• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7 Pre-Release Discussion (50GB Day1 Patch, Achievements, Demo/Previews on 19th)

Lego Boss

Yummie.

LastingWateryDormouse-max-14mb.gif

Looks meh.

6 circuits (Day - night - weather):

- Virginia int. Raceway
- Silverstone
- Sebring
- Spa
- Nurburgring
- Le Mans

3 circuits (Day - Night)

- Yas Marina
- Daytona
- Circuit of America

6 circuits (Day - Weather)

- Top Gear
- Suzuka
- Maple Valley
- Homestead
- Brands Hatch
- Hockenheimring

17 circuits (Day only)

- Dubai
- Sonoma
- Test Track
- Catalunya
- Alps
- Indianapolis
- Lime rock
- Long Beach
- Laguna Seca
- Prague
- mugello
- Monza
- Rio de Janeiro
- Road America
- Road Atlanta
- Bathurst
- Watkins Glen

Either 12 circuits that offer the weather and 9 available overnight on 32

No rain on Monza and Mugello? :( I was hoping for a weather on all tracks. I though that was the reason we not getting many new tracks this time cause they worked on a weather for the rest, really disappointed by this.

GHG

6 circuits (Day - night - weather):

- Virginia int. Raceway
- Silverstone
- Sebring
- Spa
- Nurburgring
- Le Mans

3 circuits (Day - Night)

- Yas Marina
- Daytona
- Circuit of America

6 circuits (Day - Weather)

- Top Gear
- Suzuka
- Maple Valley
- Homestead
- Brands Hatch
- Hockenheimring

17 circuits (Day only)

- Dubai
- Sonoma
- Test Track
- Catalunya
- Alps
- Indianapolis
- Lime rock
- Long Beach
- Laguna Seca
- Prague
- mugello
- Monza
- Rio de Janeiro
- Road America
- Road Atlanta
- Bathurst
- Watkins Glen

Either 12 circuits that offer the weather and 9 available overnight on 32

What's the logic behind this?

Why not just have everything for all tracks?

Yeah no idea what were they thinking lol. We only get one new fantasy track, 3 returning tracks from previous Forza games and they couldn't get at least weather for all of them? Really? I appreciate all the changes and improvements but common guys.

I can only assume that the reason is that probably they are using prebaked data for some elements like lighting, reflections, shadows, etc. (?)

I am a little disappointed after the unlimited options I am enjoying on Project CARS 2 but I like at least their track choices for the conditions.

Edit: Digital Foundry from the reveal of the game about the lighting:

We'll need to look at our captures more closely, but transitioning between multiple baked lighting models may be how Turn 10 has achieved this - it's an approach most recently seen in Horizon Zero Dawn.

Skyr

I can only assume that the reason is that probably they are using prebaked data for some elements like lighting, reflections, shadows, etc. (?)

I am a little disappointed after the unlimited options I am enjoying on Project CARS 2 but I like at least their track choices for the conditions.

Ye surely there is some kind of trickery involved that requires alot of effort.

I hope they keep working on it and release additional weather settings with a patch. I mean there is a chance right..

eso76

Some of the tracks are probably too complex graphically for the engine to handle rain on them (reflections on the road etc).
Tracks for which rain is available were probably built with a lower level of detail to leave some headroom.

While night obviously requires to model artificial lighting and redo a lot of textures (city tracks).

Ye surely there is some kind of trickery involved that requires alot of effort.

I hope they keep working on it and release additional weather settings with a patch. I mean there is a chance right..

Nope, zero chance. They didn't do it in 6 and they not gonna do it now. We gonna get monthly car packs, two big expensions and probably two new tracks with them.

I'ts almost like I'm having deja vu. Forza 2(5) to Forza 3(6) huge improvements, many new tracks, more cars more features. Forza 3(6) to Forza 4(7) less new tracks, less features etc. Just more polished previous game.

Some of the tracks are probably too complex graphically for the engine to handle rain on them (reflections on the road etc).
Tracks for which rain is available were probably built with a lower level of detail to leave some headroom.

While night obviously requires to model artificial lighting and redo a lot of textures (city tracks).

I don't think Monza or Mugello is more complicated for a rain than full Nurburgring or Le Mans.

c0de

You need something to complain so this is a service just for you :)
But seriously, I would not be surprised to hear that this is all due to the render "budget" of having a flawless 60fps.

We could have weather and night for all tracks, and then we'd get the wonderful fully playtested optimised always 60p gaming utopia that is Project Cars 2.

We could have weather and night for all tracks, and then we'd get the wonderful fully playtested optimised always 60p gaming utopia that is Project Cars 2.

I don't think that the quality issues of Project CARS 2 are because of the weather/time/date options the graphics engine can support.

Gestault

I don't think that the quality issues of Project CARS 2 are because of the weather/time/date options the graphics engine can support.

To be fair, the races with snow/ice being removed from the PC2 career are specifically because they didn't test how the vehicles/AI actually work in those settings. They included them because they wanted them, but they've found it's almost unbearable to play, hence them being removed soon. I love the context flexibility (and track count) in PC2, but unintentional issues like the ice (and track flooding in a few cases) show they haven't been able to actually QA what they're authoring, in a way that makes the game worse.

horkrux

I never expected all conditions for all tracks, so this doesn't come as a surprise. I guess optimizing them on all tracks to run with a locked 60fps would be too much of a burden.

frontieruk

We'll need to look at our captures more closely, but transitioning between multiple baked lighting models may be how Turn 10 has achieved this - it's an approach most recently seen in Horizon Zero Dawn.

This is correct and if the demo is to go by if you are actually facing the sun as the transition occurs its quite a harsh effect.

GHG

Thought as much. Imagine the size the game would be if they had pre-baked TOD/Weather scenarios for all tracks... That's a lot of data.

And it's a lot of playtesting, which I think is another big factor for them considering the level of obsession turn 10 have with polish and "locked" 60fps.

To be fair, the tracks with snow/ice being removed from career are specifically because they didn't test how the vehicles/AI actually work in those settings. They included them because they wanted them, but they've found it's almost unbearable to play, hence them being removed soon. I love the context flexibility (and track count) in PC2, but unintentional issues like the ice (and track flooding in a few cases) show they haven't been able to actually QA what they're authoring, in a way that makes the game worse.

They are being removed from the career mode but not the whole game. You will still be able set those races up in free race mode if you wish and want the challenge.

Gestault

They are being removed from the career mode but not the whole game. You will still be able set those races up in free race mode if you wish and want the challenge.

I understand that, I'm just saying in terms effort to create vs the added effort it takes to implement it without causing new problems. The exchange above was a question of why every track doesn't have every condition, as far as the game design is concerned. QA isn't inconsequential, so (for example in PC2) some track sections that flood in a way that both isn't realistic and also isn't functional for offline races isn't what people want.

Gek54

Can we do a true 24Hr Le Mans? I haven't seen anyone talk about about endurance racing. Would love to be able to save game during a pit and have accelerated day cycles for shorter endurance races.

frontieruk

Can we do a true 24Hr Le Mans? I haven't seen anyone talk about about endurance racing. Would love to be able to save game during a pit and have accelerated day cycles for shorter endurance races.

Sure I saw an interview where it was mentioned

To be fair, Some of the track are just not located at the cities that have rain. But I do agree that all tracks should at least have day night cycles.

Still confused. It the weather dynamic or baked?
Also..is there a review embargo?

Weather is dynamic - you can choose three weather slots and probabilities on tracks supporting weather.

Time of day is baked, however there seems to be some dynamic elements to this. So a night race might start at twilight and get darker. Just seen an event in the official Mixer stream where a race at Nurburgring GP started after sunset and got darker.

Weather is dynamic - you can choose three weather slots and probabilities on tracks supporting weather.

Time of day is baked, however there seems to be some dynamic elements to this. So a night race might start at twilight and get darker. Just seen an event in the official Mixer stream where a race at Nurburgring GP started after sunset and got darker.

Thanks! I hope there will be quite a few dusk and dawn 'day' settings.

cakely

No rain on Monza and Mugello? :( I was hoping for a weather on all tracks. I though that was the reason we not getting many new tracks this time cause they worked on a weather for the rest, really disappointed by this.

The weather (and especially the lighting) in FM7 clearly has some pre-calculated elements.

The results look great, though.

Justinh

Well actually, racing trucks is a motorsport form. I've seen many examples from Germany, where it's fairly popular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0PqI5peh4Y

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnl4ETfg8Pw

Wow, that was a horrifying crash. Glad to see that guy able to walk away from it.

I never knew that truck racing was a thing, so thanks for the links. It makes me feel like there's probably at least one person out there that's stoked for the truck racing in the game and that makes me a little happy (as silly as that sounds). I initially thought it was just like some "fun" thing they put in the game.

TheRed

I'm happy with PCARS 2 on PC, it's a blast in VR. But damn it I'm still tempted to buy this even after the demo was pretty underwhelming. Gotta at least hold off for some reviews if I can.

Best buy delivered the ultimate edition today!

Is the day 1 patch live? Do I run any risks or miss out on anything by playing it now?

Like forza 6 each track has to be designed for the different conditions, while we might get rain that comes and goes the track itself still needs to be designed and prepared for it.

It's like PGR4 where the different conditions for each track like the nurb having dry, rain and snow, were all seperate files on the disc, forza 7 is doing the same thing but with some lite dynamic changes on top of it.

It's a real shame and I expected more but they are still working off the forza tech engine designed years ago, they really need to use the xbox x to bring us more at this rate.

eso76

Anything interesting come up I've not been able to watch

Nothing new (but I'm on and off) but they are showing every track and tons of events.
The game looked consistenly good, gorgeous at times. Heck, with the right lighting conditions even Sebring looked great :p
And it's being played on regular XB1. Not that the differences with the XB1X version are such you could tell them apart in a mixer stream, but anyway.
Highlights: a race in Yas Marina starting at night and ending at dawn. Donuts produce copious amounts of smoke that stays on screen for a while (that was in time attack though, I suspect that would be cut back for full grid).
Foggy dawn on Daytona, I thought looked great.

rjcc

The preload is only 67GB? will the day one patch install after? I hope I don't have to wait for the game to unlock.

Top Bottom