• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Ye, all the deets here.

Cheers.

Tune in and City score
martin3.png

No more football for you this season.

Tuturu Jones

Neo Member
Well, it looks like this will be a fun season. United now has massive pressure to deliver something after a big summer, Arsenal and Tottenham outchoking each other, Klopp under pressure from the ever demanding Liverpool fans and finally, will Guardiola continue to experiment or will he realize the league isn't as forgiving?

I hope Boro win the league.

Hasney

Well, fair play to Gary for presenring in his pants. Have to be a helluva presenter to get away with that with a straight face because Wrighty and Shearer couldn't.

I was very pleased with that City performance even though it was rough around the edges and perhaps boring to a non City fan or those who enjoys leggy footy (I hate that shit). The pressing made me happy and more so that it never stopped which covered a lot of the defensive weaknesses. Hope a centre system come together soonish otherwise that could be a problem and also that Hart fights back or a better keeper is brought in because I thought Willy really looked weak. I know it isn't his style but Pep really needs to find a more direct and cutting attack in the prem as build up takes too long especially how deep some teams sit, Silva and KdB can do that but today it felt like they were overworking everything. Don't think there were any negatives to take form that game, areas to sure up especially the passing but with a system so radically different that is to be expected. If Pep can keep improving on that then happy days.

Lunar FC

Not from me, because he would be winning it after the stunning Leicester season with an oil-funded Manchester City team that won it two seasons ago.

Give me a break, this city team is in no way overly superior to any team in the league. Yall just have some crazy bias against pep that I will never understand.

Tuturu Jones

Neo Member
Give me a break, this city team is in no way overly superior to any team in the league. Yall just have some crazy bias against pep that I will never understand.

Don't talk nonsense, Aguero is the best striker in the league and the rest of the team is fairly talented, they're only issue is the lack of a holding midfield, sure their transfer policy has been weird lately but it's obvious they just don't have the pulling power of Chelsea or United.

Honestly, I don't have any bias against him but he's won his trophies with Barcelona and Bayern, stacked, rich teams that dominate their leagues and with other managers doing great things with much less available, I don't see why he should get that much praise.

Syder

Honestly, I don't have any bias against him but he's won his trophies with Barcelona and Bayern, stacked, rich teams that dominate their leagues and with other managers doing great things with much less available, I don't see why he should get that much praise.
pep001.png
Anti-Guardiola narrative baffles me.

Tuturu Jones

Neo Member
Nice argument. He coached a Barcelona team with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta at their absolute peak a nice Spanish core that was winning things on their own, literally the easiest job in management. Pep, not satisfied, then went on to coach Bayern, a team that had just won the treble and literally won it's league by 25 points before his tenure, sadly he was always exposed in the Champions League as a manager that always needs his players to bail him out and with no tactical knowledge whatsoever.

So yeah, I do hope he has a hard time in the english league, he'll either get even more exposed or shut my mouth, I guess? The City job is definitely the hardest one he has taken, for what it's worth.

DBT85

The City job is definitely the hardest one he has taken, for what it's worth.
That's not even a doubt, this is the first job he's had where he actually has more than 1 team to worry about.

If he takes City and wins well then he'll be worthy of all the praise.

Obviously, if he had won things with Athletico or Dortmund, there would be a lot less questions of his ability to do it in the PL.

T-Rex.

Banned
No he didn't. He took over a Barca team that was ridiculously unprofessional, got rid of club legends like Deco, Ronaldinho, signed Alves, Keita, Pique (a nobody at the time), promoted Busquets, promoted Pedro, decided to built the team around Xavi/Iniesta, switched Messi (who was always destined for the top tbf) to a false 9 which was pretty rare at the time. And that's ignoring how he completely changed the play style of the team and smashed multiple records in the process. Didn't they finish like 3rd or something the season before he took over? He really doesn't get the credit he deserves for the job he did at Barca. If you think all those things were obvious or inevitable, I really don't agree.

Catching up on MOTD, Lineker the cop out, he said PANTS. I was expecting bollock stranglers or belly smackers and he essentially wore shorts.

Injustica.

Audioboxer

Catching up on MOTD, Lineker the cop out, he said PANTS. I was expecting bollock stranglers or belly smackers and he essentially wore shorts.

Injustica.

Hah, many people said that but to be fair 2 things

a) Let the guy have some respect left. It's a show seen by millions and I doubt many on here would want all the potential penis size memes involved with going on live TV with tight y-fronts.

b) The BBC are decent to even allow it. You'd expect as not to get "concerned citizen complaints" they would just say no to Gary. I bet you any money some majestic middle aged mum/dad has complained to the BBC that the "nudity" involved was offensive, and MOTD should be a family show.

In other news an interview with Zlat is being shown in 25 mins on Sky Sports 1.

Beefy

So Utd have bid £10m for Fonte...

Also footballers are scum.

Sheffield Wednesday manager has shone some light on the impasse surrounding Fernando Forestieri. Derby had an offer for the 26-year-old rebuffed last week and are expected to come back with an improved offer.

Speaking after the Owls 0-0 draw with Norwich at Carrow Road, manager Carlos Carvalhal said Forestieri had effectively gone on strike.

"He came up to me before that game and said he wanted a chat," said the Owls boss. "He told me he didn't want to play against Villa but we talked it through and he had a change of mind and ended up scoring our winner.

"We then trained with Fernando as usual, preparing for the Norwich game, and then he spoke to me again and said he didn't want play. This time he didn't change his mind and we had to do without him.

Blackhead

Redarse
No he didn't. He took over a Barca team that was ridiculously unprofessional, got rid of club legends like Deco, Ronaldinho, signed Alves, Keita, Pique (a nobody at the time), promoted Busquets, promoted Pedro, decided to built the team around Xavi/Iniesta, switched Messi (who was always destined for the top tbf) to a false 9 which was pretty rare at the time. And that's ignoring how he completely changed the play style of the team and smashed multiple records in the process. Didn't they finish like 3rd or something the season before he took over? He really doesn't get the credit he deserves for the job he did at Barca. If you think all those things were obvious or inevitable, I really don't agree.

lol please. A few players were unprofessional and lazy but that Barca team still managed to reach the semi-finals of the CL, losing 1-0 on aggregate to the eventual champions Man Utd (just like this City team still reached the CL semi-finals losing 1-0 on aggregate to the eventual champions Real Madrid); the raw talent was/is there. Even after getting rid of Ronaldinho/Deco he still inherited a god-tier forward line in Eto, Henry and Messi (nb: messi didn't actually move to the false 9 position in the first season). The starters Barca bought in Alves (won UEFA cup twice with Sevilla) and Pique (first choice sub CB with Man Utd where he just won the CL) and promoted in Busquets (the only one I'll give Pep credit for although he also had Yaya Toure as significant alternative). Keita and Pedro were subs. The spine of the team that Pep inherited at Barca in Valves-Puyol-Xavi/Iniesta-Eto/Messi had all won the league and CL three years prior as starters.

Pep Guardiola revolutionized the game with his passing and pressing philosophy. I greatly respect him for that. That wasn't inevitable -- although perhaps obvious. It's a lot easier to have a freedom position philosophy of 'trust your teammates' when it's xavi/iniesta spraying those passes to henry/eto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB9jpteTgH0

instead of being stuck with Rooney in midfield or passing the ball to Walcott

https://youtu.be/Lnd5Vr17Pw0

At Barca and Bayern, Pep took over great teams and was able to buy any player he wanted there including from direct rivals. How different would Mourinho's last year had been if he had been able to buy Stones? Or Wenger's few years had been if he had gotten Suarez? At Man City Pep again has as much financial backing as he wants. Pep still does wonderful work into making his teams play attractive and successful football but it's like inheriting 700 million dollars and then boasting you turned it into a billion; that's just blowing your own trumpet for no good reason.

Frankly Pep should be winning the league with Man City every season. The real challenge for Pep is winning the CL. It's somewhat amazing that after all these years of top-tier managers in Premier League that just Ferguson, Benitez and Di Matteo have been able to win the CL -- and only Ferguson was able to do the Double/Treble as Benitez and Di Matteo had to sacrifice the Premiership and focus soley on the CL (their Liverpool and Chelsea finished 5th and 6th respectively).

If Pep can win the Double (CL+Premiership) then he'll have a lot more credit. If after that he goes to Italy (perhaps Roma who he played for) and wins them the SeriaA/CL then Pep can join conversations for being the best ever.

Hah, many people said that but to be fair 2 things

a) Let the guy have some respect left. It's a show seen by millions and I doubt many on here would want all the potential penis size memes involved with going on live TV with tight y-fronts.

b) The BBC are decent to even allow it. You'd expect as not to get "concerned citizen complaints" they would just say no to Gary. I bet you any money some majestic middle aged mum/dad has complained to the BBC that the "nudity" involved was offensive, and MOTD should be a family show.

In other news an interview with Zlat is being shown in 25 mins on Sky Sports 1.

No time for reason, this is scandalous. I'm thinking of starting a hashtag in disgust.

#thecockoutcopout.

Just playing of course, you're right, and it was good of him to him to go through with it.

Ridiculously excited for today's match, i imagine it'll be the same side that started against Barca bar Moreno for Milner. Interested in seeing Lallana in midfield again, gives me hope we might see Coutinho there in future.

Tosyn_88

There is nothing else to explain this but Salt, massive dose of Salt. If people want to discuss facts, then perhaps they should begin to look into facts about the actual position of all parties involved but all I have read here has been nothing but Salt. As far as I am concerned, the EPL should be getting the best players, not selling the best players to LaLiga.
Barcelona and Madrid get about 40% of the overall TV deal rights over there and they also get the support of the government so they can pay high fee but as with everything, there is an end in sight. The EPL is way popular than LaLiga globally and the new money is a result of that, to me that is what football should be like, everyone should have a fair shot. This is the reason Spurs can fight off interest for Harry Kane, why Everton can fend off interest for Lukaku, everyone should have a chance, not just some dominant Two or one.
This is the beginning of a shift in my own opinion, if all trends are to be considered, Gabriel Jesus choose City over Madrid and Barcelona and we will continue to see this trend in the next few years, every new prodigy will sign for EPL clubs 70% of the time because right now, Madrid and Barca will either have to pony up and pay inflated prices or watch all those talent go to EPL, people can say players don't want money but you have to naïve to think they don't consider money a lot in their decisions. In fact I would say, considering the age group of Ronaldo, Messi, Iniesta, Modric and co, LaLiga should be worried.

T-Rex.

Banned
Rumours going around that Can might miss the game today, nooooooooooooo.

Pep Guardiola revolutionized the game with his passing and pressing philosophy. I greatly respect him for that. That wasn't inevitable -- although perhaps obvious. It's a lot easier to have a freedom position philosophy of 'trust your teammates' when it's xavi/iniesta spraying those passes to henry/eto
So, ultimately you agree with me though. What he achieved at Barca does get downplayed. I agree with you that to be considered a success at City he needs to do better in the CL tbh.

Top Bottom