• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7 Pre-Release Discussion (50GB Day1 Patch, Achievements, Demo/Previews on 19th)

Theorry

Yummie.

LastingWateryDormouse-max-14mb.gif

OmegaDL50

Lol, another paid car pack (Fate of the Furious cars) announced (of course not a paid one for ultimate edition owners, buy now!!!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTaSDCqmpnI

So that's two paid car packs (this and the Hoonigan one) before the game has even launched.

Considering the Ultimate Edition comes with the Car Pass, it's should have been known at least 6 months of future Car packs were in the works. The same as it was in Forza 6 and Horizon 3.

Even far back as Forza 3's Limited Edition which also had two car pack DLCs available at day one.

Now I wonder if the Fate of the Furious car pack will also be included in Horizon 3. The reason I ask is for owning the Ultimate Edition of Forza 7 gets you the Hoonigan pack for Horizon 3 as well.

Gestault

Lol, another paid car pack (Fate of the Furious cars) announced (of course not a paid one for ultimate edition owners, buy now!!!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTaSDCqmpnI

So that's two paid car packs (this and the Hoonigan one) before the game has even launched.

Wait, the Fate of the Furious car pack is free for Deluxe and Ultimate buyers. That's how it was announced. How did you learn about it thinking it was snuck in as an extra purchase for others?

Edit: Ah, I see what you're saying. I guess I'm of the mind that the 700 base cars are a (more than) fair amount for the normal version price. This is the opposite of gouging. They're making extra content if you want it. I only buy the base games, and that hasn't been a problem. They've given out free DLC cars consistently in the last several titles, too.

xrnzaaas

So what? There will always be people willing to spend extra.

Well you know for some it may be annoying that the main game will get less brand new cars than you receive from either one of these car packs.

Wait, the Fate of the Furious car pack is free for Deluxe and Ultimate buyers. That's how it was announced. How did you learn about it thinking it was snuck in as an extra purchase for others?

Edit: Ah, I see what you're saying. I guess I'm of the mind that the 700 base cars are a fair amount for the normal version price. This is the opposite of gouging. They're making extra content if you want it. I only buy the base games, and that hasn't been a problem. They've given out free DLC cars consistently in the last several titles, too.

It's a great deal for newcomers (especially those playing on PC), but huge disappointment for fans of the series. This line up consists of Forza 6 cars, Forza Horizon 3 cars and Forza Horizon 3 DLC cars. There are only a few brand new models and it's not like the car world has stopped since the last game. Plenty of new supercars are missing like the McLaren 720S, the Bugatti Chiron or the Ferrari 812 Superfast. I know that most of them will appear in the car packs, but it's a shame that you don't get anything extra for the base standard version of the game.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Why is the "50GB D1 patch" still in the title? Both this and the Turn10 guy interview from yesterday debunked that. Should be less than 20 patch and 30 4k assets (X1X only)

It was Turn 10 who actually first told us that the 50 GB patch was real when it wasn't.

Gestault

New Replay footage (half of screen) + art director interview, thanks VVV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypKA1Dk4-bw

Cool interview. I've appreciated their workflow for more than a generation at this point, though Lee maybe shouldn't throw out "built from scratch" when he's talking about re-authoring stuff to higher visual standards. Like, the results are brilliant in-game, but I don't like it when stuff gets overstated when it really doesn't need it. Unless every track is literally built from scratch (which I both doubt and don't expect), they shouldn't describe it that way. Their standards were high at the start of this gen, so they're reaping the benefits now. New or returning tracks like Maple Valley though, hell yeah.

The replay footage they show here looks crisp. It's so strange seeing their shadow solutions compared to PC2 and GTS, which both suffer from varying degrees of flicker. That's one of those issues that I understand, but it still totally ruins a scene for me.

cakely

I still think 6 had the best mix of light flare and brightness, you can really see the limits of the dynamic time of day and weather system in 7, hopefully a true forza only for Xbox X will fix these problems one day...

No such version of Forza Motorsport will exist. Microsoft has been adamant that all Xbox games will run on Xbox One X and the original Xbox One.

The version of FM that runs on Xbox Two will have all the bells and whistles ... more than enough GPU to run at 4k/60fps and enough CPU overhead to handle dynamic lighting and weather.

Free-Play has seen a large update in FM7. Could perhaps be useful info for the OT

Firstly, we are no longer restricted to doing just circuit racing. We can select the mode now, and do Drift, Drag, Time-Based Mode, Multi-class racing etc

Multiclass Confirmation here, see the dialog box text on the right

QJb6bc4.png

The car restrictions options have been improved upon hugely from 6. We can select ranges for PI, Curb Weight, Model Family, Power, Year, Region etc.

Weather options are there (for tracks that have dynamic weather). You can choose

* Start Race Scenario
* Mid Race Scenario
* Mid Race Probability (so chance of the mid race scenario happening)
* End Race Scenario
* End Race Probability

Within these five options you can choose lots of settings like;

* Partly Cloudly
* Overcast
* Summer Drizzle
* Light Rain
* Moderate Rain
* Heavy Rain
* Thin Fog
* Dense Fog
* Rain Thunder
* Rain Lightning

Qualifying is now an option in free-play sessions too with Grid Ordering by Best Lap (of the last race) and the ability to change scoring types. (Check the dialog box on the right for confirmation)

NDnGmez.png

r9pVFl4.png

So yeah, probably some important info there for a lot of people

Great info thanks! Any word on which tracks include dynamic weather?

OrigiNull

Is there a trick to getting the preload to work on PC? My Windows 10 store icon just says it does not work on this device but I am able to download the VIP, D1 Car Pack and the Hoonigan pack....??

I wonder if a) user made paint jobs will be easier to find/search for than in FH3 and b) we can have more than the 300 limit (or maybe less?) that was in FH3 too.

Avalt

Is there a trick to getting the preload to work on PC? My Windows 10 store icon just says it does not work on this device but I am able to download the VIP, D1 Car Pack and the Hoonigan pack....??

Windows Store --> ... --> Downloads and Updates --> Get Updates

The above did it for me.

Considering the Ultimate Edition comes with the Car Pass, it's should have been known at least 6 months of future Car packs were in the works. The same as it was in Forza 6 and Horizon 3.

Even far back as Forza 3's Limited Edition which also had two car pack DLCs available at day one.

Now I wonder if the Fate of the Furious car pack will also be included in Horizon 3. The reason I ask is for owning the Ultimate Edition of Forza 7 gets you the Hoonigan pack for Horizon 3 as well.

So, the Deluxe edition (and the Ultimate edition) always had a Day One Car Pack for basically as long as there been a Deluxe edition of Forza. The difference this time round is that the Day One Car Pack has a name that's not "Day One Car Pack" (and also a theme, "cars featured in The Fate of the Furious").

And no, the Furious car pack isn't going to be available in Horizon 3. Hell, I think the Hoonigan pack is the first time we saw a cross-Forza car pack, so assume that's going to be the exception.

I do find it interesting that we're now 2 for 2 on Forza 7 car packs with a tight theme. Usually car packs are whatever's ready to ship that month. I wonder if we're going to get themed packs for Forza 7's DLC. Then again, the VIP cars aren't themed, so probably not.

Did anyone have any streaming issues from a mechanical HDD in the PC demo? Debating downloading this into my 1tb mechanical instead of an SSD because it's 95 gb.

I was so excited when I found out that Dubai track is in Forza 7 but only to get disappointed as it's not Autodorme :( Is it based on something or is it flagship fantasy track of Forza 7? Also, do we know if Mugello and Suzuka were laser scanned or is it just visual update of the old tracks from FM4?

sant

Why are the menus so laggy on PC?

Also are there any updates on improving the FFB for wheels? People have said its bad,

TikeMyson

Great. Bought the Ultimate Edition yesterday and got 3 errors since then. The best thing is the download doesn't start where it stopped... no, it's starting at 0,00 GB. Very Very frustrating, since my connection is only 16 MBit. I'm trying it again after work today, when it doesn't work I'm trying to get a refund.

Great. Bought the Ultimate Edition yesterday and got 3 errors since then. The best thing is the download doesn't start where it stopped... no, it's starting at 0,00 GB. Very Very frustrating, since my connection is only 16 MBit. I'm trying it again after work today, when it doesn't work I'm trying to get a refund.

When restarting did you give it some time? It validates what's downloaded first so will look like it's starting at zero until it has checked what has been downloaded so far.

OmegaDL50

As I said in the other thread, I think the skyboxes are videos. High resolution 360º videos. Every other element of the game pass through a contour mask and is superimposed over the video. That's why if you enable MSAA, a black line of artifacts appear on top of the mountains. They can "play" the sky video or "stop" it in pre-defined turns so it gives the impression of dynamic clouds.

The problem with this solution is that you are always static in the same point under the sky. I mean, you will never move forward with respect to the clouds that you have above. When you know it and you look at the sky, it produces a strange sensation of being driving without moving. The sky is a big screen playing a video recorded with a static cam.

If the skyboxes are indeed high res videos. That would definitely explain some part of the games file size, as opposed to using a built-in volumetric sort of solution. There are other things to consider as well. Shader data, interior and exterior texture data for the cars. Track texture and shader data.

Oh yeah something I've been meaning to ask. Has Turn 10 said anything regards to the soundtrack for this game?

Usually the music playlist is something that bring attention to in highlight a few days prior to release. I've been following this game and I have not read anything in regards to it's music so far.

TikeMyson

When restarting did you give it some time? It validates what's downloaded first so will look like it's starting at zero until it has checked what has been downloaded so far.

Yeah, I just clicked download and waited... maybe it is validating to the point where it stopped and I'm getting the error again.

amardilo

I think I have a similar error. However it gets to about 50MB then gets stuck there for a while before stopping and throwing an error.

Also it seems to have 2 download bars (updating at the same rate) on the Windows Store 1 for Forza 7 and another for Forza 7 Ultimate.

elelunicy

I had the same problem with errors. What worked for me was downloading the Forza Motorsport 7 app alone instead of downloading the Ultimate Edition.

Don’t trust the progress the store app says. Sometimes it just starts at 0GB again even though it kept the progress from before.

TikeMyson

I think I have a similar error. However it gets to about 50MB then gets stuck there for a while before stopping and throwing an error.

Also it seems to have 2 download bars (updating at the same rate) on the Windows Store 1 for Forza 7 and another for Forza 7 Ultimate.

The 2 bars seem to be okay. The Forza 7 download is just the game and the ultimate download shows the progress of the game including the ultimate edition content.

frontieruk

If the skyboxes are indeed high res videos. That would definitely explain some part of the games file size, as opposed to using a built-in volumetric sort of solution. There are other things to consider as well. Shader data, interior and exterior texture data for the cars. Track texture and shader data.

Oh yeah something I've been meaning to ask. Has Turn 10 said anything regards to the soundtrack for this game?

Usually the music playlist is something that bring attention to in highlight a few days prior to release. I've been following this game and I have not read anything in regards to it's music so far.

They're aiming for something that would be heard in a garage and I've read Rock being the main influence

spuckthew

Not sure those fast and furious cars fit a sim racer but OK.

And big rigs/lorries do?

Anyway, Forza is not a sim racer; Forza is, and probably always will be, simcade at best. I enjoy the likes of Assetto Corsa and R3E like any sim racing fan, but Forza has features, content, and community matched by no other racing game.

Sebmugi

6 circuits (Day - night - weather):

- Virginia int. Raceway
- Silverstone
- Sebring
- Spa
- Nurburgring
- Le Mans

3 circuits (Day - Night)

- Yas Marina
- Daytona
- Circuit of America

6 circuits (Day - Weather)

- Top Gear
- Suzuka
- Maple Valley
- Homestead
- Brands Hatch
- Hockenheimring

17 circuits (Day only)

- Dubai
- Sonoma
- Test Track
- Catalunya
- Alps
- Indianapolis
- Lime rock
- Long Beach
- Laguna Seca
- Prague
- mugello
- Monza
- Rio de Janeiro
- Road America
- Road Atlanta
- Bathurst
- Watkins Glen

Either 12 circuits that offer the weather and 9 available overnight on 32

eso76

6 circuits (Day - night - weather):
3 circuits (Day - Night)
6 circuits (Day - Weather)
17 circuits (Day only)

Either 12 circuits that offer the weather and 9 available overnight on 32

Finally.

Not bad, when you consider even the tracks that have "day only" can still get quite dramatically different lighting conditions.

And big rigs/lorries do?

Anyway, Forza is not a sim racer; Forza is, and probably always will be, simcade at best. I enjoy the likes of Assetto Corsa and R3E like any sim racing fan, but Forza has features, content, and community matched by no other racing game.

Well actually, racing trucks is a motorsport form. I've seen many examples from Germany, where it's fairly popular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0PqI5peh4Y

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnl4ETfg8Pw

Top Bottom