• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

LiquidMetal14 said:
So you're saying GT5 is better? Not that it the dev time doesn't show the quality of GT5 as it clearly shows.
I don't think he said that at all. What he said is GT5 is coming out whenever PD feels like it while Forza is coming very soon.

Something is better than nothing.

1zxurm0.jpg

e1e0k6.jpg

2csf2xl.jpg

5zr3b5.jpg

Bottom line: There are a lot of pretty racing sims. Buy them all!!!

Interfectum

schennmu said:
1zxurm0.jpg

e1e0k6.jpg

2csf2xl.jpg

5zr3b5.jpg

Bottom line: There are a lot of pretty racing sims. Buy them all!!!

Car models definitely on par with Forza's

Lighting is better and so is damage modelling

Is this the definitive racer of this gen?

LiquidMetal14 said:
So you're saying GT5 is better? Not that it the dev time doesn't show the quality of GT5 as it clearly shows.

GT5 looks better, that's all I know at this point. I didn't understand your second sentence :D

thuway

schennmu said:
Forza is using more varied enviroments. More real looking? No. But I'm not sure if they're aiming at that.

It just took this shot from NFS Shift (360)

THIS GAME IS FUCKING GORGEUS!!! (Imo prettier than Forza...) But then, it's just 30 fps.

Wow shift-be-hot. I might check it out. The 30 fps part really hits me hard :(. The smoothness ( + screen tearing lol) of GT5 has really spoiled me.

Melfice7

2dm8rro.jpg

for the people that say environments in GT look bad i mean cmon, the tracks on prologue are daytona, suzuka, fuji that all look bland just like real life, then theres high speed ring, eiger and london that look much better as well as tokyo route

Kolgar

thuway said:
Wow shift-be-hot. I might check it out. The 30 fps part really hits me hard :(. The smoothness ( + screen tearing lol) of GT5 has really spoiled me.

I don't think the 30 fps will bother you. I came off the FM3 demo and put in Shift--it looked and felt buttery smooth (and was a hell of a lot more fun, too).

I'd expected the transition to be jarring, but I was pleasantly surprised.

nib95

Banned
I know this is a strange thread for it, but in the end I never bought Dirt 2, once I found out the up-hill challenges were cut and that there was less variety, but I get a free copy of it with my ATI 5870 anyway (DX11 + G25 baby!).

So, before Forza 3, should I buy NFS Shift? Or should I just wait for Forza 3? I feel like I really need another racing fix. But I wondered what user opinions on Shift were. My only concern is it might get real old/boring real fast.

Kolgar

nib95 said:
I know this is a strange thread for it, but in the end I never bought Dirt 2, once I found out the up-hill challenges were cut and that there was less variety, but I get a free copy of it with my ATI 5870 anyway (DX11 + G25 baby!).

So, before Forza 3, should I buy NFS Shift? Or should I just wait for Forza 3? I feel like I really need another racing fix. But I wondered what user opinions on Shift were. My only concern is it might get real old/boring real fast.

People are having a love/hate relationship with Shift. Check the official thread to see how polarized the opinions are.

Me, I'm having a lot of fun with the more "in-your-face" gameplay, which makes GT5P and Forza seem sedate by comparison. I'm sticking with Shift for my racing thrills this year.

Apparently I'm the only person that has looked at the new release date for GT5 and thought to himself that the competition has cause the delay. It seems to me that PD has taken all this time, and is taking more time, in order to incorporate things that is already in F3, and F2 for that matter.

Its taking time cause they have to implement damage, change of their physics, cockpit for all the interiors, implement rollovers, etc. I'm fairly certain that by the time its released it will probably have a comparable livery tool.

Yeah I said it. For all the dismissing of F3 and its "inferior" graphics it does somethings great and the competition knows it, even if their worshipers don't.

nib95

Banned
D'ultimate said:
Apparently I'm the only person that has looked at the new release date for GT5 and thought to himself that the competition has cause the delay. It seems to me that PD has taken all this time, and is taking more time, in order to incorporate things that is already in F3, and F2 for that matter.

Its taking time cause they have to implement damage, change of their physics, cockpit for all the interiors, implement rollovers, etc. I'm fairly certain that by the time its released it will probably have a comparable livery tool.

Yeah I said it. For all the dismissing of F3 and its "inferior" graphics it does somethings great and the competition knows it, even if their worshipers don't.

Whilst what you're saying could be true to some extent, I don't but it completely. I'm guessing most of those features were tagged to go in the game long before Polyphony even took note of F2 or F3. But I do agree that the competition is probably forcing them to improve on these aspects more than they would have done.

My guess is FFXIII had more to do with the delay than F3.

Baby Milo

yeah i disagree with the GT backgrounds look terrible and bland talk in here.Tokyo,London, and Eiger look beautiful but its clear there going for the realistic as possible look.

Interfectum said:
Is this the definitive racer of this gen?

Maybe, if they fix the bugs and change the AI a bit. The core game is definitely very very good and I'm already looking forward to the next NFS made by Slightly Mad Studios. (Criterion next year should be a blast too)

Whilst what you're saying could be true to some extent, I don't but it completely. I'm guessing most of those features were tagged to go in the game long before Polyphony even took note of F2 or F3. But I do agree that the competition is probably forcing them to improve on these aspects more than they would have done.

My guess is FFXIII had more to do with the delay than F3.

Could be. Its easy to dismiss the inclusions in GT5 as such. But the fact remains that Forza did these things first. I only point it out though cause some in here make it seem as if the Forza series is crap just because its graphics are not at the same level as GT.

Forza has a lot going for it and every GT fan should be grateful. Its my opinion that without it we would have seen another GT come and go with great graphics, a shit load of cars with some online play and not much else.

Its easy to say I'm wrong but I think the delay(s) of GT5 validates my point.

LCfiner

Just spent a bit of time going back and forth between the Forza 3 demo and GT5:p.

yeah, I still think GT5:p looks more realistic and the cars look nicer due mainly to better lighting but…

I have more fun driving in Forza. can’t really explain it. they’re both sim-style racers. they both cover the basics but something about GT feels… antiseptic; scrubbed clean.

it’s just a “feel” that I prefer in Forza.

I’d try harder to articulate it but, honest;y, this thread doesn’t really require that effort :lol

After all the bitching and complaining about PD's "phony CGI and bullshottery", it's amusing to watch certain mouthbreathers twisting in the wind, trying oh so hard to dismiss and downplay those Prologue direct feeds. And the bullshit about "not playing racing games for the graphics" Seriously? Have some fucking integrity. No serious car fan plays racing games exclusively for the graphics, but they are a major part of the package. Anyone that pretends they arent is full of crap. That said.....I cant wait to get my hands on the FM3 demo, FM2 was getting a little hard on the eyes.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
theignoramus said:
Seriously? Have some fucking integrity. No serious car fan plays racing games exclusively for the graphics, but they are a major part of the package. Anyone that pretends they arent is full of crap.
Or maybe they're PC simmers who don't really care about the console franchise battle? Or are they not serious racing fans? ;P

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
skybaby said:
If you have any side in this battle, you fucking lose. I'm playing the fuck out of these 2 games :D

Well, this thread is full of people who lose... which is why it was created. All the filth is in here. It's the usual PS3 only vs. 360 only gamers. Arguing over which mega corporation has produced the game with the best graphics so they can sleep at night.

Iknos

Red Blaster said:
Was really disappointed with the damage system in the Forza 3 demo, just a lame model swap with the sideview mirrors popping off.

Most games use a model swap on damaged parts. You failed to mention the broken glass and bumpers.

If you've played the demo you would have seen the damage model has been much improved. Every part is more sensitive to damage.

I hate racing sims, so I'm gonna put my random 2 cents in.

a) Gran Turismo looks better. Doesn't mean Forza looks shit, but GT looks better. Always has

b) Both play like shit, but Forza plays better than GT. Always has. Judging from thr Forza demo, and GT Prologue, this trend is continuing.

c) I hate racing sims, but I'm buying both these games. They look fucking hot.

ShogunX

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I hate racing sims, so I'm gonna put my random 2 cents in.

a) Gran Turismo looks better. Doesn't mean Forza looks shit, but GT looks better. Always has

b) Both play like shit, but Forza plays better than GT. Always has. Judging from thr Forza demo, and GT Prologue, this trend is continuing.

c) I hate racing sims, but I'm buying both these games. They look fucking hot.

Does not compute.

senahorse

skybaby said:
If you have any side in this battle, you fucking lose. I'm playing the fuck out of these 2 games :D

Exactly, why limit yourself to 1 of 2 awesome games just for internet wars. Timing is perfect for both of these games, by the time I am done with F3, GT5 will be hitting :D

Insertia

As far as tracks go, I prefer GT by a laaaarge margin from what I've seen of the two.

Personally I think the Forza 3 demo track is ugly as sin. It looks like an Unreal Tournament map with a road.

Insertia said:
Personally I think the Forza 3 demo track is ugly as sin. It looks like an Unreal Tournament map with a road.

Not ugly so much as boring. The scenery reminds me of So Cal. Spanish name so it's probably supposed to.

The Sedona track looks pretty.

J-Rzez

D'ultimate said:
Apparently I'm the only person that has looked at the new release date for GT5 and thought to himself that the competition has cause the delay.

That's because it's not hard to think that when you have the competition releasing two full games by time you release one full game, you just don't care. KY was always super ambitious. You can tell that from interviews back in the PS1 days. He just never had the hardware, I guess until now. Problem is with him being like this is that he's trying to throw all these features in at once with limited trial by fire. And this is the outcome, a game that takes ages to launch. But I'll be damned if it doesn't look incredible. I was for sure thinking that nothing would catch my eye like Uncharted 2 did any time soon, but I was wrong with the newer videos of GT5.

I just hope PD makes proper changes where they were needed in the physics engine. And this game better for damn sure release quickly. Sony is so full of fail if they let this game go for months behind the JP launch for the US and EU. But it wouldn't surprise me to say the least, considering the massive fuck up that they don't have this launching in Dec. It's like they just completely forget the economic conditions where many people are only willing to spend during the holiday season. Yeah, it's great that there's potentially 3 huge games launching in the new years months (MAG, GoW3, GT5), but they really should've padded their holiday line up.

Zaptruder

Banned
D'ultimate said:

Oh yeah, I'm definetly giving props to Forza for galvanizing the competition, making them sweat.

And if these franchises were developed in isolation, it might've been forza that came out on top simply due to the additional game features and modes.

But as it is, it looks like GT is still going to keep their crown, at least among car enthusiasts and in commercial mind share.

So at the end of the day, Forza team might have more vocal and ardent supporters, and that's great for them... but 1. it doesn't necessarily bring in the cash money, and 2. most supporters tend to become vocal and ardent when you're pushed into a minority situation!

ZeusII

Neo Member
I'm a bit disapointed with the forza demo... expected it to look much better. gonna replay it tonight and try to tweak the settings a bit... I guess this is what happens when you rush a game.

anyways, I'm going to buy it and so, GT5 when it releases (if they are able to finish it... xD)

however, living near the Montserrat mountain, I find the circuit a bit crappy... ¿why botter to create a ficticious circuit when you can just use the real roads in the mountain and do a nice uphill/downhill race with lots of turns?

Top Bottom