• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fivethirtyeight has Republicans at almost 70% chance of taking the Senate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are so many people swinging to the right this election?

Many of the Senate seats up for grabs are in Red states.

For some reason, people don't seem to like it when the stock market is at record highs, gas prices are low, the deficit has been cut in half, unemployment has dropped below 6%, interest rates are low . . . go figure.

Why are so many people swinging to the right this election?

It's not so much a swing as it is a correction. The Senate Dems won in a lot of conservative states back in 2008 riding on the coattails of Obama. Those states are in play again this year so Dems are on the defensive in states they do not normally win in.

kess

For some reason, people don't seem to like it when the stock market is at record highs, gas prices are low, the deficit has been cut in half, unemployment has dropped below 6%, interest rates are low . . . go figure.

The fact that many Democrats are still complaining that Obama "didn't do enough" isn't really helping the message.

Ace 8095

Are there any clips of republican pundits that laughed off Nate Silver during 2012 now singing his praises from the heavens?

I guess the people want something different. Well those numbers are terrible for democrats. Any chance of Nancy Pelosi getting the axe?

I think Democrats will hold onto a slim majority. Specifically a 50-50 tie that gets broken by Biden.

milquetoast said:
I guess the people want something different. Well those numbers are terrible for democrats. Any chance of Nancy Pelosi getting the axe?
Ha, Pelosi is in for life. Her district is 90% Dem or something ridiculous. If you mean as minority leader... well maybe but Democrats like her enough that they won't give her the boot.

Democrats are only in trouble in the Senate elections because so many of them are red states they won in 08. Mark Pryor (Arkansas) didn't even have a Republican running against him in 08, now he's one of the most endangered incumbents.

That's the problem when one half doesn't agree with the other half.
That's the problem when dichotomies exist and are fostered by those in power to ensure they stay in power. Don't get me started on how it ensures corporate policies propagate much easier...

If this turns out to be true the only reason domestically Obama stays in office is to ensure ACA stays largely intact. His only refuge is foreign policy.

saelz8

Republicans will be able to put their money where their mouth is, which won't amount to anything.

Basically, they won't fix anything they said they would.

Reps got it good right now though. All they need to do is vote to repeal obamacare and the base will be happy.

You wanna talk about an easy job.

And all of this somehow has to do with the party in power in the senate and house. The nitwits in both parties have nothing to do with the economy. They can't even keep the government open let alone make policy about the free market.

Christine

I'm going to vote, but I'm not in a contested district so it's not as if that's actually productive. Please vote, especially if it might matter.

Republicans will be able to put their money where their mouth is, which won't amount to anything.

Basically, they won't fix anything they said they would.

They can't do anything. They've like sworn a blood oath against compromise and pragmatism. And they can't pass things over a veto without 2/3s vote . . . not gonna happen.

Just more gridlock but with stupid symbolic bills passed in both senate and house instead of just House.

None of that matters when the media continues to say that the economy is in trouble and employers have cut staffing levels to the bone.

Sobriquet

If I remember correctly, Obama had a majority in both houses (including a super majority in the Senate) during his first two years in office, and he still had trouble getting things done.

It was the most productive Congress since the 60s. I believe the current Congress is the least productive in history.

Wilsongt

Yep. It's been known for a while that they would be taking the senate. Too many "scandals" from Obummer as well as the slew of new voter ID laws.

This was an inevitable outcome of the gains from the 2008 election, Democrats won in a ton of places they normally wouldn't compete in before Obama so a return to "Normal" was bound to happen. 2016 is going to be brutal for the Republicans however, I could see them losing a minimum of 5 seats.

Regiruler

Wake of the coattail effect. It's to be expected.

Meanwhile good luck getting the HoR: from the numbers I've heard the Democrats are posed to lose roughly 13-15 more seats.

This was an inevitable outcome of the gains from the 2008 election, Democrats won in a ton of places they normally wouldn't compete in before Obama so a return to "Normal" was bound to happen. 2016 is going to be brutal for the Republicans however, I could see them losing a minimum of 5 seats.

ok

it's not so bad after all.

Even if the republicans take the senate, I don't see most of their bills passing since a democrat still controls the white house. Ughh just an endless cycle of back and forth.

Wilsongt

Wake of the coattail effect. It's to be expected.

Meanwhile good luck getting the HoR: from the numbers I've heard the Democrats are posed to lose roughly 13-15 more seats.

Dems will take that back over in 2020/2022 when the new census is done.

I think they could win the House in 2016 if Hillary runs strong enough, but it probably wouldn't last more than two years.

The last time Democrats flipped the House (2006) they were running in maps that had been gerrymandered in 2000, although those gerrymanders weren't as extreme as today's.

Regiruler

Even if the republicans take the senate, I don't see most of their bills passing since a democrat still controls the white house. Ughh just an endless cycle of back and forth.

This is the most likely case. Even with the seat gains I doubt the Republican party has enough votes to directly override presidental vetos: and even if they do there are always pocket vetos (albeit not always possible since it requires congress to go out of session).

Even with the shifts in population towards the Southern states?
Or will it just be a non-factor by that point.

HylianTom

Banned
God help us if a Republican wins the presidency in a few years.

Not to worry. The Electoral College is insanely tilted in favor of whomever the Democrats nominate. The GOP would have to run the table on swing states near perfectly - and their candidate would barely get past 269EVs.

Gaining control of a chamber that wasn't going to pass much anyway over the next two years is a consolation prize for the GOP. It's like winning Advil when you come in second place on Jeopardy.

Regiruler

Not to worry. The Electoral College is insanely tilted in favor of whomever the Democrats nominate. The GOP would have to run the table on swing states near perfectly - and their candidate would barely get past 269EVs.

I blame California for having so many goddamn votes.

Gaining control of a chamber that wasn't going to pass much anyway over the next two years is a consolation prize for the GOP. It's like winning Advil when you come in second place on Jeopardy.

But if there's a big enough wave it's enough to swing most of those states over.

Wilsongt

I think they could win the House in 2016 if Hillary runs strong enough, but it probably wouldn't last more than two years.

The last time Democrats flipped the House (2006) they were running in maps that had been gerrymandered in 2000, although those gerrymanders weren't as extreme as today's.

One would hope. Our biggest problem isn't so much the Republicans as a whole, it's the fucking idiots who have managed to get injected into the party via Koch money, southern baptist, and people who just plain hate America progressing. The loud minority continues the party further and further into crazy town and irrelevance on any important issue.

One would hope. Our biggest problem isn't so much the Republicans as a whole, it's the fucking idiots who have managed to get injected into the party via Koch money, southern baptist, and people who just plain hate America progressing. The loud minority continues the party further and further into crazy town and irrelevance on any important issue.
The religious right....eww

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
So much for people around here saying that Republicans were pretty much fucked going forward.

Dat bipolar pendulum just keeps on swingin'.

Wilsongt

So much for people around here saying that Republicans were pretty much fucked going forward.

Low information voters as well as apathetic voters is a lethal combination in the current political environment.

The greatest thing either party ever did was lock people into a choice between the two. Basically just ensured they play musical chairs with power.

HylianTom

Banned
But if there's a big enough wave it's enough to swing most of those states over.
I'm trying to think of something that would trigger such a wave. Deep recession/depression? Clinton being caught in bed with a goat?

What's really going to dagger their party is when a Dem gets to replace a right-leaning SCOTUS justice or two. It'd be the death blow for the social conservative movement, at least for a generation. Any bullshit they pass on the state or federal level would be challenged in court, and the federal judiciary would knock it down.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The greatest thing either party ever did was lock people into a choice between the two. Basically just ensured they play musical chairs with power.

And that (besides a few outliers) both parties are largely Centerist or Center-Right in terms of social/fiscal policies on the Federal stage.

Two party federal governments sure do suck.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
What's really going to dagger their party is when a Dem gets to replace a right-leaning SCOTUS justice or two. It'd be the death blow for the social conservative movement, at least for a generation. Any bullshit they pass on the state or federal level would be challenged in court, and the federal judiciary would knock it down.

There will be a ceiling to how proactive the judiciary can be in dictating national policy, though. Eventually you'll see huge pushback from Congress, rallying their constituents to shift the power away from the judiciary anyway they can

I'm trying to think of something that would trigger such a wave. Deep recession/depression? Clinton being caught in bed with a goat?

Never underestimate how fickle people are. Recall in 1992 all it took was 3 successive terms of the same party and a modest economic downturn that had already begun recovering to basically sweep Clinton into office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom