• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Tosyn_88

I think Griezman did a good thing by staying. Of course as a United supporter, it's disappointing but I respect him for doing this. See all them rivals in relief we didn't sign him, we have yet to strengthen and they already scared. Just wait till we begin to shore up the squad, you think you hate United now, just wait and see how much madness Jose will instill

GHG

I think Griezman did a good thing by staying. Of course as a United supporter, it's disappointing but I respect him for doing this. See all them rivals in relief we didn't sign him, we have yet to strengthen and they already scared. Just wait till we begin to shore up the squad, you think you hate United now, just wait and see how much madness Jose will instill

Nobody is scared. Jose isn't what he once was. Even Wenger has beaten him now, everybody knows what he's about.

RocknRola

Ah well, we got eliminated from he U20 World Cup by Uruguay in the penalty shootout (2-2 in the regular + extra time).

Uruguay will likely reach the final now (they'll play Venezuela on the semi).

DBT85

Nobody is scared. Jose isn't what he once was. Even Wenger has beaten him now, everybody knows what he's about.

Plenty of people didn't want to see Mou in that job because they knew he could make them win again. Virtually unlimited funds, huge draw for players and a manager who's won 12 of his 14 cup finals.

But Wenger has beaten him now so it's all over.

NHale

United is getting James as a consolation prize.

Choosing James Rodrigues over Bernardo Silva is a decision that will haunt Man United for years to come.

Man United had the right to match any deal for Bernardo Silva but declined to do it according to Portuguese press. I'm sure Mourinho will love James defensive ability and commitment to recover balls in the midfield. He's the opposite of what Mourinho demands of a number 10. If the rumors are true, I'm sure Drawinho believes he can change James like he did with Ozil at Real, but after watching him play since his Porto days, I'm not so sure you can change him.

Also I don't see how James is one of your most biggest needs when you already have Mata and Mhki, and of course FellainiGod.

Bernardo Silva in the Premier League will be a big surprise, not because of his creativity and ball skills but because he actually recovers a lot of balls in the midfield. Guardiola type of player that can press the other team as soon as they leave their penalty box, just like he did at Barcelona. I'm shocked that Barcelona didn't went hard after Bernardo Silva unless they still believe the molasses Andre Gomes is their Iniesta replacement...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Choosing James Rodrigues over Bernardo Silva is a decision that will haunt Man United for years to come.

Man United had the right to match any deal for Bernardo Silva but declined to do it according to Portuguese press. I'm sure Mourinho will love James defensive ability and commitment to recover balls in the midfield. He's the opposite of what Mourinho demands of a number 10. If the rumors are true, I'm sure Drawinho believes he can change James like he did with Ozil at Real, but after watching him play since his Porto days, I'm not so sure you can change him.

Also I don't see how James is one of your most biggest needs when you already have Mata and Mhki, and of course FellainiGod.

What are you talking about? Have you seen James playing recently for Real? Zidane already changed him quite a bit in doing exactly that.

NHale

What are you talking about? Have you seen James playing recently for Real? Zidane already changed him quite a bit in doing exactly that.

Quite frankly I've not seen him a lot this year especially because the games I've watched he was sitting on the bench or watching from the stands. The last time I've seen play was against Barcelona and while he single handlely created the opportunity to tie that game with less 1 player, it wasn't the perfect time to watch his ball recovering and covering skills. Did he improve that a lot this year?

Pachimari

The club who gets James, will get an immense top class player, who can distribute the ball around the pitch, make near perfect crosses, you get one who is lethal on free kicks, and one who can make some very beautiful shots.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Quite frankly I've not seen him a lot this year especially because the games I've watched he was sitting on the bench or watching from the stands. The last time I've seen play was against Barcelona and while he single handlely created the opportunity to tie that game with less 1 player, it wasn't the perfect time to watch his ball recovering and covering skills. Did he improve that a lot this year?

Yes, he can play defensively now quite decently. Depends a lot on what position he plays on the field but whenever he played as CM (usual Kroos' position) he did a good job there and runs back. Here are his defensive stats for this season:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/71182/Show/James-Rodríguez

And you can see also what positions he covered..

NHale

Yes, he can play defensively now quite decently. Depends a lot on what position he plays on the field but whenever he played as CM (usual Kroos' position) he did a good job there and runs back. Here are his defensive stats for this season:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/71182/Show/James-Rodríguez

And you can see also what positions he covered..

Stats wise it looks better but at the same time the sample size is quite small and mostly against bottom of the table teams. But you clearly I've watched him more this year than I do and the eye test is the best, so I stand corrected in that regard. Good to know he's better on that aspect.

I don't question his offensive ability one bit, and Man United definitely needs someone that can create chances but fucking Mourinho never gives total freedom to his number 10 player and sometimes even plays without one. Still remember he prefered Oscar to Mata and De Bruyne because Oscar showed effort on the defensive side.

I hope I'm wrong but if James goes to United, I bet he gets benched before September ends because he didn't cover a corner like he should or any defensive lapse it happens, just like Mourinho did with Shaw after that cross against Watford.

Can't wait for United signings for this year to be Perisic, Matic (if Chelsea gets Bakayoko), William and Lindelof.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
United doesn't have currently a better offensive player than James. While it has plenty of defensive ones. So I think if Mou wants him he knows why. Neither Mata nor De Bruyne were Mou's signings.

casiopao

Don't worry dude I know it's tough but buffon will always have his world cup winners medal and he is loved the world over for the dedication he has to his craft!

He will be back again next year at the age of 40 to give the champions league one final shot, as well as play in his fifth world cup!!

I am broken inside lol. I had watched four UCL defeat. My mind is more or less give up now.

The main problem is the mentality as this whole match had been decided the moment Casemiro scored. Hell, even from the first half, i feel all the player had been too tense.

Our BBC and Buffon should be the backbone for the team there. Shouting and calming the whole team but man, watching Buffon face after Casemiro goal already told me that we are going down badly there.T_T

De Gea cannot perform those extraordinary saves Keylor does.

However yesterday's Mandzu goal would not happen to a taller gk

De Gea can keep Keylor on his toes. Let's see.

Sciel

The testimonial was hella good fun. Another good one was Phil taking on Gary with a lot of stepovers lol.

Most hilarious thing was Rooney being terrible against a bunch of pensioners...and then also yelling numerous times at the ref.

Does United really want Morata?
According to Di Marzio, he's one of Mourinho's top targets.
Would take him over the other targets linked with us really (Lukaku & Belotti)

VLiberty

I wish I knew someone who both knows Star Trek (Voyager) and football(preferably a Juve fan) just to show him this picture:

tumblr_nfgmkxcn5G1td3k3fo1_500.jpg

yella

I wish I knew someone who both knows Star Trek (Voyager) and football(preferably a Juve fan) just to show him this picture:

tumblr_nfgmkxcn5G1td3k3fo1_500.jpg
LOL absolutely savage.

Real talk, though, it's a shame Juve capitulated like that. Would have been nice for Buffon to win one. At this rate he's gonna end up like R9 - one of the greatest ever in his position who won everything but the Champions League...

Jarnet87

So a few reports that De Gea will join Madrid for €22m and Morata.

I believe the reports are that United are willing to let De Gea go for Morata plus money, not that he is going to join.

The testimonial was hella good fun. Another good one was Phil taking on Gary with a lot of stepovers lol.

Most hilarious thing was Rooney being terrible against a bunch of pensioners...and then also yelling numerous times at the ref.

Clarence Seedorf and Scholes looked like they could still give it a go, Park as well.

Looks like Mohamed Salah will replace Andy Carroll(lol) as Liverpool's record signing and it will probably not be the only time we break our transfer record this summer.

£150m isn't really enough to make that Arsenal squad title challengers in today's market.

If Sanchez goes its not even close. He has been dragging them through games and that is with reports of him being unhappy and wanting to leave for most of the season.

Is he the first player to do so while playing?

At this level I think so. There's Robbie Rogers(LA Galaxy) in MLS and there was Justin Fashanu in the 90s.

Worth noting that it's with his Lazio teammate Patric. So I suppose both of them are coming out.

Top Bottom