• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forgotten, underrated or overlooked handheld games

hqdefault.jpg

Incredibly solid side-scrolling beat 'em up and the only game centered around one of Marvel's best heroes.

250px-Hatsworthcover.png

This is one of those games I barely ever saw anyone talk about. The puzzle mechanics were kind of... ehh, but it was unique enough to keep my interest for a while.

I was gonna mention this game. It's not the greatest thing ever but it's worth playing once for its uniqueness. Presentation and graphics are pretty polished too.

I feel like nobody played/owned this one. I owned it and selling it is still one of my biggest regrets.
It's the best portable MGS game. Fight me.

Code:
[IMG]https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/metalgear/images/e/e3/Mggb.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20050908164725[/IMG]

I bought it for $.75 when Gamestop was clearencing out their GB/GBC games.

37786-War_Games_-_Defcon_1_[NTSC-U]-1475192489.jpg

This game was amazing.

Osukaa

Jeanne d'Arc is awesome. I never see anyone talk about it though.

Jeanne_d%27Arc_Coverart.png

My choice as well. I loved this game.
A certain scene
The Burning Scene where "she" is begging for her life
really made me tear up because of just how fucked up things went down that way. Awesome game.... dammit I wanna replay it now lol.

galvatron

Code:
[IMG]https://r.mprd.se/fup/up/44300-Ninja_Five-0_(U)(Trashman)-1491122072.jpg[/IMG]
Great grappling hook-centered action platformer.

I agree that Card Fighter's Clash on NGPC was amazing, but I just wonder if it's underrated. If you've got a ngpc, you probably know about that CFC is a great game.

Strike

wLpElFn.jpg

A great game that took risks. It bombed though so I can understand why Rockstar wont do more with it. But a return to the top down formula is a breath of fresh air.
The drug dealing minigame was pretty addicting. I'd like to see that return in a future iteration.

Soul Bubbles fans may be happy to know that team is now called Lizard Cube and they did the recent HD remake of Monster Boy: The Dragon's Trap (DotEmu published)

VLiberty

Also, obligatory mention of Donkey Kong '94 for the original Game Boy, since we can't sing its praises enough.

cover_medium.jpg

I feel like most people who know the GB library know that this is one of the best games on the system.

I'd go farther. It's one of the best games ever made, imo. It holds up beautifully, and if you've never played it, you ought to. It's available on VC on the 3DS, though the best way to play would be with a Super GameBoy on SNES.

100 amazing levels of puzzle platforming fun.

Donkey_Kong_95_-_Ingame_9.gif
1447868946411.jpg

the first Mario vs DK game is more suited for this thread, I don't know how many people know it's actually a sequel to DK94

the Lemmings-esque sequels to MvsDK are also great and quite overlooked

Opa-Pa

Subbed! Many great mentions. First thing to come to mind when reading the title was Astro Boy: Omega Factor, such a lovely game.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure for GBA is a fantastic game for fans and IMO the greatest DB game ever

maxresdefault.jpg

It's a kind of a beat 'em up platformer that follows Goku's story since he meets Bulma until he defeats King Piccolo. It's pretty faithful to the anime and very fun to play, you unlock many skills through the story and you get them at the points in the story where Goku learns them, which I found pretty cool.

And as if the general gameplay wasn't fun enough, there's a fighting mode that plays completely different and is fairly solid. Some important fights in the story are played in this mode (like world tournament ones) but you also unlock a VS mode to play with any character in the game against the CPU or a friend

maxresdefault.jpg

Not enough? Beating the game also unlocks Krillin mode, which is basically new game +, and if I remember right you start with all skills unlocked, because why not

latest

Yep, this game is incredible.

B_Signal

I'm with everyone on the Soul Bubbles love. I remember my mum talking to me about a game she was playing I'd "probably think it was rubbish". She showed me that she was playing Soul Bubbles, I think she was quite pleased when I told her it was actually one of my favourite games

The Touch Detective games, also known as (Mystery Detective), were both brilliant, no one talks about them though. I hope someone brings the third one over but it's really not looking likely, even with the 3ds loitering around

Where do I even begin? I'll try and mention the ones I've not seen mentioned so far (Front Mission DS being covered already)

Gungnir [PSP] (Despite the cartoony style, this game had a really downbeat and murky atmosphere and the game was brutal in parts both the gameplay and the storyline, a really solid Tactical RPG that people who own a Vita should check out! One of the last gems on PSP)

gungnir-vita-psp-screenshots-14.jpg

00_gungnir_screenshot_06.jpg

Last Window: The Secret of Cape West [DS] (One of the best adventure games I've ever played on a handheld, think it actually surpasses the original Hotel Dusk for me)

Last_Window.jpg

the-last-window-midnight-promise-20100916093647768.jpg

ds_lastwindow_shot3.jpg

Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection [PSP] (A really interesting and fun Tactics RPG with Ogre Battle style gameplay where you take over enemy bases and traps, the combat system basically being a rhythm game and units all having their strengths and weaknesses against other enemy types, it's also a Sting game so it has a psychedelic art style and the story is downbeat as usual from them, thankfully it's nothing like the rest of the Generation of Chaos series due to the developer change, was the last really good game on the system, think only like three of us played it).

cba142d995432bae62d309c3b72ff70d9f664986-383898.jpg

gfs_280759_2_5.jpg

goc.jpg

Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time [PSP] (One of the best JRPGs I've ever played, sadly released right at the end of the systems life and people seemed to favour Trails in the Sky which released right before it, despite being far inferior in every single way. Secretly one of Atlus's best games)

growlanser4psp_screens_20-620x.jpg

6766588639_f3e7e42520.jpg

growlanser4psp_screens_22-620x.jpg

Special mentions go out to: Black Rock Shooter for PSP, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume for DS and Metal Gear AC!D 1 & 2 for PSP.

Nice explanations!

Growlanser is Career Soft, right? I just finished playing both 3DS Devil Survivor remakes back to back, and haven't played any of their games. Might have to hunt down a UMD copy.

I picked up Yggdra Union (PSP), Knights in the Nightmare (DS and PSP) and Gungnir earlier this year. Haven't started Gungnir yet, but I'm glad it's special. Admittedly it looked like the least ambitious game of those three.

Edit: Oh and I need to play more of The Last Window. I did an LTTP of Hotel Dusk, which is more widely remembered, when I played it for the first time last year.

In The Last Window I got stuck on a Christmas crossword puzzle...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

Essentially does for Space Invaders what Pac-Man Championship Edition did for Pac-Man.

The first Space Invaders Extreme also appeared on PSP and XBLA, but the DS version is easily the best of the bunch. Superior Zuntata soundrack, spritework is sharper, less bogged down by superfluous effects and noisy backgrounds, and the dual-screen boss fights are a neat gimmick that the other ports had to excise.

SIX2 is a bit overbusy in some respects (the Tic-Tac-Toe/Bingo Super Bonus Round system is rather obtuse and hard to pay much attention to, with everything else going on), but other additions like a more rewarding color-combo system and more frequent dual-screen bonus rounds make for an even more satisfyingly manic experience.

Lkr

Also, obligatory mention of Donkey Kong '94 for the original Game Boy, since we can't sing its praises enough.

cover_medium.jpg

I feel like most people who know the GB library know that this is one of the best games on the system.

I'd go farther. It's one of the best games ever made, imo. It holds up beautifully, and if you've never played it, you ought to. It's available on VC on the 3DS, though the best way to play would be with a Super GameBoy on SNES.

Donkey_Kong_95_-_Ingame_9.gif
1447868946411.jpg
An all time great, one of my favorites. Was very happy to replay it on 3DS VC.
Kirby_Canvas_Curse_Game_Cover.jpg

Hot-Shots-Tennis-Get-a-Grip_PSP_US_ESRB-E.jpg

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Hamtaro-HHHbox.jpg

I loved Hamtaro: Ham Ham Heartbreak as a child, I must have replayed it dozens of times.

Also the spritework in this game is great, it's super cute!

tumblr_n77x88C1nl1r7tm2fo1_500.gif

O4LZ6C2.gif

49614.png

120v

came in to chime in with this.

arguably not forgotten or even underrated but releasing the same year and DKC it kind of fell through the cracks, but it really is an all-time great and can't be praised enough

one of my fondest memories was pulling all nighters playing this on super gameboy. game was so addicting

I first played DK '94 in the summer of 2011 when it was released on 3DS and I was blown away. Like some of Nintendo's other non-Mario, non-console platformers at the time it is really ambitious, moreso given the hardware.

Mario's manoeuvrability was like a precursor to Mario 64.

Hamtaro-HHHbox.jpg

I loved Hamtaro: Ham Ham Heartbreak as a child, I must have replayed it dozens of times.

Also the spritework in this game is great, it's super cute!

tumblr_n77x88C1nl1r7tm2fo1_500.gif

O4LZ6C2.gif

49614.png

I remember playing this back when it was released! Bought it because it was published by Nintendo and got solid reviews in a couple of magazines. I still remember the sound effects of the hamsters, haha. And I still have no idea what Hamtaro is all about.

Alphadream's HamHam Games seemed like a disappointment afterward.

Code Name STEAM is a really underrated and overlooked strategy game. I suspect if it performed better Intelligent Systems would also not be doomed to crank out a Fire Emblem game every year, there was a lot of fun creativity going for Code Name STEAM, and while it's not a perfect game, it plays out a unique, and well balanced, game of strategy.

Probably the best way to do fog-of-war without it being blatantly obvious actually. The game eschewing an overhead map in favour of level designs which encouraged you to take advantage of verticality and split routes made each skirmish a tense affair, you had to be flexible.

Everybody's Tennis is great! I enjoyed it more than Mario Tennis: Power Tour on GBA I think.

Buuuuut I'm going to have to fix your boxart, never got why SCEA kept changing the art design of the covers for Everybody's Golf/Tennis/Ape Escape/Ape Academy games.

My favorite gameboy game, also the only legit hard game I beat as a kid:
2368428-box_gquest.png

It's a shame that part 2 was never localized. I've yet to play part 3. Maybe when virtual console launches on Switch.

zenspider

Every game I could think of was on the first page :)

All I can add off the top of my head is Big Bang Mini for the DS. One of my favorite shooters of all time; I can only really describe it as a shmup where the shooting and "ship" are handled independently. It's hard to explain clearly but easy to parse once you see it action for a few seconds.
This was the only decent clip of gameplay I could find.

Light Hobo

Neo Member
Great list of stuff - keep 'em coming!

Bionic Commando: Elite Forces

The sequel to futuristic GB version where you have to save Super Joe. Great gameplay, animations, music and two playable characters!

Bionic-commando-ef-gbc.jpg

lt519

wLpElFn.jpg

A great game that took risks. It bombed though so I can understand why Rockstar wont do more with it. But a return to the top down formula is a breath of fresh air.

Gonna +1 this post, this game was amazing

But I came in here to post Lunar Knights

Never met another person who played this awesome game.

Kururin Paradise is definitely my pick, but that's been mentioned, so I'll dig deeper:

Pic_Pic_Cover.jpg

Pic Pic Drawing mode is probably my most-played DS games. Something like 1800 puzzles just in that mode. Some take 30-45 mins.

Wow how have I never heard of this, looks right up my alley!

More recently Pocket Card Jockey was criminally overlooked outside of gaming circles. If it came out on mobile state side it'd be a massive hit.

Top Bottom