• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness Wearable |OT| A place for your Fitbit, Garmin, Jawbone, and many many more

Pedrito

I have a secret goal of running 15km someday. Does anyone believe its possible to do it till the 31th of December? :D

Should be possible if you keep at it. Try adding 2km every months.
I wouldn't run daily at the beginning though. It's tough on the body.

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger and getting one of these for a while.

I've yet to see a Fitbit with heart rate that is waterproof though, but I have seen this: Polar A370

I'm not into running, I prefer to go to the gym and use the rowing machine, resistance machines and the pool. Anyone here have any experience with one of these trackers or know of any decent alternatives?

The wrist-based HR monitors have a reputation of not working all that well for weight training and rowing. It has something to do with the position of the wrist. If you want precise data, you should get a chess strap.

Rmagnus

Banned
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger and getting one of these for a while.

I've yet to see a Fitbit with heart rate that is waterproof though, but I have seen this: Polar A370

I'm not into running, I prefer to go to the gym and use the rowing machine, resistance machines and the pool. Anyone here have any experience with one of these trackers or know of any decent alternatives?

Try the SUUNTO SPARTAN SPORT WRIST HR, I read good things about it regarding the heart rate tracking for lifting etc

ITSMILNER

Looking at picking up a Fitbit charge 2, never used a wearable before but wanted something that can track my cardio but also sleep, steps etc...

Seems like a good device to go with?

ITSMILNER

Anyone?

Looking at picking up a Fitbit charge 2, never used a wearable before but wanted something that can track my cardio but also sleep, steps etc...

Paganmoon

The charge 2 should do pretty much what you asked for, can also give some notifications from your phone, and with the fitbit app on the phone can use GPS tracking as well for runs/walks.

If cardio, sleep, step and floor tracking is your criteria, I think it's a good buy. I really liked the all day HR tracking on the Charge and Blaze I had, I've currently got the Samsung Gear S3, and while a good smartwatch, the HR sensor is way too small so it's very iffy about tracking, and the health app is sort of lacking.

Fox318

Charge 2 would-be a good fit.

Take a look at the Garmin line as fitbit is in a bit of a lull right now.

DonShula

Charge 2 would-be a good fit.

Take a look at the Garmin line as fitbit is in a bit of a lull right now.

Curious to see what if anything comes of Fitbit's acquisition of Pebble. I'd like to think we'd see some pretty cool stuff, but I'm kinda down on Fitbit right now thanks to the Blaze so I may not wait forever.

Fox318

Curious to see what if anything comes of Fitbit's acquisition of Pebble. I'd like to think we'd see some pretty cool stuff, but I'm kinda down on Fitbit right now thanks to the Blaze so I may not wait forever.

The smart watch is killing them. They haven't been able to get it off the ground.

doby

Anyone with a Withings (now Nokia) Steel HR with condensation issue should contact Nokia for a replacement. They're fixing the issue at manufacture with the relaunch due in the Fall and as compensation for waiting are giving away their wifi body scales.

Fox318

Well my Blaze is dead.

Now I have to decide if I want an Ionic, different brand, or go for a band instead of a watch

DonShula

Anyone have any experience with the Garmin Connect app? I downloaded it after reading about the Vivoactive 3, and accidentally set it up for golf. Now I can't change it back to fitness or whatever the hell it's supposed to be. Deleted it and downloaded it again and I didn't get the option - just stuck with the golf view now in the app. Can't find an answer online. Do I really need to re-register and not pick golf next time? Hopefully this isn't status quo for frustration with the Garmin Connect app.

Fox318

Anyone have any experience with the Garmin Connect app? I downloaded it after reading about the Vivoactive 3, and accidentally set it up for golf. Now I can't change it back to fitness or whatever the hell it's supposed to be. Deleted it and downloaded it again and I didn't get the option - just stuck with the golf view now in the app. Can't find an answer online. Do I really need to re-register and not pick golf next time? Hopefully this isn't status quo for frustration with the Garmin Connect app.
How to you like your Vivoactive 3?

DonShula

How to you like your Vivoactive 3?

I almost bought it... then I bought an Apple Watch instead.

Then I returned the Apple Watch a week later and bought the Ionic. I just couldn’t get the apps to do what I wanted them to do with the Apple Watch. It’s a great piece of hardware but it didn’t fit my needs. I wanted excellent heart rate tracking and battery life, which I found the Apple Watch just didn’t have.

Ionic is good so far. A tad buggy but I expect that’ll be ironed out soon. It’s basically the culmination of all previous Fitbit devices. If you like Fitbit, you’ll love Ionic. If you’re used to an Apple Watch, Ionic will probably be a disappointment.

Fox318

I almost bought it... then I bought an Apple Watch instead.

Then I returned the Apple Watch a week later and bought the Ionic. I just couldn’t get the apps to do what I wanted them to do with the Apple Watch. It’s a great piece of hardware but it didn’t fit my needs. I wanted excellent heart rate tracking and battery life, which I found the Apple Watch just didn’t have.

Ionic is good so far. A tad buggy but I expect that’ll be ironed out soon. It’s basically the culmination of all previous Fitbit devices. If you like Fitbit, you’ll love Ionic. If you’re used to an Apple Watch, Ionic will probably be a disappointment.

Well I hate apple products so the Ionic and Vivoactive 3 are the devices I've been eyeing.

DonShula

Well I hate apple products so the Ionic and Vivoactive 3 are the devices I've been eyeing.

Based on what I saw from the Garmin Connect app, it’s pretty immature for weight loss and maintenance compared to Fitbit, but much better for training and serious runners. And golfers, interestingly.

Fox318

Based on what I saw from the Garmin Connect app, it’s pretty immature for weight loss and maintenance compared to Fitbit, but much better for training and serious runners. And golfers, interestingly.

Part of me wants to see the golf feature.

Wish there was a store I could hold and try out the devices.

DonShula

Part of me wants to see the golf feature.

Wish there was a store I could hold and try out the devices.

You could download multiple courses (there were MANY) and record scores - not sure what else. It works with the GPS so I assume it knows where you are on the course.

Fox318

Well I bought an Ionic.

Really came close to getting a Vivoactive 3 but I'm hedging my bet that the pebble community will embrace the Ionic.

DonShula

Ionic battery life is as advertised and then some. I went from 100% Monday morning to 33% Thursday night, including a two hour GPS hike and seven multiple hour workout sessions (hikes without GPS). I should have pushed for a few more GPS hikes but wasn’t sure what to expect overall, and had left my charger at home.

The band is an oddity. It’s rigid and difficult to put on. Yet the look has grown on me, it’s comfortable, and it stays in place 99% of the time. It’s a huge improvement on the Blaze band but you wouldn’t know it just by holding it.

Fox318

Ionic battery life is as advertised and then some. I went from 100% Monday morning to 33% Thursday night, including a two hour GPS hike and seven multiple hour workout sessions (hikes without GPS). I should have pushed for a few more GPS hikes but wasn’t sure what to expect overall, and had left my charger at home.

The band is an oddity. It’s rigid and difficult to put on. Yet the look has grown on me, it’s comfortable, and it stays in place 99% of the time. It’s a huge improvement on the Blaze band but you wouldn’t know it just by holding it.

It feels better than the Blaze. The charger is better IMO as well.

What I wish fitbit would do is have a chest or some other type of tracker. I do a ton of MMA training and it would be nice to be able to track during that time.

ty_hot

So I have a problem with my Surge, after 2-3 months using it. Contacted them yesterday with a photo of the problem, then after only 15 minutes they already answered me asking some additional info. More 10 minutes and they already offered me a new replacement or a 50% discount on any Fitbit. I chose the replacement and they confirmed at the same moment. The Fitbit was sent today and I should get it in a few days.

Never had such a quick and great experience with any company ever. It's even better than Amazon. Impressed. They didn't even ask me to send my device back to them, which was a little bit wierd (its just a cosmetic problem... I can still use it). My gf already has her Charge HR so I guess I am just keeping it as a back up.

Fox318

So I have a problem with my Surge, after 2-3 months using it. Contacted them yesterday with a photo of the problem, then after only 15 minutes they already answered me asking some additional info. More 10 minutes and they already offered me a new replacement or a 50% discount on any Fitbit. I chose the replacement and they confirmed at the same moment. The Fitbit was sent today and I should get it in a few days.

Never had such a quick and great experience with any company ever. It's even better than Amazon. Impressed. They didn't even ask me to send my device back to them, which was a little bit wierd (its just a cosmetic problem... I can still use it). My gf already has her Charge HR so I guess I am just keeping it as a back up.

That's actually what happened with me with my Charge HR.

Part of the reason I picked my Ionic over the Vivoactive 3 was the prior customer service.

Top Bottom