• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

Redshirt

Banned
There's a base defense mode where you build a private, persistent base. You dictate when you defend it and don't have to worry about being attacked offline.

There's also an instanced mission mode (the bulk of the game) where everything you build is gone when the match finishes.

Slayven

There's a base defense mode where you build a private, persistent base. You dictate when you defend it and don't have to worry about being attacked offline.

There's also an instanced mission mode (the bulk of the game) where everything you build is gone when the match finishes.

Thanks, sounds like what I was wanting

Redshirt

Banned
I do for the most part. I don't use any rare or uncommon heroes as primaries, so I retire them for the XP.

Support heroes are the exception. Rares and uncommons are definitely worth it in a support role, so I keep them if it's my only source of that skill.

Lettuce

I do for the most part. I don't use any rare or uncommon heroes as primaries, so I retire them for the XP.

Support heroes are the exception. Rares and uncommons are definitely worth it in a support role, so I keep them if it's my only source of that skill.

What are Support Heroes? the 2 you use for Squad Bonus?

Also same deal with Defenders and Survivors, sell off the ones that are lower than Rare level?

Redshirt

Banned
What are Support Heroes? the 2 you use for Squad Bonus?

Also same deal with Defenders and Survivors, sell off the ones that are lower than Rare level?

Yeah. Squad bonus. They provide support and tactical perks.

Defenders I don't use. Keeping your best eight is all you need if you think you might use them.

I don't have enough legendary/epic survivors to fill all slots, so I do keep just enough rares to make sure I never have an empty spot.

Does the battle royale mode have its own OT, or is this the place for discussion of that too?

I've been really enjoying it so far. I think for me, it's the most fun I've had on Fortnite, and I think that really says something about the rest of the game.

At its core, Fortnite's gameplay is really fun, exploring the environments, looting, and observing your character develop and gunplay (which is responsive, and features a relatively wide variety of weapons), and the Battle Royale mode condenses that into these 15 minute sessions.

In Fortnite's defense modes, exploration is rarely valuable, and it's very difficult to see any meaningful change to your character progression within a short space of time. Players are bogged down with the clumsy UI if they want to achieve any sense of character progression. It's confusing and frankly, needlessly complex.

Unfortunately the base building aspect, which is this games hook, isn't all that useful within either mode. In Fortnite's defense mode, I haven't needed to build anything for the first 20+ missions of the game, and within Battle Royale, while you do sometimes see people building stuff, it's usually to platform around, rather than create any real form of fort. Using build mode is a big risk as it a) tells players where you are and b) takes time.

I think in Fortnite's defense mode, it could be neat if instead of building from scratch on every mission, missions featured prebuilt structures that you could then modify if you wished. A big issue with building is that it consumes resources, and players want to conserve as many in order to use them elsewhere, such as directly on their base. The problem then, is you get many, many missions where players build very little, or nothing at all. This is where the game becomes very boring. When the traps aren't doing the work, you're just playing a very average zombie shooter, the game really falls apart.

I can see that. Dropping a Decoy, then using TEDDY and/or Shock Tower on the horde.. that could be game changing. I guess I'd need to play more but, fragments worry me. They're not always where you need them, and then when you run out... I'd like to see an ability to generate one fragment on demand when you have none for the "Oh shit." moment, even with a long, long cooldown.

The fragment system just isn't much fun in general to be honest. Makes it feel like, despite having unique properties, 90% of the time your highly levelled up character, does nothing unique. Also, because fragments do not regenerate with any reasonable speed and aren't easily acquired after the defense phase has started, there's always a sense that you might want to use the ability later, and therefore save it, until the end. Again, it feels like your characters abilities have minimal impact on the battle, and that just isn't much fun. If Epic think they're overpowered then they should tone down the abilities, and provide a passive recharge rate, just to make the game less homogenous between characters, if nothing else.

Kioshen

I got two legendary weapon schematics from a llama ... what do I do with that or at least what can I do? I learned quickly how to craft bullets but at this point, I never had to craft anything else.

I got two legendary weapon schematics from a llama ... what do I do with that or at least what can I do? I learned quickly how to craft bullets but at this point, I never had to craft anything else.

From your inventory in a mission (i on PC by default) you have tabs for crafting.

You might not have the materials for crafting legendary weapons right off the bat though. They take powercells instead of rotating gizmos which are rarer.

Memnoch

I thought this is F2P? The main log in screen states that you need to buy an 80CAD founders pack? Am I missing something?

Kioshen

From your inventory in a mission (i on PC by default) you have tabs for crafting.

You might not have the materials for crafting legendary weapons right off the bat though. They take powercells instead of rotating gizmos which are rarer.

Well, that's weird that you can't craft anything in the main menu. Can't seem to find what dodads I have collected either which makes it even more stressful to check during a mission.

Well, that's weird that you can't craft anything in the main menu. Can't seem to find what dodads I have collected either which makes it even more stressful to check during a mission.

They do plan to add that kind of functionality to the main menu eventually. In the meantime if you just want to check your inventory in a stress free environment you can always go to your base.

Kioshen

How do I do that? I'd assume I need to go to the map and select where the big shield is? I also wanted to do some touch ups on my current setup because I built haphazardly at first and it's a little unwieldy after the second defense. I'm not that far into the main quest line but still.

How do I do that? I'd assume I need to go to the map and select where the big shield is? I also wanted to do some touch ups on my current setup because I built haphazardly at first and it's a little unwieldy after the second defense. I'm not that far into the main quest line but still.

Yes, you can always visit your base from the map. You can use your resources or store them, any changes you make will be saved.

Redshirt

Banned
How does the game plays if you are solo queuing or playing with randoms?

Game plays great with randoms. It's really arms-length multiplayer.

I really only play solo when farming materials. It's definitely doable but kind of a waste of materials.

fenners

Multiple minute login queue & horrible performance in matches last night - lots of zombies popping around & rubber banding, searches taking ages to give results.

Thanks, super-successful PvsE mode, I guess.

Kioshen

Do you lose heroes when you send them out in expeditions? I think I'm getting paranoid but I think I don't see the hero I sent in my first expeditions in my inventory anymore. Either that or I added in my collection so I'm not sure.

Redshirt

Banned
Do you lose heroes when you send them out in expeditions? I think I'm getting paranoid but I think I don't see the hero I sent in my first expeditions in my inventory anymore. Either that or I added in my collection so I'm not sure.

You can't lose heroes on expeditions even when they fail.

It's a good idea to favorite everything you actually use. That stops you from accidentally retiring them or put them in the collection book.

Multiple minute login queue & horrible performance in matches last night - lots of zombies popping around & rubber banding, searches taking ages to give results.

Thanks, super-successful PvsE mode, I guess.

Neither queue times nor performance has been too bad for me, but it does kind of rub me the wrong way that the people who paid have to wait.

I'd probably be bitching more if the queue times were more substantial.

Shengar

Game plays great with randoms. It's really arms-length multiplayer.

I really only play solo when farming materials. It's definitely doable but kind of a waste of materials.

I thought this kind of game will need a lot of coordination with other player. I'm fear of messing up and get trashed by randoms.

I thought this kind of game will need a lot of coordination with other player. I'm fear of messing up and get trashed by randoms.

Most players are at least competent enough to pass the mission with minimal coordination tbh. Sometimes you gotta carry and you'll see your combat score much higher than others. But most of the time it's more than enough to win out in the end.

Shengar

Most players are at least competent enough to pass the mission with minimal coordination tbh. Sometimes you gotta carry and you'll see your combat score much higher than others. But most of the time it's more than enough to win out in the end.

I see. I like coop game because they tend to be more relaxed, but I imagine something that have survival element like Fortnite would make it tenser than your usual coop game. Thanks for the answers!

I see. I like coop game because they tend to be more relaxed, but I imagine something that have survival element like Fortnite would make it tenser than your usual coop game. Thanks for the answers!

The only time I get annoyed is really when people activate the storm chest before people are at the chest or ready for it. The storm chest is just a side event but the rewards are decent.

fenners

I'm thoroughly enjoying this after picking it up for my kid. It's a ton of fun, balancing searching/building/defending. Skill tree is crazy though :)

rivalneo

Neo Member
If I buy a deluxe edition founders pack for PC (which cdkeys have at a cheaper price), what do I need to do to obtain the ps4 copy that I understand you get as part of the cross buy. I don't game on pc (my laptop isn't up to it) so was just looking to see if this route would work to play the game on my ps4.

Many thanks.

If I buy a deluxe edition founders pack for PC (which cdkeys have at a cheaper price), what do I need to do to obtain the ps4 copy that I understand you get as part of the cross buy. I don't game on pc (my laptop isn't up to it) so was just looking to see if this route would work to play the game on my ps4.

Many thanks.

AFAIK all you have to do is link your account on epic's site.

Redshirt

Banned
This event isn't as good as I'd hoped. I'm fortunate to have a lot of unleveled schematics, but this tiered approach stinks.

Fortnite is already on the verge of being too time-consuming, and now Epic wants us to maintain gear sets for different tiers.

Event participation seems down on PC as well. Between 7-9pm on the East Coast on a Saturday night it's taking almost the full 2 minutes to get four if I'm lucky. :/

Edit: Much better Sunday morning in terms of matchmaking, so hopefully it was a network issue last night or something.

Raybunny

Started playing this game this morning. Was able to crunch a couple of missions before going to work. One thing I noticed is that the zombies got destroyed far from the Base. I wonder if spending resources on traps and construction at the beginning can be avoided on this tutorial levels.

Redshirt

Banned
Started playing this game this morning. Was able to crunch a couple of missions before going to work. One thing I noticed is that the zombies got destroyed far from the Base. I wonder if spending resources on traps and construction at the beginning can be avoided on this tutorial levels.

It can. Sometimes a trap at a bottleneck will make sense.

But for the most part in Stormwood, just put up a box and kill everything.

Jesus, how have they still not fixed the fucking dual monitor bug on PC? I've never had an issue like this in the 10+ years I've had dual monitors.

What is the bug? I run dual monitors and am not sure I've noticed an issue.

I have an ancient 1280x1024 display as my second monitor. When Fortnite launches, it opens on the second monitor and restrains itself to 4x3, even if I force the game onto my primary (1080p) display. Nothing in the game settings, display configuration in Windows or video driver settings makes a difference; the only fix it to simply unplug that display to take it out of the equation entirely. (I'm guessing if my second monitor was also 1080p there would be no issue, or I could at least manually move the game over to the primary display and continue on without a problem.)

Horde bash is pretty tight. I actually like it. It seems a little hit or miss on getting into a group with randoms though. I probably should have changed region as NA is not popping atm.

I like the limited resource stuff. But they could give us a little more resources at the start. Also 1 skill point per horde bash is gonna take a while.

Oh and... they have crazy smasher waves... even in low power... kinda nuts. I am not sure what to think of that cause you don't really have enough ammo to deal with them all. Even as a ninja I was struggling to keep ammo count high.

Top Bottom