• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Twente will play a EL game next week. What will happen if De Jong is on the field? Does that mean he can't play EL for Newcastle no more?

If he plays for Twente then he can't play for Newcastle until Twente are knocked out, if I understand the rules correctly.

Kyoufu

Luuk de Jong will not play. Because he went to Euro he still has 3 weeks of vacation to go.

Oh I see.

Is that the same for Debuchy too then?

edit: apparently we're offering a cash deal for De Jong, as opposed to split payments over several years, which should be enough to get the deal done.

dc89

tUBzB.gif

Play.com posted that!

Carbonox

Oh I see.

Is that the same for Debuchy too then?

edit: apparently we're offering a cash deal for De Jong, as opposed to split payments over several years, which should be enough to get the deal done.

Sounds good. Should offer them a youngster on loan as well IMO. Someone like Vuckic could prosper in the Dutch league.

elseanio

Henderson and Carroll in the background, but who the hell is this guy? People are saying Linekers brother (does look like Gary!)

zkBb9.jpg

Carbonox

It might help that those other two are too fake to be pretty :p

Ain't gonna lie, I'd go to town on them too. The right one second, the bottom one 4th. I fear in the process of getting about Carroll might try and request a cheeky bum without me realising.

GorillaJu

I imagine Olympic football will be very entertaining. With the stakes "lower" in the eyes of the footballers, they'll be able to have more fun, be more creative and not feel nerve-wrecked.

Olympic football gets a bad press. It could have a few decent matches.
I agree. And since it's by and large under-23 players taking part there will be some good young talents on display. I'm very much looking forwards to it. Some nations don't take it too seriously but alot do, Argentina had a fantastic team out a few years ago.

Kyoufu

I agree. And since it's by and large under-23 players taking part there will be some good young talents on display. I'm very much looking forwards to it. Some nations don't take it too seriously but alot do, Argentina had a fantastic team out a few years ago.

How did they finish? I imagine Messi would cause havoc in those games.

Linius

I remember the Dutch U-21 squad win the euros twice in a row and do a total failure at the olympics, too bad.

Listening to Elbow now. Looking forward to seeing them live again tomorrow :D

Linius

Pretty sure they won Gold. Messi, Tevez, Aguero + Mascherano all played I think.
They won the last two olympics with some crazy numbers. Both times six wins (no losses). 2004: 17 GS / 0 GA. 2008: 11 GS / 2 GA.

This year they're not qualified.

I see that Spain and Honduras are in the same group for this year's olympics. Good luck Elsk :p

dc89

Belgium come be one to watch. They are going to th Olympics right?

Pretty sure they won Gold. Messi, Tevez, Aguero + Mascherano all played I think.

Yup. They did.

If they don't win the World Cup I'm going to be upset. :(

They won't win the World Cup.

Linius

I was checking De jong's Facebook page, Germans all over the place.

Wir warten auf dir Luuk! :p

And I read that McClaren wants to hold on to him for at least one season.

Kyoufu

I was checking De jong's Facebook page, Germans all over the place.

Wir warten auf dir Luuk! :p

And I read that McClaren wants to hold on to him for at least one season.

I personally don't want another Jon Dahl Tomasson experience, which I feel is likely to happen with De Jong too but we're kind of desperate for a striker right now. :/

I think Newcastle would be a much better club for Luuk. The playstyle would suit him well.

He can play on the wing as well as centre so this is exactly what we're looking for.

Belgium come be one to watch. They are going to th Olympics right?

No, we're not qualified this time, didn't even get close to qualifying. The "golden generation" who got 4th in Beijing 4 years ago is mostly too old to play in the Olympics team. They got spanked by Brazil and Nigeria anyway.

Olympics tournament should be fun, look forward to watching Spain & Brazil's new crop, Mexico, Japan and Morocco. Curious about Senegal too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom