• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 Micro transactions price table : or how to do it wrong

Kinyou

just ignore microtransactions if you don't want to pay for them, you can still do everything you want in the game!*

*game is designed entirely around frustrating the player until they start dropping cash in the store
Which doesn't happen everytime. Forza had micro transactions since 3 and this is the first time they fucked it up and apparently force the player to grind.

mackattk

It is bad enough with free mobile games that push this shit on you. Worse with paid mobile games. If this becomes a standard thing with SIXTY DOLLAR retail games.. fuck this generation. If people start buying into this shit, the only thing it will do is keep pushing the grind further and further.

Last generation, a new car might only take 5-10 races. This generation, I wouldn't be surprised if it could take 50 or more. Anything to push the game currency to people who (understandably) don't want to play the same race over and over to get to the next checkpoint.

genbatzu

This is another example of why alternative currencies for microtransactions are shady bullshit. All purchases should have to be done directly in real money. They are basically scamming people by obscuring pricing behind fake numbers.

isn't this exactly what microsoft did "last gen" with microsoft points?

i also see this in every F2P ever... always buy an even amount of fantasy currency (e.g. 4000 crystals) for lots of real money and the ingame prices are uneven all the time (e.g. 3957 crystals for a shiny hat). this way players loose the sight of how much money they spent, because fake currency is pretty high numbers, and after a purchase they have a small amount of fake currency left, and its just a bit too less to buy a new shiny thing (which will cost you like 57 crystals and after the shiny hat you have only 43 crystals left) , so you purchase more fake currency and then it's welcome in the loop

neorej

ERMYGERD!
If anything, these kind of things will help math-teachers get their students to pay attention in class again.

isn't this exactly what microsoft did "last gen" with microsoft points?

i also see this in every F2P ever... always buy an even amount of fantasy currency (e.g. 4000 crystals) for lots of real money and the ingame prices are uneven all the time (e.g. 3957 crystals for a shiny hat). this way players loose the sight of how much money they spent, because fake currency is pretty high numbers, and after a purchase they have a small amount of fake currency left, and its just a bit too less to buy a new shiny thing (which will cost you like 57 crystals and after the shiny hat you have only 43 crystals left) , so you purchase more fake currency and then it's welcome in the loop

It's a common trick in F2P games. Some even use multiple fake currencies to befuddle the customer even more. I'd have less anger at micro-transactions if they didn't resort to these sorts of scummy psychological tricks to part people from their money. I really wish a platform holder would say no, everything has to be sold in real money, not fake tokens or other nonsense.

no 60 dollar game should do microtransactions. This is the most annoying crap ever and will be more prominent next gen it seems.

These "tokens" shouldn't even exist in a $60 game.
This!

Either go f2p with micro transactions or go full price content complete...
Don't start fucking nickle and diming us because you think you can...
This shit is bad enough on mobile, it should never be encouraged to go mainstream on home consoles....
Christ, the fucking gaming business if so broken at this time....

shandy706

I've never bought any tokens in the Forza series...who would? I guess maybe the lazy or those that don't like a challenge.

I thought it was normal to race like crazy and "grind" (I don't consider it grinding) for the really expensive cars. I've done this for many years, across many racers, and never even thought of it as anything other than having to win a lot and race a lot for the best vehicles or an expensive car I want.

I wish they would drop the tokens/dlc that unlocks stuff, but still leave the difficulty and "grinding" to gain access to things. I like it "old-school" difficulty wise. :p

I don't want to pay to access things that should be free, but I also DO NOT want things handed to me like I'm a baby!

genbatzu

it was from yesterday stream on the second biggest french gaming site Gamekult. So yeah, confirmed to be in the retail game

as Basileus777 said, the trick is old and common, but what microsoft did here is disastrous... isn't this illegal? i mean false advertisement, selling the worst options as the best should be either illegal or legal limbo... at least in europe

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Microsoft don't get micro transactions.

I'll check to see how it works out in AUD when mine finishes updating.

daninthemix

The worse thing of all is that there are enough gamers out there who have the money to burn that this will probably pay off for MS.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I am under the impression that the changes are no more gift cars but you get paid more money pee race to make up for it. That sound about right?

Yes. I'm not sure about the get paid more money per race tho. How much money would one earn (without grinding a specific) on average in Forza 4, early in the career? Felt about the same (relatively speaking to the cost of cars in the game) but I honestly don't remember. Another thing that pissed me off but hopefully they've already patched in is that there was no way to sell a crappy or unwanted car to get at least some credits back. I mean, of course for the end game I'll want 'em all but while I'm working on the career I need every scraps I can make to afford the next car... or maybe I'm blind and indeed you can resell, I don't wanna swear by it.

It's brilliant - you can grind for tokens or buy them. If you choose to buy them, you get a better deal by 'grinding' your purchases.

It's so meta.

rrs

I miss the hell out of Tokyo Extreme Racer. Played it a lot back in the PS2 days...

Sadly the devs just make pachislot and related games now. The series was as addictive as Trackmania, you just had to race one more rival.

This can't be real. Not only does it get more expensive, I also have a hard time believing there's a 100€ tier.

That's F2P games for you.

That's fucked up. Hopefully people that buy it see that it's fucked up and only choose the first option.

I'm guessing they are idiots and that's a pricing error. If that's legit. Fuck MS hard. I will never go back to them, that is straight up price gouging and misleading.

stalker

It's brilliant - you can grind for tokens or buy them. If you choose to buy them, you get a better deal by 'grinding' your purchases.

It's so meta.

The only thing missing is a special microtransaction that allows you to buy a batch of 100 single-token packs at a time. I wonder what should be the right price for such a valuable option.

EDIT: wait, I thought that the "recommended" and "best value" were added by the OP as a joke but now I see they are in the table. That is almos false advertising!

The thing about these f2p models I dont get is, why would I pay you money to not play your game? Do you not want want me to play your game? Cause that's what you're telling me when you do this stuff. It's not worth playing ypur game and instead I should buy my way through.

Vorg

Banned
We should stop calling these microtransactions and start calling them something that implies that they're actually a scam. Suggestions anyone?

RetroStu

Banned
God i hate microtransactions, i wish people wouldn't buy any of them then developers would understand most people don't want them. I don't mind lengthy DLC that comes months later with new levels etc for certain games where its obvious they have developed it after the game released and are making it for fans to buy if they want but microtransactions and DLC on the disk really needs to stop.

sneaky77

The thing about these f2p models I dont get is, why would I pay you money to not play your game? Do you not want want me to play your game? Cause that's what you're telling me when you do this stuff. It's not worth playing ypur game and instead I should buy my way through.

Not when there is so many hundred cars that would require an obscene amount of time grinding to get enough credits to buy them.

Also you add the DLC cars, which you also have to buy with in game currency even after paying real money for the dlc

This kind of shit is what downgraded M$ massively for me over the last couple of years as a company.
I hope more and more people see this crap

Vorg

Banned
Gambling. It's what a lot of them actually are.

I was thinking of something that suggests that if you buy it you're actually being a fool. Like suckerfee. Or something like that. I'm sure someone will come up with something better.

Liha

Banned
1384976898-jetons.png

The devil has a name, Forza 5.

le.phat

Wow, and according to eurogamer, the more expensive cars cost around million tokens, while you can make 110.000 tokens per hour at the most. So you have to grind up 10 hours, give or take, for cars that are already in the game which you paid 60 dollars for. Who the fuck came up with this shit ?

So are you really upset since you were planning on buying these tokens or did you see this and think you just had a make a thread to complain about it? If people are too lazy too figure out how much they are paying for these then it's their own problem.

So something is only worth complaining about when it affects you personally.

You're a shitty person, and that was a shitty post.

RetroStu

Banned
Wow, and according to eurogamer, the more expensive cars cost around million tokens, while you can make 110.000 tokens per hour at the most. So you have to grind up 10 hours, give or take, for cars that are already in the game which you paid 60 dollars for. Who the fuck came up with this shit ?

Thats one of the biggest things for me, you have paid for the game and its contents, you shouldn't have to grind for 50 hours to buy a few of the best cars. I'm not saying games shouldn't have grinding in them but it needs to be realistic grinding like say 1 hour of events to buy the best car in the game etc.
Microtransactions are alright i suppose if people simply dont want to grind at all, but don't then lengthen grinding just to try and force people into paying.

Top Bottom