• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ford to move factory to China after Trump pressures company not to move to Mexico

Ecotic

That's actually strange from what I know of the supply chains of auto makers. I had always read that it's not typically economical to make cars overseas because the transportation costs are too high and the response to changes in market demand is too slow. The supposed main reason to do it is to have access to that overseas market. That may be Ford's main reason to move to China, to sell the Ford Focus there.

numble

That's actually strange from what I know of the supply chains of auto makers. I had always read that it's not typically economical to make cars overseas because the transportation costs are too high and the response to changes in market demand is too slow. The supposed main reason to do it is to have access to that overseas market. That may be Ford's main reason to move to China, to sell the Ford Focus there.

They already sell and produce the Ford Focus there for the China market:
https://corporate.ford.com/company/plant-detail-pages/changan-ford-automobile.html

This article is about Ford Focus vehicles produced to be sold to the US market.

Maximo

BwRjZOk.gif

How have I not seen this before.

Draxal

It's almost like trump didn't realise that the people who run Ford are the people who own it, and not the president.

It's almost like treating the CEO of a company worth billions of dollars like the guy cleaning your Trump tower toilets won't garner the same results or something.

Silly Trump.

The CEO got fired, its a different one this time.

LegoDad

Kinda sad that foreign companies like Toyota and BMW are doing more for American jobs than actual American companies.

Umm, you do know that Ford was the only American car company that didn't take bail out money? Did you know they arent getting rid of any jobs?

BigBeauford

This was mentioned in a different forum, but are there issues with us selling cars to China? Do they impose any tarrifs or restrictions? Someone suggested this is why they are building the cars there, in order to bypass this issue.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Getting our car manufactuers, and being at the forefront of clean energy. The rise of China indeed. Thanks Trump.

numble

This was mentioned in a different forum, but are there issues with us selling cars to China? Do they impose any tarrifs or restrictions? Someone suggested this is why they are building the cars there, in order to bypass this issue.

They already sell and produce the Ford Focus there for the China market:
https://corporate.ford.com/company/plant-detail-pages/changan-ford-automobile.html

This article is about Ford Focus vehicles produced to be sold to the US market.

It's not labor cost.

China is plain better in manufacturing than the USA. Infrastructure, logistics and production quality. Made in America is not something to be proud.

Its labor costs and abuses. When someones only option is living in a shanty town for a meager wage to feed their families and there is a driver walking the floor threatening your job over any little think you tend to work faster.

Im proud when i see Made in America because i know for the most part those workers are not being abused and are getting a decent wage and life.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Some of you need to take off the "Hate Trump" glasses and see this with dispassion. Its a fucked up move regardless of the baboon in the White House. Every failure of Trump is not a victory for the people. I can't stand him either but these responses are strange to me.

Some of you need to take off the "Hate Trump" glasses and see this with dispassion. Its a fucked up move regardless of the baboon in the White House. Every failure of Trump is not a victory for the people. I can't stand him either but these responses are strange to me.

What are you talking about?

SaviourMK2

Not sure who to be mad at, Trump's failed tough guy act or Ford.
I suppose I could be mad at both... It's a shame too because I was looking at a Ford Focus.

That reminds me, I'm in the market for an electric car, I should probably get on that.

Trump actually made things far worse. America would have still enjoyed a multiplier effect and economic growth from that Mexico plant. Now all the tier 1 and 2 suppliers in America lose out on supplying to that assembly plant because China is too far away.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Trump actually made things far worse. America would have still enjoyed a multiplier effect and economic growth from that Mexico plant. Now all the tier 1 and 2 suppliers in America lose out on supplying to that assembly plant because China is too far away.

Not to mention that Mexico is a bigger market for USA's goods than China.

Pastry

Banned
lol so Trump fucked over the US and Mexico in one go.

It's not like there is this thing called NAFTA that would have meant this production in Mexico would still have created US jobs. They would have used some US parts in those cars lol.

Nikodemos

local_man_ruins_everything.jpg

RPGCrazied

I think its hilarious. These companies basically telling Trump to fuck off. We will do what we want. We don't care who you are.

Art of the deal baby!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
That definitely isn't true for the Ford Focus. They sell more Ford Focus vehicles in China than in the US, I believe.

No, but Mexico overall imports more from USA. So, Mexicans with more money, potentially a bigger increase for USA exports.

Oh the irony... strengthen the economy of a country which already has a huge wall

God damn.

Yeah, you get taxed HEAVILY if you sell an American car to China. That might be why Ford decided to open a plant in China to exploit some kind of loophole.

It's also true that smaller cars have smaller margins. That's why we sell more SUVs and even coups than smaller cars like the Focus or Fiesta.

cwmartin

Kinda sad that foreign companies like Toyota and BMW are doing more for American jobs than actual American companies.

The world is a global economy. If Ford can save money and not increase the price of their cars in US, then this is the better solution.

Cause we all know Americans want lower prices, all the jobs, and higher wages. Can't have it all cupcakes.

Zubz

Banned
Yeah, I just love it when Americans lose their well-paying jobs, just so long as Trump looks bad!!!

EDIT: Fortunately, no layoffs are planned in this instance, but I still find the gleeful responses off-putting. Trump has certainly earned the ridicule he receives on a number of issues, but trying to support an industrial base in this country, whether through jawboning or trade policy, is not one of those issues IMO.

The main issue is how he's doing it; he just wants an excuse to say he "won," so as long as an industry gets "more" jobs, it doesn't matter if it's a dozen of destructive coal jobs at the cost of a hundred jobs in clean energy. And he's not doing much to sway corporations either.

We need someone who will focus on creating attainable jobs, but also realistic ones that won't fizzle out in the near future. That much is clear. But Trump isn't trying beyond empty threats & gloating. Not giving him credit will make it easier to entice people towards a competent candidate on the same platform.

Also, the irony is palpable.

China is vying to take the lead in green energy. Biggest change will occur when electric cars become the norm. Now they buttered up the idiot in the WH, and (IMO) will be working to bring more auto manufacturers mainland so once the change to electric happens China is the gatekeeper to clean cars.

There is one American automaker that only makes electric cars and they are rumored to be close to a deal to build a factory in China.

So one American company which makes cars is likely to survive the next decade of the electric transition and keep America alive in the race to electrification of transport.

Top Bottom