• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

KHarvey16

jett said:
It's nice to know that now you have to have played Forza 3 to comment on the game's graphics. I trust all of you have played Gran Turismo 5, yes? :lol

You can say a lot about the overzealousness of GT fanboys, but the double-standards and hypocrisy exhibited by some of you is truly astounding. I guess this is what this thread is good for.

"that video is like TEH CGI and total bullshit" *doesn't matter that Forza's photomode pictures are generated in the exact same way as that video*
"lulz keep those bullshots away from here, where are the real in-game pictures?" *ignores the fact that all we've seen from F3 are bullshots*
"Off-screen shots? bitch plz!" *goes on to post off-screen shots of F3 to demonstrate its graphical qualities*

Seriously, get a grip people and stop acting like you're all unbiased and better than the rest. This the official thread of complete bullshit and you better recognize it.

Now, let's carry on with the craziness.

We're comparing a game with a ton of screenshots where some do a decent job of representing what a player sees. Unfortunately the screenshot from the FM3 demo that has gotten the most attention right now doesn't do that.

I said "at this point" because I'm sure in time there will be screenshots that accurately portray what you see in game. That isn't the case just yet.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
kinggroin said:
I don't really give a fuck about this thread outside of lols (which haven't been delivered the way I thought), but I had to reply here.

NFS Shift was just released. Love it or hate, it's not mario kart that's for sure.

Maybe it was the recent NFS games credibility problem.

I got it, still haven't played it yet. I'll get started when I'm done with Dirt 2 if and only if FM3 isn't here by then, if so hello FM3 community.

m0dus

Banned
jett said:
Oh m0dus, so now it's ok to show off-screen screenshots? :p

I've said my bit in this thread, but I'll be happy to elaborate:

I said earlier

m0dus said:
nah, it's a photo taken off the TV, It tends to enhance color/contrast in a way which tends to make the shots look more 'real'.
if it's taken off a TV screen, it's probably not representative.

Recap and summary: I said off-screen photos isn't representative of how 'real' something looks (which was the course of the discussion, if you were reading)

m0dus said:
Actual TV output will always look better than buffer caps. these are iphone camera grabs, taken for the purpose of illustrating the edge clarity (as I've said in this very thread, off-screen caps tend to enhance contrast, so ignore that. this isn't trying to prove how 'real' it looks.):

There is no contradiction. I've even bolded the point for your benefit. got it?

Fuck I love jett. Keep tellin it how it is.

Anyway, im here again to defend GT (dont really have anything bad to say about Forza).

That destructoid article mentioned bad trees and a bland city, but watch the gamersyde vid, it looks MUCH improved over prologue, its actually 3d for one. And compared to Forza, its pretty close. I mean, neither game has crysis trees, but GT's look good to me. I've paused it on the tree trunks multiple times and it does not stand out as bad like something from Eiger might. But that whole site is shit so w/e.

McLovin

Just played the F3 demo.. I have to say driving is actually allot of fun.. might even be more fun the Prologue. That said though the visuals aren't even close. GT5:p wins in visuals by a mile.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
jett said:
So? I'm not buying a 360 for Forza 3.

You're loss.

I think you'd actually quite like it... You could pretend to be gruff for both consoles then... I know it's a lot of work but I'm sure you're up to it.

Kolgar

The GT5 release fiasco is a disgrace, but if the game lives up to expectations, I'll take it when I can get it.

I played heck out of Forza 2 until it became a painful grind. I had high hopes for FM3, which I have on preorder (not for long), but after playing the demo just now, I'm unsold.

I'm not hip to the presentation. The cars look cartoony and the environment looks so lifeless and inorganic. The game feels like Forza, with some extra stickum applied to the road, but to be honest, I'm enjoying the more visceral, simulation-be-damned Shift right now. The FM3 demo just left me bored.

Having played GT5P last weekend, I can also safety say that this 2007 demo absolutely destroys FM3 in the graphics department. I'm mightily impressed by GT, and disappointed enough by what I just saw in the FM3 demo to kick over a magazine rack if I was near one.

Melfice7

After watching the F3 california cockpit vid on gamersyde i went comparing with prologue's version and it's so damn different! the lightning, the shadows, the materials texture is vastly superior on prologue (im just comparing the cockpit view)

Shogun PaiN said:
Erm some poor Digi cam pics for everyone. Had to re-size due to them being sent to me at over 1.5mb each. Not great but does the game better justice than the gamersyde shots at least.

2mziryx.jpg
30croqt.jpg
125mfba.jpg
2wpt4wj.jpg
212zajb.jpg

adds nothing to the thread but then I guess it fits in with the rest of the posts that way.

Meh, still not feeling the art style of this. The problem actually is that you can label it "art style". Just does not look real and the trees/rocks look hideous.

Kolgar

schennmu said:
Meh, still not feeling the art style of this. The problem actually is that you can label it "art style". Just does not look real and the trees/rocks look hideous.

Yes, I agree 110%. The art style is such a mixed bag. It's just off. It looks inorganic. Sterile in a computer-generated, "you're-playing-a-video-game" kind of way. A total turnoff for me after weeks and months of scrutinizing photo-mode shots and various videos of the game.

When the first big Ferrari model popped onto my screen in the demo just now, I literally said out loud, "What the fuck? Who put a cartoon car in my Forza?" It looked hand-drawn or cell-shaded or something--not what I was hoping for at all.

BruceLeeRoy said:
To be fair I wouldn't call the environments in the GT games any less sterile.

Well, they certainly are spare at times, save the London track--my fave. The difference is they look so much more convincingly real than what I just saw in FM3.

Kolgar said:
Yes, I agree 110%. The art style sucks. It's just off. It looks inorganic. Sterile in a computer-generated, "you're-playing-a-video-game" kind of way. A total turn-off for me after weeks and months of scrutinizing photo-mode shots and various videos of the game.

When the first big Ferrari model popped onto my screen in the demo just now, I literally said out loud, "What the fuck? Who put a cartoon car in my Forza?" It looked hand-drawn or cell-shaded or something--not what I was hoping for at all.

To be fair I wouldn't call the environments in the GT games any less sterile.

Turn 10 chose this track for the demo, so it must be one of the better looking. Please get some new lead artists for Forza 4! If Forza really wants to be the definitive racing game of this gen, they also have to nail the simulation aspect in the graphics department.

Won't ruin the game for me of course, really looking forward to finally play this (no gold account) More solid car feeling is what I was hoping for and it sounds like they delivered on that front.

skyfinch

schennmu said:
Turn 10 chose this track for the demo, so it must be one of the better looking. Please get some new lead artists for Forza 4! If Forza really wants to be the definitive racing game of this gen, they also have to nail the simulation aspect in the graphics department.

Won't ruin the game for me of course, really looking forward to finally play this (no gold account) More solid car feeling is what I was hoping for and it sounds like they delivered on that front.

Then again, they chose Mugello for their forza 2 demo, and that wasn't the best looking track in the final game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I like this thread just because I can see pretty pictures from racing games. I suck at them so this is nice. Keep 'em coming.

KHarvey16

Kolgar said:
"What the fuck? Who put a cartoon car in my Forza?" It looked hand-drawn or cell-shaded or something--not what I was hoping for at all.

I think there is something wrong with your television.

skyfinch

schennmu said:

You do realize that this track is based off of a real location, right?

mountains-cc-salvadhor.jpg

464441250_875f5b2493.jpg

montserrat-closeup.jpg

schennmu said:

i personally think Amalfi or Fujimi look the best. i dunno. this track looks nice enough to me. the attractiveness of the graphics of the forza series have always been pretty subjective. seems like this is no different.

i think they look fine, FWIW. But i also think that the gameplay is what matters most to me and unless the graphics suck ass, I can't see myself not enjoying the game

skyfinch said:
You do realize that this track is based off of a real location, right?

mountains-cc-salvadhor.jpg

464441250_875f5b2493.jpg

montserrat-closeup.jpg

That's what I meant. Many people seems to think that these rocks are weird, but it's just the way they looks in real life...

Mash

I just got done reading this thread. A few observations:

1. GT5 is clearly the better looking game.
2. Sony fans love them some off-screen shots juxtaposed against the worst Forza shot they could find.
3. There's a few people here who have trolled extremely subtly, and despite Redbeard being more or less a bafoon in his trolling prowess, you've got to admire his not being craven about it like some of you have been.

Anyway, apart fro the eye candy, this thread is depressing. GT5 will be the reason I get a slim, I'm fine with the old career formula. In the mean time I will be playing Shift and Forza.

commedieu

Banned
I think the whole lure of trolling either game, was pretending you weren't biased about it then trolling away...

Sure, some die hards will still duke it out but look at them. Its like watching two blind kittens(whom were exposed to severe radiation) fighting in a tissue box. Interesting at first, but this can only go on for so long. Its obvious where the lines are drawn.

Both of the games are good based on their predecessors, and previews. They both have pros and cons over the other, as any product has.

The problem is when people try claim that 1 isn't needed or desired because they have something else.

Kinda like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIDpCT1tOqE

as for me...

im buyin shift and laying low till march :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Interfectum said:
So now Forza fans
Just the fact that people can accuse someone as being a fan of one game or another in a negative manner demonstrates the major problem with these threads. :lol

Are you REALLY accusing m0dus of all people of being a biased warrior?

thuway

schennmu said:
Say what you want about the car. I personally feel they look cartoony, but do not bash the environments. The environments are leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
thuway said:
Say what you want about the car. I personally feel they look cartoony, but do not bash the environments. The environments are leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.
I wouldn't say leaps and bounds but definitely better. The car difference is bigger to me than the environment, to put things in perspective.

KHarvey16 said:

When I slam head-on into something at a reasonable speed and look at it again on replay it just swaps out the clean model for a damaged one after impact. I thought there would be some actual deformation.

thuway

Red Blaster said:
Was really disappointed with the damage system in the Forza 3 demo, just a lame model swap with the sideview mirrors popping off.

I say this to GT fans as well:

Damage modeling will never be a true-to-life simulation on these consoles. It will be cosmetic, AT BEST.

With a realistic budget, there is no way to model proper damage in this gen. The most you'll get is some pre-baked scratches, dents, etc.-but you'll never get true dynamic destruction. And in all honesty, it doesn't really matter that much.

The amount of time, money, and risk required is just not worth it. These are driving sims - NOT- crashing sims. I don't know why everyone is jumping on the "damage am fail" bandwagon- whether it be for GT5 or Forza 3. Its as if some people here have never played a Sim racer before. Its about driving, its about the sense of speed, its about the thrill of racing.

thuway said:

Forza is using more varied enviroments. More real looking? No. But I'm not sure if they're aiming at that.

1zvphk1.jpg

It just took this shot from NFS Shift (360)

THIS GAME IS FUCKING GORGEUS!!! (Imo prettier than Forza...) But then, it's just 30 fps.

Cat in the Hat said:
Stop complaining bitch and embrace the monster that most gaffers hide with a mask.

The honesty is refreshing

I don't know why these holier-than-thous come in here and complain. I find the blatant honesty/trolling in this thread easier to take the the sneaky, stealthy trolling that plagued the official threads, and this thread has done its job because there's less trolling in those threads now.

----

Bottom line is Forza fans have a game to play, regardless of the differences. This length of time to develop GT5, a videogame, is ridiculous. My guess is proper damage is the main thing for the delay.

AZ Greg

I remember hearing something around Forza 2's launch that the engine was done by/with help from Rare? Did that end up being true? Anyway, I really have no idea if they had any involvement, but between the artistic choices in terms of lighting, color, and backgrounds, F3 really has a Rare-ish look to it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The-Warning said:
I don't know why these holier-than-thous come in here and complain. I find the blatant honesty/trolling in this thread easier to take the the sneaky, stealthy trolling that plagued the official threads, and this thread has done its job because there's less trolling in those threads now.

----

Bottom line is Forza fans have a game to play, regardless of the differences. This length of time to develop GT5, a videogame, is ridiculous. My guess is proper damage is the main thing for the delay.
So you're saying GT5 is better? Not that it the dev time doesn't show the quality of GT5 as it clearly shows.

Baby Milo

Kolgar said:
The GT5 release fiasco is a disgrace, but if the game lives up to expectations, I'll take it when I can get it.

I played heck out of Forza 2 until it became a painful grind. I had high hopes for FM3, which I have on preorder (not for long), but after playing the demo just now, I'm unsold.

I'm not hip to the presentation. The cars look cartoony and the environment looks so lifeless and inorganic. The game feels like Forza, with some extra stickum applied to the road, but to be honest, I'm enjoying the more visceral, simulation-be-damned Shift right now. The FM3 demo just left me bored.

Having played GT5P last weekend, I can also safety say that this 2007 demo absolutely destroys FM3 in the graphics department. I'm mightily impressed by GT, and disappointed enough by what I just saw in the FM3 demo to kick over a magazine rack if I was near one.
pretty much how i feel

m0dus

Banned
Interfectum said:
So now Forza fans are saying off-screen cam photos are acceptable to 'simulate' how the game looks

OK :lol

Nobody said that, bud. But your eagerness to post them reveals your deepest, darkest insecure desires are laid bare before us, no matter how many times you hit the ":lol " button.

Hang in there, trooper. it'll be okay!

Top Bottom