• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 - Bathurst circuit debut

nynt9

I don't know if this is the right thread for this and I can't create threads so here goes:

First Forza Motorsport 5 Japanese Preview from Tokyo Game Show Laments Severe Visual Degradation from E3 Build

The writer, Seiji Nakamura, laments a severe visual downgrade from what he experienced at E3. The gist of the problem is that in the Forza 5 corner of the Microsoft booth things looked so bad that the monitors seemed badly adjusted. Aliasing and jaggies were standing out.
In the Forza 5 press room the situation was even worse, with the picture quality defined as “rough” like what you’d see if the output was 720p, with a definite visual degradation from the E3 version.
Nakamura-san continues by saying that the quality simply wasn’t the same as the original Forza 5, and the version he tried at Tokyo Game Show did not reach the level of the screenshots of the game at all. He actually asked a the Japanese product manager for the game bout the problem, and all he was told is that the folks at Microsoft are aware of the problem.

Here's some off screen gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdG81jhSie8

Article here:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09...ts-severe-visual-degradation-from-e3-version/

What happened? It's kind of hard to tell from the offscreen video, but has the game been downscaled visually? Also that lens flare is way too powerful and annoying.

Bobnob

That video looks better than most i've seen and would guess that its the build seen at TGS is exactly the same build that was shown at Gamescom and that is also the demo build that is touring around the US with Major Nelson.

I,m not worried!

ShapeGSX

That video looks better than most i've seen and would guess that the build seen at TGS is exactly the same one that was at Gamescom and that is also the demo build that is touring around the US with Major Nelson.

I,m not worried!

Yeah, it isn't as if they come up with a new build for every conference.

Xanadu

Banned
zPotentxL 23 hours ago
When will game developers ever understand that racing games on the track is boring as hell...

i love youtube

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Eh, Drive Club's tvs were fucked at Pax so I won't be surprised if the Forza TVs were calibrated wrong too.

That's what I think too...but why would MS say "they're aware of the problem"?

Also, jeez, the first thing I would do is get someone who knows what they're doing and adjust the damn monitors. How Sony/MS could ignore something like that is beyond me.

What happened? It's kind of hard to tell from the offscreen video, but has the game been downscaled visually? Also that lens flare is way too powerful and annoying.

what in the fuck... is that the latest build? It can't be, that looks god awful.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
... huh

ie7FFCexcnubT.gif

Edit

That sun... wtf

iXq14L8kNduku.gif

I have no idea, can't see them showing the same track and cars again on a newer build though. Surely it'd be a waste of time but the glitches were not there before iirc.

Mascot

I thought 'no downgrades' had already been confirmed?

You can't tell shit from a crappy YouTube video.

Turn 10 could nip this in the bud by releasing some direct feed from the latest build.

Bobnob

That's what I think too...but why would MS say "they're aware of the problem"?

T10 said this after Gamescom. Rear veiw mirror pop ins and out have been in this build all along i dont think anyone will know what state the game is in until after they release it.The fact that T10 are aware tells me that there's nothing to worry about.

Do you people who constantly post about it not drive?

I drive and I can categorically state that my eyes don't create lens flare....at all.

Also, they keep putting the sun really low, but in reality most real life races take place either at night, or mid day when the sun is at its highest point - or thereabouts. You rarely see races take place as the sun is setting, which is what Turn 10 seem to be aiming for, for whatever reason.

Everyone who experiences this while driving, and particularly while racing under sunset conditions, has already taken care of this issue by wearing shades or at the very least dropping the sunflaps (or whatever they are called in English). Personally I am tall enough that I often can just move my head back and up to have the roof block the son.

That's the whole point of us complaining about this happening in the game - the game doesn't allow us to deal with it. And yes, our eyes are not cameras, so all that criticism is valid too.

Mascot

No matter how 'realistic' the blinding FM5 sun might be, general consensus seems to be that it is overdone, overused and annoying.

It's receiving a lot of complaints, so it'll be interesting to see whether it'll be toned down at all before release.

Overdone or not's an eye catching effect, I reckon that's what they are going for over subtle realism, especially with so many other games launching at the same time.

Shaneus

Overdone or not's an eye catching effect, I reckon that's what they are going for over subtle realism, especially with so many other games launching at the same time.
Can't wait until everyone's online and everyone stacks at the same corner because they're all blinded by the same sun that never changes position.

hadareud

The Translator
It's definitely not overdone, if anything it's still relatively mild compared to the real world at certain times of the day.

Overused? Seems so.

Yeah it could become a pain in the arse very quickly.

I find something similar on F4's Infineon, racing in the dusk setting the track and roadside merge and I cannot see a damn thing and become disoriented, maybe my colour blindness doesn't help so I'm thankful we have a different time of day there. Hopefully we'll have one for all tracks in F5.

eso76

Helios T10

Whilst I can't spill the beans completely, there's some new stuff coming at Eurogamer Expo.

yay, this week we might finally see something new.
Plus i'm SURE they have something planned for RUSH NA launch :p

9741521632_0d0633c6d7_c.jpg

Do you people who constantly post about it not drive?

In real life we can half close our eyes, change the angle of our head and so forth.

It's nice to see effects in games but when it's forced into your field of vision on a CORNER of all places it's bullshit, it just needs to be dialed down a bit.

hadareud

The Translator
When you go into a corner in real life I'd advise against closing your eyes and turning your head, even if the sun is blinding you.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
we are back to discussing the sun. maybe forza should have its own thread dedicated to discussing the sun in all its glory.

Burai

shitonmychest57
In real life we can half close our eyes, change the angle of our head and so forth.

It's nice to see effects in games but when it's forced into your field of vision on a CORNER of all places it's bullshit, it just needs to be dialed down a bit.

Exactly. If I were racing a real car at that time of day I'd be using a smoked windscreen or helmet visor or have a sun strip on the windshield. Glare wouldn't be allowed to become an issue.

Top Bottom