• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forrest Gump is the best movie.

JettDash

No Forrest is actually to most racist part of the movie! Not Forrest himself but how he is depicted in the move. Basically Forrest was a way to sanitize the Black experience and sometime the Black peoples achievements for white audiences.

Black people being lynched? We'll just put a white face on those victims

Black men dominating in football and other sports? That becomes more palatable with a nice white face

Didn't Elvis basically still his style from Black people? Nope,it was a little white kid he ripped off.

Hell even the people that actually reported the Watergate break-ins was black. They gave that to Forrest Too

Don't even get me started on how this movie treats woman.

Forrest's best friend was black. And he gave Gump's mom a lot of money. Are saying there aren't white people from the South that aren't racist?

Honestly people crying racism for things like this might be part of the problem. I'm half black BTW.

Crayon

Don't even get me started on how this movie treats woman.

giphy.gif

Did you watch that Cracked video too? They literally put Forrest in place of a bunch of black people. Among other things.

I mean I still like the movie but I’ll never think of it the same way. It’s also been over a decade since I’ve actually seen it.

I realized how badly Forrest Gump shits on liberals, woman and the black experience after re watching it on Netflix a few years ago. But I did watch that crack Video and it help solidify why my optional turned so drastically from loving the movie when it came out and disliking it now.

Forrest's best friend was black. And he gave Gump's mom a lot of money. Are saying there aren't white people from the South that aren't racist?

Honestly people crying racism for things like this might be part of the problem. I'm half black BTW.

No dude, your missing the point. Forrest himself is FAR from racist. My problem is how the movie shows a really sanitized and stereotypical view of black experience in America but slaps Forrest face on it.

Hell Bubba is killed and is dream can only be realized by the white savior of the move. Then said white savior is shown lifting Bubba's mother out of poverty.

And that scene with the Black panthers..... fucking UGH!

Pagusas

Elden Member
I enjoy it, a very VERY well paced movie, maybe even the best paced movie ever. There really aren't any boring parts.

RangerX

Banned
It's amazing how two different minds work. I despise this film with such passion there is few films I would ever have the displeasure of sitting through again.

JettDash

No dude, your missing the point. Forrest himself is FAR from racist. My problem is how the movie shows a really sanitized and stereotypical view of black experience in America but slaps Forrest face on it.

Hell Bubba is killed and is dream can only be realized by the white savior of the move. Then said white savior is shown lifting Bubba's mother out of poverty.

And that scene with the Black panthers..... fucking UGH!

People were racist in the South during the 60s (even now).

Bubba's mom probably really would have been poor.

As a black man I don't find it racist at all.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Too many people give Jenny too hard a time when it comes to this film.

Leave her alone folks, she had a fucked up life.

It's a maudlin piece of credulous mainstream boomer-worshipping horseshit.

It's underlying message is that even if you're dumb as a post, as long as you exhibit US values (enlist in the army, do what you're told, be Christian, salute the flag) you will be rewarded with fame, riches, children, and get to meet all the rockstars and even Presidents that walk the earth at the same time as you.

If you try to fight the system or get involved with the counterculture, like Jenny does, you will literally catch AIDS and die. Subtle.

The movie also can't resist making the Black Panthers into a hate group, which is probably exactly how white baby-boomers, by and for whom this movie was clearly made, saw them. To say nothing of portraying anti-war protestors like assholes (the president of the Berkeley chapter of the SDS smacks Jenny around at one point for fuck's sake - which I guess is cool with the Black Panthers, who glower at Forrest brandishing firearms while kicking him out of their meeting for daring to retaliate to a woman getting beat up).

In 1995 The National Fucking Review named it one of the "Best Conservative Movies" of all time, then in 2009, ranked it number four on its "25 Best Conservative Movies of the Last 25 Years" list.

Let's hear from them about how great this movie is!

4. Forrest Gump (1994): It won an Oscar for best picture — beating Pulp Fiction, a movie that's far more expressive of Hollywood's worldview. Tom Hanks plays the title character, an amiable dunce who is far too smart to embrace the lethal values of the 1960s. The love of his life, wonderfully played by Robin Wright Penn, chooses a different path; she becomes a drug-addled hippie, with disastrous results. Forrest's IQ may be room temperature, but he serves as an unexpected font of wisdom. Put 'em on a Whitman's Sampler, but Mama Gump's famous words about life's being like a box of chocolates ring true.

Icolin

Banned
It's pretty good. Watched it with my mom a lot growing up, so obviously I have a soft spot for it, but even watching it recently, I still think it's quite entertaining and sweet
as a box of chocolates

The song Forrest Gump by Frank Ocean is cool too.

EGM1966

Well it's arguably the best made film with atrocious themes on success, behaviour and women but luckily in a world that contains many better films it's far from the best.

But it is very, very competently made. I just can't fathom why they made it thematically what they did.

gamz

It's a maudlin piece of credulous mainstream boomer-worshipping horseshit.

It's underlying message is that even if you're dumb as a post, as long as you exhibit US values (enlist in the army, do what you're told) you will be rewarded with fame, riches, children, and get to meet all the rockstars and even Presidents that walk the earth at the same time as you.

If you try to fight the system or get involved with the counterculture, like Jenny does, you will literally catch AIDS and die. Subtle.

The movie also can't resist making the Black Panthers into a hate group, which is probably exactly how white baby-boomers, by and for whom this movie was clearly made, saw them.

In 1995 The National Fucking Review named it one of the "Best Conservative Movies" of all time, then in 2009, ranked it number four on its "25 Best Conservative Movies of the Last 25 Years" list.

Let's hear from them about how great this movie is!

I've honestly never seen it as a conservative movie. Like at all. Interesting.

Its up there for sure. I still get pumped every time I see those braces fall off his legs when he's running away. That movie hits all the emotions. Its funny, its sad, its exciting. Just a rollercoaster of emotions from start to finish.

Crayon

I've honestly never seen it as a conservative movie. Like at all. Interesting.

I didn't for a long time. It's funny what triggered it: I was watching an interview with the director John Waters (back like when pecker came out I think) and he was asked about parts of his movies being needlessly offensive or something. I paraphrase his response: "If you don't like it then get up and walk out. That's what I did when forrest started running."

And that struck me as odd because I was like "who doesn't like forrest gump?". I didn't think about it too much at the time but I think it planted the seed of doubt and I started noticing stuff in the movie. Some silly stuff and some kind of sly stuff.

Despite winning Best Picture, it was at best the third best film that year -- Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction were robbed.

I like the movie, not one of my favorites (points at Shawshank), but I quote it a lot so that's, uh, something I guess?

FG is my second favorite film. I don't know why, I acknowledge its way too sentimental, but I absolutely love the story, performances etc... everything about the film just works for me.

I also don't see the film as being a conservative love-fest, as much as I just view it as dumb optimism. Most of the people in the films just have typical character flaws. I also know plenty of people who see it as a parody of American values / viewpoints though, so there's that.

one for the boomers..

tom hanks is hard to dislike tho

hmmm a movie made in 1995 that appealed to people that grew up in that time and it doesn't appeal to you..hmm..
Forrest Gump is a movie that I fell completely out of love with as I got older. Its basically a love letter to a fictionalized Conservative viewpoint of America.

And its pretty fucking racist and sexist and anti-liberal too.

How is it racist/sexist/anti-liberal? I never ever got that point of view from this movie at all. If people were shitty in the movie is because they were written to have flaws. Forrest had to deal with these situations and had his own take on it.

On topic: It's a great movie. I just re-watched it when I was up in New York, it was on TV so I just sat down and watched it. It will never get old and its use of effects is still great. Robert Zemeckis is one of the best.
Also the Bubba Gump restaurants are pretty good. Went to the one in Santa Monica.

milanbaros

Member?
Used to think it was one of the best, and have watched it 10+ times when I was younger. Watched it more recently and it is actually kinda terrible, made me sad. This film has aged like milk.

gamz

I didn't for a long time. It's funny what triggered it: I was watching an interview with the director John Waters (back like when pecker came out I think) and he was asked about parts of his movies being needlessly offensive or something. I paraphrase his response: "If you don't like it then get up and walk out. That's what I did when forrest started running."

And that struck me as odd because I was like "who doesn't like forrest gump?". I didn't think about it too much at the time but I think it planted the seed of doubt and I started noticing stuff in the movie. Some silly stuff and some kind of sly stuff.

LOL!

Being a HUGE Waters fan I never heard about this. He's a treasure.

This is usually the take of people that have read the book too.

Yeah. Forrest Gump's optimistic / accidental success is so coincidental it could be seen as being almost intentionally comedic to a lot of people.

I believe this is the viewpoint at one point that Zemeckis may have held himself regarding the film at one point too.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is a weird one for me. I have very ordinary tastes in movies with rare exceptions but I just didn't enjoy it one little bit.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Structurally and thematically it's basically film school on a disc, especially if you listen to the commentary. I don't think time has been kind to the actual story and characters, though, and there's no getting past its views on women and weird fixation on black erasure using Forrest as a stand-in (in addition to the historical examples, even Bubba gets replaced by Forrest in his own dream career). At the very least you can learn a lot from it about how Boomers see their world and era, I suppose. And Alan Silvestri's score is beautiful.

Top Bottom