• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ford to move factory to China after Trump pressures company not to move to Mexico

Link. Another one.

Ford Motor Co. is moving production of its Focus model to China after production at its Michigan plant ends in 2019.

The move, which Ford estimates will save it $500 million in production costs for the car, comes as the company has become a target of President Trump, who is pressuring manufacturers to keep jobs in the United States.

Ford initially planned to move production of the Focus to Mexico, but it is now scrapping that plan in favor of production in China, according to a report in Bloomberg.
Trump thanked Ford on Twitter for its decision to scrap the Mexican plant.

China's labor costs are lower than Mexico's, but shipping costs for the small cars will rise.

On the campaign trail and early in his presidency, Trump threatened to slap a 35 percent tariff on products made by American companies in other countries.

The best deal /s

s̫̗̩͎͖̘̼᷄̑̑͆͞͞ͅͅo̸̲̺͇̥̭͕ͣͣ̓̍͂ͪ͊̽ m̸̧͇᷂̆͐̒᷾ͧͮ̾̂᷀᷀͝u̶̶̷͚̜̺̼̥̍̏᷁̽ͣ̏͠c͉͖̻̺͚̥̺̥̭̝̏ͨͨ͗͡h̜᷂̰̰͇̱̖᷀᷉̒͌ͦ̚͢͝ w͏̶̧̰̗̖̞̓̈́̈́ͦͯ᷾̄͞ĭ̵̛̥̗̗̱͖̣͓̾᷃᷆̏ͨn̨̜̪᷊᷾͋᷁̆᷆́̓̃ͧ͌͞n̢̬̮̭ͮ̍̑̆̍͐̒̽̉̓͡i̭̙͖̟̳͑͊ͬ̓̊᷄̓̽̈́͝n̨͚͈᷿͍ͮ᷅ͯ̑ͥͥͤ᷅͆͢g̶̷̰᷊᷂̳̣̗̽̈᷇᷇ͪ̃ͫ

brian577

Banned
Kinda sad that foreign companies like Toyota and BMW are doing more for American jobs than actual American companies.

Neifirst

This feels too good

Yeah, I just love it when Americans lose their well-paying jobs, just so long as Trump looks bad!!!

EDIT: Fortunately, no layoffs are planned in this instance, but I still find the gleeful responses off-putting. Trump has certainly earned the ridicule he receives on a number of issues, but trying to support an industrial base in this country, whether through jawboning or trade policy, is not one of those issues IMO.

mo60

So will trump threaten to slap a 35 percent tariff on Ford now?I hope anyone that lost their jobs from this move is doing okay.

It's almost like trump didn't realise that the people who run Ford are the people who own it, and not the president.

It's almost like treating the CEO of a company worth billions of dollars like the guy cleaning your Trump tower toilets won't garner the same results or something.

Silly Trump.

Osahi

Haha, oh, wow, haha, just let me, bahahaha, ha, ha... shit hahaha.

Good job Donald. Haha

The clown in chief is winning so much

image.php

So will trump threaten to slap a 35 percent tariff on Ford now?I hope anyone that lost their jobs from this move is doing okay.
He caved on NAFTA in like one phone call

Zero percent chance he does shit or attempts some sort of trade war with China

Usobuko

Banned
Kinda sad that foreign companies like Toyota and BMW are doing more for American jobs than actual American companies.

American companies depend heavily on America to subsequent project their brand outwards ( that's how supreme America cultural dominance is) .

But the wealth ain't trinkling down, that's for sure. It's usually the top dogs screwing the average folks than immigrants taking their jobs. The top dogs who paid themselves very well because globalization has been a success.

numble

Toyota and BMW did it to avoid tariffs. Until now, I don't think any major non-Chinese car company made cars in China for export outside of China, due to the requirements that car manufacturers in China cannot be 100% owned by a foreign company, so profits needed to be shared with a Chinese company (not sure if the rules have changed). If Ford has figured out an economic model that allows them to export cars from China, Toyota and BMW would soon follow.

Trump Campaign event in Bluffton, S.C. - July 21, 2015

I beat the people from China. I win against China. You can win against China if you're smart. But our people don't have a clue. We give state dinners to the heads of China. I said why are you doing state dinners for them? They're ripping us left and right. Just take them to McDonald's and go back to the negotiating table."

Tell me about it, Donald.

I guess the differential price of labor is increasingly absurd if it's cheaper for Ford to assemble an entire car in China and ship the finished vehicle to the US. The Focus sells about 200,000 a year in the US, so Ford is going to be paying for container ships to carry 200,000 cars across the Pacific Ocean every year and it's still cheaper than assembling the cars in America.

One wonders how everything could have gone this wrong.

I guess the differential price of labor is increasingly absurd if it's cheaper for Ford to assemble an entire car in China and ship the finished vehicle to the US. The Focus sells about 200,000 a year in the US, so Ford is paying for container ships to carry 200,000 cars across the Pacific Ocean every year and it's still cheaper than assembling the cars in America.

One wonders how it could have gone this wrong.

China is vying to take the lead in green energy. Biggest change will occur when electric cars become the norm. Now they buttered up the idiot in the WH, and (IMO) will be working to bring more auto manufacturers mainland so once the change to electric happens China is the gatekeeper to clean cars.

I guess the differential price of labor is increasingly absurd if it's cheaper for Ford to assemble an entire car in China and ship the finished vehicle to the US. The Focus sells about 200,000 a year in the US, so Ford is going to be paying for container ships to carry 200,000 cars across the Pacific Ocean every year and it's still cheaper than assembling the cars in America.

One wonders how everything could have gone this wrong.

It's not labor cost.

China is plain better in manufacturing than the USA. Infrastructure, logistics and production quality. Made in America is not something to be proud.

Yeah, I just love it when Americans lose their well-paying jobs, just so long as Trump looks bad!!!

EDIT: Fortunately, no layoffs are planned in this instance, but I still find the gleeful responses off-putting. Trump has certainly earned the ridicule he receives on a number of issues, but trying to support an industrial base in this country, whether through jawboning or trade policy, is not one of those issues IMO.

You really think he's 'trying' ?

As in putting in the effort?

SyNapSe

They also announced a new 900 million investment into a Kentucky factory for SUVs and Trucks.
They've just swerved around the bad press of a Mexico facility for the focus. No margin in small vehicles

Top Bottom