• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 & Off-season |OT2| 5000-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

Ashley Williams off to Everton, gutted.

Sorry dude. Feeling for ya, but we need an Experienced defender after Martinez fucked up our ability to actually handle the ball in our own half.

Pretty amusing seeing Everton so low, especially considering all the hype when Moshiri got involved.

You keep forgetting that we have a new world class Sporting Director who actually wants us to spend smart rather than in quantity. The only people who are hyped about us splashing big money is everyone else who doesn't support the club.

Beefy

You keep forgetting that we have a new world class Sporting Director who actually wants us to spend smart rather than in quantity. The only people who are hyped about us splashing big money is everyone else who doesn't support the club.

Goes on the Everton forun, damn that is a lot of non Everton fans on there... :p

Syder

Another CB bought, another CB to ignore in favour of Kompany.
Man City's Quest to find a partner for Kompany:
Lescott: £22m
Boateng: £11m
Savić: £6m
Nastasić: £12m
Demichelis: £3.5m
Mangala: £40m
Otamendi: £32m
Stones: £47.5m

inb4: Kompany injured in the first month of the season.

T-Rex.

Banned
All the Everton fans I know were convinced they were going to be spending massively like City/Chelsea to establish themselves as one of the top clubs. If you go and check the various Everton forums, I bet people on there would be saying the same.

Kill3r7

Should have kept Boateng better than the whole lot of them.

Syder

Should have kept Boateng better than the whole lot of them.
City didn't have enough patience with Boateng, Savić or Nastasić. Good luck to Stones but with City's track record I expect to see him in Sunderland's starting XI in 3 years time.

What happened to FFP?

Rules got changed because of clubs like Inter having a hard time meeting the requirements and not having the funds to deal with fines. Even with the old rules City would have been fine in the second year as the first year where they made the biggest purchases wouldn't have been counted. United had no problem in the first place as they didn't have their growth period in the five years that were relevant and were more than stable through the years when it did count. When you consider that the Manchester clubs according to Forbes revenue is $500million+ each then there should be no problem especially when the figures quoted for contractual buyouts are rarely paid in lump sums and usually split between 3 to 5 years. FFP was never about fair play it was about protecting the CL from an influx of newly monied clubs that don't bring in viewing figures or revenue of the traditional clubs.

Replace.

bjaelke

Palace had a £25m bid rejected earlier in the summer , but having failed to make progress with a number of other striking targets they are now ready to go back with a fresh offer.
Palace are understood to be prepared to meet Benteke’s wage demands, while the player is said to be open to a move to Selhurst Park.
3oi2Gs.gif

City want £16m for him apparently. Liverpool could buy him...

can he play left back?

Ashley Young is said to be travelling now to sign for another club. Rumoured to be Crystal Palace. If true, that must mean we're preparing to sell Bolasie.

Yeah a few reports are saying that we are in for him but even if we do get someone today or tomorrow I don't seem them playing on Sunday.
Seems to be full steam ahead on Mustafi atm. Apparently Wenger wants the deal done by Friday morning (So he could be in the squad for the Liverpool match).

Quite why they couldn't have gotten this and a striker done a couple of months ago I have no idea.

NHale

Here in Portugal, Everton keeps being brought up as the team that wants to pay a boatload of cash to get William Carvalho and Adrien (if they don't get Axel Witsel) from Sporting. Don't know if it's just a rumor to spike interest on those players or not.

Seems to be full steam ahead on Mustafi atm. Apparently Wenger wants the deal done by Friday morning (So he could be in the squad for the Liverpool match).

Quite why they couldn't have gotten this and a striker done a couple of months ago I have no idea.

At first I thought Arsenal would turn the tide on latest transfer window business and try to buy early and sell later when they bough Xhaka but now it seems Arsenal keeps playing the transfer window the same way as before. They seem to believe that prices go down as the summer goes along and not the other way around, which always ends up by having them making a panic buy at the deadline, spending more than they should or not getting the players they wanted.

Not that Arsenal actually needs a lot of players in my opinion. With Mustafi if they got a world class striker and a normal injury rate they would be my favorites to win the title.

T-Rex.

Banned
That's a good deal for Palace. He'll suit the way they play, and not only that but his actual record at Liverpool isn't *that* bad. I think he'll get close to 20 goals in the prem if he stays fit. Pretty annoying that they got rid of our nemesis Gayle and ended up signing another one of the guys who always does well against us though lol.

Fwiw, all of the media around Valencia say that the teams are way apart on money for Mustafi and the club is more focused on off-loading one of their other center backs so they can bring in Sidnei from Depor.

Lunar FC

Benteke to Palace is close apparently, for around £29m.

Please just get it done, I don't care how much we get anymore.

Also, has there been a player bought this summer that you guys haven't laughed at the transfer price? Prices go up every year, don't know why yall are always shocked. I think Benteke is deffinatly worth that for palace.

sora87

Yup, Benteke will do well at Palace and no doubt score a hattrick against us.

The Stones fee is crazy, every time I watched Match of the Day last season it seemed he made a mistake or 3. But Pep will probably tune him in to the english Pique.

Beefy

Please just get it done, I don't care how much we get anymore.

Also, has there been a player bought this summer that you guys haven't laughed at the transfer price? Prices go up every year, don't know why yall are always shocked. I think Benteke is deffinatly worth that for palace.

Prices are going to get even more crazy next year. Then in 2019 you have Sky and BT fighting for the rights again...

RiggyRob

You can see the desperation set in after Demichelis, and that's after booting Nastasic who wasn't all that bad considering his age.

Prices are going to get even more crazy next year. Then in 2019 you have Sky and BT fighting for the rights again...

Wonder if the PL will see how shit viewership is on BT's CL coverage, and give the rights to Sky even if they bid less (within a reasonable parameter)

edit: Karius was very reasonably priced from the looks of things, but fuck knows how good he is.

The Stones fee is crazy, every time I watched Match of the Day last season it seemed he made a mistake or 3. But Pep will probably tune him in to the english Pique.

"John Stones has as many errors leading to goals in 73 PL games as Titus Bramble made in his final 117"

Pretty happy with that Benteke business. If we magically can get rid of Balotelli and buy a left back... there's reasons to be excited for this season I think.

Beefy

Wonder if the PL will see how shit viewership is on BT's CL coverage, and give the rights to Sky even if they bid less (within a reasonable parameter)

edit: Karius was very reasonably priced from the looks of things, but fuck knows how good he is.

Yeah I hopw UEFA go back to Sky. Means I can cancel my BT sub.

faridmon

Here in Portugal, Everton keeps being brought up as the team that wants to pay a boatload of cash to get William Carvalho and Adrien (if they don't get Axel Witsel) from Sporting. Don't know if it's just a rumor to spike interest on those players or not.

Yeah, we are linked with those players, but I think we wanted to wait to end Stones and Lukaku Saga before we actually make a bid. But again, that was before Walsh was brought in, so he may have a different set of players to target.

Keep in mind though that we were linked with Carvalho for 2 years and I think his agent flat out rejected us as a prospect club. Adrien is a much of a possibility,. but I don't know if his club wants to let him go.

We are heavily linked with Vincent Aboubakar, I don't know if he is any good or not though

faridmon

Goes on the Everton forun, damn that is a lot of non Everton fans on there... :p

All the Everton fans I know were convinced they were going to be spending massively like City/Chelsea to establish themselves as one of the top clubs. If you go and check the various Everton forums, I bet people on there would be saying the same.

I have to clear some confusion here:

No ONE is thinking we are going to be the next Chelsea/Man city because Moshiri is not that right. In fact, he is barely a Billionaire who have stakes in other businesses and is wary of losing money. In fact, he flat out said that he will spend couple of Hundred Million of TOTAL GAIN during the the next 10 years or so, so this is an investment for the longer term rather than a short term one.

But we are frustrated, and that stems from the fact that aren't signing anyone signings, not that we are expecting a huge World class player for +50M, but even 10 - 30 M signing isn't happening (except for the past week where we have signed 2) and the frustration also comes in hard because we are in a dire need of players since the club is unbalanced (Too many wingers,not enough CB, aging players, inexperienced players, too many Left Backs, only 1 Right Back, etc..) and we need enforcement.

Third Point: Alot of our fans are idiots, and most sane fans are aware of he stereotypical stigma that is attached to us coming from those fans. They are ones who had the banners to be flows, boo off Arteta, create toxic atmosphere during Liverpool games, etc... Not all of us think the same thing and taking words from these people is not really fair.

faridmon

Blame Martinez.

The even experienced Jagielka turned into total joke thanks for 0 emphasis on defending and organisation. Stones will be fine.

Let's continue with crazy money.

Apparently Crystal Palace have accepted Evertons bid of £25m for Yannick Bolasie.

I think thats fair. The guy has some serious skill but has always put into a system that doesn't really suit him. Give him a good striker to pair with and play the byline rather than the cut and he could be amazing. Biggest problem is he thinks he is better than he actually is plus Pardew looked like he wanted rid when he arrived at the club which can't have been good for his development.

Unconfirmed Member

Apparently BT outbid Sky on every package during the last negotiation but the Premier League saw Sky as a more reliable partner.

The next Champions League renegotiation will have a greater FTA component which could turn BT's focus firmly back on the PL.

NHale

Yeah, we are linked with those players, but I think we wanted to wait to end Stones and Lukaku Saga before we actually make a bid. But again, that was before Walsh was brought in, so he may have a different set of players to target.

Keep in mind though that we were linked with Carvalho for 2 years and I think his agent flat out rejected us as a prospect club. Adrien is a much of a possibility,. but I don't know if his club wants to let him go.

We are heavily linked with Vincent Aboubakar, I don't know if he is any good or not though

Aboubakar is so good that Porto left him out of their CL team. Quite frankly I don't see him as a Premier League quality striker.

Slimani on the other hand is a fantastic striker that would fit very well on the Premier League. Last year he was almost sold to Leicester but he ended up staying. Now it appears he has two offers from England and wants to force a move (missed training yesterday). I wouldn't doubt if one of them is from Everton. That would be a great signing if the fee is indeed €20M.

Sporting says they are not selling but everyone believes they are just trying to play the hard sell with Adrien and William Carvalho. If anyone appears with a great offer they will sell but I don't see Adrien fitness levels (gets tired every game) fitting in with the pace of the premier league.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I hopw UEFA go back to Sky. Means I can cancel my BT sub.

I get BT Sport free with my broadband but I would cancel in a heartbeat if I had to pay for it. Absolute shite.

UEFA want more games on free channels anyway. The viewership is like x10 and I imagine that's what the sponsors want so I expect them to lose a lot of it next time round.

Pachimari

Where are the Spanish fans at? I feel like we're a dying breed in here. We can actually win our first trophy of the season tonight woooo.

I think thats fair. The guy has some serious skill but has always put into a system that doesn't really suit him. Give him a good striker to pair with and play the byline rather than the cut and he could be amazing. Biggest problem is he thinks he is better than he actually is plus Pardew looked like he wanted rid when he arrived at the club which can't have been good for his development.

Well Pardew always talked about that the main thing Bolasie (and Zaha) needed to improve was the end product, and he hasn't. So I think Pardew is pretty happy that we get silly money for a player he might want to get rid off, and can now do so without getting fans on his back.

I'm not sure that he has really been put in a system that has hasn't suited him. He has had plenty of ball and responsibility in a system where he has gotten a very free role on the wing. He might have been a bit pissed off when he has been played as a striker, but that has always just been a question of injuries and suspensions, and not a primary alternative.

I will never fault Bolasie for the service he has done for the club, the effort he has put in and the excitement he has brought to games. But I do think that Androws Townsend is an upgrade on him, and we got him for half this price.

The main problem now is that we will be back with only two main options for the wings in Zaha and Townsend, and need to buy again. Bakary Sako for sure didn't deliver last season and Sulley Kaikai is a prospect, but still very young.

It wouldn't be bad if we could get Saido Berahino in, as he can play in many different attacking options.

Benteke to Palace is close apparently, for around £29m.

Palace need to hire new negotiators. Liverpool want rid of him so badly they'd accept £20m no problem, if not now then in a few weeks' time.

They've been holding out for more but they're so clearly bluffing.

Beefy

Let's continue with crazy money.

Apparently Crystal Palace have accepted Evertons bid of £25m for Yannick Bolasie.

Rising to £30m.

Everton going crazy now.

They have bid £30m for Bolasie, which has been accepted.

They have bid £18m for Kone (Sunderland) which has been accepted.

Palace need to hire new negotiators. Liverpool want rid of him so badly they'd accept £20m no problem, if not now then in a few weeks' time.

They've been holding out for more but they're so clearly bluffing.

That's not a risk they can easily take though

He has 3 years left with us, and they have very few options up front. We may not be one of the mega-rich clubs, but we can easily afford to get into a game of chicken over a year of benteke's wages and whatever depreciation there is in his value over the next year.

At this point there are shades of a lesser version of Torres/Carroll if it happens. Its late in the window, they're desperate, we have no need to sell and they've got a sudden and public cash injection that the fans will want spent. And they and we know that Benteke will likely do very well for them.

Oh Bollocks. Why Real Madrid? Why couldn't you have done your usual poaching of a deal? Sure you already have two much better midfielders in Kroos and Modric but damn it you let United actually buy a good player, now have three in Ibra, Pogba and da Gea. We may have to suffer with the arrogant United fans again that had been under a rock for the last 3 years.

This was actually a good attempt. Bravo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom