• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor: Reviewers Reporting Frame Rate Problems With 'CoD: Ghosts' On PS4

Dukey

Banned
So this Forbes "contributor" is just an Xbox fanboy and apologist (perhaps even a shill for Microsoft?), and writes articles to put the PS4 in the most negative light possible.

This kind of stuff makes me sick to my stomach.

Does it make you equally as sick when someone cherry picks quotes to make someone look biased when they're actually not?

fallagin

It would be interesting if xbox one version experiences similar problems. It would pretty much be case in point why embargoes are such a powerful force in the industry.

Woffls

So this is hyperbole? That description makes it sound pretty bad. Why would they let the game "slow down to a crawl" instead of sacrificing res like on the X1? Doesn't make sense.
Really? Because it helped a lot of people form their next-gen decision, and "a few frame drops here and there"* is far less significant than " 1080p is so many more peas than 720p"*.

*not actual quotes.

Crisco

Banned
Not a surprise considering the PC version does as well. I'm sure the XBO version will be no different. This is a terrible series, with terrible graphics, and it should die a painful death. All hail Battlefield 4.

UberTag

I know many people were reluctant to say so beforehand because it didn't fit the narrative, but considering that even the Playstation 4 version has issues, is it safe to say that developer incompetency is at least part of the problem in the case of COD: Ghost?
Seeing how this is an Activision developer should any of us be all that surprised?

Lol really, really reaching there aren't you?

You forgot his articles on:

"They 5 Best Reasons For Buying The PS4 Instead Of A Xbox One"

"Call Of Duty' Creators Explain Why The Resolution Is Lower On Xbox One"

Confirmed -- 'Call Of Duty: Ghosts' Runs At A Lower Native Resolution On Xbox One

Here's Every Game You Can Buy For The PS4 At Launch

PS4 Beating Xbox One In Holiday Shopping Poll

The PS4 Will Be Sony's Cheapest Playstation Yet

Oh but he posts one bit of negative news you question a bit, so you decide to pull up his history (which is rather fair and balanced for both sides), and try to point out him for being biased it seems? If you aren't trying to do this, my apologizes, but that's what I read your post as. A passive aggressive questions of where he stands for both systems.

EDIT: You guys are agreeing with him on this? Some users here are already discrediting the man and his article and asking "to close the thread" because someone posted a completely one-sided listing of some of the positive Xbox One articles he's made? He's made just as many positive PS4 articles, he's trying to be a news reporter, a journalist. He's reporting stories for both sides, he's doing a good attempt at this. There is no bias and there is no reason to discredit him. Come on, some of you guys need to lighten up.

fair point dude, That was "disingenuous"(games journalists go to words for 100 Alex)of the original poster.

I don't mean to sound like I'm in some sort of denial here since I detest this franchise every since CoD:MW but I just feel like there's no excuse for IW to make the PS4 version run worse. The PS4 isn't hard and dissimilar to develop for like the PS3 and only has more raw power so how in the hell would you be able to mess it up? It seems weird to me that IW which has loads and loads of cash behind it wouldn't be able to make such a mediocre looking game run decent on the PS4 while apparently maintaining 60 fps on the XONE.

We don't know that it maintains 60fps on X1. I'd be surprised if it does given what we're seeing here.

Gotta love detective gaf

This Detective Gaf?

tumblr_m3g925DS5x1qd7m1so1_500.jpg

Jomjom

Banned
Framerate is much easier to see than resolution differences. It's not like they are shitting on the PS4 version, so its not like "emphasized PS4 issues", they are just reporting what they saw. Does everything have to be some sort of conspiracy?

I agree with you if we are saying one version is running at 60 fps and one is dropping to 30 fps. This is obviously not the case with the PS4 version. This is really "much" easier to see than resolution difference?

It's been confirmed by DF that the Xbox One version of BF4 drops frames and does not run on as steady a framerate as the PS4 version. How come I didn't see any articles from these same outlets mentioning that? They saw these framerate drops so clearly, but failed to see it or mention it with BF4?

I'm perfectly fine with reporting what they see, but how about being consistent about reporting what they see?

Slime

Banned
Some links more relevant to the topic at hand:

”Much has been said about the fact that the PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at a native 1080p, and while that may be true, the game did struggle to maintain a steady frame rate, especially in hectic multiplayer matches. The PS3 version of the game ran into similar problems, whereas the Xbox 360 version maintained a steady 60 frames per second.”

"On the current-gen versions Ghosts looks nearly identical, though I did encounter occasional framerate issues during the single-player campaign on PS3 and PS4."

”A key pillar of the Call of Duty experience has always been rock-solid 60 frames per seconds gameplay. On Xbox 360, Ghosts maintains this mandate. The PlayStation 4 version, however, has noticeable technical issues, sometimes slowing to a crawl, particularly during set-piece moments with multiple effects. One specific moment I was able to replicate multiple times on PS4 was a campaign scene that ran smoothly on Xbox 360 and PS3, while the game chugged On PlayStation 4. These frame rate hitches happen throughout the campaign on PS4 and, in a series known for its Hollywood-inspired bombast, it detracted from the experience.”

"Additionally, the PlayStation 4 version has a handful of noticeable dips in its frame rate. This usually seemed to happen when a lot of smoke or other effects were on-screen, but occasionally it occurred in multiplayer for reasons I couldn't even guess at. Judging graphics on a brand-new platform can be tough, since we don't have a lot to compare it with at this point, but I will say that I had hoped that it would look a little better across the board."

bud

I know many people were reluctant to say so beforehand because it didn't fit the narrative, but considering that even the Playstation 4 version has issues, is it safe to say that developer incompetency is at least part of the problem in the case of COD: Ghost?

it's entirely down to developer incompetency.

whether or not the xbox is underpowered, with the the this game looks, it has no business of not running in 1080p at 60fps.

hesido

Maybe they have upped the resolution of PS4 to match the framerate of Xbox One. And if Xbox One's framerates turn out to be better, having 1080p on Ps4 was a very bad decision on IW's part.

In any case, I'd rather have the solid 60fps at lower resolutions, thank you.

They had to screw something.

IRQ

Banned
Seriously guys. Wasn't there a rumor prior to E3 that PS 4 ran at much higher fps? Like. 90fps or something? Who came up with that?

Haunted

So the game is fucked on both next generation consoles and PC. Lovely job Infinity Ward and Activision.

FvTpa.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If it doesn't have the same framerate issues I will absolutely call money hat from MS.

Except, if they were moneyhatting, why wouldn't they just force IW to make the PS4 version run in 720p?

sTaTIx

Some links more relevant to the topic at hand:

”Much has been said about the fact that the PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at a native 1080p, and while that may be true, the game did struggle to maintain a steady frame rate, especially in hectic multiplayer matches. The PS3 version of the game ran into similar problems, whereas the Xbox 360 version maintained a steady 60 frames per second.”

"On the current-gen versions Ghosts looks nearly identical, though I did encounter occasional framerate issues during the single-player campaign on PS3 and PS4."

”A key pillar of the Call of Duty experience has always been rock-solid 60 frames per seconds gameplay. On Xbox 360, Ghosts maintains this mandate. The PlayStation 4 version, however, has noticeable technical issues, sometimes slowing to a crawl, particularly during set-piece moments with multiple effects. One specific moment I was able to replicate multiple times on PS4 was a campaign scene that ran smoothly on Xbox 360 and PS3, while the game chugged On PlayStation 4. These frame rate hitches happen throughout the campaign on PS4 and, in a series known for its Hollywood-inspired bombast, it detracted from the experience.”

"Additionally, the PlayStation 4 version has a handful of noticeable dips in its frame rate. This usually seemed to happen when a lot of smoke or other effects were on-screen, but occasionally it occurred in multiplayer for reasons I couldn't even guess at. Judging graphics on a brand-new platform can be tough, since we don't have a lot to compare it with at this point, but I will say that I had hoped that it would look a little better across the board."

Most of these framerate drops described sound more like technical glitches related to the PS4 OS, UI, or streaming issues. There's no way Infinity Ward would allow regular noticeable framerate drops down to below 30fps... or "slow down to a crawl" as one reviewer mentioned. These kinds of massive framerate drops are usually an indicator of a streaming or OS bug, rather than the actual graphical horsepower of the system's CPU/GPU.

Well, I hope perhaps Infinity Ward decided to go 720p because it will help the frame-rate, but at this point I'm not expectant.

If BF4 can go 900p on PS4 why couldn't COD have? 1080p is all well and good but frame rate issues? Euugh, thats the worst.

Doesn't help COD isn't a looker anyway. Seems like IW stretched themselves too thin, though if the 360 version is fine I guess at least they're smart enough to prioritise the version that will sell the best.

Top Bottom