorie deficit EVERY day. I find these numbers a little hard to believe. Wouldn't she just be emaciated after a few weeks? Are those fitbit numbers accurate?

My friend gets similar numbers. My guess is that FitBit automatically adds in your basal metabolic rate.

Actually it says it on their website:

How does Fitbit estimate how many calories I've burned?

Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the rate at which you burn calories at rest just to maintain vital body functions like breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity. Your BMR usually accounts for at least half of the calories you burn in a day and is estimated based on the physical data you entered when you set up your account: gender, age, height, and weight.

The calorie burn estimate that Fitbit provides takes into account your BMR, the activity recorded by your tracker, and any activities you log manually.

Your tracker's calorie count will reset each night at midnight and begin counting immediately thereafter. BMR is the reason your tracker starts the day with calories already burned—you've still burned calories even if you haven't gotten out of bed yet.

bchamba

Adipowers are the shit, but I've never tried the Romaleos. I think I've seen Bchamba (and others) writing about lifting shoes a lot.

If any stores by you have them, definitely try them on.

I like Reebok Crossfit Lite TRs for everything. Closer to the ground than Chucks and way more comfortable. If you have the ankle mobility to squat without a heeled shoe I would recommend them for everything. If not, then definitely at least for deadlifts.

Thanks to working out consistently I'm getting a good base of muscle going but I've still got a layer of fat pretty much everywhere I'd like to get rid of. I've lost about 30-35lbs in the past year, which is great, but can't help but feel my diet is really holding me back.

I'm cutting out most of the junk (no pop, no sweets, etc), but I just have no idea what I should be eating for meals. I keep reading about eating just vegetables and meats, avoiding most carbs, and so on, but I have no idea how to do that and still make actual meals that are good to eat.

Anybody want to help me out?

Thanks to working out consistently I'm getting a good base of muscle going but I've still got a layer of fat pretty much everywhere I'd like to get rid of. I've lost about 30-35lbs in the past year, which is great, but can't help but feel my diet is really holding me back.

I'm cutting out most of the junk (no pop, no sweets, etc), but I just have no idea what I should be eating for meals. I keep reading about eating just vegetables and meats, avoiding most carbs, and so on, but I have no idea how to do that and still make actual meals that are good to eat.

I think the best carbs are: brown rice, oats, quinoa, sweet potatoes, and black beans.

A meal consisting of a chicken breast and vegetables might net you like 100 calories.

Complex carbs are your friend.

skip

You can do a lot of tasty, low-calorie stuff with chicken, fish, and pork with the right spices/herbs/sauces. Just avoid the heavy cream-based sauces or rubs with sugar.

Spaghetti squash or spiralized zucchini can stand in for pasta, add tomato sauce and pork/turkey meatballs.

And yeah, add beans, sweet potato, brown rice, quinoa, etc.

Example: cut a sweet potato into wedges, season with salt & pepper, little bit of olive oil drizzled over them, roast in oven for a while = sweet potato fries.

Anyone try the Cavill bulk? Essentially eat whatever you want to get to 4,000 - 5,000 calories? And then the cut?

That's an extreme amount of calories but the dude gained, what, 40 pounds?
I also hear he's one of the only guys to do the bulk for a movie naturally.

Haha I think that was one of the gym complaints from that thread. Put it in your locker and then go to your locker whenever you need something.

I carry my bag with me, but keep it inconspicuous. My gym is safe, but certain item i like to keep near me.

Teggy

Anyone try the Cavill bulk? Essentially eat whatever you want to get to 4,000 - 5,000 calories? And then the cut?

You better lift A LOT while doing that or all you'll get is really fat.

The Chef

Its easy enough to get 4-5,000 when you eat garbage but he wasn't eating like that at all.

Sample 5,000 calorie Man of Steel diet:
Meal One
56 grams Protein powder
3 cups Milk (low fat)
2 cups Cereal, cold
2 cups Blueberries
6 tbsp Almonds, slivered

Meal Two
1/2 cup Cottage cheese (light / low fat)
56 grams Protein powder
2 cups Grapes
3 tbsp Barley
1 1/5 oz Sunflower seeds

Meal Three
4 1/2 oz Chicken breast
4 oz Cheese (low or non fat)
4 cups Vegetable soup
4 Crackers
3 whole Pita
12 Peanuts

Meal Four
49 grams Protein powder
1 1/2 cups Yogurt (plain and low fat)
1 1/2 tbsp Barley
3 tbsp Almonds, slivered
1 tsp Olive, Flax, Hemp or Salmon Oils
2 Tangerines

Meal Five
11 oz Beef (lean cuts)
4 cups Cauliflower
2 cups Rice
6 tbsp Almonds
1 1/3 cups Fruit juice

Meal Six
11 oz Turkey (breast, skinless)
2 cups Chickpeas
1 cup Mushrooms
1/4 cup Onions
1 head Lettuce
3 cups Cherry tomatoes
6 tbsp Almonds

Hi FitGAF, as of yesterday I've finally graduated from basic training and got my phone back. Glad to see everyone has kept on trucking in my absence. :)

Things were awful at first. We got very little sleep and we were on our feet doing stuff all day. I started getting sick and having soreness in my shoulders and knees. Eventually I got over it and my strength started coming back.

Although I couldn't lift for the past 10 weeks, I did manage to improve my running ability and get a flatter stomach while I was gone. Now that I have access to a gym at AIT, I can't wait to pick up where I left off.

Considering I haven't done any lifts in two months but was still physically active, will I need to deload at all?

Deloading or unloading; It's completely up to you. From your post, I recommend you unload at the very least your lower body, because consistent running is hard on your lower body. Overall, How does you body feel? Use that to determine whether to deload.

Congrats too! I was in the Marine Corps for 9 years and remember recruit training in Parris Island like it was yesterday. Getting PT'd on the quarter deck, while coughing up bloody mucus. ahhh, those were the days. Great camaraderie.

I was on 4500. This final week I'm on 5k. Been hitting my bw in lbs x 20 for calories for 50 weeks straight.

I hate food.

You better lift A LOT while doing that or all you'll get is really fat.

Not tooting my own horn but my fat gain was just right for a 50 week bulk, IMO. Maybe I could have kept off an extra or two but I embraced the bulk:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201302680&postcount=178

Start my cut Monday.

Does it have a heart rate monitor in it?

I've used the highest end polar heart rate monitors and they haven't even been close (I've seen it first hand doing a VO2max test at a university). There are just too many variables for those average calculations to come in anywhere near the mark for most people.

...and that's looking at short periods of exercise, not even considering how far off they can get of the entire course of a day.

SeanR1221

NEW QUEST ALERT!

hBoKXi7.jpg

They came today. Blueberry Muffin, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip and Rocky Road.

They don't even have packages or boxes yet. They're just in white boxes with white packages with a sticker of the nutrition on the back.

Here is my breakdown.

Blueberry muffin: The best of the bunch. Has the s'mores graham cracker chunks in it with dried blueberries. A good cakey, blue berry flavor.

Oatmeal: This is literally the cookie dough bar with oats in it as far as I can tell. Not bad, but really nothing special.

Rocky Road: I'm surprised I like this. The chocolate flavor isn't chalky like some of the old bars, and I like the nutty taste.

Teggy

NEW QUEST ALERT!

hBoKXi7.jpg

They came today. Blueberry Muffin, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip and Rocky Road.

They don't even have packages or boxes yet. They're just in white boxes with white packages with a sticker of the nutrition on the back.

Here is my breakdown.

Blueberry muffin: The best of the bunch. Has the s'mores graham cracker chunks in it with dried blueberries. A good cakey, blue berry flavor.

Oatmeal: This is literally the cookie dough bar with oats in it as far as I can tell. Not bad, but really nothing special.

Rocky Road: I'm surprised I like this. The chocolate flavor isn't chalky like some of the old bars, and I like the nutty taste.

I just got accepted into Quest Labs today and ordered a bunch of samples. Looking forward to trying them out.

Top Bottom