• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Footage of cancelled racing game by Bizarre Creations

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wow so this thread reminded me I should buy Blur on Steam, and then I noticed that it got taken down.

You can't buy Blur on Steam any more.

Edit: Just watched the second video and that camera is waaaay too low to the ground. No wonder they closed down. /s

For real though it looks really cool, if overly shiny.

IHaveIce

Banned
Wait...that's from some former Bizarre employees? Might have to check it out.

arrlw8.gif

Glorious GIF

Skyzard

Banned
^ Loved that part. Reminded me of Trackmania.

Graphics look great, gameplay looks like shit.

I'm sick of these straighline "racers" that have maybe 2 turns in the average race and roads wider than the the autobahn with cars that feel like they weigh 10 tons.

The second video looked pretty open to me. Also note that this is very early footage.

Yeah I was imagining them having added..say the fantastic mechanics of Blur to it at least.

..Get Microsoft to buy it..
and make it a 1 year Windows 8 Exclusive :p

Blizzard

Banned
I'm really confused since the video won't play in Firefox 17.0.1, and won't even show up at all in IE9. Does it work in Chrome (which I don't have)?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I want to cry every time I hear about Bizarre Creations closing. The one development studio closing that has hurt me the most. :'(

This project definitely looks like Blur 2, which I believe was the plan (to turn Blur into a franchise they can reap rewards from often like CoD). The arcadier level design, with more loops and wider spaces, makes me inclined to believe that even more. A lot of those effects look stellar too for pre-Alpha. Sounds like some stuff that would look even better on next-gen consoles. Thank you for posting, OP.

I've said this over and over but what happened to Bizarre is so unfortunate. I still dream of a PGR5 on my nextbox developed by the entirety of Bizarre, not just remnants of them..

I'm really confused since the video won't play in Firefox 17.0.1, and won't even show up at all in IE9. Does it work in Chrome (which I don't have)?
Plays in my 17.0.1. Check your plug-ins?

I always mix together Blur and Split/second. Which one is which again?

Blur had weapon pick-ups and was supposed to be a Mario Kart challenger, based off their marketing, but with realistic cars. Still had crazy physics and neon lights everywhere.

Split/Second had you building up a three-part meter which you could use to trigger set explosions and large-scale destruction in a level to take out other racers.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Graphics look great, gameplay looks like shit.

I'm sick of these straighline "racers" that have maybe 2 turns in the average race and roads wider than the the autobahn with cars that feel like they weigh 10 tons.
You inferred gameplay from an engine demo?

And even if this was Blur 2, you clearly haven't played Blur. The cars vary in handling and a lot of them are VERY nimble, especially in the fastest class. You need roads that wide when your running 20 cars on a track at once and there are power-ups flying everywhere. The game design choices are logical and make sense.

Mesoian

::Cries:: It's so sad. This looks so cool...

I'm glad that Sega and All Stars Racing, which contains a big part of the blur team, was a great game...

But great god damn, these videos are so cool looking....

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Those videos gave off a colab vibe

BC + Evolution

Project Gothamstorm: Annihilation!

Skyzard

Banned
I dont know, it said cancelled game but if its just an engine then it looks great, pretty much next gen imo.

Yeah to be fair they don't mention too much more additions...wouldn't be enough with just background animations and destruction...needs some mario kart like Blur had, this makes sense but who knows I guess:

enzo_gt said:
And even if this was Blur 2, you clearly haven't played Blur. The cars vary in handling and a lot of them are VERY nimble, especially in the fastest class. You need roads that wide when your running 20 cars on a track at once and there are power-ups flying everywhere. The game design choices are logical and make sense.

Mr_eX

Blur is a great game. It's a shame Activision doesn't know how to market anything other than Call of Duty.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
BloodStoone 007 is a good game too

Vehicle sections were aight, was a decent shooter

DominoKid

if only there were a Blur 2.

i bought the first one on a whim after it bombed. i thought it was sucked because the marketing made it look damn shitty. boy was i wrong. definitely my favorite racer this gen and overall since Double Dash.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Playground Games, the developers behind Forza Horizon are made up of former members of Bizzare (along with Coides, Black Rock Studios, Criteron among others). That's an amazing game.

It's a real shame no one picked them up.

It's also been oft rumored that Turn10 (Main Forza Series) was going to be behind PGR5, but that result may have just been Forza Horizon at this point, they play pretty much the same.

Acrylic7

I'm not very fond of realistic racing games :p, even though that gif is pretty sweet.

Also Fur Fighter is the best 3rd person shooter ever/

PGR5 would have been dope. PGR3 and Geometry Wars was a big reason for me buying the 360. And PGR4 was pretty awesome even if the whole bike vs car thing didn't work as seamless as I think they would have hoped. I kind of want to pop in PGR3 or 4 right now...

Yeah, was the best Bond game since EoN for my money. Had a lot more fun than I expected due to the incredibly short dev cycle.
I want to pick it up, but whenever I see 007 Bloodstone, it is still at $29.99 or more... I am looking to pick it up for more like $15 or something, but it never went super bargain bin, and whenever bestbuy or whoever had sales, they were always immediately sold out online, or just never had them in store around me.

is there a reason why all arcade racing games have such open straight tracks? Blur, splitsecond, and every NeedforSpeed game since 2004. every video looks the same; set on a city circuit with wide sweeping corners with huge flashing markers.

I never really liked these game but I always wanted NeedforSpeed to return to its roots with a game similar to the original Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed. still the best one IMO

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
realistic car models, realistic buildings, realistic streets.
Its just not my style.

Im a Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart, kinda guy.

When I think "realistic racing games" I think of sims (Forza/GT).

While they might use realistic settings, they're more arcadey than realistic.

VariantX

is there a reason why all arcade racing games have such open straight tracks? Blur, splitsecond, and every NeedforSpeed game since 2004. every video looks the same; set on a city circuit with wide sweeping corners with huge flashing markers.

I never really liked these game but I always wanted NeedforSpeed to return to its roots with a game similar to the original Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed. still the best one IMO

Speed. Speed and all the Hollywood effects that go along with it. Fast and furious in a way, dictates how a lot of arcade racers should be in terms of presentation.

bridegur

That second video looks so much more interesting and fun than anything else going on in modern racing games. Reminds me of the Rush series and Beetle Adventure Racing.

Can't say those clips get me excited. There is a reason PGR has a lot of love, and it isn't because of silly weapon additions or driving on the side of buildings.

If Bizarre could ever have made another game, I'd have wanted a pure racing experience, which is what they do best imo.

Top Bottom