• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Zezboob said:
Oh wow. Ok now I get it.

Bail out. Have fun guys. ;)
Maybe I exaggerated a bit, but with your opening post, it seemed like you were gearing for a fight. When you posted that, it had already been explained (in the actual FM3 demo thread by people playing the game) that the situation wasnt normal LOD bias, so I took your post as condescension.

G Rom said:
Pure digital (4:2:2) direct feed on both platform to be as fair as possible.
Lossless PNG (click on thumbnails).
Have fun!

PS: We love both games here at TXGM…

3953881104_3471bfeb3e_o.png

3953881244_b2ca7ba52b_o.png

At least a decent and unbiased comparison.

belvedere said:
Good thing that Prologue is just that, a Prologue and doesn't even represent 10% of the final product.

Things are getting kind of sad now.

:lol

If PD would actually finish their game sometime this decade I would be happy to compare that instead.:D

shpankey

not an idiot
Dina said:
He also just admitted never playing one of them, ever. Guess what that makes of his opinion on anything besides bullshot comparison.

Because that's what missing in this thread, imo. GT5(P) looks better then Forza3 in general, even a blind man can see that, but that's only one side of the medallion. How does it actually drive? How is the careermode? The amount of options? Multiplayer options and playability? Does GT5 have the equivalent of the F3 storefront? Because if, after so many years of development, GT5 only moves the genre forward with its graphics, then I weep for the genre as a whole.
bingo

I completely agree. I think GT5 looks better, but that's not to say F3 doesn't look awesome. but for a sim racer, graphics are way down on the totem pole. having graphics as good as F3 and GT5 is just an awesome bonus. I just wish GT5 could do better with online play since it has the NASCAR license. i miss playing NR03 online against 42 real people, live, with virtually no lag at all. and that was 6 years ago.

belvedere

Junior Butler
SuperEnemyCrab said:
If PD would actually finish their game sometime this decade I would be happy to compare that instead.:D

Haha, very true. If they deliver on what they're promising, like every long wait for a GT game, it will be worth it. I'll be cussing them then too.

grendelrt

akachan ningen said:
I suppose those gameswire comparisons are also unfair to FM3? They look pretty good to me.

comp.jpg

The forza evo x cockpit isnt accurate if its supposed be stock. The vent coloring is all wrong, look at the GT5 shot its much closer, the vents look weird as well. The forza shot is an MR, but the vents arent silver or shaped that way as far as i know. Thats my fuel for more war :) And dont call BS i drive an Evo X :p

G Rom said:
Have fun!

hey GT fans, I got this one covered for ya:

GT5P is 2 years old!!!1one one

and

we want gameplay pictures not menu pictures

aka. move along, nothing to see here. amirite?

This is my last pic post and I'll put it here to keep the Forza demo thread clean. But these are pretty telling pictures. Left is Forza 2, middle is Forza 3 in game, right is Forza 3 menu. As you can see, F2 and F3 do not look that different. Certainly not the big jump Turn 10 was advertising. I was expecting the cars in F3 to look like the menu screen models. Why did Turn 10 release all those bogus photo mode screens?

souz5z.jpg

ifd8vd.jpg

1z1r5md.jpg

vmrakn.jpg

Original files were huge so had to scale them down.

Interfectum

SeaOfMadness said:

and

Doesn't everyone?

Apart from Che and Forza fans and it's obvious why now :lol

imtehman

Banned
shpankey said:
bingo

I completely agree. I think GT5 looks better, but that's not to say F3 doesn't look awesome. but for a sim racer, graphics are way down on the totem pole. having graphics as good as F3 and GT5 is just an awesome bonus. I just wish GT5 could do better with online play since it has the NASCAR license. i miss playing NR03 online against 42 real people, live, with virtually no lag at all. and that was 6 years ago.

its pretty evident in Prologue twhat the devs priorities were.

Zaptruder

Banned
G Rom said:
Have fun!

I thought they were the same game just scanning past the thumbnails...

but they both look really good there. Forza guys could stand to do better grilles, while GT guys could stand to increase the AA level on the show room display.

Too bad only one game keeps that level of detail while racing though (or at least does better LOD).

theignoramus said:
Maybe I exaggerated a bit, but with your opening post, it seemed like you were gearing for a fight. When you posted that, it had already been explained (in the actual FM3 demo thread by people playing the game) that the situation wasnt normal LOD bias, so I took your post as condescension.

dude. enough already.

models *while driving* are NOT the same as the models in the menu where you pick the car color and I'm pretty sure the SAME (high poly) model is used in photo mode (which we cannot access in the demo, by the way so we cannot verify this yet)

so to sum up:

menus/photo mode - HIGH poly model
countdown before race also appears to use this high poly model (hence the GIF someone posted earlier where the car switches detail level just before the start of the race)

gameplay AND replays seem to use the lower poly model(s)

now I'm not sure if you're trying to claim that GT doesn't do this so therefore "it wins" (i'm pretty sure they do this as well) or if you are trying to catch someone in a lie, or something else?

sportzheadWhy did Turn 10 release all those bogus photo mode screens? [/QUOTE said:
because they are not "bogus" photo mode screens. likely they are exactly what you'd get if YOU took them in photo mode. i think people were smart enough to know that photo mode is not the same as gameplay. it's always been that way.

somewhere someone got the idea that gameplay would look like that (?) and is now disappointed, but i for one wasn't expecting the gameplay visuals to match photo mode.. knowing what I know about game development, that's never the case.

Interfectum

sportzhead said:
This is my last pic post and I'll put it here to keep the Forza demo thread clean. But these are pretty telling pictures. Left is Forza 2, middle is Forza 3 in game, right is Forza 3 menu. As you can see, F2 and F3 do not look that different. Certainly not the big jump Turn 10 was advertising. I was expecting the cars in F3 to look like the menu screen models. Why did Turn 10 release all those bogus photo mode screens?

http://i34.tinypic.com/souz5z.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/ifd8vd.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/1z1r5md.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/vmrakn.jpg
Original files were huge so had to scale them down.

To compete with GT5P's in-game models.

It was the only way and a lot of people were duped unfortunately.

Interfectum said:
Doesn't everyone?

Apart from Che and Forza fans and it's obvious why now :lol

yep, just as expected. we just glossed right over the taxi gamer comparison. care to comment on that besides one of the 2 responses I gave you already? didn't think so. they both look fantastic. can we at least agree on that before moving on to bigger and better things?

aren't there already a bunch of in-game driving comparisons in this thread? do we need to repost them? or are you asking the taxi gamer guys to do it since they have better source images?

Dina

belvedere said:
Good thing that Prologue is just that, a Prologue and doesn't even represent 10% of the final product.

Things are getting kind of sad now.

I thought Supercrab's comparison was pretty smart and spot-on, but I guess it does paint GT5 in a negative light, so feel free to disagree.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
sportzhead said:
Left is Forza 2, middle is Forza 3 in game, right is Forza 3 menu. As you can see, F2 and F3 do not look that different.

I think it's actually quite impressive that Forza 3's in game model looks as good - if not better - than Forza 2's photomode model. In two years that's a feat.

jett

D-Member
SeaOfMadness said:

and

Dear god you're probably the biggest hypocrite in this bitch. Just some pages ago you were demanding in-game gameplay pictures of GT5. Protip people: there's no point to waste your time with this guy.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Dina said:
I thought Supercrab's comparison was pretty smart and spot-on, but I guess it does paint GT5 in a negative light, so feel free to disagree.

This isn't anything new, there's been at least a dozen in-game comparisons, all with the same result.

AndyD

aka andydumi
SeaOfMadness said:
because they are not "bogus" photo mode screens. likely they are exactly what you'd get if YOU took them in photo mode. i think people were smart enough to know that photo mode is not the same as gameplay. it's always been that way.

somewhere someone got the idea that gameplay would look like that (?) and is now disappointed, but i for one wasn't expecting the gameplay visuals to match photo mode.. knowing what I know about game development, that's never the case.

Che said in several quotes that the only difference between photo mode (as shown in PR shots) and gameplay mode (just now really seen with the demo) is aa and effects, same models. This appears to have been bull. Since he is the official PR for F3, he was trusted when he reassured people that the shots he posted were representative of gameplay and that this was an improvement since past titles. Obviously people trusted him and are now seeing a different reality.

Here is one quote:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16902781&postcount=4169

The fact he has been missing in action in the demo thread, despite being at TGS, is a little off putting, considering he is usually very available even during shows, its not like Japan and TGS are not net connected.

Now people want a nice comparison of in game shots between games, no more photo mode and selection screen stuff, since its obviously not what we play.

jett said:
Dear god you're probably the biggest hypocrite in this bitch. Just some pages ago you were demanding in-game gameplay pictures of GT5. Protip people: there's no point to waste your time with this guy.

here you go. just car models:

30voz83.png

b5gvlu.png

Guess which is which.

This is taken from the gameplay screen comparison a few pages back.

I'm not trying to say Forza looks better. I just want everyone to make their own mind up. This is what you see when you drive (exterior view of course). Apples to apples and all that

jett said:

Same could be told for you but x1000

jett

D-Member
SeaOfMadness said:

30voz83.png

b5gvlu.png

Guess which is which.

I'm not trying to say Forza looks better. I just want everyone to make their own mind up. This is what you see when you drive (exterior view of course). Apples to apples and all that

This is the last time I will address you because I'm quite tired of your bullshit attitude. Second one is from GT5P.

belvedere

Junior Butler
SeaOfMadness said:

Did you miss the .gif quoted dozens of times showing the in-game car model (pre-race camera rotation) from the side in all of it's flat textured wheel glory?

skyfinch

AndyD said:
Che said in several quotes that the only difference between photo mode (as shown in PR shots) and gameplay mode (just now really seen with the demo) is aa and effects, same models. This appears to have been bull. Since he is the official PR for F3, he was trusted when he reassured people that the shots he posted were representative of gameplay and that this was an improvement since past titles. Obviously people trusted him and are now seeing a different reality.

The fact he has been missing in action in the demo thread, despite being at TGS, is a little off putting, considering he is usually very available even during shows, its not like Japan and TGS are not net connected.

Word on the streets is that he ingested some bad sushi then ran off into the night. Dan's assembling a search party as we speak.

Maybe it's cause I'm also playing ODST which is a pile of jags, but I didn't have an issue with jaggies in the Forza III demo. They are there though, I especially noticed them around the fence/guardrail on the long corner at the bottom of the first hill.

skyfinch

grendelrt said:
The forza evo x cockpit isnt accurate if its supposed be stock. The vent coloring is all wrong, look at the GT5 shot its much closer, the vents look weird as well. The forza shot is an MR, but the vents arent silver or shaped that way as far as i know. Thats my fuel for more war :) And dont call BS i drive an Evo X :p

I don't know if it's the same car. The exteriors are different. GTP has fog lamps and grey plastic grill.

Zaptruder

Banned
SeaOfMadness said:

30voz83.png

b5gvlu.png

Guess which is which.

the bottom one definetly looks better...

but I was kinda expecting this to be a trick question.

But I recognize the blue sheen on GT's windscreens any day of the week and twice on sunday.

ShogunX

gran-turismo-5-prologue-20080314021640510.jpg

Standard Def? Or shock horror bad shot? Why are some of the stadium lights/(microphones?) floating in mid air?

On a serious note why play games/wait until mid 2010 when we can scrutinize screenshots?

Iknos said:
Most games use a model swap on damaged parts. You failed to mention the broken glass and bumpers.

If you've played the demo you would have seen the damage model has been much improved. Every part is more sensitive to damage.

the damage seemed the same as F2 to me just on better looking car models. there are times i just barely touch the back of a car and i see the texture model swap to a fucked up rear end all sratched up and dented, and the parts that fall off on the track react exactly how they did before. you hit them they glide around on the skating rink ice...they seem to float just above the ground.

sound in F3 is pretty fuckin awesome though:D. i also noticed a bug when you get really close to a movable object like the turn arrow signs some weird ass type shadow shit pops up, may make a youtube vid on it in a few.

anh_duong

Banned
I finally worked out the purpose of this thread:

It is a decoy thread to get all the xbox and sony fanboys to congregate in this one place and thus leave the rest of neogaf forums free of trolling.

Don't understand what I am talking about?

Here is the analogy:

It's like a carefully placed turd (this thread) to attract the flies (fanboys) and make sure they don't land on the real pieces of meat (neogaf forum).

BeeDog

anh_duong said:

It is a decoy thread to get all the xbox and sony fanboys to congregate in this one place and thus leave the rest of neogaf forums free of trolling.

Here is the analogy:

It's like a carefully placed turd (this thread) to attract the flies (fanboys) and make sure they don't land on the real pieces of meat (neogaf forum).

:lol You figured it out this late?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Shogun PaiN said:
Standard Def? Or shock horror bad shot? Why are some of the stadium lights/(microphones?) floating in mid air?

On a serious note why play games/wait until mid 2010 when we can scrutinize screenshots?

Wow, how long did it take you to find the worst Prologue shot in existence? I hope the cost (your already questionable credibility) was worth it.

Interfectum

anh_duong said:

Here is the analogy:

Looks like you caught the scent too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SeaOfMadness said:

30voz83.png

b5gvlu.png

Guess which is which.

The bottom shot looks a lot nicer, I think. It's all in the lighting and shadows. The models are different versions of the R8, it would seem, so it's tough to judge that.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Interfectum said:
The Forza 3 demo has a shitload of aliasing problems too.

Woah. Full stop. I'm enjoying the mud slinging here. But this is just not true. This is flat out false. This is a comment that says either 1) you haven't played the demo or 2) you're just lying for the fun of it.

Interfectum

RSTEIN said:
Woah. Full stop. I'm enjoying the mud slinging here. But this is just not true. This is flat out false. This is a comment that says either 1) you haven't played the demo or 2) you're just lying for the fun of it.

Unless you are playing on an SDTV, there are aliasing problems. I've played the demo.

Top Bottom