• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Fox Mulder

It's just stupid.

Mercedes is playing chess, the rest of the teams are playing checkers right now.

And Ferrari is sitting in the corner eating glue.

They're so far ahead and will undoubtedly have tons more refinements for testing. Their engine is even better than expected. Even if redbull absolutely nails the new aero, they're still reliant on an engine supplier.

Respect to mercedes. At least it'll be nice to see bottas getting some wins.

Qronicle

I don't really like the Mercedes to be honest, the structures at the sidepods seem a bit weird. The Ferrari looks very Ferrari, whale wing looks terrible.
For the McLaren I will reserve judgement until I see it on track, but it probably won't be good :)

Anyways, some finless images:

qhl7TXf.jpg

mUdzdOq.jpg

DD

So these are the cars officially presented to the press this week:

xq4Egk7.jpg

That Renault looks so much better than the rest...

I hope Toro Rosso will bring something new, and I hope Haas will be less bland than last year. Williams and Red Bull will probably look the same.

RoKKeR

Could those Ferrari and McLaren cares be any less inspired? McLaren especially... if you are going to do orange do it right, not this weird half-assed Marussia-lite business.

Ah well. Hoping Haas and Williams are more imaginative this year, but I am less than hopeful.

I'd say Renault is int he lead design-wise thus far, followed by the Merc.

Fox Mulder

Could those Ferrari and McLaren cares be any less inspired? McLaren especially... if you are going to do orange do it right, not this weird half-assed Marussia-lite business.

Ah well. Hoping Haas and Williams are more imaginative this year, but I am less than hopeful.

I'd say Renault is int he lead design-wise thus far, followed by the Merc.

Maybe McLaren doesn't have a livery team after years of their..whatever that shit was.

Patrick S.

Banned
The cars all look ugly as shit with all those weird abominations on their side pods, "sharks fins" and supplemental wings everywhere.

Disney-Pixar-Cars-2-Character--pTRU1-16629981dt.jpg

DBT85

I'll be honest and thought the Sauber looked shit at first, but it loks much better on track.

Renault is great but could do with more yellow and less black, maybe more to see once on track.

The Merc I like.

The Mclaren... looks like a Marrusia. Invert the black and the white stripe and I think it could look great.

But all in all, these teams have got to start getting outside submissions.

Zeknurn

Very few aero flourishes like we've seen on the other cars. Either they're really holding back until testing, or they're in for a tough year.

The latter is more likely.
Between historically poor aero development and a less than stellar driver lineup, I predict it's going to be their worst season since 2013.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Honda engine boss Hasegawa saying that they expect their engine to be at Mercedes 2016 level in Melbourne (Motorsport)
When asked if Honda had reached its target of matching Mercedes' 2016 performance, Hasegawa said: "Not at the moment, I think...I don't know how much gain Mercedes has made [with its 2017 engine].

"Of course we are aiming to achieve the top level of the power unit, which is Mercedes at this moment. But we don't know how much power they are making now.

xrnzaaas

They had a good opportunity this year to make F1 cars look much cooler and they fucked it up with the fins. ;p Only the one on the Sauber doesn't looks absolutely disgusting. Let's see what Red Bull and Haas can come up with, but I'm not holding my breath. ;)

Theorry

They had a good opportunity this year to make F1 cars look much cooler and they fucked it up with the fins. ;p Only the one on the Sauber doesn't looks absolutely disgusting. Let's see what Red Bull and Haas can come up with, but I'm not holding my breath. ;)

I agree with this one on Reddit.

So, we have three version of the same strategy.

Shark fins - Renault, Sauber. (Fins have a significant cut out)

Sails - Force India, McLaren, Ferrari and Williams(Sails have no significant cut out and unsurprisingly look like a boat sail)

Whale tails - Mercedes, Ferrari

Personally, the sails are ugly and do nothing for the aesthetics of the cars. The shark fins looks aggressive and fast. The whale tail is the first unique innovation we've seen this year but will probably be removed from the rule book.

Theorry

Those thick, red stripes look awesome! Really hope the livery will be matte this year, matching with the helmets.

I am 99% sure it is. Everything they showed so far in press stuff has been matte also. Even the trucks. Also the KTM motorcycles are matte now.

Top Bottom