• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

bchamba

Yea every week the volume is going down while the intensity is going up so all the strength I built in my volume blocks is finally getting to be expressed. I'm loving this block periodization.

SeanR1221

Yea every week the volume is going down while the intensity is going up so all the strength I built in my volume blocks is finally getting to be expressed. I'm loving this block periodization.

Mind posting your routine? I love reading about other methods out there.

I got to use a prowler for the first time today. It's no joke! What a workout.

So, like, sprinting and heavy bag is hard after heavy leg day O.O

My legs feel like jello. I felt my cat judging me with every kick to the bag. She just had this blank stare like "mmmhmmmm... OK" :(

I'm getting signficantly different results from two different calorie/macro calculators. They're about the same in calories but big differences in macros.

The one in the OP says 155 protein, 113 carbs, 50 fat on rest days. 155 protein, 209 carbs, 93 fat on workout days.

Leangains calc says 117 protein, 68 carbs, 90 fat on rest days. 117 protein, 348 carbs, 52 fat on workout days.

Why would the leangains calc have more fat on rest days than on workout days, the exact opposite of the OP's calc?

I'm just using these as vague guidelines anyway, the macros are kind of out the window as a vegan -- no way in hell to get only 68 carbs in a day unless all I do is eat nuts, and then my fat would be through the roof. Basically the only way to come close to either calc's recommendations would be with tons of tofu and/or vegan protein powder.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm getting signficantly different results from two different calorie/macro calculators. They're about the same in calories but big differences in macros.

The one in the OP says 155 protein, 113 carbs, 50 fat on rest days. 155 protein, 209 carbs, 93 fat on workout days.

Leangains calc says 117 protein, 68 carbs, 90 fat on rest days. 117 protein, 348 carbs, 52 fat on workout days.

Why would the leangains calc have more fat on rest days than on workout days, the exact opposite of the OP's calc?

I'm just using these as vague guidelines anyway, the macros are kind of out the window as a vegan -- no way in hell to get only 68 carbs in a day unless all I do is eat nuts, and then my fat would be through the roof. Basically the only way to come close to either calc's recommendations would be with tons of tofu and/or vegan protein powder.

The lean gains one is more carb restricted except for training days. Your balancing that out with fat instead on off days.

The one in the OP is balanced for carb/fat on both days increasing/decreasing both depending on need.

bchamba

I can go into more detail if you'd like but a quick overview is I run 3 week blocks where the focus is on either hypertrophy/volume or strength.

It's similar to your standard DUP program where you have a light day, medium day and heavy day for your lifts except the rep scheme and intensity doesn't vary too much during each block. During a hypertrophy block I'll squat and bench 3x a week and deadlift 2x a week. An example week from squats would be:
1. Front squats 4x12 at 60%
2. High bar pause squats 4x8 at 70% plus amrap
3. High bar squats 5x10 at 65% plus amrap

Then each successive week during the block intensity would go up around 2.5%. I use the amraps to autoregulate where my strength is and make adjustments to my calculated max with it, so if let's say I get 15 reps with 70% I probably need to raise my calculated max for next week.

Strength blocks follow a similar scheme but the volume drops off so I only squat and bench 2x a week and deadlift once. Intensity goes up to between 75 and close to 90% for sets of 2 - 6. Eventually I'll run a peaking block to test my maxes where again intensity will go up to 90 - 95%+ and reps will drop to 1 - 3.

Also of note is I use more variation from my competition lifts the further I am from peaking, so during hypertrophy blocks I'll do front squats and use pauses and stuff but the closer I get to peaking the more low bar squatting I'll be doing. I took most of my programming from watching videos by Chad Wesley Smith and Garrett Blevins.

SeanR1221

I can go into more detail if you'd like but a quick overview is I run 3 week blocks where the focus is on either hypertrophy/volume or strength.

It's similar to your standard DUP program where you have a light day, medium day and heavy day for your lifts except the rep scheme and intensity doesn't vary too much during each block. During a hypertrophy block I'll squat and bench 3x a week and deadlift 2x a week. An example week from squats would be:
1. Front squats 4x12 at 60%
2. High bar pause squats 4x8 at 70% plus amrap
3. High bar squats 5x10 at 65% plus amrap

Then each successive week during the block intensity would go up around 2.5%. I use the amraps to autoregulate where my strength is and make adjustments to my calculated max with it, so if let's say I get 15 reps with 70% I probably need to raise my calculated max for next week.

Strength blocks follow a similar scheme but the volume drops off so I only squat and bench 2x a week and deadlift once. Intensity goes up to between 75 and close to 90% for sets of 2 - 6. Eventually I'll run a peaking block to test my maxes where again intensity will go up to 90 - 95%+ and reps will drop to 1 - 3.

Also of note is I use more variation from my competition lifts the further I am from peaking, so during hypertrophy blocks I'll do front squats and use pauses and stuff but the closer I get to peaking the more low bar squatting I'll be doing. I took most of my programming from watching videos by Chad Wesley Smith and Garrett Blevins.

Very cool thanks for the write up :)

I'm going to keep focusing on weight loss for now but I like having other programs saved to keep in mind for the future

Cheers buddy. Tomorrow I'm going to try and get a top 10 placing on one of my favourite trails... I just hope I've not taken too much out of myself tonight.

I didn't quite hit my target time (was wrecked after last night's workout and a lack of sleep)... but I did still get in the top 10. 9th... which will do me nicely (and gives me something to aim for too).

\o/

SeanR1221

Faith

Nice sets! Looked strong! Saw hip thrusts in your videos. How do you like them? I just added them into my training and am starting really light.
I have 2 different lower body workouts.

Deadlift day
4×8/5×5/6×3 Sumo Deadlifts (DUP)
4×5-8 Frontsquats
4×12-15 Leg Curls
4×12-15 Leg Extensions
4-6×12-20 Calf Raises

Squat day
4×8/5×5/6×3 Squats (DUP)
4×8-12 Hip Thrusts
4×12-15 Leg Extensions
4×12-15 Leg Curls
4-6×12-20 Calf Raises

Can anyone suggest some ready to drink recovery supplements I can buy in bulk on Amazon? I'm sure it'd be cheaper if I just bought the powder and milk separately but I just dont have the time in the mornings. I'd like to just leave these in the office fridge and then grab em after my workouts.

Does this Muscle Milk drink look good?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLVZ4FE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Currently I'm not taking anything.

Why don't you leave milk in the office fridge and leave a tub of protein powder in your work area?

Laziness lol. But if its a lot cheaper then I'll do it. Any recommendations? So far I'm doing mostly cardio and will ramp up weight training in the coming weeks.

Can anyone suggest some ready to drink recovery supplements I can buy in bulk on Amazon? I'm sure it'd be cheaper if I just bought the powder and milk separately but I just dont have the time in the mornings. I'd like to just leave these in the office fridge and then grab em after my workouts.

Does this Muscle Milk drink look good?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLVZ4FE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Currently I'm not taking anything.

You don't even need milk, you can mix a lot of whey powders with water and they taste great that way.

KillerBEA

Was not able to OHP 110 today, ah well. Will keep progressing in other ways with the lift til I attempt to 'max out' again.

Szu

As a man, can you get an ass that's too big? Everyone is already calling me Mr. Booty.

That's just crazy talk, there's no such thing.

A big booty should be like the Hulk. There's no upper limit to its immense power.

Been toying with my glucose the past few weeks. I used to keep close to 100 at all times but decided to lower that window to 80-90. Need to be careful at work from dropping too low but I've got the hang of micromanaging this pump. So far so good. Post workout been sitting at 80-85, down from 100. Average post-meal, even with a lot of carbs is about 110-120. No issues so far. Going to watch a bit more closely now that I added cardio but yesterday was right on point.

slightly hurt my back doing front squats. reminder to myself. don't record myself. two. stop trying to adjust when youre doing it right already. three. remember to not release breath.

i accidentally slightly hyper extended my back and i heard something.

fortunately it's nothing serious but i'm not going to try to attempt anything that will put a strain on my back.

As a man, can you get an ass that's too big? Everyone is already calling me Mr. Booty.

never bad for good back support and cushion when youre sitting down!

Probably, but speaking as a man with no ass...

:(

#Teamnobutt.

Faith

213g1s0i.png

Thanks guys. I guess I can keep growing that ass xD

mdsfx

Lol these race pics are always the worst. I haven't once purchased them because there’s never a time in a race when you look ok. Here's me making my "it-hurts-so-f*cking-bad" face as I was crossing the finish at a 4-minute pace. Felt like my little hamstrings were going to rip off the bone :[

Holy fuck, are you Kim Kardashian?

looks like Jlo but up and roundre

Lol these race pics are always the worst. I haven't once purchased them because there’s never a time in a race when you look ok. Here's me making my "it-hurts-so-f*cking-bad" face as I was crossing the finish at a 4-minute pace. Felt like my little hamstrings were going to rip off the bone :[

it's not bad actually.unless you count the girl in the back looking at you funny.
and congrats on the run!

I'm sure it differs for everyone but probably sub-15%

Edit: it also has a decent amount to do with genetics, hydration levels, etc.
This. Some people have them even nearing 20%. Other's it doesn't show unless they're sub 10%. They also come in different shapes and sizes that is 100% genetics.

I'm one of those people that does not have epic arm veins. My bicep vein doesn't show unless I'm crazy lean and even then it's extremely thin. About the width of a couple toothpicks. Hate it, lol. My shoulder/pec/leg vascularity is off the charts though.

JCX

I'm sure it differs for everyone but probably sub-15%

Edit: it also has a decent amount to do with genetics, hydration levels, etc.

This. Some people have them even nearing 20%. Other's it doesn't show unless they're sub 10%. They also come in different shapes and sizes that is 100% genetics.

I'm one of those people that does not have epic arm veins. My bicep vein doesn't show unless I'm crazy lean and even then it's extremely thin. About the width of a couple toothpicks. Hate it, lol. My shoulder/pec/leg vascularity is off the charts though.

Ah thanks, that makes sense. I noticed faint veins on my forearms recently, but they are barely visible and go away in a few hours. Guess I'll just need to stick to this diet.

Ugh... lost focus about half way through my session and just couldn't get it back. Total mess.

On the subject, what would you do in that situation? Assuming your form was still ok, would you just carry on and do what you could... or would you call it and come back to fight another day?

Faith

Ugh... lost focus about half way through my session and just couldn't get it back. Total mess.

On the subject, what would you do in that situation? Assuming your form was still ok, would you just carry on and do what you could... or would you call it and come back to fight another day?
Usually I cut it down if I did everything what was important that day.

BumRush

Call it. Nothing like hating fitness. There are days when I set to do a full workout and - once I realize I'm not feeling it - I'll just bang out the 1-2 compounds i NEEDED to do and bounce. Next day I always come back with a little something to prove (to myself)

It's pretty clear to me now that I was losing strength for about a month because I wasn't getting enough protein. Started supplementing again and I'm back to (slowly) gaining. Real glad I figured that out. Even though my focus is on losing weight, the strength losses were shiity to see every week.

Decided that I'm going to make the move to doing ass to grass squats all the time. Was convinced by a trainer in the gym this evening, he was working in with me on squats and starated preaching the glorious word of deep squats. After a small bit of falling on my ass, I am a believer. Gonna have to take 40kg off my squat, but screw it, shake things up a bit.

frontieruk

Decided that I'm going to make the move to doing ass to grass squats all the time. Was convinced by a trainer in the gym this evening, he was working in with me on squats and starated preaching the glorious word of deep squats. After a small bit of falling on my ass, I am a believer. Gonna have to take 40kg off my squat, but screw it, shake things up a bit.

My mate would love to lose 40kg of his squats it'd leave him doing body weight squats :)

Top Bottom