• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

-viper-

Banned
Rockstar said:
Here are some comparison pics, to me, Gt Prologue is still better than Forza 3...

http://www.tagames.net/screenshotscap/comparativa[/quote]
I seriously fail to understand why everyone claims the tracks in GT5 look awful (this is a clear myth. Although Daytona for example just looks plain as hell). In those pictures, they look on par if not better than the tracks in Forza 3. Everything just looks more cleaner and realistic.

shpankey

not an idiot
damn, Forza did a damn good job modeling that 2009 Mazdaspeed 3. Looks identical to my car, color and all. Different rims but oh well.

oh and MS3 FTMFW! :D

jett

D-Member
skyfinch said:
http://users.telenet.be/mijas_65/gt5sls001.jpg[IMG]

Come on now. We've seen the game play and replay videos. You can't tell me the cast shadows from the trees look like this.[/QUOTE]

Yea yeah they're bullshots, the "jaggies"(a case of bad downsampling) messed me up. The original screens are something ridiculous like 3000x2000.

skyfinch said:
Come on now. We've seen the game play and replay videos. You can't tell me the cast shadows from the trees look like this.

Exactly, I noticed that right off the bat when watching the direct feed gameplay videos of GT5 from TGS. The shadows on the car are very polygonal, almost like black shards of glass pasted on the car.

My opinion of the whole comparison is this:
first of all, pretty much 99% of this thread is devoted to graphics. WTF? How about some gameplay/physics/audio/online/community comparisons? I think we've beaten the graphics thing to death already. GT looks better, where it counts, Forza looks better in other places maybe where it doesn't count so much. PD obviously knows what people's eyes are drawn to and they maximize the look of those things. Whatever. We get it. Graphics. Check.

Now what?

Honestly if I was truly a neutral person (I'll admit I am not), this thread sure as hell won't help me make a buying decision (is that even what it's for?). Most people already have one or the other console (not both) so their decision is probably much easier. For those without either console, I pray for you :)

Zezboob said:
And ?

You were complaining about Che saying that models from the photoshop mode were not different from the in race mode.
Not that menu models were different from in race models.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but for me you are doing an amalgam. But whatever.

Menu models are the same high poly models as the ones from photomode bullshots.
I didnt pay any attention to what Chespace said in that other thread, I simply made the rationale assumption that the photomode models only had more AA.
Why exactly are you trying to confuse the situation here???

You are focusing on petty semantics when that isnt the point. The point is that every single photomode shot is highly misleading, since those high poly models are not even used during gameplay/replay. This is what is upsetting me. What's even more mind blowing is that Chespace apparently denied that this was happening. (I wasnt aware that he had even commented on this issue until it was pointed out to me)

Quit deliberately misinterpreting me. The game doesnt use the high poly models when you are actually playing it. We were lead to believe that this was the case.

ResidentDante said:
Do you enjoy the minimal smoke and marks from the tires, and not to mention the totally missing damage and the PS1-like crash physics too? :D

Well, I do.....cause it's hilarious :lol

It really wouldn't take much for GT5 to match up to Forza 3's shitty damage model.

Tannhauser

Neo Member
TheHeretic said:
There are spectators in the Forza 3 demo as well, they are 3D but pretty low res.

As a PC gamer who plays games on a monitor a lot of the time Forza 3 held up better than 95% of what i've played on either system. Its surprisingly sharp and well detailed.

GT5's lighting is really amazing, but I don't see anything a generation ahead. Both games look inferior to PC racing games in terms of graphics, which is why I find this entire argument so puzzling. Forza and GT5 may be the two premier racing sims but if graphics are so important people should be buying PC's.

The interiors are undoubtedly better in GT5 (though I prefer the camera position of Forza) and in terms of detail both games look roughly equivalent. GT5 seems to have more AA, a higher rendering resolution or potentially both from what i'm seeing. Forza also has a more stylized look than GT5 which is going for pure realism, the environments for example look more "gamey" which winds up looking better in my opinion.
That seems entirely untrue. Simulation is more accomplished as the PC market caters to far more realistic simulators in general, be it flying a plane or racing a car; but it does not even come close to sort of production values you'll see on consoles.

SeaOfMadness said:
Exactly, I noticed that right off the bat when watching the direct feed gameplay videos of GT5 from TGS. The shadows on the car are very polygonal, almost like black shards of glass pasted on the car.

My opinion of the whole comparison is this:
first of all, pretty much 99% of this thread is devoted to graphics. WTF? How about some gameplay/physics/audio/online/community comparisons? I think we've beaten the graphics thing to death already. GT looks better, where it counts, Forza looks better in other places maybe where it doesn't count so much. PD obviously knows what people's eyes are drawn to and they maximize the look of those things. Whatever. We get it. Graphics. Check.

Now what?

Honestly if I was truly a neutral person (I'll admit I am not), this thread sure as hell won't help me make a buying decision (is that even what it's for?). Most people already have one or the other console (not both) so their decision is probably much easier. For those without either console, I pray for you :)

Basically. I mean why is having different car models with different levels of details depending on what you are doing? Obviously they did it because the frame rate would take a hit, so they lowered the fidelity in races and kept the higher fidelity models in places where the system can handle it, like the show room. Why would having one model for everything be better? It makes no sense.

From what I know about the games GT5 has twice as many Cars, F3 has twice as many unique tracks, F3 seems to have a better "career mode" (never played a Forza game) and community features. As far as driving mechanics, physics, damage or even online really no attempt at a comparison has taken place. Its just bullshots fighting bullshots which makes the whole thing a guise for console warriors to run rampant.

theignoramus said:
You are focusing on petty semantics when that isnt the point. The point is that every single photomode shot is highly misleading, since those high poly models are not even used during gameplay/replay. This is what is upsetting me. What's even more mind blowing is that Chespace apparently denied that this was happening. (I wasnt aware that he had even commented on this issue until it was pointed out to me)

The fucking demo is available RIGHT NOW to see how the game looks. And assuming photomode shots use better models, who cares? It makes the photomode shots look better, which is the whole point. If the system could handle using those models in game it would, but it can't. They might as well make every aspect of the game look as good as it possible can.

As far as Chespace denying it really its irrelevant at this point. Its crystal clear how the game actually looks for anyone who owns a 360 and bothers to download the game.

LCfiner

SeaOfMadness said:

No, it's to keep all the fanboy shit out of the official threads.

it's a sacrificial anode on the bottom of a ship.

jett

D-Member
SeaOfMadness said:
Honestly if I was truly a neutral person (I'll admit I am not), this thread sure as hell won't help me make a buying decision (is that even what it's for?)

This thread is simply to expunge the madness from the two official threads. :p The GT5 thread at least is clean and has non of this bullshit anymore.

And assuming photomode shots use better models, who cares? It makes the photomode shots look better, which is the whole point. If the system could handle using those models in game it would, but it can't. They might as well make every aspect of the game look as good as it possible can.

As far as Chespace denying it really its irrelevant at this point.

What fucking bullshit.
It's just as slippery as GT5p's false "1080p" marketing.

LCfiner said:
No, it's to keep all the fanboy shit out of the official threads.

it's a sacrificial anode on the bottom of a ship.

i get that.. i guess it's like 2 sides fighting it out in a spectacle when no one is watching :)

but you would think people would realize the futility in the whole thing. i can't imagine what any fanboy hopes to accomplish here. generally the goal is to "convert" someone to their side.. that ain't happening here.

but i guess it's fun to watch and participate every so often. so carry on :)

theignoramus said:
What fucking bullshit.

Its about as slippery as anything Sony ever claimed about the PS3 years ago. Marketing is over-promising, especially in this industry. In fact if you didn't release manipulated images of games at this point people would probably think the game looks terrible.

No doubt both companies are releasing photos that are obviously very loosely based on what their respective engines are capable of, but its expected and someone who knows anything about video gaming you are expected to anticipate it and look past it. Not post the doctored photos as evidence one game looks better than another.

Tannhauser

Neo Member
TheHeretic said:
From what I know about the games GT5 has twice as many Cars, F3 has twice as many unique tracks, F3 seems to have a better "career mode" (never played a Forza game) and community features. As far as driving mechanics, physics, damage or even online really no attempt at a comparison has taken place. Its just bullshots fighting bullshots which makes the whole thing a guise for console warriors to run rampant.
Can an attempt at a proper comparison be made when both games have not been released? A comparison thread like this should be used for judging technical differences only, and the majority of the media that has been released is going to provoke discussion regarding the visuals, that's only natural.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tannhauser said:
Can an attempt at a proper comparison be made when both games have not been released?
The most that can be done is to compare the F3 demo with GT5:p. But as was stated several times, this thread was created to clean up the main game threads.

Tannhauser said:
Can an attempt at a proper comparison be made when both games have not been released? A comparison thread like this should be used for judging technical differences only, and the majority of the media that has been released is going to provoke discussion regarding the visuals, that's only natural.

The demo's of both games are out, that should be enough to have something going.

TheHeretic said:
Its about as slippery as anything Sony ever claimed about the PS3 years ago. Marketing is over-promising, especially in this industry. In fact if you didn't release manipulated images of games at this point people would probably think the game looks terrible.

No doubt both companies are releasing photos that are obviously very loosely based on what their respective engines are capable of, but its expected and someone who knows anything about video gaming you are expected to anticipate it and look past it. Not post the doctored photos as evidence one game looks better than another.

Dont try to sweep this into the same category as a regular bullshot, a conventional bullshot simply enhances the IQ. This is something else entirely. It's Bullshit.
Feel free to name the games with equally misleading bullshots.

theignoramus said:
What fucking bullshit.

There's nothing false about it, even if it isn't 1920x1080. There's no such thing as true 1080p or false 1080p.

theignoramus said:
Dont try to sweep this into the same category as a regular bullshot, a conventional bullshot simply enhances the IQ. This is something else entirely. It's Bullshit.

No, its how the cars look in one aspect of the game versus another, and from a technical standpoint it makes perfect sense. If I were leading the marketing department I wouldn't bother explaining the differences anyway, because most people aren't going to notice and even if they do they aren't going to care.

jabipun

I haven't played Gran Turismo in awhile (last one was the 4 for PS2) - but all I can say was that the Forza 3 demo was pretty kickass. Game feels different than GT 3/4 -- Forza 3 runs at 60 fps does it?

I wish they added a bit more oomph to the driving. You know, get rid of the retard music and up the engine and tire sounds, and give it more impact when you shift gears. Even though shifting gears should sound quiet and smooth for some of these cars, they should add a little more feeling to it if not for the reason that you're pressing B / X to up/downshift. It's pretty underwhelming.

Also, the track seemed kind of narrowed - like, a bit tunnel vision. I don't know. My HDTV settings are right. Who knows.

Other than that I enjoyed Forza 3. It could also be since I haven't played a racing game in so long.

How are steering wheels for racing games? Do they add to the experience/crucial - as in an arcade stick to Street Fighter...

PS: I wasn't really impressed visually with the game...I thought it was okay/passable. 60 fps was sexy though.

PPS: What are all these Kanye West "ima let you finish, but (X) is better" - link please?

Dabanton

jett said:
This thread is simply to expunge the madness from the two official threads. :p The GT5 thread at least is clean and has non of this bullshit anymore.

Good thing too seeing as you have the most posts in this thread...

jett 66
Slayer-33 61
KHarvey16 52
XiaNaphryz 37
theignoramus 35

kodt

Banned
H_Prestige said:
There's nothing false about it, even if it isn't 1920x1080. There's no such thing as true 1080p or false 1080p.

Wouldn't true 1080p be the game is rendered an displayed at 1080p.

False would be the game is rendered at something less than 1080p and then upscaled to display at 1080p.

+Aliken+

ferrari3.jpg

ferrari3.jpg

Looking at the two I prefer the cockpit view in Froza.
Too much interior in the GT5 version. Even though that does give you more mirror, which is my complain in the Froza view.

Also the Froza seems more accurate looking at the dashboard.
http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpa...ion/2009-Ferrari-California-Production-01.jpg

kodt said:
Wouldn't true 1080p be the game is rendered an displayed at 1080p.

False would be the game is rendered at something less than 1080p and then upscaled to display at 1080p.

It's rendering resolution is 1280x1080. 1080 lines of vertical resolution is 1080p.

theignoramus said:
What fucking bullshit.
1080p does not imply 1920x1080. It only specifies the vertical resolution and whether it's interlaced or progressive.

Zezboob

theignoramus said:
Menu models are the same high poly models as the ones from photomode bullshots.
I didnt pay any attention to what Chespace said in that other thread, I simply made the rationale assumption that the photomode models only had more AA.
Why exactly are you trying to confuse the situation here???

Quit deliberately misinterpreting me. The game doesnt use the high poly models when you are actually playing it. We were lead to believe that this was the case.
Man, did you check the link I gave in my first answer ?
What can you see ? On the first picture ? A low LOD model of the G37.

Now, let's try to make it easy.
1) this pic is from the photomode
2) the car looks like this in game at this distance

Conclusion ? The models in photomode are the same in race. The models in photomode are not the same of the menu.

There is no semantics or other problem. It's only that you insist on assuming that photomode models and menu models are the sames, while they are definitely not the same.

If we go back to your post, your complaint was not about Che saying that models from menu and photomode are the same, but Che saying saying that models from photomode and in race are the same, which seems to be true (sorry, I didn't bother to compare every pics available with the demo).

Period.

H_Prestige said:
How is it misleading? The game says it outputs both 720p and 1080p. And the game does exactly that without any internal upscaling.

1080P is synonymous with a resolution with a certain number of pixels. How is claiming something is 1080P whilst having a far less pixels than a true 1080P image anything but misleading?

People assume 1080p to be 1920x1080, but they shouldn't make that assumption. Really, it's just same ol' marketing shit that we even use such stupid labels like "1080p" and "Full HD." I've always thought that we should refer to display resolution in pixel count, like we do with cameras. So a 1920x1080 display would be called 2.1MP and a 1280x720 display would be 0.9MP. I guess those don't look nearly as impressive as 1080P!!!1!ZOMG!

ShapeGSX

CrayzeeCarl said:
People assume 1080p to be 1920x1080, but they shouldn't make that assumption. Really, it's just same ol' marketing shit that we even use such stupid labels like "1080p" and "Full HD." I've always thought that we should refer to display resolution in pixel count, like we do with cameras. So a 1920x1080 display would be called 2.1MP and a 1280x720 display would be 0.9MP. I guess those don't look nearly as impressive as 1080P!!!1!ZOMG!

I'd be pretty pissed if I bought a 1080p TV and it turned out it was only 1280x1080.

Zezboob said:
Man, did you check the link I gave in my first answer

If we go back to your post, your complaint was not about Che saying that models from menu and photomode are the same, but Che saying saying that models from photomode and in race are the same, which seems to be true (sorry, I didn't bother to compare every pics available with the demo).

Period.

Then why do the cars from the demo footage have blacked out interiors?

LCfiner

theignoramus said:
Then why do the cars from the demo footage have blacked out interiors?

i was playing the demo last night and I plowed into another car, T-bone style and I could see the inside of the car i hit plus the driver. then through the window out to the rest of the environment. I was in bumper cam view

it wasn't blacked out.

maybe it's only blacked out for cars a certain distance away? a LoD thing?

m0dus

Banned
TheHeretic said:
1080P is synonymous with a resolution with a certain number of pixels. How is claiming something is 1080P whilst having a far less pixels than a true 1080P image anything but misleading?

look at it this way,

if he went out and bought a TV advertised as "1080p" but when he got home he discovered, to his surprise, the ACTUAL pixel resolution is 1280 x 1080 and not 1920 x 1080, would he want his money back? :)

To throw the question back at you, would that still somehow be better than a TV outputting at 720p? ;-)

FLAME ON

LCfiner said:
i was playing the demo last night and I plowed into another car, T-bone style and I could see the inside of the car i hit plus the driver. then through the window out to the rest of the environment. I was in bumper cam view

it wasn't blacked out.

maybe it's only blacked out for cars a certain distance away? a LoD thing?

Yeah, I've seen the back of the engine in the California or whatever the one is you see through the back window.

Top Bottom