• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

That was the worst penalty shootout in history of penalty shootouts. It was like 2 random gamers playing FIFA for first time and trying to figure out penalty controls. Hilarious.

TeddyBoy

Did he really? Surely if he wanted to come back(he won't), the owners would welcome him back with open arms. One of the best players in the world after all.

No the biting incident and the racism against Evra destroyed his reputation internally at the club (the Evra incident also contributed to Kenny getting the sack).

He also annoyed some people with how the second Arsenal come in he kicks up a fuss to leave.

Suarez is a true mercenary.

Moobabe

Pedro has multiple fractures (I guess in his jaw), will be wearing a mask to start the season.

Eurgh, yeah read this this morning - a real shame :(

The positive, though, with both he and Hazard injured is that Boga will probably get a load of minutes in pre-season now.

He looked good, but raw, vs Arsenal.

Naby Keita apparently was guilty of a "red card" worthy challenge on team mate during today's practice.

Also as expected Van Dijk is not included in Southampton's squad in France.

Rmagnus

Banned
No the biting incident and the racism against Evra destroyed his reputation internally at the club (the Evra incident also contributed to Kenny getting the sack).

He also annoyed some people with how the second Arsenal come in he kicks up a fuss to leave.

Suarez is a true mercenary.

Gladly welcome him back if it means helping liverpool push for a title chellange

And we wonder why everyone hates us so much.

I just get locked in Coutinho's eyes and can't find a reason.

Til he Mercenary's us and I'm filled with inconsolable rage. Hmm with if we really are mirroring Red Bull's approach with Barca does this mean Phil is breaking Lovren's knee?

CrayToes

I just get locked in Coutinho's eyes and can't find a reason.

Til he Mercenary's us and I'm filled with inconsolable rage. Hmm with if we really are mirroring Red Bull's approach with Barca does this mean Phil is breaking Lovren's knee?

Every cloud does have a silver lining I guess.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Every bid that Liverpool made for Keita was leaked to the press. That's practically no longer a negotiation but an extortion. Of course the player is feeling the pressure of this. He might as well be a dick though. But Liverpool dirty tactics are also playing a role in this.

caramac

Every bid that Liverpool made for Keita was leaked to the press. That's practically no longer a negotiation but an extortion. Of course the player is feeling the pressure of this. He might as well be a dick though. But Liverpool dirty tactics are also playing a role in this.

A club makes a bid for a player and it gets reported in the press?

Well damn, thats never happened before.

How is Liverpool playing dirty tactics? Every bid that was made for Naby was revealed by Redbull themselves. You can blame Liverpool for VvD but everything to do with Naby has been Redbull running their mouth.

T-Rex.

Banned
?

Nearly every bit of news regarding our bids etc came from the German press first. Makes sense for Liverpool to leak things to German papers while keeping the local ones in the dark...............

Liverpool are being blamed for a tackle made in training? You guys are crazy.
Yeah lmao. Klopp was on the phone to him last night telling him to body everyone in training.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A club makes a bid for a player and it gets reported in the press?

Well damn, thats never happened before.

It gets reported from time to time. But with Liverpool it seems a standard practice. The same happened with VVD.

How is Liverpool playing dirty tactics? Every bid that was made for Naby was revealed by Redbull themselves. You can blame Liverpool for VvD but everything to do with Naby has been Redbull running their mouth.

?

Nearly every bit of news regarding our bids etc came from the German press. Makes sense for Liverpool to leak things to German papers while keeping the local ones in the dark...............

Read back through this thread. Red Bull mostly reacted to news, not made the news themselves.

sammex

Van Dijk on strike and left behind from training camp, Keita murdering his team mates...

giphy.gif

It gets reported from time to time. But with Liverpool it seems a standard practice. The same happened with VVD.

lol do you know anything about football? Its a standard practice with every club. The VvD case is different because Liverpool were accused of briefing the press that VvD wanted to join Liverpool, not that they were going to bid on him. Keep up with the news fella.

Read back through this thread. Red Bull mostly reacted to news, not made the news themselves. You get plenty of British articles, like this one:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...70m-most-expensive-african-ever-a7808961.html

Which came from Germany and picked up by British press. Meaning it was being leaked by Redbull or someone in their camp. All those bids were reported in Germany first.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't get it, what's that supposed to prove? This is absolutely nothing like the Van Dijk situation.

There plenty of sources in this very thread from the Independent, Echo, twitter sources to BBC about Liverpool breaking the transfer record and every bid they made. If I have time later I can dig for them.

But sure, it's business as usual, all the clubs are doing all their transfers through the press.

lol do you know anything about football? .

Nothing at all, I was born yesterday and this is the first transfer window I follow. Also Liverpool is the God of transfers.

There plenty of sources in this very thread from the Independent, Echo, twitter sources to BBC about Liverpool breaking the transfer record and every bid they made. If I have time later I can dig for them.

But sure, it's business as usual, all the clubs are doing all their transfers through the press.

Ok I get it, you feel in the mood to troll. I'm bored at work anyway, I'll entertain you. Obviously you don't know much going by your reply.

Nothing at all, I was born yesterday and this is the first transfer window I follow. Also Liverpool is the God of transfers.

Good first step. At least you aren't in denial.

Van Dijk on strike and left behind from training camp, Keita murdering his team mates...

giphy.gif

Yes. But don't worry the bad guys always win!

In actuality I am worried all this summer fracas will stop people wanting to do business with us, but I guess that's how the world balances itself.

TimmmV

Come on dude, you have to be wilfully ignorant to think that this is only done by Liverpool.

Reporting on a club bidding for a player is basically all that is reported on about football during the summer period.

T-Rex.

Banned

Sure, I must have imagined reading about Man Utd failing to sign Morata, PSG being ready to smash the transfer record for Neymar, Man City having a bid rejected for Mendy etc. Don't get me wrong, I can understand criticising the club when it fucks up (as it did with the Van Dijk stuff) but thinking journalists reporting on football matters is comparable to the Van Dijk situation is bizarre.

Edit: FWIW, I agree that the club had a ridiculous policy of leaking shit to the press. This is known to all Liverpool fans. But the Keita situation isn't comparable at all, that's all. The majority of the info regarding the transfer has come from abroad mainly and it's RBL themselves that were briefing the press on this occasion.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Come on dude, you have to be wilfully ignorant to think that this is only done by Liverpool.

Reporting on a club bidding for a player is basically all that is reported on about football during the summer period.

I haven't said this is done only by Liverpool, though. What I said is that this is a common practice for most of Liverpool's transfers. Probably it's a coincidence that it happened for all their transfers this summer though and I'm just jumping to conclusions.

Beefy

The problem with Liverpool is their ex players , so many are all to ready to talk to the press. That and some one at Liverpool likes leaking stuff.

I haven't said this is done only by Liverpool, though. What I said is that this is a common practice for most of Liverpool's transfers. Probably it's a coincidence that it happened for all their transfers this summer though and I'm just jumping to conclusions.

What are you even talking about? It has happened for every single Man City transfer, every single man United transfer, every single Chelsea transfer, every PSG transfer etc etc. Either I was imagining things or you decided that you only wanted to focus on Liverpool.

CrayToes

The problem with Liverpool is their ex players , so many are all to ready to talk to the press. That and some one at Liverpool likes leaking stuff.

Plus the fact we're shit at actually getting deals done so they drag out for weeks/months on end which pisses everyone off even more.

Empty

pre-season is absolutely appalling. starved from actual football people are obsessively over-analysing a tackle in training, drawing conclusions from who players are following on instagram and slaughtering new transfers based solely on a couple of irrelevant money-spinning friendlies. ugh.

quite exciting if psg signed neymar for 220m or whatever though. reminds me of finding out that madrid had signed zidane for 47m and not being able to fathom the size of the fee. of course now it's just the cost of a good young fullback.

sammex

Websites like clicks, Liverpool gossip generates lots of clicks. That isn't a hard thing to understand. Our ex-players are also more interested in their own media careers than helping out the club by not commenting on the gossip, and again stuff from ex-players gets clicks so they get asked about the gossip. Nothing LFC can do about that.

Intentional/sanctioned leaks from the club happen very infrequently (and tend to be masking bad news). Last coordinated press leak by LFC was when suddenly all the papers had the VVD prefers a move to Liverpool news that pissed of Soton, and was done deliberately (idiotically) to scare off other bidders. Anything since then is just journalists doing their job and reporting what they get from their sources. It's not the same as the club putting things out in the press on purpose.

Top Bottom