• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forgotten, underrated or overlooked handheld games

Thud

I always had a thing for Pocket Bomberman:

Pocket_Bomberman_cover.jpg

I have the GB version. It's a platformer where you jump and bomb the enemies to progress to stages. Every area has a boss to finish off. One thing I always wondered, why would bomberman need to search out a sword, he has bombs!

This theme always gets stuck in my head.

Regginator

The 3DS version of Donkey Kong Country Returns is pretty cool. Also underrated/overlooked relatively speaking. Sure, the 30fps is a bummer (though understandable), but not having to waggle to roll is so nice. It feels like most don't even know of its existence.

What the fuck is this

Is that an XCOM-alike Advance Wars-ish entry on the absolute GBA, how did child-me not hear about this at the time

bring me back and get me inside, shit

Julian gollop worked on it too!

(Same goes for Ghost Recon Shadow Wars on 3DS)

There's an interesting presentation by the guy where he talks about working on both games in the wider context of his career, I remember him saying that moving to GBA after years of PC games was a shock.

edit: video is here, skip to 12:10: https://youtu.be/I11RF1O-8d4

Would Rusty's Real Deal Baseball count as a forgotten game despite only being 4 years old? I rarely see anyone talk about it or even bring it up in game lists anymore, and that's a shame because it's one of my favourite games from this generation.

It's a brilliant return to Nintendo's arcade roots, and a masterclass in audiovisual feedback. I still boot it up every now and then for a new shot on some of its minigames.

Can confirm, Rebelstar is legit. I started it today and it's tons of fun to play so far.

I actually need to play my copy of the game! Picked it up sealed about five years ago for a small amount and it's been sitting by my Game Boy Micro, unplayed.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, if there's one takeaway from this thread it's that I'll be playing Rebelstar first. According to Julian Gollop there was a cancelled sequel.

REDSLATE

would be nice if you gave us a little more than a meaningless box art.

Would be nice if you sought out your own interests.
In no way is an image "meaningless" when it includes the title and console of preference. Something about 1,000 words...

Simpleton
:)

StarPhlox

I would like to vouch for Kid Icarus: of Myths and Monsters.

A lot of people love the original and of course most everyone is enamored with Uprising, but I have often felt like OMAM never got the respect it deserved. It's an outstanding and original platformer.

TheMoon

Would be nice if you sought out your own interests.
In no way is an image "meaningless" when it includes the title and console of preference. Something about 1,000 words...

Simpleton
:)

Umm... I was asking you to maybe explain why you think it's overlooked or what is so special about the game instead of just posting a box art without any sort of comment.

But sure. Be a douche about it.

ubiblu

Has anyone mentioned Brownie Brown's Magical Vacation yet? The artwork on that game was incredible at the time. Great fun on GBA, but not a fan of the sequel Magical Starsign.

mclem

79835_front.jpg
79827_front.jpg

82541_front.jpg
82542_front.jpg

82543_front.jpg
89862_front.jpg

DS was really the best platform ever.

I keep pointing anyone interested at this, which I have a copy of on most platforms that support it. It's a brilliant generator for puzzles of a lot of different natures, including most of these. Only complaint is that because it's random generation, you don't get meaningful images out of the 'picture' ones.

Slitherlink = Loopy (see also Palisade for the same mechanic handled slightly differently)
Illust Logic = Pattern
Hitori = Singles
Nurikabe = Not supported
Akari = LightUp

_Rob_

5 pages and no Daxter! I've said it before and I'll say it again; both narratively and in it's design approach it's the perfect midquel between Jak PL and Jak II. unfortunately as it was a PSP exclusive it's largely overlooked. Not to mention the travesty that the frankly terrible Lost Frontier got a PS2 release and Daxter didn't!

For the record, it plays fantastically on both Vita and PPSSPP.

Daxter_with_rating.jpg

OuterLimits

Definitely Stella Glow on the 3DS. If you enjoy SRPGs, it is worth checking out. I bought it actually not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised.

Graphics are good for a SRPG and the music us outstanding. Story isn't amazing but enjoyable. Only negative is the game is fairly easy for the first half.

5 pages and no Daxter! I've said it before and I'll say it again; both narratively and in it's design approach it's the perfect midquel between Jak PL and Jak II. unfortunately as it was a PSP exclusive it's largely overlooked. Not to mention the travesty that the frankly terrible Lost Frontier got a PS2 release and Daxter didn't!

For the record, it plays fantastically on both Vita and PPSSPP.

Daxter_with_rating.jpg

I remember hearing good things about it from a friend back in 2006 (I think). Back then we really were spoiled for choice in handhelds, with regular releases on GBA, DS, and PSP.

jennetics

MeteosAstroBlocks_startscreen.gif

scrn_meteos-01.jpg

Awesome match-3 type puzzle game for the DS that I haven't really seen replicated since. From what I remember, you had blocks dropping down and the only way to get rid of them was to match 3 of the same colored blocks. This would propel them upward, like a rocket, and off screen. You'd have a window of time to match other blocks during this lift-off period and get big combos. Seeing blocks that filled the entire screen shooting off was always really satisfying.

syncyes

The Dept Heaven love in this thread is so great <3 Though I've only ever managed to beat Riviera, I really appreciate how out there and unique the games in that series are!

garion333

Neo Member
This thread reminded me of how great Sting was. Are they even working on anything now or have they been completely absorbed by Idea Factory?

REDSLATE

Umm... I was asking you to maybe explain why you think it's overlooked or what is so special about the game instead of just posting a box art without any sort of comment.

But sure. Be a douche about it.

Bullshit. No question was posed; only snark.
Try-hard

Meffer

Magical Starsign
Magical_Starsign.jpg

It was more or less the successor to Magical Vacation which was for the GBA but was never released outside Japan. This one was really interesting, you selected your main protag's gender and which element magic they used being either light or dark. Your other classmates use other elements like fire and wind. You travel to other planets after some stuff happens, it's such a interesting premise. Battles are cool too. Magic is huge focus in battles and have action-lite time command like the Mario RPG series. Tapping the character at the right time while casting makes the spell stronger. And depending where the planets of the respective elements are aligned they either get stronger or weaker. It's quite the impressive game considering it's one of the DS's early games. That also explains the way it uses the dual screens since games during that time experimented how to utilize two screens.
And did I mention it has great spritework? Because it does.
ss-004.jpg

46685-Magical_Starsign_(U)(EvlChiken)-4.png

46685-Magical_Starsign_(U)(EvlChiken)-1443253136.png

TheMoon

Bullshit. No question was posed; only snark.
Try-hard

You're a ray of sunshine, aren't ya? Try actually addressing the issue (making an actual case for the game in question) instead of throwing unprompted insults at me. How about hat for a change?

KDR_11k

I'll skip evangelizing about Chou Soujuu Mecha MG (spiritual successor to Robot Alchemic Drive) today and instead point at Glory Days 2:

glorydays2.jpg
glory-days-2-20070411085733562.jpg

51ThFzMvwvL._SX466_.jpg

Basically the best version of Rescue Raiders/Armor Alley out there. You pick between a helicopter and a fighter jet and act as air support to a ground army. You're also in control of spawning ground units but they just march ahead and attack the first thing they see (like in those lane based mobile games). The distinguishing features are the jet itself (these games usually only give you the helicopter) and how good the combat feels (other games are often very stiff and lack physics on that). Also you can pick between WW2, Vietnam and modern day era tech which gradually increases the complexity of the mechanics (e.g. you start having to hit the rear armor of tanks instead of just dropping bombs on them and AA missiles become much more potent).

The predecessor was called Super Army Wars, if you're wondering why it looks familiar but the name seems weird. A third game was promised some time by 2013 but that didn't come to fruition. I think you can see some of the assets meant for that game in Pop Island Paperfield.

TheMoon

I'll skip evangelizing about Chou Soujuu Mecha MG (spiritual successor to Robot Alchemic Drive) today and instead point at Glory Days 2:

glorydays2.jpg
glory-days-2-20070411085733562.jpg

51ThFzMvwvL._SX466_.jpg

Basically the best version of Rescue Raiders/Armor Alley out there. You pick between a helicopter and a fighter jet and act as air support to a ground army. You're also in control of spawning ground units but they just march ahead and attack the first thing they see (like in those lane based mobile games). The distinguishing features are the jet itself (these games usually only give you the helicopter) and how good the combat feels (other games are often very stiff and lack physics on that). Also you can pick between WW2, Vietnam and modern day era tech which gradually increases the complexity of the mechanics (e.g. you start having to hit the rear armor of tanks instead of just dropping bombs on them and AA missiles become much more potent).

The predecessor was called Super Army Wars, if you're wondering why it looks familiar but the name seems weird. A third game was promised some time by 2013 but that didn't come to fruition. I think you can see some of the assets meant for that game in Pop Island Paperfield.

This sounds really interesting, never even heard of this.

Top Bottom