• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7, GT Sport, Project Cars 2. What are the biggest differences?

There can be in some games. For example the compression used in Forza Motorsport games means you can't use replay to judge the physics model.
GT is not that game though, the only difference that I've noticed and been confirmed by many others is motion blur, so in GT, replay's are pretty indicative of gameplay.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
GT is not that game though, the only difference that I've noticed and been confirmed by many others is motion blur, so in GT, replay's are pretty indicative of gameplay.

if adds something, so its not 1:1 indicative of gameplay. blur hides things. i only trust gameplay footages...

On topic:

PCars burned me hard, so even though it will probably be the most realistic of those three (Assetto Corsa is even more realistic but that's not the point), PC2 will be a sale buy for me. They took way too long to fix PC1, I remember they needed 4-6 major patches until the game got good, too many bugs, too many problems. I don't expect many cars but the variety of 1 was decent, so I don't doubt 2 will be the same.

Forza 7 seems to be a redemption story, from the good x/x360 games to the mess that was FM5, they started to turn it around with FM6 and FM7 seems to be even better. Already pre ordered it. Car list seems pretty good, plus it's huge. For someone that loves to race even slower cars that's a pretty good thing.

GTS seems to be a huge mess, catering to the hardcore without having the best physics or even the goddamn tracks. Always liked the series, have all the games from 1 to 5, but this one is looking more and more like a hard pass. They fixed what some people complained by throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

completely agree

i also don't get how people say GTS looks better visually - the lighting looks completely flat and fake to me, compared to something like Forza 7 with its more natural and varied light.

I wouldn't base anything on the graphic steering wheel in any racing game. It's not necessarily what the real steering inputs are doing.
If you look at the fake vibrations in pCARS1's steering, sure. But they are there to add to the feeling of immersion, what is the delay in Forza's wheel for?
I stick to my controller input smoothing theory. It might even say something about Forza's driving model, that too sudden inputs upset the car too much in unnatural and unrealistic ways so Turn 10 simply smoothes them out even for wheel peripherals, not just controllers, which makes sense considering how much harder the cars are to control in sim steering without the steering-angle helper from the "normal steering" mode.

Mascot

I wouldn't base anything on the graphic steering wheel in any racing game. It's not necessarily what the real steering inputs are doing.

Plenty of racing games map steering inputs correctly, both graphically on-screen and as actual steering inputs. It's pretty fundamental for any self-respecting sim.

why does a bit of 1:1 comparative hide from us to see?

1:1 hides nothing obviously but like a few people have said, GT Sport's replays are like gameplay footage anyway, apart from a bit of motion blur, which changes nothing in any big way at all.

I just hadn't seen any night footage (Gameplay or Replay) of PC 2 or Forza and was just asking to see if there was any footage to compare, I don't really care if one of them is 1 pixel better than the other or something stupid like that.

Synth

Honestly I think graphics comparison arguments should remain in the face-off thread that was designed to contain them. They've never been productive, and this thread could do without it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
1:1 hides nothing obviously but like a few people have said, GT Sport's replays are like gameplay footage anyway, apart from a bit of motion blur, which changes nothing in any big way at all.

I just hadn't seen any night footage (Gameplay or Replay) of PC 2 or Forza and was just asking to see if there was any footage to compare, I don't really care if one of them is 1 pixel better than the other or something stupid like that.

you can see night gameplay here on PC2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC1waZU2TWo&t

now compare the dynamic ToD and weather of both :)

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Honestly I think graphics comparison arguments should remain in the face-off thread that was designed to contain them. They've never been productive, and this thread could do without it.

but the thread is about the differences?

Synth

but the thread is about the differences?

Yea, but the intention of the OP seemed to be what separates them in terms of features and goals. Graphics isn't one of the biggest differences between them imo. There's an ongoing thread with over 10k posts discussing the graphical differences between racers, it exists because the topic would previously constantly derail other discussions about the games.

ethomaz

Banned
What about the depth of field, higher MSAA and higher LoD car models. Surely the replays don't run at 30fps on OG PS4 just because of added motion blur?
Depth of field did you mean the camera angles? Because if you mean when the game stop to render de graphics it is the same.
I can try to find where it was compared pictures but the aliasing looks to be the same... if it is higher AA it didn't work like intented.
Higher LOD for cars out of your vision? Yeap... cars far way from you use low LOD but all cars close to you use the same LOD in both replay and gameplay.... maybe due camera angle replay needs to use more cars in high LOD while in gameplay only the cars close to you uses high LOD.

You can compare yourself.

YszdV4.png

zKTDgv.png

Images source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239706675&postcount=4801

amar212

If you look at the fake vibrations in pCARS1's steering, sure. But they are there to add to the feeling of immersion, what is the delay in Forza's wheel for?
I stick to my controller input smoothing theory. It might even say something about Forza's driving model, that too sudden inputs upset the car too much in unnatural and unrealistic ways so Turn 10 simply smoothes them out even for wheel peripherals, not just controllers, which makes sense considering how much harder the cars are to control in sim steering without the steering-angle helper from the "normal steering" mode.

Since I am not playing Forza since X360, I have to ask is that still a thing? I still have vivid memories of all controversies we had backthan but I thought it has been fixed since FM4?

Since I am not playing Forza since X360, I have to ask is that still a thing? I still have vivid memories of all controversies we had backthan but I thought it has been fixed since FM4?

Inside Sim Racing FM6 Review said:
Cameras

• Has enough views to please everyone
  • Cockpit Field Of View sits too far back on most cars
  • Would like the ability to move the seat forward
  • Cant turn drivers arms or wheel off
  • On-screen steering inputs lag behind yours but seems visually only

And I'm saying that this is from an average-over-X-frames input smoothing algorithm to take out sudden spikes from controller input that would otherwise lead to overreactions in the physics engine. This is necessary the slower the physics engine runs, but Forza's is supposed to run at 300fps (or was it 360fps?), anyway it's around where the current PC sim standard is and shouldn't lead to unusual problems.

Grassy

Depth of field did you mean the camera angles? Because if you mean when the game stop to render de graphics it is the same.
I can try to find where it was compared pictures but the aliasing looks to be the same... if it is higher AA it didn't work like intented.
Higher LOD for cars out of your vision? Yeap... cars far way from you use low LOD but all cars close to you use the same LOD in both replay and gameplay.... maybe due camera angle replay needs to use more cars in high LOD while in gameplay only the cars close to you uses high LOD.

You can compare yourself.

Images source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239706675&postcount=4801

Depth of field effect:
gtsportj6snn.png

Crappy Youtube capture but DoF effect is where the camera is focused on the car and the foreground/background is slightly out of focus.

I just know since the PS3/360 days, both Forza and Gran Turismo had 30fps replays with extra effects, higher detail models etc. So I figured that would carry over as GT Sport also has 30fps replays on OG PS4 at least. As per Digital Foundry:

The improvements extend beyond gameplay too. Since the Gran Turismo series moved onto PlayStation 3, Polyphony has opted for 30fps replays, halving frame-rate in order to layer on additional effects and deploy higher detail models. This remains the case for Pro users running the 4K mode, and for base PS4 hardware operating at 1080p.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-gran-turismo-sport-ps4-pro-analysis

Top Bottom