• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness Wearable |OT| A place for your Fitbit, Garmin, Jawbone, and many many more

Asgaro

I love this Garmin Forerunner 235. Today got around to experimenting a bit with the most popular watch faces on the Connect IQ platform.

Really liking these:
(Yes, I'm a stats whore)

MnWjI80.jpg

I've been considering a fitness or smart watch lately but I'm having trouble finding the right fit for my needs.

Really want:

HR monitor
Sleep tracking
Step counter
Message notification that works with texts as well as social apps like FB messenger, Instagram, etc..
Battery life

I'm not really looking for anything with a ton of sports/activity tracking or excessive waterproofing and can't break the bank (sub $200)

Afaik the best fit WOULD have been the Pebble Time 2 that was set to release commercially next year but now that's out the window.

Any ideas or will I just have to wait to see if Fitbit incorporates the right aspects of Pebble into future models to fit my tastes?

gaiages

Banned
I've been considering a fitness or smart watch lately but I'm having trouble finding the right fit for my needs.

Really want:

HR monitor
Sleep tracking
Step counter
Message notification that works with texts as well as social apps like FB messenger, Instagram, etc..
Battery life

I'm not really looking for anything with a ton of sports/activity tracking or excessive waterproofing and can't break the bank (sub $200)

Afaik the best fit WOULD have been the Pebble Time 2 that was set to release commercially next year but now that's out the window.

Any ideas or will I just have to wait to see if Fitbit incorporates the right aspects of Pebble into future models to fit my tastes?

Hmm... Well, some of the current model Fitbits have all those features already (Like the Blaze and Charge and maybe a few others have the HR monitor), except that the notification are only for phone, text, and calendar. I sorta wish I could get it to show me all notifications, but it's not allowed. :( I guess people also complain about the battery life, but I think it's fine.

Hmm... Well, some of the current model Fitbits have all those features already (Like the Blaze and Charge and maybe a few others have the HR monitor), except that the notification are only for phone, text, and calendar. I sorta wish I could get it to show me all notifications, but it's not allowed. :( I guess people also complain about the battery life, but I think it's fine.

Yeah I looked at the Blaze and I know someone with the Charge but the lack of app notifications made me hold off considering their respective prices. The person I know with the Charge also said even the text notifications can be spotty. I'm willing to chalk that up to hers specifically being finicky but it doesn't make me super confident. I guess I'll have to grab one of those or wait another year.

Thanks for the input! Appreciate it.

Really want:

HR monitor
Sleep tracking
Step counter
Battery life

I have the Garmin Vivoactive HR, and it has all those things that you mentioned you wanted, plus it's waterproof up to either 50 or 100m (I can't remember which). It also has built in GPS. It's exactly $200 on Amazon right now and it has an 8 day battery life (which I can verify). I highly recommend it!

I have the Garmin Vivoactive HR, and it has all those things that you mentioned you wanted, plus it's waterproof up to either 50 or 100m (I can't remember which). It also has built in GPS. It's exactly $200 on Amazon right now and it has an 8 day battery life (which I can verify). I highly recommend it!

I'll look into that. Thanks!

Futureman

My GF wants a Fit Bit Alta for XMas. Anything I need to know or just buy it? There isn't a new version just around the corner?

My GF wants a Fit Bit Alta for XMas. Anything I need to know or just buy it? There isn't a new version just around the corner?

Got a Costco membership? If so, buy it there and if a new one comes around soon, you can return that one for your money back and get the new one.

Sora_N

I had to turn in my MS Band 2 since it wouldn't stay turned on. It was sometimes uncomfortable and ugly but I really enjoyed using it. Took to MS store but they said they can't replace it or repair it. I bought the warranty so they gave me store credit back.

I ended up buying a Vivosmart HR since it was on sale at Best Buy. I will try it out for a week and see. The HR+ has GPS but I barely used it on my band since I don't run or bike. Would it be feasible to just use strava as gps or consider spending more for something with a gps lll.

I liked the band since it had everything in it and I got it on sale at the time.

LogicStep

What's a good tracker that will be good for steps, calories, weight lifting, and waterproof and maybe track swimming activity? The ones I see that are waterproof don't make a lot of mention on the other aspects.

Fox318

What's a good tracker that will be good for steps, calories, weight lifting, and waterproof and maybe track swimming activity? The ones I see that are waterproof don't make a lot of mention on the other aspects.

I'd take a look at the Garmin line of fitness trackers. I know for a fact the vívoactive is water proof.

LogicStep

I'd take a look at the Garmin line of fitness trackers. I know for a fact the vívoactive is water proof.
So I've been looking into a couple of these and have narrowed it down to a couple of choices. However I'd like to know what is the usefulness of HR? Does it give a more accurate reading of calories burned? Why should I care about HR?

I'm considering:

Fitbit Blaze because it looks super nice.

Fitbit Flex 2 because it will work for swimming.

Garmin Vivoactive both versions (non HR and HR) because they seem to be more accurate and track more stuff and will work for swimming.

Those are the ones I like the most, I'm just not sure which one to get. All I'll be doing is powerlifting workouts, walking, and some swimming in the gym pool so I'd like something that would work well for that. I know that strength training and weight lifting makes these trackers go wonky.

I also, from what I've seen in videos, like the Fitbit app more, looks nice and simple. Don't know if it works with fitness pal but apparently the Garmin app does.

Last thing to consider is that I get a discount on Fitbit through my job but I'm not sure how good of a discount it is.

Anyone care to point out some stuff that might help me make a decision?

Oppo

I got a Blaze in December and I really like it. The 3rd party notifications and music control are things I use all the time.

Connected GPS works well for me because there's no way I'm running or hiking without my phone and music/podcasts.

The Fitbit software is very, very good. So good that I don't mind that it's walled off from HealthKit. 'cause I do everything in Fitbit. only things I might do outside of it are MyFitnessPal and Strava, and those talk to Fitbit anyways.

Waterproof would be nice, but swimming laps are the easiest thing to log manually.

I am looking forward to bike season with this thing, as I have a fancy e-bike, so I never really know how hard I'm working – heartrate monitoring is great for this sort of thing. And yeah it does calculate your base metabolic rate throughout the day and adds the extra calories burned from exercise, and knows pretty well from heart rate zones. The pervasive HR is really fascinating to have and the Blaze seems to keep very good track, better than I expected.

BTW, all the trackers go wonky when lifting, it's true, but you can mitigate a lot of it by wearing the band high on your arm. it looks a bit weird but it works better that way when flexing a lot.

I've read good things about the Vivoactive but I've had bad luck with multiple Garmin products in the past so they left a bad taste in my mouth.

LogicStep

I got a Blaze in December and I really like it. The 3rd party notifications and music control are things I use all the time.

Connected GPS works well for me because there's no way I'm running or hiking without my phone and music/podcasts.

The Fitbit software is very, very good. So good that I don't mind that it's walled off from HealthKit. 'cause I do everything in Fitbit. only things I might do outside of it are MyFitnessPal and Strava, and those talk to Fitbit anyways.

Waterproof would be nice, but swimming laps are the easiest thing to log manually.

I am looking forward to bike season with this thing, as I have a fancy e-bike, so I never really know how hard I'm working – heartrate monitoring is great for this sort of thing. And yeah it does calculate your base metabolic rate throughout the day and adds the extra calories burned from exercise, and knows pretty well from heart rate zones. The pervasive HR is really fascinating to have and the Blaze seems to keep very good track, better than I expected.

BTW, all the trackers go wonky when lifting, it's true, but you can mitigate a lot of it by wearing the band high on your arm. it looks a bit weird but it works better that way when flexing a lot.

I've read good things about the Vivoactive but I've had bad luck with multiple Garmin products in the past so they left a bad taste in my mouth.
I think you sold me on the blaze. I figured I could log swimming laps manually, I just wasn't sure how easy or hard it was and the accuracy of it.

Well, I ordered mine last night, will get it mid week. Got the gunmetal one. The discount was $38. Not bad.

NandoGip

Can anyone recommend a good low price fitness wearable? Or point me in the right direction to where I can find comparisons

MrDaravon

Can anyone recommend a good low price fitness wearable? Or point me in the right direction to where I can find comparisons

Kinda hate to bump this but don't want to make a new thread, but I'm looking for the same thing as well. Right now I'm only really looking for something as a pedometer, but being able to access the number of steps and reset it on the band itself (as opposed to syncing it) as well as having a clock/time function would be very appreciated. Not really looking for anything else right now in terms of heartrate, sleep monitoring etc. I really like how the Fitbit Charge 2 looks for example (I like the slightly wider band) but that's significantly more than I need right at the moment plus I'm on a budget.

Looking on Amazon there is a ridiculous amount of cheap bands/pedometers at anywhere from the $10-$40+ range but I have no idea what I'm looking at. At that price point (sub $50 let's say) should I just get something cheap with the best reviews I can find and hope for the best since it's no big loss if it sucks since it was so cheap? Wearing a waist pedometer isn't really an option with my work, need something I can wear on the wrist. Thinking I'll just bit on something in the $20 range that is the best reviewed I can find but I wasn't sure if there's a particularly known brand or cheap but simpler fibit-esque option out there?

NandoGip

Kinda hate to bump this but don't want to make a new thread, but I'm looking for the same thing as well. Right now I'm only really looking for something as a pedometer, but being able to access the number of steps and reset it on the band itself (as opposed to syncing it) as well as having a clock/time function would be very appreciated. Not really looking for anything else right now in terms of heartrate, sleep monitoring etc. I really like how the Fitbit Charge 2 looks for example (I like the slightly wider band) but that's significantly more than I need right at the moment plus I'm on a budget.

Looking on Amazon there is a ridiculous amount of cheap bands/pedometers at anywhere from the $10-$40+ range but I have no idea what I'm looking at. At that price point (sub $50 let's say) should I just get something cheap with the best reviews I can find and hope for the best since it's no big loss if it sucks since it was so cheap? Wearing a waist pedometer isn't really an option with my work, need something I can wear on the wrist. Thinking I'll just bit on something in the $20 range that is the best reviewed I can find but I wasn't sure if there's a particularly known brand or cheap but simpler fibit-esque option out there?

Mi Band 2. Get it for under $40 with expedited shipping off of gearbest.com

-Pedometer
-Heartrate monitor
-Sleep tracking
-Configurable notifications
-Alarm clock
-Week-ish long battery
-Not ugly/big
-Other stuff

It's pretty much a full-featured fitness wearable for 1/3 of the cost. I've had it for like 2 months and I'm very happy. I did a lot of research, it's pretty much comparable to all of the $100~ wearables but for like $30.

It's not as well-known because they aren't officially sold in the US, only through resellers. I highly recommend gearbest, Other sites were a lil too sketchy for me I didn't want to risk buying a knock off. Also check out /r/miband on reddit

I'm quite fond of my MiBand 2 but I'm not sure if you can reset the pedometer on the device itself.

I use it primarily as a watch/pager for app notifications (texts, calls, snapchat, google rewards etc) so I'm not sure of all the tips and tricks but I do know you need to mess with your paired phone in order to change most of the functionality.

MrDaravon

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. My boss has a blue fitbit Charge (not sure which one) that she's probably going to give me at a great price but if that falls through or I don't like it for some reason I am definitely getting that Mi Band 2. Marketplace sellers right now on Walmart.com have it for sub-$20 which is ridiculous. Thanks!

NandoGip

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. My boss has a blue fitbit Charge (not sure which one) that she's probably going to give me at a great price but if that falls through or I don't like it for some reason I am definitely getting that Mi Band 2. Marketplace sellers right now on Walmart.com have it for sub-$20 which is ridiculous. Thanks!

Be careful. There are knock offs. Personally, I can vouch for gearbest. I'd ask on the mi band subreddit for some opinions if you purchase it elsewhere.

Futureman

I have to wear a Fitbit Blaze for a research study I'm in. I like it more than I thought I would BUT I think it's pretty ugly.

I really hope the Pebble acquisition leads to nicer looking version of the Blaze coming soon.

Fox318

I have to wear a Fitbit Blaze for a research study I'm in. I like it more than I thought I would BUT I think it's pretty ugly.

I really hope the Pebble acquisition leads to nicer looking version of the Blaze coming soon.

Did you look at getting a metal band?

liquidtmd

Banned
I've just bought a Mi Band 2. It's charging and I haven't switched it on yet.

I'm reading problems that the latest update of Mi Fit in April has got a lot of people moaning about it breaking synch / heartrate functions etc all. Could someone please advise the best

- App version to install of Mi Fit on my Android

- Whether I actually have to / it's recommended update the firmware on the watch.

Agreed, it's why I went with the Charge 2 instead. It looks pretty good with a milanese loop:

s-l300.jpg

I can recommend these straps over the regular ones - because it's magnet based, you can easily tighten it before a run/workout (better heart zone detection during rigorous movement) and loosen it again for regular wear.

Jag

Fitbit is having a sale now. I picked up the Flex for $60 on Amazon for my wife's birthday. I hope she doesn't like it so i can use it.

DonShula

Subscribed to read through later. I have a Blaze but am always looking. I've lost 60lbs and kept it off using Fitbit products but am curious as to what else is out there.

Lgndryhr

Looking into getting one recently. Been researching last few weeks. Got my girlfriend a polar m200 earlier this year. She loves it because it does exactly what she wanted out of one. I'm torn though on which to get myself. I'm looking at the Garmin vivoactive HR, Samsung gear fit 2, Garmin vivosmart hr +, or Garmin vivosmart 3. Want something that can track steps, calories, heart rate, workout, sleeping, and can get a little wet. I know the Samsung isn't meant to get wet but I like some aspects of it plus could possibly go well with my Samsung phone. I am leaning towards the vivoactive HR.

ty_hot

Got a Fitbit Surge today from eBay, 80e sealed (its a replacement unit though, I dont care about the package). My gf has a Charge HR (the first one) so she will finally have someone to 'compete'. I believe they will update the Surge this year but for this price (normally its 160-200) I am fine. Let's see if I will start moving more now that I will have it.

In my gf case in the first few months she started to exercise more, but then she just wouldnt care much about it...

Rmagnus

Banned
Well my pebble 2 just died... So any recommendations for a watch just for running? No intention to swim or cycle, currently doing half marathons hoping to do an ultra some day.

Fox318

Well my pebble 2 just died... So any recommendations for a watch just for running? No intention to swim or cycle, currently doing half marathons hoping to do an ultra some day.

Do you need GPS, heart rate tracking, or just a step counter?

DonShula

About to give up on my Blaze. It seems to do heart rate fine, but it's pretty far off with steps. It ignores about 30 out of every 100 when walking. Fitbit either doesn't care to fix the problem or they can't. It's fine with hands in pockets or running, but it just can't accurately handle regular, everyday walking.

Curious whether the Charge 2 is any better. I like the Fitbit app and have used it to lose a lot of weight (original Charge) and maintain weight (Blaze), but it's frustrating that the step count is routinely wrong.

I have several Blaze bands and don't want to give up on it, but still.

Just picked up a fenix 5. Haven't really had a ton of time to mess with it yet. Anyone have any tips or recommendations for it? I do a lot of hiking and some lifting.

ty_hot

My Surge arrived (its a replacement device, got it sealed super cheap on ebay). Went for my first ever run.

GPS was very quick, maybe 30 secs to find the signal? Now I know that I can just search for it and only after start the run, so those few seconds of waiting will be gone for the next time. The device doest feel or look as big as I though it would. The screen is great even in daylight.

I ran 3km in 21 mins, 7min/km near my house. Luckly I have connected my fitibit app to Strava which I only knew 'was a good app', but had no idea what it did. Turns out it comapres segments of my run (you guys probably know it for a long time, but it is big news for me haha) with other people. Tomorrow I am going to run around a park near my place, which seems to be a popular place and check how I do comparing with other people. Later today I will bike to meet my gf (lots of red lights on the way though).

My gf also has a Fitibt (Charge HR), so we will finally 'compare' our stats. I am excited, lets see how long this excitement lasts. My vacation just started so I hope I plan on running everyday for this month and then I will just be used to it and keep going. I used to be 80kg 5 years ago, started to get fatter slowly but consistently up to 98, then I got back to 83 and now I am at 88kg again. I'd love to be 80 or even 78 again. Lets see how it goes.

I have a secret goal of running 15km someday. Does anyone believe its possible to do it till the 31th of December? :D

I got a Fitbit Charge 2 a couple weeks ago and it's like a revelation. I'm a ton more active, my diet's back on track, whole nine yards. Love it to pieces.

DonShula

I got a Fitbit Charge 2 a couple weeks ago and it's like a revelation. I'm a ton more active, my diet's back on track, whole nine yards. Love it to pieces.

Does it actually count your steps when you walk like a normal person? I was considering one to replace my Blaze, which I've found is only really accurate when my wrist is above my waist.

Does it actually count your steps when you walk like a normal person? I was considering one to replace my Blaze, which I've found is only really accurate when my wrist is above my waist.

It certainly seems to. Not totally perfect or anything, but as long as you're walking and moving your arms even a little it picks it up.

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger and getting one of these for a while.

I've yet to see a Fitbit with heart rate that is waterproof though, but I have seen this: Polar A370

I'm not into running, I prefer to go to the gym and use the rowing machine, resistance machines and the pool. Anyone here have any experience with one of these trackers or know of any decent alternatives?

Sheppard

Hello amazing Fitness Wearable Gaf. So I have also been looking to pull the trigger on one of these and I was wondering what would be the best for a Pixel XL? I am really looking for the step counter and GPS for Google Fit. I have heard you can leave your phone at home and the watch will still pick up calls and text messages?

Thank you for your help GAF!

Top Bottom