• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT2| Fractured but Ox

Jimrpg

I thought koeman did a nice job last year because he seemed to bring a lot of discipline and the players seemed to respect him.

Then they started experimenting with three at the back (late last year) and this year to accommodate Jags, Williams, Keane (and Funes Mori). That’s left them short in the middle. Lukaku papered over the gaps last year because he’d get them out of trouble.

This year he’s gone for experience over young guys and he’s tried to play too many new guys at once.

He used to be real tough on them last year when speaking to the media and now he can’t say enough good things about them. He’s totally lost the players in my opinion so with a bit more than a year to go, he’s probably gone after the Arsenal game.

NHale

I still think Koeman is a good manager but they had a terrible summer transfer window besides Pickford. They brought 3 players (Rooney, Sigurdsson and Klaasen) that don't have a lot of pace and they were starting all 3 at the front at the same time. Then they lost Lukaku and were convinced they were getting Giroud but then he decided to stay. Then they convinced they were getting Diego Costa on loan for 6 months but then Atletico Madrid figured it out it was better to make the deal after the window was closed and in the end they were stuck with Calvert-Lewin, Sandro and Vlasic. You can't replace Lukaku with that.

They are playing badly but I still think it's the lack of a proven striker and pace up front that are dooming them. Bolasie coming back from injury will solve some problems but they still need more there. Maybe play Mirallas-Bolasie-Sigurdsson behind the striker. The striker problem isn't going to be fixed until the summer though. They are fucked in that regard.

Harry Redknapp is out of work too, and he loves a job in London

Imagine the bungs he could get at Chelsea

Niko Kranjcar always looked good in blue.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Yea saw that earlier. Actually feel bad for him.

I still think Koeman is a good manager but they had a terrible summer transfer window besides Pickford. They brought 3 players (Rooney, Sigurdsson and Klaasen) that don't have a lot of pace and they were starting all 3 at the front at the same time. Then they lost Lukaku and were convinced they were getting Giroud but then he decided to stay. Then they convinced they were getting Diego Costa on loan for 6 months but then Atletico Madrid figured it out it was better to make the deal after the window was closed and in the end they were stuck with Calvert-Lewin, Sandro and Vlasic. You can't replace Lukaku with that.

They are learning the same lesson that Spurs and Liverpool did before them. You can't replace a world class player with 4 average players and expect to be okay. A world class player wins you at least 10-15 points a season. Obviously these clubs are not in a position to replace these players like for like, but it's probably better to overpay for a very good player than buy 3 or 4 average players. You could maybe argue Everton did this with Siggi, but IMO he is far too old and his best form is behind him.

DBT85

I think Siggi with Lukaku would have been fine. Hell anyone with pace and it would have been better.

Rooney cannot stretch defences any more. At all.

DBT85

Doubt he can stretch his own legs either

watch him run
img-6.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This was hinted upon earlier in the season as well. Would be great to have him at United. He is nothing but class, imo.

He hasn't been class in a long time, I don't think he would be an automatic starter in that United team. I honestly don't know what elite team he would fit into right now.

DBT85

I think its still there, but its soooo deep down I don';t know if Mou, Conte, Simeone or Pep could drag it out of him.

Markitron

I think its still there, but its soooo deep down I don';t know if Mou, Conte, Simeone or Pep could drag it out of him.

I could see him being a decent replacement for Coutinho, I think Klopp would have a good go at getting him back to his best. Atletico is a decent shout actually. There's no way Griezmann is staying, Ozil and Costa could be decent combo. Pretty good article on him right here.

https://www.unibet.co.uk/blog/footb...from-scapegoat-to-pariah-this-season-1.953354

DBT85

Got PL World playing out here at work and its about Claudio Ranieri. Despite watching United lift a lot of trophies over the last 27 years, seeing Bocelli sing at the Leicester title ceremony is still one of gooseplimplyest moment ever in football.

T-Rex.

Banned
I haven't really been impressed with Mkhitaryan in like 80% of the games I've seen him play for your lot, would Ozil not be an upgrade?

DBT85

I haven't really been impressed with Mkhitaryan in like 80% of the games I've seen him play for your lot, would Ozil not be an upgrade?

Many think he would in terms of final ball and decisions in the final 1/3rd. Miki at times has been terrible for those. Could easily have had more goals or assists.

Miki does at least run around though. lol

Markitron

Mkhitaryan seems a lot like Ozil in what little I have seen, really good sometimes but frequently in terrible form.

TimmmV

I could see him being a decent replacement for Coutinho, I think Klopp would have a good go at getting him back to his best. Atletico is a decent shout actually. There's no way Griezmann is staying, Ozil and Costa could be decent combo. Pretty good article on him right here.

https://www.unibet.co.uk/blog/footb...from-scapegoat-to-pariah-this-season-1.953354

There's no way we'd pay his reported wage demands, even if it would be good to see what Klopp could do with him

DBT85

Don't forget, rejecting £300k at Arsenal isn't the same as he wants £350k. I think its quite likely that he just doesn't want to be at Arsenal any more like Sanchez, irrespective of the offer on the table.

They both came in and everyone was like "shit, they spent money. happening.gif" and then it didn't.

OT, anyone else just love Wright as a pundit talking about football? lol.

Jarnet87

Many think he would in terms of final ball and decisions in the final 1/3rd. Miki at times has been terrible for those. Could easily have had more goals or assists.

Mkhi has done most of his damage on the counter and in tons of space. Even then he turns it over and holds on just a couple seconds too long and misses opportunities. In games where it’s tight or Mou sets up to defend he’s just a turnover machine. A motivated Ozil, even Mata through the middle would be an improvement over Mkh in games where teams sit back And defend IMO.

T-Rex.

Banned

It's weird, it's like with us and Wijnaldum where it's like he's actively hiding at times.

Mkhitaryan seems a lot like Ozil in what little I have seen, really good sometimes but frequently in terrible form.
Definitely.

DBT85

Mkhi has done most of his damage on the counter and in tons of space. Even then he turns it over and holds on just a couple seconds too long and misses opportunities. In games where it’s tight or Mou sets up to defend he’s just a turnover machine. A motivated Ozil, even Mata through the middle would be an improvement over Mkh in games where teams sit back And defend IMO.

So you're saying whynotboth.gif ?

Markitron

There's no way we'd pay his reported wage demands, even if it would be good to see what Klopp could do with him

I think those demands are specifically to stay at Arsenal, regardless there are not many clubs that will pay that, that don't already have a better player in his position. His reputation has nosedived in the last 2 years.

And yes I would be very interested to see how Klopp could improve him.

Don't forget, rejecting £300k at Arsenal isn't the same as he wants £350k. I think its quite likely that he just doesn't want to be at Arsenal any more like Sanchez, irrespective of the offer on the table.

They both came in and everyone was like "shit, they spent money. happening.gif" and then it didn't.

Didn't see this when I replied, this is a better way of putting it.

OT, anyone else just love Wright as a pundit talking about football? lol.

No because he can barely speak English. I once watched a discussion show on Sky Sports that featured him and Pardew and it was like listening to a conversation between Chas and Dave

DBT85

Kloppo has made 26 changes to his starting 11 this year, 7 more than second placed Conte with 19.

No because he can barely speak English. I once watched a discussion show on Sky Sports that featured him and Pardew and it was like listening to a conversation between Chas and Dave

Ha. I kind of like that about 'im!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
John Cross is reporting something feisty <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:56.25000000000001% 70.83333333333334%;background-size:4900%" data-codepoints="1f914"></span></span>

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...nals-mesut-ozil-confident-manchester-11372776

Wow if this is true then ozil can fuck off. Putting in crap performances then asking for over 300,000 a week. Then wants to leave because he's annoyed that the squad isn't good enough. The hell is his problem?

John Cross is a melt, I doubt it's true

and if it is, honestly who cares? Ozil barely shows up, we may as well field 10 players at times

DBT85

Aguero could become Citys all time top scorer this weekend. One goal equals the 77 year old record set by Eric Brook of 177 goals, 2 goals will beat it.

Orgen

I'll be at Liverpool this weekend and I wanted to know if there's any bar/pub where I could watch the Valencia - Sevilla match on Saturday.

And seeing that Liverpool and MU don't play at home this weekend... Is it worth going to the etihad to see the City game?

Thanks in advance! :D

DBT85

Should have given the kid a lifetime season ticket too lol

Not sure you'll get into the Emptihad, it's usually packed.

pbsapeer

Banned
Should have given the kid a lifetime season ticket too lol

Not sure you'll get into the Emptihad, it's usually packed.
&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;
Look for the spare Man City seats, those empty blue Man City seats, and still you think you might expand your ground, i mean ...

Markitron

And seeing that Liverpool and MU don't play at home this weekend... Is it worth going to the etihad to see the City game?

I'm sure the football will be good, but you will be watching it in a vacuum, and the atmosphere is half the fun.

Everton V Arsenal is bound to be far more entertaining for a number of reasons, and you will be in the city already, I'd go to that.

I'll be at Liverpool this weekend and I wanted to know if there's any bar/pub where I could watch the Valencia - Sevilla match on Saturday.

Thanks in advance! :D

If you are going to the Etihad make sure you don't try and buy a ticket on the day, you can't buy them legally on the day and scammers are everywhere online targeting tourists. But you should be able to pick up a ticket through official channels and cheaper than most. The Etihad is really easy to visit if coming by train as it is pretty much a straight walk from Piccadilly station. (There is a shortcut that makes it even quicker but I don't want it getting shut down as I use it all the time and very few people know about it). The other posters clearly know fuck all about the atmosphere at the Etihad its actually decent (CL nights can be a bit shit though). Oh yeah its about £25 return from Liverpool to Manchester by train.

Don't know about places to watch Spanish games in Liverpool but if you want to watch Liverpool play go to Camp and Furness. Also check out the Baltic Market for food as it is just around the corner and great. Just go to the Baltic Triangle anyway it isn't a tourist place and not in a usual area of Liverpool but has some of the best food and drink you can get in the city.

Markitron

If you are going to the Etihad make sure you don't try and buy a ticket on the day, you can't buy them legally on the day and scammers are everywhere online targeting tourists. But you should be able to pick up a ticket through official channels and cheaper than most. The Etihad is really easy to visit if coming by train as it is pretty much a straight walk from Piccadilly station. (There is a shortcut that makes it even quicker but I don't want it getting shut down as I use it all the time and very few people know about it). The other posters clearly know fuck all about the atmosphere at the Etihad its actually decent (CL nights can be a bit shit though). Oh yeah its about £25 return from Liverpool to Manchester by train.

You must be able to see where people are coming from. Getting tickets legally the day before isn't normal, at least not with Liverpool (wouldn't know about the other big clubs). Also the CL is when the best teams play there and the world is watching.

DBT85

Conte

"We are working 70% less this season. We are playing every two days, it's impossible and we are paying for this.

"When you play every three days it's impossible to work on the tactical aspect and physical aspect.

I think we all tried to tell him that.

Markitron

Conte

I think we all tried to tell him that.

What is it with managers whining about things that every other club has to deal with too? Chelsea are the last team that should be complaining about fixtures, what with their huge squad and a continent full of stockpiled youngsters.

DBT85

What is it with managers whining about things that every other club has to deal with too? Chelsea are the last team that should be complaining about fixtures, what with their huge squad and a continent full of stockpiled youngsters.

All on loan innit. was 24 players on loan last I saw.

It's as predicted though. A half decent team with no Europe should win the league. Arsenal could really have done with not having Europa this year. Same for Liverpool imo.

Having to do both is a whole different challenge.

You must be able to see where people are coming from. Getting tickets legally the day before isn't normal, at least not with Liverpool (wouldn't know about the other big clubs). Also the CL is when the best teams play there and the world is watching.

It depends what the team is, I was going to look myself if there were tickets available but cant remember my password and too lazy. Burnley I would suspect you would be able to get a single corner seat, if it's a standard top half team you wouldn't be able to. Might be a bit different this season as the lower half have been goal fests but haven't had the chance to go to a game so far this season.

CL is always full of tourists completely different crowd from the weekend.

He is whining because he called this from way before the season even started, if the board failed to get the targets he wanted. Chelsea's squad is not very big at all, and there's a clear strategy in place for loaning out youngsters that Conte does not have much of a say in. He is left with a small squad, a lot of failed transfer targets and a team that is not really improved over last seasons squad. You can argue all you want about how they should get on with it and work just as hard as last season, but you just know this won't be the case with players here, just like with Mou at Chelsea we saw how this won't be the case after a won league title. It's the Chelsea cycle repeating. Be successful, have board tell manager that everything is fine and be happy, crash and burn, hire hiddink/avram grant/whatever trash is available for the rest of the season, get new manager that is promised full support from board.

Top Bottom