• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

m0dus

Banned
The demo track is quite a bit of fun. I see why T10 chose it--nice variation in turns and elevation. Still, I think a point-to-point would have been a better choice.

As far as the demo goes, it doesn't feel rushed at all. It's barebones as far as features, yeah. But, again: Demo.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Looking at both in motion, GT5P is still better looking than anything I've seen of F3. The scenery does look better in Forza though. Overall it's definitely GT5 which is the graphics king.

Indeed but it's funny that the German gaming press had the same opinion of the two games after Gamescom. Apart from the graphics of course.

GT is huge in Germany but the demo just didn't do it for the press.

I'm sure I'll enjoy both and I couldn't care less about console wars.

chrislowe

why do they have damage in FM3 when real cars doesnt deform like that after a crash.
The bumpers made of plastic doesnt bend like metall in real life for sure.

hie

XiaNaphryz said:
Or maybe they're PC simmers who don't really care about the console franchise battle? Or are they not serious racing fans? ;P

:lol

no shit. framerate >>> graphics on PC sims (or any, for that matter). Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying I don't enjoy pretty things, but I think most sim fans have other things higher on the list.

filopilo

theignoramus said:
Any technical minded person know if GT5's lighting is fully dynamic?

Is the lighting being baked into the cars?

Yeah ,the lighting is baked every 15-16ms into the cars ...

More seriously , i think the secret of their car shading is in some kind or mesured BRDF.
Pd car shading is above anything.

m0dus

Banned
I think bringing PC sims into the discussion is irrelevant, as the main allure of GT/Forza is the cult of the car lover; something that demands ability to drive cars that AREN'T always plastered with 75 sponsor decals, outfitted with a rollcage, and limited to 1 or 2 team colors.
People like to race things they'd like to have, say, in their garage or parking spot.

Flo_Evans

2wgt2ye.jpg

14sh6c7.jpg

x0v915.jpg

21k08zb.jpg

b8sah5.jpg

o6i9u0.jpg

2h5314g.jpg

33y6vtd.jpg

167nxis.jpg

md1edy.jpg

33couhg.jpg

2ywtwjs.jpg

Clearly they both look awesome. Seeing both side to side GT has nicer car models/lighting and Forza has better envioronments. Wish we had Trail Mountain in prolouge though I think it would be a more similar track. :D

Iknos

Having played the FM3 demo should I do a comparison post between FM3 Demo and Prologue?

Make it highly details and cover every aspect of both racers?

Or is this thread going to remain a steaming pile of troll crap?

Iknos said:
Having played the FM3 demo should I do a comparison post between FM3 Demo and Prologue?

The entire premise of this thread is to call trolls and fanboys out of the woodwork, kind of like a yearly bowel cleansing. They did it with GTA4, they'll do it with another game sometime soon. It's enjoyable, and to be honest if I really wanted to compare the games I'd play them both myself, not rely on screenshots and second hand opinions to convince me which one is better.

The thread could be about the differences between the colors of the 360 vs. PS3 controllers, wouldn't mean shit. The point remains the same! :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Iknos said:

Do it.

filopilo said:
Well I've read the argument that FM2 and 3 cant have GT quality lighting because they cant bake the lighting into the cars due to the customization options they provide the player. I wanted to know if this was a position that had any merit. Was GT4's lighting (not shadowing) completely baked?

DarkJC

Iknos said:

As someone who has played the crap out of Prologue and who is unable to play the FM3 demo due to red rings, I'd appreciate this.

XiaNaphryz said:
Or maybe they're PC simmers who don't really care about the console franchise battle?
Then they wouldnt be advancing that argument (on behalf of FM3) in the FORZA 3 VS. GT5 COMPARISON thread. Right?

and once again:
filopilo said:
I've read the argument that FM2 and 3 cant have GT quality lighting because they cant bake the lighting into the cars due to the customization options they provide the player. I wanted to know if this was a position that had any merit. Was GT4's lighting (not shadowing) completely baked?

Iknos said:

Do it anyway.

Was GT4's lighting (not shadowing) completely baked?

Of course not.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
theignoramus said:
Well I've read the argument that FM2 and 3 cant have GT quality lighting because they cant bake the lighting into the cars due to the customization options they provide the player. I wanted to know if this was a position that had any merit. Was GT4's lighting (not shadowing) completely baked?

In theory they could re-bake lighting into customised cars using similar methods to how they do it on their computers in the first place. Wouldn't be realtime, but you'd only need to do it once, then store that data on the HDD (or worst case do it each time you change your car)

on another note: so wait a minute, the photomode shots Turn 10 has been cranking out for the past three fucking months are not the actual vehicles we get to race with?
I mean obviously nobody expected the game to be that smooth, but we're not talking about drop in AA or LoD management here, we're talking about a fundamental drop in detail?
What the fuck?!!!

theignoramus said:
on another note: so wait a minute, the photomode shots Turn 10 has been cranking out for the past three fucking months are not the actual vehicles we get to race with?
I mean obviously nobody expected the game to be that smooth, but we're not talking about drop in AA or LoD management here, we're talking about a fundamental drop in detail?
What the fuck?!!!

Some people said that the geometry is more detailed (higher poly count) in replays/photo mode, but I don't know if that is true.

theignoramus said:
What the fuck?!!!

Che flat out denied that the models would different. Somebody posted some comparison pics in the FM3 demo thread and they are clearly different! They are lower poly and have inferior textures.

Some people said that the geometry is more detailed (higher poly count) in replays/photo mode, but I don't know if that is true.

go to the FM3 demo thread.

pswii60

The cars in GT5 do look incredible IMO - but that has always been the true talent of PD. But I would estimate that Forza will likely again have the better physics, AI, customisation and of course damage - all that has to take a hit somewhere, especially without the "power of CELL" , and undoubtably this is on the graphics. That said, Forza 3 doesn't look so bad! I still prefer the GT tracks though and the addition of Rally and NASCAR makes it more interesting to me.

Che flat out denied that the models would different. Somebody posted some comparison pics in the FM3 demo thread and they are clearly different! They are lower poly and have inferior textures.

Seriously? Did Chespace really deny this?
Either way, those photomode shots are totally misleading if the cars dont look that way when you drive them. Everyone assumed they would look that way when viewed up close.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how good is the 360 wheel compared to say a G25? All these demo impressions and stuff have me really wanting to try out Forza, but I don't have a 360 anymore. If I bought one, I'd want it to work with the wheel if possible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
theignoramus said:
Either way, those photomode shots are totally misleading if the cars dont look that way when you drive them.

Everyone assumed they would look that way when viewed up close.

aren't those different things? If you're driving it, you won't see it that close compared to the menus/photo mode.

Atrophis

theignoramus said:
Either way, those photomode shots are totally misleading if the cars dont look that way when you drive them. Everyone assumed they would look that way when viewed up close.

Yup. Someone came into the Forza thread and started trolling the photomode shots claiming they used higher poly car models, higher resolution sky box and higher quality trackside scenary. He went through each point and denied them.

theignoramus said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16902781&postcount=4169

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16494589&postcount=2473

The interior just looks like total blackness when you're outside the car in a race. In photomode, the windows are clear and the interior is rendered. That is the biggest difference I noticed. That, and the tail lights are totally different. Che is a flat out liar.

aren't those different things? If you're driving it, you won't see it that close compared to the menus/photo mode.
It seems like it would be noticeable when playing with an overhead view. Going by those photos in the FM3 thread, the drop in geometry seems pretty significant to me.
But that's not the point here, the point is that we appear to have been mislead. If the photomode cars dont retain that geometry while driving, then it's freaking misleading to pretend that they do.

Dra-Q

Banned
theignoramus said:

He works for Turn10, would should he say?

I just have so much trouble accepting this, because it makes Chespace look like such a shady fuck. Is there any other explanation for the drop in quality?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I don't get it. It doesn't look half bad.

Judging by you guys you would think he took pictures of real cars when the game looks like Cruisin' Wii.

It's not the first racing game to use photo mode to look good.

Durante

user_nat said:
I don't get it. It doesn't look half bad.
I think the point is that he flat out lied. Most people associated with a game understandably try to present it in the best possible light, but that's going a bit far.

[...]because it makes Chespace look like such a shady fuck[...]

You act like a want this to be true. Hop out of ultra defense mode for a second.
I'm buying FM3 the day it releases, because I played the living fuck out of FM2.
I spent three months being impressed by the photomode shots like everyone else, because their looking nice and I expected the vehicles to look like that when I played the game.
(minus the AA)
So i really don't want to believe that Turn 10's community manager was being a shady fuck and lying to everyone the entire time, because I built my expectations around his hype.

Dra-Q

Banned
Durante said:
I think the point is that he flat out lied. Most people associated with a game understandably try to present it in the best possible light, but that's going a bit far.

Well, Che trolled GT5 in every GT thread, so it's delicious that he lied for his company's game.

Puck

Banned
which game will get me more pussy if i purchased it? i am currently performing a swot analysis of both games, and they seem pretty equal so far.

which game is shinier? girls like shiny things.

theignoramus said:
You act like a want this to be true. Hop out of ultra defense mode for a second.
I'm buying FM3 the day it releases, because I played the living fuck out of FM2.
I spent three months being impressed by the photomode shots like everyone else, because their looking nice and I expected them to look like that when I played the game.
So i really don't want to believe that Turn 10's community manager was being a shady fuck and lying to everyone the entire time, because I built my expectations around his hype.

Have you played the demo yet?

Top Bottom