• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flickchart - The Better Way To Rank The Best Movies Of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Alright, this mechanism blows. Among my 90 or so movies to choose,I've been given these three sets of, for me, nearly impossible choices:

The Lion King vs. The Incredibles
Monty Python & the Holy Grail vs. The Wizard of Oz
The Deer Hunter vs. The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

I love all those movies...ugh....

Edit: Now, I've been asked to choose between Jaws & The Empire Strikes Back. Did I mention that this blows?

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
The site works fairly well when you rank a ton of movies. After rating 800 movies, this is my top 25:

1 The Third Man
2 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
3 The Godfather
4 Dr. Strangelove
5 Casablanca
6 Pulp Fiction
7 The Bourne Ultimatum
8 The Godfather Part II
9 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
10 Lawrence of Arabia
11 Unforgiven
12 L.A. Confidential
13 Citizen Kane
14 Annie Hall
15 Fargo
16 The Terminator
17 GoodFellas
18 Seven
19 The Shawshank Redemption
20 Raging Bull
21 2001: A Space Odyssey
22 Network
23 Groundhog Day
24 Taxi Driver
25 Shaun of the Dead

tekumseh said:
Alright, this mechanism blows. Among my 90 or so movies to choose,I've been given these three sets of, for me, nearly impossible choices:

The Lion King vs. The Incredibles
Monty Python & the Holy Grail vs. The Wizard of Oz
The Deer Hunter vs. The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

I love all those movies...ugh....

Edit: Now, I've been asked to choose between Jaws & The Empire Strikes Back. Did I mention that this blows?

That's the whole point of forced rankings. Makes you make the hard choices.

UraMallas

I've noticed that it skews towards newer movie releases. I've gotten, maybe, 5 movies from before 1970 and probably 75% from 1990s onwards. The Godfather, for instance, has only come up one time and against LotR: RotK, which I picked. Since that time, it hasn't come back up and it's placed at #100 or so... that just ain't right! I've gone through 190 movies so far so I'm hoping this evens out soon.

Dax01 said:
For those I haven't seen in quite a long time, I mark as "haven't seen."
I'm starting to do this now, too. I want to be fair to all the movies. But that is another reason why my list is becoming 1990s/2000s-heavy.

traveler

Not Wario
traveler said:
Mine is way more humiliating. :(

Fight Club
The Godfather
Seven
The Silence of the Lambs
Office Space
The Big Lebowski
GoodFellas
The Godfather Part II
Alien
Aliens

It appears I need to, err, amend this list, as, after ranking some more, there are higher ranked movies I haven't seen:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Jurassic Park

UraMallas

Holy shit The Prestige vs. The Illusionist

I know that I liked one of them quite a bit better than the other when I watched them a couple of years ago but, since I watched them the same day, I can't differentiate which is which very well. Fuck me.

traveler said:
It appears I need to, err, amend this list, as, after ranking some more, there are higher ranked movies I haven't seen:

Jurassic Park
You live under a rock! :p

Kusagari

traveler said:

Jurassic Park

How have you never seen Jurassic Park?

Top movies I haven't seen:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (have seen parts, but barely remember)
Finding Nemo (also saw parts. in a Chem AP class after the AP. i went to sleep)
Monsters, Inc.
A Clockwork Orange (saw the first half hour or so)
Casablanca
Serenity
The Breakfast Club
Juno
Dogma
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

My top 20:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. The Godfather
3. Die Hard
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Fight Club
6. The Godfather Part II
7. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
8. Dumb and Dumber
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
10. 12 Monkeys
11. Seven
12. Raging Bull
13. There Will Be Blood
14. Blade Runner
15. Children of Men
16. Snatch
17. Glengarry Glen Ross
18. GoodFellas
19. Gladiator
20. Alien

traveler

Not Wario
Kusagari said:
How have you never seen Jurassic Park?

I dunno. I just never took the time to watch it when it was on TV, never rented it, or Netflix-ed it. I mean, I always knew it was out there, so exposure wasn't the reason. And geography isn't either- lived in America all 21 years of my life.

And my list has changed again. Haven't seen:

Pulp Fiction
Princess Bride
Reservoir Dogs
Blade Runner

either. :lol

UraMallas

Top 10 I haven't seen:

Aliens
The Terminator
The Professional
Donnie Darko
Taxi Driver
Trainspotting
L.A. Confidential
Juno
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Amélie

I've seen The Terminator and The Professional but long ago. And I've seen Trainspotting drunk, so I didn't want to rank it. Aliens... I'm pretty sure I've never seen.

traveler said:
I dunno. I just never took the time to watch it when it was on TV, never rented it, or Netflix-ed it. I mean, I always knew it was out there, so exposure wasn't the reason. And geography isn't either- lived in America all 21 years of my life.

And my list has changed again. Haven't seen:

Pulp Fiction
Princess Bride
Reservoir Dogs
Blade Runner

either. :lol
Why are you bothering with this site? What HAVE you seen?

traveler

Not Wario
CajoleJuice said:
Why are you bothering with this site? What HAVE you seen?

Top ten currently is:

Lost in Translation
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Forrest Gump
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Insider
Ratatouille
Empire Strikes Back
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Not entirely accurate, by any means, but it is a decent representation of my taste.

traveler said:
Top ten currently is:

Lost in Translation
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Forrest Gump
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Insider
Ratatouille
Empire Strikes Back
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Not entirely accurate, by any means, but it is a decent representation of my taste.
Well ok, not bad. :p

(I actually haven't seen all that many movies either -- in fact, I haven't seen 2 out of those)

Ceres

Banned
Despite not being a fan of Blade, it's pretty high in the top 10 because it keeps going against much worse films.

Tobor

I just got a real doozy.

No Country for Old Men vs. There Will Be Blood

I remember quite a few arguments around here on that one.

UraMallas

My top 10 is BULLSHIT. I'm not getting many of the movies I love and the list is totally fucked... look at my #1 and then let me explain how it happened:

1 Old School
2 Back to the Future
3 Iron Man
4 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
5 Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
6 Forrest Gump
7 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
8 Back to the Future Part II
9 Payback
10 A Christmas Story

I mean, I love Old School but what in hell? Back to the Future is a great movie but it kept pitting it against movies I didn't like at all and it was also the very first movie I rated so nothing could topple it. Then, Old School came up and I decided to push Back to the Future down some because I saw that Old School's ranking was really low because it had gone against some tough movies and when I clicked on Old School now I have Old School and Back to the Future as my top two movies! This is not a fair representation of my tastes. I'd probably put every movie below those two above them besides BttFII and Payback and I don't know why I can't seem to push them off my list! I actually do like Old School about as much as Back to the Future but this whole list is fucked for me, right now. I'm just going to have to say I "haven't seen" Old School when it comes back up and start that movie over. UGH.

UraMallas said:
My top 10 is BULLSHIT. I'm not getting many of the movies I love and the list is totally fucked... look at my #1 and then let me explain how it happened:

1 Old School
2 Back to the Future
3 Iron Man
4 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
5 Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
6 Forrest Gump
7 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
8 Back to the Future Part II
9 Payback
10 A Christmas Story
Start out with your favorite genre. Once you got your list sorted out with that, you can branch out to other genres. Mine is science-fiction, my top five so far:

1. Jurassic Park
2. Gattaca
3. Alien
4. The Terminator
5. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

variance said:
Empire Strikes Back vs. Wall-E

ouch.

chose wall-e
Would've chosen the same thing.

traveler

Not Wario
I don't actually have a favorite genre; I just found it easier to start sorting only using the top x movies in list, going from top 50 to top 20 and so on.

Tobor said:
It's not going to remove the loser from the chart. You have to rank one above the other eventually.

:lol I know, but it's still a life or death level question to my pitiful geek existence

Someone should bump this in 3 months when the rankings go faster

I think its trying to trip me up by posting different box arts - did you really mean to pick that?

Tobor

brandonh83 said:
:lol I know, but it's still a life or death level question to my pitiful geek existence

:lol What did you choose? I'd probably go with Raiders, but man that is tough.

Meier

Meier said:
The fuck? Who took abellwillring? I've never encountered a single issue with that.
Okay, so now it says I took it. It told me to pick a new user name on my first attempt but I guess it went through. :lol

Tobor said:
:lol What did you choose? I'd probably go with Raiders, but man that is tough.

Went with Empire, my Star Wars over Indiana Jones preference won out I guess.

edit WOW I just got Hook vs The Lost World, IMO two of Spielberg's worst films of his career. I dislike both about equally, but TLW might win simply because it isnt full of family fluffy bullshit. Oh wait, yes it is. Argh, agonizing choices here!

First one was Rear Window versus Star Wars...had to go with Lucas.

Thanks for the heads up OP, if anything, I think it's nice to have a list of films you haven't seen.

Tobor

There's a real slot machine element going on here. I find myself hoping for a big movie to come up to knock another movie down.

2e2ghnc.jpg

Sophie's choice? How does it know me so well already?!

Ceres

Banned
The genres seem to be messed up.
Thus far in comedy I've gotten King Kong, Superman Returns, The Usual Suspects, The Wrestler, and Shawshank Redemption.

Edit: And now add The Pianist, Dances with Wolves, and Mulholland Dr.

Ceres said:
The genres seem to be messed up.
Thus far in comedy I've gotten King Kong, Superman Returns, The Usual Suspects, The Wrestler, and Shawshank Redemption.

Edit: And now add The Pianist, Dances with Wolves, and Mulholland Dr.
Try going to a different genre then go back to Comedy. I was getting that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom