• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget exclusives, the Xbox One has trouble getting MULTIPLATFORM games

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I feel like statements such as these ignore a number of XOne owners in this thread who have suggested otherwise. Xbox gamers who hold games like the aforementioned Lost Odyssey in the highest regard of JRPGs and have been pining for a sequel in the recent Mistwalker thread...And on Phil Spencer's Twitter feed...

We might be in the minority, but we exist...

Right, but you are a minority that is not sufficient to foot the development costs to port these titles to the Xbox One.

Companies like money, if they thought the ROI on a port was there, they would do so.

I mean, I get it. My favorite game this gen is Sunset Overdrive and I would give anything for a proper sequel to JSRF (which I liked more than JGR). Dreamcast is my favorite system of all time, followed by my Sega Saturn.

I used to live on weird niche games from Japan. But, it's pretty clear a shift has happened in the marketplace.

David___

Banned
I feel like statements such as these ignore a number of XOne owners in this thread who have suggested otherwise. Xbox gamers who hold games like the aforementioned Lost Odyssey in the highest regard of JRPGs and have been pining for a sequel in the recent Mistwalker thread...And on Phil Spencer's Twitter feed...

We might be in the minority, but we exist...

A handful of people wanting a game isnt enough of a justification for someone in charge to go, "Yea, spending time, resources and money to bring this game over there will be worth it." The problem is an endless loop that wont be broken w/o MS fostering a community from pretty much the ground up which will take time that MS doesnt deem worth it.

That was in the original announcement all the way back in 2013. I'm pretty sure that Square Enix would want to be able to take that back though.
Really? I mean I think Kingdom Hearts 3 will do better than final fantasy. We are talking an easy to pick up game that has Disney characters. It's going to get huge hype and such, I think that will do just fine on Xbox. Better than one of the games listed in the OP, well besides persona, which I'm not sure if it's huge or just GAF hype because this is a community that has a fan for ever game our there. I just know that there has been 5 persona's and I never seen any of them when I was younger, and that's when I would play JRPG's the most. I would have ate up something anime looking back then.

4Tran

Really? I mean I think Kingdom Hearts 3 will do better than final fantasy. We are talking an easy to pick up game that has Disney characters. It's going to get huge hype and such, I think that will do just fine on Xbox. Better than one of the games listed in the OP, well besides persona, which I'm not sure if it's huge or just GAF hype because this is a community that has a fan for ever game our there. I just know that there has been 5 persona's and I never seen any of them when I was younger, and that's when I would play JRPG's the most. I would have ate up something anime looking back then.
It's a game with a heavy cartoon and anime aesthetic. The people who like this aesthetic are going to naturally gravitate towards the PS4, so Square Enix could have captured almost the entire console audience by releasing on just one platform. Think of it this way, instead of largely wasting their efforts on the Xbone port of Final Fantasy XV, they could have been spending the effort on a PC port which would have been a better result both financially and strategically. Likely the same would be true of Kingdom Hearts 3.

Nephtes

Right, but you are a minority that is not sufficient to foot the development costs to port these titles to the Xbox One.

Not denying I'm in the minority, but I'd prefer it that the minority at least be acknowledged to exist rather than handwaved away as "I don't think gamers who are looking for those sorts of games own an Xbox One."

Saying things like that perpetuates the false narrative that "no one with an Xbox wants Japanese games". And that's just not true. It's demonstrably not true.

It would be more accurate to say "A majority of Xbox gamers seem not to be looking for these sorts of games on their Xbox One." It's semantics, but at least I don't feel forgotten.

cripterion

PS4 selling double has far more to due with brand recognition than games.

Majority of people with PS4s and Xbox Ones are playing the same type of titles for the most part.

I hear you saying that and while I agree it also mostly has to do with Microsoft screwing up hard this gen.
Many people that had a 360 only last gen went with with a PS4 this gen. Including some casuals.

To be fair XBOX has a lot of titles available through backwards compatibility that you can't get on PS4. That's something right? Some old SHMUPS and JRPGs. I've bought some old titles like Catherine and Ikaruga.

Hopefully on Scorpio we'll get some unique games back. If not, there's still a huge indie scene to explore and backlogs.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's a game with a heavy cartoon and anime aesthetic. The people who like this aesthetic are going to naturally gravitate towards the PS4, so Square Enix could have captured almost the entire console audience by releasing on just one platform. Think of it this way, instead of largely wasting their efforts on the Xbone port of Final Fantasy XV, they could have been spending the effort on a PC port which would have been a better result both financially and strategically. Likely the same would be true of Kingdom Hearts 3.

Kh3 most likely would have for all intents been announced as PS4 console exclusive along with FF15 had SE known what they know now

4Tran

Kh3 most likely would have for all intents been announced as PS4 console exclusive along with FF15 had SE known what they know now
I can't blame them because, back in 2013, it's hard to tell how things would shake up so it's safer to play it safe and release on both platforms. They must have regretted that decision as soon the Microsoft E3 conference went live.

Tecnniqe

Banned
To be fair XBOX has a lot of titles available through backwards compatibility that you can't get on PS4. That's something right? Some old SHMUPS and JRPGs. I've bought some old titles like Catherine and Ikaruga.

Hopefully on Scorpio we'll get some unique games back. If not, there's still a huge indie scene to explore and backlogs.
According to GAF BC is dead, a waste of time and nobody use it.

But it does count to some degree for sure for those that do care about still being able to play their older titles or just into them for the first time.

patapuf

While the split for FF and KH are hugely in favor of PS4, the sales volume is big enough for a port to be worth it. That's probably still around a million copies sold.

That's unlike other games in the op, that just sell a few hundred thousand copies total.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
While the split for FF and KH are hugely in favor of PS4, the sales volume is big enough for a port to be worth it. That's probably still around a million copies sold.

That's unlike other games in the op, that just sell a few hundred thousand copies total.

We don't actually know the FF 15 split.

Primarily i was referring to KH3 since it doesn't have any history on the platform anyway

lupinko

Neither did Sony, the difference is that Lab Zero was so awesome that they created a Driver that allowed some games to be bc

Actually that driver was technically from Sony, because iirc the person who made it is from Naughty Dog. Lab Zero just owns the driver.

patapuf

We don't actually know the FF 15 split.

Primarily i was referring to KH3 since it doesn't have any history on the platform anyway

I was just going for 20% of FFXV being sold on xbox.

I know, opportunity cost and ect., but not porting AAA games that sells 5+ Millions to PS4/Xbox/PC is really just leaving money on the table more often than not.

Which is why (big budget) exlcusive third party games are almost non existent nowadays

I have no clue if KH is still in that ballpark though.

According to GAF BC is dead, a waste of time and nobody use it.

But it does count to some degree for sure for those that do care about still being able to play their older titles or just into them for the first time.

Nah, there are lots of folks on GAF that enjoy BC, that's how I've been able to get some great ideas for games to revisit.

Top Bottom