• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

You're right, that was not worthy of my praise. :D
But I mean cut him some slack. He was pretty roughed up, especially in the beginning.

That actually reminded me of Borussia Dortmund 2010-2013 xD

Thats pretty basic heat from a man marking job. If you watch the Dortmund highlights vs how Thiago played him the clearest thing you can see is don't let him turn. If he turns he will beat almost anyone. But at the moment he doesn't have the skill to play the defenders off the ball so cause interference. He will step up though.

Dadasch

It's pretty irritating (respecively damning) how Leipzig could withstand such an offer for so long.
Mateschitz (Red Bull Owner) shows that he is ready to invest in great numbers to satisfy his best players.

It will be rough for Borussia Dortmund...

Thats pretty basic heat from a man marking job. If you watch the Dortmund highlights vs how Thiago played him the clearest thing you can see is don't let him turn. If he turns he will beat almost anyone. But at the moment he doesn't have the skill to play the defenders off the ball so cause interference. He will step up though.

He was doubled and even trippled a couple of times. That's not really basic, they were out for him.

sammex

I'm not worried about Coutinho - I doubt he'll go.

(from bottom up)

tumblr_oto16nl8df1t0grs4o2_540.png

tumblr_oto16nl8df1t0grs4o1_540.png

King_Moc

Banned
I'm not worried about Coutinho - I doubt he'll go.

(from bottom up)

tumblr_oto16nl8df1t0grs4o2_540.png

tumblr_oto16nl8df1t0grs4o1_540.png

The Neymar condition bit makes it sound like balls to me tbh. I know their friends and all, but that's not gonna be the thing that stops him taking a several hundred thousand pound a week payrise.

Rumours flying about Chelsea going for Everton's Tom Davis. Really don't see Everton letting him go, certainly not after they pushed Rooney out due to finances.

TimmmV

Few radio stations in Catalunya saying Coutinho has agreed to join Barca

There's no way Barca would be bidding for him if they hadn't more or less agreed terms and that he was ok to join them

I think what matters more here is whether he wants to join them hard enough to burn his bridges with Klopp/LFC, or whether LFC need the money from selling Coutinho to buy VvD/Keita, and would actually be fine selling him if Barca bid enough

My guess is that Coutinho wont try and burn his bridges, and Klopp will want to keep him, but its still Barca, so wouldnt be totally surprised to see him go

Would expect them to pay over £100m though, given that he only signed a new contract with no release clause a few months ago

That was an embarrassing loss vs Bayern today. We were awful in first 30 minutes of each half. Pretty much how we have played UCL for last 2 years we were in it. I hope Conte rectifies it in actual matches,

My guess is that Coutinho wont try and burn his bridges, and Klopp will want to keep him, but its still Barca, so wouldnt be totally surprised to see him go

If it becomes clear he will be going certain press and management within LFC will do that for him. Shame really.

There's no way Barca would be bidding for him if they hadn't more or less agreed terms and that he was ok to join them

I think what matters more here is whether he wants to join them hard enough to burn his bridges with Klopp/LFC, or whether LFC need the money from selling Coutinho to buy VvD/Keita, and would actually be fine selling him if Barca bid enough

Would expect them to pay over £100m though, given that he only signed a new contract with no release clause a few months ago

Just this week Italian papers were saying Juventus had agreed personal terms with Emre Can, but now they are saying Juventus are looking elsewhere because he has agreed to sign a bumper deal with Liverpool. Never believe what the papers are saying.

RocknRola

Yes. Ronaldo 96-98 was ( still is) the best player of modern era of Football. Unfortunately injuries affected his career. Messi ( Cr7 too ) is fucking insane because he has been at the top of the game since 2009.

This season (2017-2018) will mark a full decade since the rise of CR7 and Messi to the very top of the World of Football. CR's first Ballon D'Or was in 2008.

Absolutely insane. These two marked an era unlike any other in the sport.

DBT85

Its crazy. Had they not both been here at the same time one would have won probably every balloon for 7 or 8 years straight.

cyber_ninja

Super excited to attend United vs Barca tomorrow in DC. I'm going with three friends of mine who happen to be Barca fans, it's gonna be fun, lol. It will be my first time watching United play, can't wait.

TeddyBoy

My first kid is due in 4 weeks and she'll be a United fan like her dad and her uncle and her Grandad. Who the fuck can she aspire to play for if that's what she wants to dream of as a kid. Since we live in the midlands she can have Villa or Birmingham. Great.

Congratulations! :)

Sky 'sources' saying Van Dijk will join Liverpool this week. Get it done

Shit I meant to say fuck Liverpool I hate you

I don't think anything has actually changed so I'd be surprised if anything happens with him right now.

GHG

Rumours flying about Chelsea going for Everton's Tom Davis. Really don't see Everton letting him go, certainly not after they pushed Rooney out due to finances.

Would be a stupid move for him unless Conte would envisage him as a RWB to replace Moses (he's got a very good engine). He wouldn't play enough otherwise.

Moobabe

Would be a stupid move for him unless Conte would envisage him as a RWB to replace Moses (he's got a very good engine). He wouldn't play enough otherwise.

Nah, if we went for him (big if) it would be as one of 4 options for midfield. Fabregas was exposed yesterday and can't play in a 2 Vs great opposition.

There's talk of playing 3, with Fab as a number 10 in behind 2 strikers for some games as well.

TimmmV

If it becomes clear he will be going certain press and management within LFC will do that for him. Shame really.

Depends how its done - Liverpool respected Alonso and Suarez leaving because they clearly always tried their best and were going to bigger clubs like Madrid/Barca

They hated Torres/Sterling because they spent 6 months sulking around and playing like shit, before forcing a move out to domestic
and smaller ;-)
rivals.

If Coutinho goes, I think most of the anger by fans will be directed at FSG for allowing it to happen

Just this week Italian papers were saying Juventus had agreed personal terms with Emre Can, but now they are saying Juventus are looking elsewhere because he has agreed to sign a bumper deal with Liverpool. Never believe what the papers are saying.

I don't really have much faith in Can staying tbh, the whole thing is reminding me of the Owen -> Madrid situation

faridmon

What the fuck?

So every kid who gets a good season with us is going to be linked with other clubs now?

but the amount of money you'd get to reinvest in the squad would be great. Is Coutinho leaving the end of the world with Mane, Firmino, Salah, Sturridge, Lallana, Origi...?

But if the owners do end up selling him after Klopp said he had a talk with him and he didn't want to go, that would make Klopp look bad. That would cause friction with him and the owners. I don't think Klopp would be the type of manager you want to have problems with. Greedy American owners being greedy.

Also all these reports are coming from Barcelona base media.

TimmmV

but the amount of money you'd get to reinvest in the squad would be great. Is Coutinho leaving the end of the world with Mane, Firmino, Salah, Sturridge, Lallana, Origi...?

Coutinho is a really important player though, and you cant keep doing that forever either. If we ever want to challenge for titles we need to be keeping our best players

If Spurs can do it while paying their players less than Liverpool do, there is no reason why it shouldn't be possible either.

Syder

Coutinho is a really important player though, and you cant keep doing that forever either. If we ever want to challenge for titles we need to be keeping our best players

If Spurs can do it while paying their players less than Liverpool do, there is no reason why it shouldn't be possible either.
If a club comes in and the player wants to go there's not a whole lot you can do, especially when it's Barcelona.

If a club comes in and the player wants to go there's not a whole lot you can do, especially when it's Barcelona.

There is a lot the club can do especially if he still has 4 + years remaining on his contract. Just look at Leipzig with Naby and Southampton with Virgil. By the time his contract his up, he will be 29 years old. Plus Coutinho isn't the type to kick up stink and technically he isn't pushing for a move. It's really down to the club saying "Lets just take the money". With world cup coming up do you think Coutinho will try and kick up stink and being banished like Sakho has? Klopp will be the type of guy to do it

Thank god for that

What I meant is that, I thought we were past it. We have a major financial backing, why would we sell?

Just because you have major financial backing doesn't mean owners don't still want money. In the end it's all about business.

Syder

What I meant is that, I thought we were past it. We have a major financial backing, why would we sell?
I mean, at this point it's just a rumour. Like I said earlier, if a club comes in and the player wants out, there's not much you can do.

If I were you, I'd be less worried about losing Davies because he clearly loves the club and could probably predict not getting played at Chelsea.

TimmmV

Yeah, it depends on how much the player wants to burn their bridges. If he starts refusing to play like Mascherano did then there isn't much that can be done, Coutinho doesn't seem like that kind of player though, so keeping him might be easier.

Yeah, it depends on how much the player wants to burn their bridges. If he starts refusing to play like Mascherano did then there isn't much that can be done, Coutinho doesn't seem like that kind of player though, so keeping him might be easier.

Still really crap for a player if they want to be gone and forced to stay. Its very rare for a player to stay at the top of their game in those circumstances. Especially if they have agreed terms with another club.

The only time I have ever seen that situation work out well (that I can remember) was the case of de Gea where the deal failed to go through on time. But the rumours of him leaving have never stopped.

Top Bottom